• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March NPD Thread (The story? PS3 = weak, SW sales = insane)

test_account

XP-39C²
Ye, its amazing isnt it? :) A handheld for $50 that got thousands of games avalible is outselling a $599 console that hardly got any great games out, unbelivable!
not.

farnham

Banned
test_account said:
Ye, its amazing isnt it? :) A handheld for $50 that got thousands of games avalible is outselling a $599 console that hardly got any great games out, unbelivable!
but PS3 is brand new and GBA is like 6 years old (i believe it was out 2001)

GBA already has a healthy successor too.. and hardly any new releases.. at least not big ones...

Jewbacca

Banned
test_account said:
not.

Hmm by that logic Gamecube should have blown PS3 out of the water.

Polari

test_account said:
not.

So what you're saying is it proves Sony were absolutely insane pricing the PS3 at $600 and are totally screwed?

I think the main thing here is the "thousands of games available" part. A lot of good ones too, something you can't really claim the gamecube has...

test_account

XP-39C²
farnham said:
but PS3 is brand new and GBA is like 6 years old (i believe it was out 2001)

GBA already has a healthy successor too.. and hardly any new releases.. at least not big ones...

Well.. is it hillarious that PS2, a 7 year old console, is outselling Wii? ;) GBA got alot of Pokémon games etc. etc. and their cheap.

Polari said:
So what you're saying is it proves Sony were absolutely insane pricing the PS3 at $600 and are totally screwed?

No? I'm saying that its no big suprise that GBA is selling well.

test_account

XP-39C²
Havnt many stores pulled Gamecube games also? I know GBA games are still pretty common in stores, atleast the popular games (Mario, Pokémon etc.).

farnham

Banned
test_account said:
Well.. is it hillarious that PS2, a 7 year old console, is outselling Wii? ;) GBA got alot of Pokémon games etc. etc. and their cheap.
with GOW II out... which sold nearly a million units in one month..?

no it is not...

test_account said:
not.
PS3 never beating PS2 confirmed. :lol

Whilst not really comparable it does leave a bitter taste that the GBA is at this time in it's lifecycle (really OLD, only few new games coming out, successor that is 100% BC and is the hottest sh*t on the planet right now concerning video games) is more popular than PS3, even factoring in the price. Sony needs to step up pronto.

test_account

XP-39C²
Phife Dawg said:
PS3 never beating PS2 confirmed. :lol

Whilst not really comparable it does leave a bitter taste that the GBA is at this time in it's lifecycle (really OLD, only few new games coming out, successor that is 100% BC and is the hottest sh*t on the planet right now concerning video games) is more popular than PS3, even factoring in the price. Sony needs to step up pronto.

Never wont happend. You must just wait for pricedrop and the PS3 games, you know they are comming ;)

Sure, i can understand that people think its funny that GBA is outselling PS3, but i dont understand why people think its a big suprise. My point was just to show that its no suprise that GBA is still selling well, nothing else.

farnham

Banned
test_account said:
Never wont happend. You must just wait for pricedrop and the PS3 games, you know they are comming ;)

Sure, i can understand that people think its funny that GBA is outselling PS3, but i dont understand why people think its a big suprise. My point was just to show that its no suprise that GBA is still selling well, nothing else.
well outside of portability the GBA got nothing on the DS

so its quite amazing that the GBA is still selling.. DS can play GBA games after all

test_account

XP-39C²
Alkaliine said:
Hay guys the SNES has tons of awesome games and can be bought for like $10 these days, why isn't it outselling PS3?

Wow, tell me which store that still sell new SNES stuff for that price! I will go there and buy everything! I hope you dont talk about used and dirty stuff :(

Polari

test_account said:

I don't think a price drop, unless it's incredibly drastic, is going to matter. The momentum is gone. Developer support seems to be moving to Wii and 360 and the public seems indifferent to Blu-ray. Sure, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII are pretty heavy hitters, but when all is said and done, I don't think they're going to have that much of an impact.

