• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
zlCfzRFagTE6hhmgCh

zlCfzRFau3QSceaHWj
zlCfzRFa3qoX5sv-LM

zlCfzRFa-C0fCDSIc_
zlCfzRFbC2chv8DLO1

zlCfzRFbT1Qut75ySN
zlCfzRFbWocInTR41K

zlCfzRFbZpQFfEDa2L
zlCfzRFbcvgISd0SR_

zlCfzRFbyEcSIs7A21
zlCfzRFb3lMgtSwZ1s

zlCfzRFb6hsZTB3fGu

Afro Luffy Wa Af-Fu-Ro--

Later.

Korigama

Really late commenting on SAO (had to catch the West Coast broadcast), but I can't help but wonder why Kirito didn't just stand outside the door with Sachi after those other idiots charged in after that obvious trap treasure chest when he told them not to. Not much he could've done for the rest of them, but the girl probably would've still been alive if he had done that instead.

Also, surprised to see that the revival item rule actually makes sense when so many of the other things about the game don't.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Really late commenting on SAO (had to catch the West Coast broadcast), but I can't help but wonder why Kirito didn't just stand outside the door with Sachi after those other idiots charged in after that obvious trap treasure chest when he told them not to. Not much he could've done for the rest of them, but the girl probably would've still been alive if he had done that instead.

Also, surprised to see that the revival item rule actually makes sense when so many of the other things about the game don't.

Because like most anime leads, he wanted to save everyone? How would Sachi had treated him, if he let her friends run to their deaths, and prioritize her over them? "They would have brought you so much more help! I'm useless!! Why did you save me instead of them?!?" "You're so powerful! You could have at LEAST tried!" etc, etc...

Kirito would have felt the same in the end. Try to go in and fail, or stay out and watch them die, he'd still feel their blood is on his hands, for not using his level and knowledge to take control, and direct everyone. And by anime law, that wouldn't have changed things anywho... just delayed the inevitable.

Korigama

Because like most anime leads, he wanted to save everyone? How would Sachi had treated him, if he let her friends run to their deaths, and prioritize her over them? "They would have brought you so much more help! I'm useless!! Why did you save me instead of them?!?" "You're so powerful! You could have at LEAST tried!" etc, etc...

Kirito would have felt the same in the end. Try to go in and fail, or stay out and watch them die, he'd still feel their blood is on his hands, for not using his level and knowledge to take control, and direct everyone. And by anime law, that wouldn't have changed things anywho... just delayed the inevitable.
Fair enough. I suppose he was just screwed either way, then (short of charging in and knocking away the person closest to the chest, which made more sense than just waiting for the trap to be sprung if indeed he wished for the best chances of saving everyone). If not that, then the guys who charged in probably would've gotten everyone killed for some other reason through their complacency.

Admittedly, being so annoyed with just how stupid the ones who were overconfident were in going straight for an obvious trap led me to overlook the implications of going with the more pragmatic (or rather, callous) solution.
Seriously though I don't understand why he downplayed his level in the first place
Probably because he figured he'd have to put up with that "beater" crap again if he didn't, like with the guild's bridge-jumping leader who blamed him for not being able to save the others.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just read the SAO impressions. I'm glad you guys caught on why I said it was so bad. Having said that, the light novel version isn't as bad. The pacing is just so fucking terribad it just makes everything even worse.

ReiGun

The beater thing is something I really don't buy. You'd think players of high skill with a greater depth of knowledge would be valued and sought after by guilds. Hell, Kline (that's his name, right?) would have been killed day 1 were not for Kirito's help.

SAO didn't seem so bad when I watched the first 5 or so episodes with friends last year. But then, I guess there's a reason I never went back to it. The pacing is just so bad (though maybe that gets better later on as we move up floors?), and Kirito is the kind of weak sauce, blatant self-insert main character I just hate. Mind you, I don't need all my protagonists to be badass or high energy. I can appreciate a "softer" protag as well, but there is just nothing to this kid so far. No reason to want to root for him beyond "he's the main character" and "if he dies in the game, he dies in real life," and definitely no reason to like him.

