• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

see5harp

No, they initially made a product that was designed to fuck over consumers and they got ultra salty and reversed course once pre order numbers leaked out and they were getting killed by mainstream media. Their initial intent and reversal shows me that they have zero confidence in their product. For months we were told that the Xbox One is the future and that its policies were the future of gaming. Fast forward several months later and those policies they were touting were almost completely cut out of the product.

Okay so what I just said then. They revealed a product that got a really poor reception so they switched some policies pre release to attempt to get people back on board. Perhaps they realize the importance of the launch window and decided that it was best to be flexible. I still don't understand how that's a bad thing. Maybe if Nintendo had been able to adapt to the market, their hardware and software numbers wouldn't be so bad right now.

tfur

Well then, prepare to be disappointed. Things will look better but only to the extremely trained eye. There will be zero effect on the gameplay side and if something were only possible on the PS4 and not the Xbox One, I can guarantee that it won't be added into either version of a multiplatform game.

Ah... the extremely trained eye, zero effect and guarantee's...

harSon

Banned
No, they initially made a product that was designed to fuck over consumers and they got ultra salty and reversed course once pre order numbers leaked out and they were getting killed by mainstream media. Their initial intent and reversal shows me that they have zero confidence in their product. For months we were told that the Xbox One is the future and that its policies were the future of gaming. Fast forward several months later and those policies they were touting were almost completely cut out of the product.

So basically they have the moral conviction of every multi-billion dollar company in existence? ie. none at all.

The last thing I am going to say about this is that MS is not making a big point out of it, lsiten to the podcast. It's the people that try to negate it as news worthy are making a bigger story out of it themselves.

That actually makes me feel better about it then

I'll have to listen to the podcast after work

I suppose it wouldn't matter to the general public anyways

I mean 53MHz upgrade isn't really a selling point

Rocco

Banned
Rumors about a minimal, possible GPU downclock = "Newsworthy, decision making stuff right there!! XBOX sux!"

Microsoft mentioning in a podcast the GPU has been increased = "Not news, means nothing!! Microsoft making a huge deal for PR spin. XBOX sux"

Bundy

Banned
Well then, prepare to be disappointed. Things will look better but only to the extremely trained eye. There will be zero effect on the gameplay side and if something were only possible on the PS4 and not the Xbox One, I can guarantee that it won't be added into either version of a multiplatform game.
Actually, -you- can't "guarantee" anything.
And you don't need "an extremely trained eye" to see visual differences in games, if you have better memory + better GPU in your system.

gtj1092

Why wouldn't they mention the clock speed before. But now they will. Is it because 853 > 800 or that people like upgrades no master how small? Wish they would release the spec sheet or say nothing at all.

Xbudz

yes ud lov that, wuld..nt uyou kekeke salti handegg cal me out f44 what? hold your L &

stay Mad like mikelsen

durn rite. 6day za go. ~~~200 pipdream fo4r mad men, l

sory no

My CBOAT translation:

"Yes, you'd love that wouldn't you? Hehehe. Dude called me out for what? [Hold onto your loss] and stay mad like [Mikkelsen]"

"Darn right I cleared that up. Six days ago. A 200mhz increase was a pipedream for mad men. I'm sorry, just, no."

[Edits in brackets] - Mads Mikkelsen plays Hannibal, I didn't know.

Greektown

Neo Member
This. PC developers (& probably even console developers) are going to start winding using GDDR5 as standard for their games along with next gen graphic/gaming engines within 2015 or 2016. And that could mean a bigger difference in multiplats between PS4 & Xbone.

Plus the GPU that Sony has inside of the PS4 will definitely help.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Only the Wii turned out to be right in that situation.

The ps2 was weaker than the GC and Xbox and it dominated that gen

Vashetti

Banned
Hang on just a minute...

Did Nelson not confirm a handful of weeks back that there would be no upclock? Like, as in outright dismiss it?

And they have done it anyway? (although not as much as originally rumoured)

If that is the case, no one should ever turn to him for answers or comment.

We knew that ages ago

iSLTVABsv32Ij.gif

jaypah

That actually makes me feel better about it then

I'll have to listen to the podcast after work

I suppose it wouldn't matter to the general public anyways

I mean 53MHz upgrade isn't really a selling point

I think it was more in line with "We're getting close to launch and everything is coming together nicely. In fact we were able to increase the clock by 53MHz". Then a bunch of people went "Yay" and another group went "so fucking what" because the internet happened.

SmokyDave

Rumors about a minimal, possible GPU downclock = "Newsworthy, decision making stuff right there!! XBOX sux!"

Microsoft mentioning in a podcast the GPU has been increased = "Not news, means nothing!! Microsoft making a huge deal for PR spin. XBOX sux"
Did the same poster make the two statements that you have quoted?

Would you mind linking me to those posts? I'm assuming you've viewed them recently if you copied them verbatim.

My CBOAT translation:

"Yes, you'd love that wouldn't you? Hehehe. Dude called me out for what? Hold your level and stay mad like [Jack] Nicholson."