It's also not that GBA is selling that well, it's that compared to 360 and Wii, PS3 is selling very, very poorly.

test_account

XP-39C²
farnham said:
well outside of portability the GBA got nothing on the DS

so its quite amazing that the GBA is still selling.. DS can play GBA games after all

Thats true, i'm alittle suprised myself to be honest, but GBA is a much cheaper alternative. I guess some kids have to settle for this instead of DS because of money issues.

test_account

XP-39C²
Polari said:
I don't think a price drop, unless it's incredibly drastic, is going to matter. The momentum is gone. Developer support seems to be moving to Wii and 360 and the public seems indifferent to Blu-ray. Sure, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII are pretty heavy hitters, but when all is said and done, I don't think they're going to have that much of an impact.

It's also not that GBA is selling that well, it's that compared to 360 and Wii, PS3 is selling very, very poorly.

I agree, a pricedrop alone isnt enough. About MGS 4 and FF13, they will sure sell alot of consoles, but how much is impossible to say. These 2 games arent enough either. Impossible to say whats going to happend in 1-2 years, we'll see what happends :)

Mar

Kaitei grunkan said:
Yeah, because a GBA is like 50$.. that's really hilarious.

Wow. People are still using this card.

Here, just for you.

grudgematch.jpg

Now where's that Cartman bitter tears picture when you need it.

Neomoto

I can't help but think about the gamecube situation when people talk about how big FF XIII and MGS 4 are gonna be. Weren't people saying the same thing but then it whas Zelda, Mario and Metroid? Yeah, that really helped the gamecube in that situation ;) And, the cube was even performing better than the ps3 is now in the same number of months, and had a far lower pricepoint, and had the Nintendo fans and arguably enough good games, unlike the PS3 for that matter. So I agree that Sony better step up the plate before it's to late. It's been almost half a year already so they can't afford to go this way for long, because I think the PS3 is in some kind of negative snowball effect right now.

antiloop

Neomoto said:
I can't help but think about the gamecube situation when people talk about how big FF XIII and MGS 4 are gonna be. Weren't people saying the same thing but then it whas Zelda, Mario and Metroid? Yeah, that really helped the gamecube in that situation ;) And, the cube was even performing better than the ps3 is now in the same number of months, and had a far lower pricepoint, and had the Nintendo fans and arguably enough good games, unlike the PS3 for that matter. So I agree that Sony better step up the plate before it's to late. It's been almost half a year already so they can't afford to go this way for long, because I think the PS3 is in some kind of negative snowball effect right now.

Were you around back in the PS2 days though? It's not like it has any real PS defining exlusive games out yet. Motorstorm and Resistance, F1? The PS2/Sony fan base do they even buy FPS games?

szaromir

Banned
antiloop said:
Were you around back in the PS2 days though? It's not like it has any real PS defining exlusive games out yet. Motorstorm and Resistance, F1? The PS2/Sony fan base do they even buy FPS games?
And after Uncharted we'll probably read 'do sony fans even play adventure games?' excuses.

jarrod

Banned
test_account said:
not.
Minor correction but GBA still retails for $79.99 (SP) to $99.99 (micro). Most places actually do forced bundles of it now for higher prices (Wal-mart.com for example only has 2 game SP bundles for $100+)

test_account said:

Here's the thing, the GBA isn't selling well, not by any stretch of the imagination. 150k a month for a system that has sold 30 million plus in the states = life support.

The PS2 isn't outselling the Wii either, unless not anywhere where both are readily available.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sho_Nuff82 said:
The PS2 isn't outselling the Wii either, unless not anywhere where both are readily available.

Avalible or not, PS2 is still outselling the Wii. I'll let the numbers do the talking:

PlayStation 2 280K
Wii 259K

;)

If both supplied 1 million consoles each month the numbers would have been different indeed, but its not the case at the moment.

TDG

Banned
antiloop said:
So it has come to PS3 vs GBA, 360 vs PSP and Wii vs DS now?

This thread wins.
Oh, and the only console there that beats a handheld is the 360.

XBOX 360 WINS THE CONSOLE WAR: CONFIRMED!

fresquito

test_account said:
I'll let the numbers do the talking:

PlayStation 2 280K
Wii 259K

;)
First, this is the first month when PS2 beats Wii. Second, Wii was severely supply constrained. Third, PS2 not only beat Wii, but all other consoles. Fourth, GBA only outsold PS3.

So yeah, stretch as long as you want. B

test_account

XP-39C²
fresquito said:
First, this is the first month when PS2 beats Wii. Second, Wii was severely supply constrained. Third, PS2 not only beat Wii, but all other consoles. Fourth, GBA only outsold PS3.

So yeah, stretch as long as you want. B

I did an edit before you posted, read it ;)

Evlar

Banned
GBA is a dead system. According to Nintendo's recent annual forecast they will no longer be producing new units. Marketing for the system and its games is now next to non-existent. It has been entirely eclipsed in sales, marketing, and mindshare by Nintendo's next-gen handheld, the DS.

So yes, it is surprising in one sense that Sony's newest system, touted as the most competent console on the market backed by some of the biggest publishers in the business and all the marketing in the world can't beat Nintendo's dead handheld. Old beating new, small and simple beating big and beautiful. In another way it isn't surprising, in the real world sense where people buy products based on needs and wants and not on sloganeering or a comparison of spec sheets: GBA is far cheaper with a vast library of games selling to a more reliable market (parents of schoolkids looking for a cheap diversion versus pro-sumers trying to stay on the cutting edge.)

We all agree that PS3 has to eventually start outselling the dead handheld, right? If nothing else the supply of GBAs will simply dry up, while Sony will presumably keep making PS3s for a while. But it does bring up the question, if PS3 struggles so hard to match GBA what will it take for it to surpass other systems that are cheaper, have bigger libraries, AND have the added benefit of actual marketing budgets, new games, and are still being made by the manufacturer?

Eteric Rice

The Sphinx said:
GBA is a dead system. According to Nintendo's recent annual forecast they will no longer be producing new units. Marketing for the system and its games is now next to non-existent. It has been entirely eclipsed in sales, marketing, and mindshare by Nintendo's next-gen handheld, the DS.

So yes, it is surprising in one sense that Sony's newest system, touted as the most competent console on the market backed by some of the biggest publishers in the business and all the marketing in the world can't beat Nintendo's dead handheld. Old beating new, small and simple beating big and beautiful. In another way it isn't surprising, in the real world sense where people buy products based on needs and wants and not on sloganeering or a comparison of spec sheets: GBA is far cheaper with a vast library of games selling to a more reliable market (parents of schoolkids looking for a cheap diversion versus pro-sumers trying to stay on the cutting edge.)

We all agree that PS3 has to eventually start outselling the dead handheld, right? If nothing else the supply of GBAs will simply dry up, while Sony will presumably keep making PS3s for a while. But it does bring up the question, if PS3 struggles so hard to match GBA what will it take for it to surpass other systems that are cheaper, have bigger libraries, AND have the added benefit of actual marketing budgets, new games, and are still being made by the manufacturer?

Actually, Nintendo corrected the ones who said that. They're still producing GBAs, no worries.

But yeah, it's a dying hand held. It's legacy lives on through the DS, though.

The Sphinx said:

It is a matter of inevitably that the PS3 will beat the GBA. I think the underlying stigma here is that no one expected a comparison of any kind to be possible between the two systems to be comparable so early in the PS3's life. The PS3 underachieving to the point that the GBA is beating 5 months after launch it is a really telling indicator, especially when the GBA has already been rendered obsolete.

Top Bottom