So how are you guys liking SAO? It's an amazing pile of shit, huh? This series is the epitome of missed opportunities and not realizing its potential. Plus it will all go to shit eventually. Have fun.

Tamanon

Banned
The beater thing is something I really don't buy. You'd think players of high skill with a greater depth of knowledge would be valued and sought after by guilds. Hell, Kline (that's his name, right?) would have been killed day 1 were not for Kirito's help.

SAO didn't seem so bad when I watched the first 5 or so episodes with friends last year. But then, I guess there's a reason I never went back to it. The pacing is just so bad (though maybe that gets better later on as we move up floors?), and Kirito is the kind of weak sauce, blatant self-insert main character I just hate. Mind you, I don't need all my protagonists to be badass or high energy. I can appreciate a "softer" protag as well, but there is just nothing to this kid so far. No reason to want to root for him beyond "he's the main character" and "if he dies in the game, he dies in real life," and definitely no reason to like him.

Eh, I can understand the beater hate from the second episode. To them, he was someone who held back information until their friend/leader was actually killed.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning Toonami-GAF.

Hope you're ready for Bleach and One Piece filler. Mwahahahaha.
Good news is the One Piece filler is only 7 episodes, that's nothing compared to the bad news. Bleach's filler is going to last 32 episodes. Yeah, the next half-year is going to be filler. It will be interesting to see the ratings and DeMarco try to defend this.

Let's try to avoid Soul Eater spoilers until Episode 37. I know the manga ended but this is still new for a lot of people.

Sword Art Online continues to be awful. "Waaaah, they all died because of me" No, they died because they were morons that couldn't seen an obvious trap.
"My God, they all died, surely this will effect me on an emotional lev-" SIX MONTHS LATER! "Merry Christmas!"
Man, and I thought the pacing in later One Piece episodes was bad. How many years will have gone by when we get to the end?

Eh, I can understand the beater hate from the second episode. To them, he was someone who held back information until their friend/leader was actually killed.
In Kiritos defense, that boss was different in the beta and so the information was wrong. He tried to tell the blue-haired guy(it's amazing how all of these supposedly important people are forgettable) but he just wanted the last hit shit.

ReiGun

In Kiritos defense, that boss was different in the beta and so the information was wrong. He tried to tell the blue-haired guy(it's amazing how all of these supposedly important people are forgettable) but he just wanted the last hit shit.

Right. There was no reason for Kirito to say anything up until that point. Blue haired dude knew the same information Kirito did from playing the beta, and bhd's strategy was working fine up until the boss used the new attack pattern.

Tenumi

Banned
So, I was really tired last night. I recorded OP, Soul Eater, and SAO and watched those this morning, so....

One Piece: The Afro... Never doubt the Power. Also, are we done with this arc finally?

Soul Eater: Adorable. Really adorable breather episode.

SAO:
RIP cute girl. Oh, and everyone else that died.

So angry I fell asleep last night, Soul Eater was incredible and SAO (forgot to DVR the dubbed episode) was already awful in the sub I don't even want to imagine how much worse it sounds in the dub. IGPX was already pretty enjoyable and I'll get around to watching Big O after lunch.

Last nights reactions to SAO were incredible, in a few more weeks this will truly be Toonami GAF

iMOeV9pOB9k8h.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
SAO left me dumbfounded. I was angry/laughing last night. Today I want to bang my head against a wall.

Yep. It completely failed to hit the points it wanted to, the sad parts were hilarious. I could feel my brain trying to strangle me last night.

I was more furious than I was amused at how shitty that episode was. At least episode 4 is somewhat better. Somewhat....

Only slightly better... slightly.

I don't think it picks up until we get back to main plot and then
it all goes to shit after episode 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom