• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sonic Blast (Oh god this is terrible!)

Boogiepop

To start, a link to my other Sonic R/LTTPs:
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Heroes
Sonic 06
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic the Hedgehog Game Gear
Sonic 2 Game Gear
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Labyrinth
Tails Adventure

So yeah, continuing on my ride through the Game Gear Sonic games, I've finally hit Sonic Blast. Now, I'd heard bad things, so I went in with pretty low expectations. As a result, I was surprised to find the first three Zones not... completely terrible. They weren't GOOD mind, but they were at least manageable (though Sonic looked very silly in the loops). And then I hit Blue Marine Zone. And godDAMN is it frustrating. Just a giant messy maze of tubes and laggy underwater controls. To make matters worse I was collecting all the emeralds since that's linked to content here, so I took forever in Act 2. For the only time in these playthroughs (outside of the emerald for the Sky zone of Sonic 2 GG), I actually turned to looking for guides. And they STILL just barely helped. Ugh. I really think it may be the worst Zone in the series, and considering what I've played thus far that's saying something.

Anyway, the last level was kind of annoying with the teleports and enemies that are hard to hit right, but nothing compared to what came before it. But I DO want to give a shoutout to the proper final boss, who is super annoying not because he has a hard pattern (you're invincible if you duck in a corner, it would seem), but because you can't see where you're jumping, so you have to feel it out in the invisible void above his head and hope you don't land on the spikes. Yuck.

So yeah, I'd advise anyone even vaguely considering playing this game to avoid it, if only because Blue Marine Zone will drive you insane. Man, I really hope Tails' Sky Patrol and Spinball GG aren't awful...

I kinda think you should've just had one thread for the entire series instead of one for each game. <_<

And yes, Blast is widely considered to be utter garbage. Mind-bogglingly, there's also a Master System version, which looks even worse.

IS 3D Blast and Blast the same game?
Nope.

NotLiquid

I always found most classic Sonic games palatable in presentation but the graphic style in this game was just straight up terrible. I never bothered playing more than a stage because of it. I'm that shallow.

Doesn't seem like I'm missing out on much though.

Boogiepop

I kinda think you should've just had one thread for the entire series instead of one for each game. <_<

I actually tried that (that's what the "Tails Adventure" link is) but it ended up being me just posting to myself IIRC. But yeah, maybe I should've made a general Sonic GG thread, as my big problem seems to be that these are so short. I mean, posting a Sonic 06 or Black Knight thread once a week isn't so bad, but I do seem to be spamming the board a bit with these GG games. Sorry about that! (Though at this point I only have two GG games left. Maybe I'll try combining the console and GG Spinball games into a single thread or something...)

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
A hardcore Sonic fan over here. I grew up with the Master System games as a child and had many childhood sessions playing through, enjoying and completing them all. I love the original series of eight-bit games that started with the amazing Sonic 1 and ended with the glorious Triple Trouble. Blast on the other hand? I never even knew the game existed until I saw my nephew playing it a few weeks back. I took one look at the footage and instantly thought "My god this game is a catastrophe". Watching some YouTube videos out of curiosity only strengthened that idea.

I appreciate what you're doing OP. I love retro gaming (particular when it involves fondly remembered and much-loved franchises) but some of your choices are bordering on masochism. Where's your playthrough of Sonic Adventure 2? Sonic Colours? Sonic Generations? It feels you're specifically going for the obscure and super rare Sonic games that unfortunately have the side effect of being the trainwrecks of the series. I can understand the mainline Master System games. They're all good games outside of maybe Sonic 2 because of its difficulty, but Sonic Blast? Really?

You sir are a stronger man than I.

Here's Sonic Blast in a nutshell

loops_zps5810710a.jpg

Oh well, 3D Blast is bad as well, can't wait till the OP has to suffer through that
Not really. I actually really like 3D Blast, particularly the versions with Richard Jacques's soundtrack (Saturn/PC).

Does it play much like Sonic? No. Does that automatically make it bad? Your mileage may vary, but I don't think so personally.

Yeah, Blast isn't that great. I don't think it's THAT much worse than Aspects' other Sonic platyformers, honestly -- I mean, Sonics 2 (GG/SMS of course), Chaos, and Triple Trouble aren't exactly great games either -- but it is subpar. I'm not sure if I've played it enough to say that I do think it's worse than those other three games, so my least favorite of theirs is probably Sonic 2, honestly, but yeah, Blast isn't good either; it's like those other three, but plays more slowly. I'm just not so sure that there's some big drop in quality from Aspect's other three GG platformers... all four of them are average to below-average games. I guess the slower speed is a negative though, yeah. The GG just wasn't meant for prerendered graphics...

M-PG71C

Are you out of your damn mind, son? Me too. I bought the fucking game on the eShop out of pure curiosity. I've played Chinese Sonic rip-offs that were better.

I salute you.

Sami+

I always found most classic Sonic games palatable in presentation but the graphic style in this game was just straight up terrible. I never bothered playing more than a stage because of it. I'm that shallow.

Doesn't seem like I'm missing out on much though.

I'm the same way. God damn, that game is hideous.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
i remember one day being completely bored with the eshop choices that my finger fluctuated over the purchase button for this game. Then Mario appeared on my kichen sink with a pup in his hand, ready to strangle him. Thanks, Mario

Lijik

I suffered through blue marine zone and then gave the fuck up at silver castle when they pulled the exact same shit but with teleporters instead of pipes. Awful as fuck game

Top Bottom