"Darn right I cleared that up. Six days ago. A 200mhz increase was a pipedream for mad men. I'm sorry, just, no."

Some corrections. I think by hold your L he meant, Loss.

lol

FranXico

If they keep changing components and policies this thing will not make it this year. What a mess.

It will, alright.

Just keep in mind that an upclock is likely to stretch their chances as far as yields are concerned. It probably won't happen, but if 360 launch time failure rate repeats itself, we'll be able to guess why.

Rocco

Banned
The ps2 was weaker than the GC and Xbox and it dominated that gen

This is true of every gen.

Only now is there this belief among Sony stans that third parties will suddenly start developing based on the "most powerful" hardware for the first time in history.

This is not a hardware change. Its all software.

Which makes this all the more risky. Assuming the Xbone is already in manufacturing and this 53MHz bump is part of the day one patch, it means these units manufactured up to this point haven't been tested at these new speeds.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
My CBOAT translation:

"Yes, you'd love that wouldn't you? Hehehe. Dude called me out for what? Hold your level and stay mad like [Jack] Nicholson."

Good work. The Stargate team have some symbols they need you to look at.

The "most powerful" console has never "won" a generation. Ever.

That is all.

What do you even want to say? That having the most powerful console somehow prevents a company from winning a generation? The PS4 is not only more powerful, it also is cheaper and has incredible first party and third party support. And it will launch at the same time as the competition

see5harp

Weaker console generally equates to lower price point along with a larger install base so I'm not sure how you could possibly make any prediction at this point.

Rocco

Banned
Gemüsepizza;74421283 said:
What do you even want to say? That having the most powerful console somehow prevents a company from winning a generation? The PS4 is not only more powerful, it also is cheaper and has incredible first party and third party support. And it will launch at the same time as the competition

That none of this matters. The whole conversation being had in this thread. None of it matters.

FranXico

Which makes this all the more risky. Assuming the Xbone is already in manufacturing and this 53MHz bump is part of the day one patch, it means these units manufactured up to this point haven't been tested at these new speeds.

I doubt it. They probably have already tested the hardware at all clock speeds they could set it at.

The moderate increase in clock speed suggests that it should be quite safe, but, as I just posted above, one never knows.

kmag

It will, alright.

Just keep in mind that an upclock is likely to stretch their chances as far as yields are concerned. It probably won't happen, but if 360 launch time failure repeats itself, we'll be able to guess why.

I imagine the reason it's a small increase and a relatively weird number is that's it's more or less a free upclock in terms of yield. The tolerance of a chip can vary a bit from paper to when you actually get your hands on the final chips. If yields were an issue they probably wouldn't have bothered at this stage.

statham

My CBOAT translation:

you have some mad skillz

SmokyDave

Only now is there this belief among Sony stans that third parties will suddenly start developing based on the "most powerful" hardware for the first time in history.
Hi Rocco. You seem to have missed my post so I'll ask again. I'd like to track this poster down because I enjoy mocking idiots, but I simply can't find one at the moment:

Did the same poster make the two statements that you have quoted?

Would you mind linking me to those posts? I'm assuming you've viewed them recently if you copied them verbatim.

Cheers Rocco.

TheOddOne

My CBOAT translation:

tumblr_mmryvjqxJw1so15pvo3_r2_500.gif

Mads Mikkelsen, Mads Mikkelsen, Mads Mikkelsen, Mads Mikkelsen, Mads Mikkelsen,
Mads Mikkelsen, Mads Mikkelsen, Mads Mikkelsen, Mads Mikkelsen, Mads Mikkelsen.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Oh man.

Yes, the most powerful console has typically ended up in second place or so (N64 did, Xbox did, PS3 did), but that wasn't because they were the most powerful! Believing that to be the case is so utterly ridiculous. There are countless other factors involved. Of course, being the most powerful usually means you are also the most expensive, which is of course a problem. Not so this time around. For the first time ever (?) the most powerful console is also the cheapest (not counting Wii U, but I don't think it is really part of this particular conversation).

Okay so what I just said then. They revealed a product that got a really poor reception so they switched some policies pre release to attempt to get people back on board. Perhaps they realize the importance of the launch window and decided that it was best to be flexible. I still don't understand how that's a bad thing. Maybe if Nintendo had been able to adapt to the market, their hardware and software numbers wouldn't be so bad right now.

I don't know if you're being obtuse or what but when a company is so completely out of touch with the consumer that they have to double back on what they were touting as the future of gaming that is a terrible thing. The same morons that devised such a terrible anti consumer campaign with such arrogance (besides Mattrick) are still with the company. It took them getting their asses handed to them in pre orders to realize what a terrible fucking idea their philosophy was in the first place. It was insane when Crazy Ken Kutaragi did it and it is insane now.

prag16

Banned
It means they care about the consumers and want to improve their product. I have no problem with the console being improved since e3

Maybe they want to improve their product, but this certainly isn't evidence they "care" about anybody or anything, other than their bottom line. Let's not be silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom