• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Toonami [OT6] We Believe In Filler

No, I will never let this go, not until they are forced to change their minds about the Naruto Hell Filler.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Toonami|OT6| Beam me up Skywalker!

gandalf.jpg

Toonami |OT6| The filler is strong with this one

Toonami |OT6| "What a piece of junk!"

Toonami |OT6| My friends don't like you either

Toonami |OT6| I find your lack of faith disturbing <--------- My personal favorite

Toonami |OT6| JarJar is the worst

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Usually I think people are overreacting, but I can understand being a bit worried about Naruto's filler situation. It was brutal during the Japanese airings. 80+ weeks of filler for a show airing once a week is pretty disheartening, especially for those people who are watching it the first time around. The lead show for the block is just about to do over 7 months worth of filler.

I don't know, it's honestly one of those situations that might just matter to a certain segment of Toonami viewers. If you don't read the manga, how do you know what parts of Bleach or filler or not? All the characters are there, most of the filler arcs make sense in the context of the show. So I think for a lot of viewers it probably just doesn't matter. They like the characters and their abilities and that's what they'll get during most of the 7 months. Naruto's situation isn't really as painless...it ends on a pretty big cliffhanger moment, and they're not going to get any forward progress on it for a long time. Then again Disney still has the rights to Shippuden, correct? So maybe there really isn't any advantage for Toonami to speed towards that, because they'd just have to start Naruto all over again.

Clone Wars is nice. I actually think its a good fit for the block. I don't even like Star Wars that much but I enjoyed what I've seen of Clone Wars. But it sorta feels like its getting saturated with too many freebie shows. IGPX, Big O and now Clone Wars. Sorta wish one of those would get put on the backburner and we could get something else. Maybe everyone was getting burnt out on Sym-Bionic Titan, but I wouldn't have minded it getting another run.

I dream of Toonami where Hunter X Hunter is on the block...the current block of shows is pretty great, but something is missing. I don't know if its the order they're in, but it just feels a little off.

Bleach is going to do just fine, Naruto will tank if they show 80+ episodes of filler. Either Demarco will change his tune or it'll get pushed back to the end of the block.

Raxus

I was thinking it would be hilarious if the girl kept sending Kirito messages every holiday.

"Hey Kirito, still dead, so... how are you? You meet that Ruby Sparkles you kept mentioning in your sleep?

Happy Mothers Day!"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I was thinking it would be hilarious if the girl kept sending Kirito messages every holiday.

"Hey Kirito, still dead, so... how are you? You meet that Ruby Sparkles you kept mentioning in your sleep?

Happy Mothers Day!"

That would be amazingly funny, so it'll never happen.

BatDan

It would have been more funny if the beat they game before X-mas then he never even gets the gift

And then there's the possible scenario that she didn't die from that quest, or commit suicide, making that message really awkward.

Seriously, six months. She somehow had the foresight to record that message and send it on Christmas.

We will need a lot more hemp before we're through.

"So many feels&#65279; here... ;~; even if we've known her for a short time....it felt like forever to me."

"Christmas song will never be the&#65279; same...*sobs*"

"Most sad thing ever,&#65279; cring for days"

"Sachi shpuld of lived longer. Shes still my favourite Character of the show, bc shes a pretty realistic&#65279; character."

"I can't handle it,&#65279; this scene was too powerful"

"I'm&#65279; a grown man and this had me bawling. Damn it!"

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE

Seda

"So many feels&#65279; here... ;~; even if we've known her for a short time....it felt like forever to me."

"Sachi shpuld of lived longer. Shes still my favourite Character of the show, bc shes a pretty realistic&#65279; character."

ahahaha

Toonami |OT6| Star Wars the Emo Wars.

Feels like every show on Toonami has Emo. It's a plague.

Toonami |OT6| The filler is strong with this one.
Toonami |OT6| IT'S A TRAP!

BatDan

Oh man, those comments remind of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJzT_kqEc3Q

"I FEEL SO BAD FOR A CHARACTER THAT HAD 5 MINUTES OF SCREEN-TIME!"
Wait, how was she a realistic character? Nobody on this show is realistic!

These people would break if they watched Casshern Sins, or One Piece.

More comments:

"damn it! I'm tearing up again. TT_TT"

"I won't lie. Several tears fell down while watching this...."

"I'm a grown man and this had me bawling. Damn it!"

"urgh the feels </3"

"Merry Christmas everyone, stay strong for Sachi"

"*watched this several dozen times* "Why am I torturing myself!?!?!?!"Dx So&#65279; saaaaaadd"

You would think these people just watched The Fox and the Hound for the first time

More comments:

"damn it! I'm tearing up again. TT_TT"

"I won't lie. Several tears fell down while watching this...."

"I'm a grown man and this had me bawling. Damn it!"

"urgh the feels </3"

"Merry Christmas everyone, stay strong for Sachi"

"*watched this several dozen times* "Why am I torturing myself!?!?!?!"Dx So&#65279; saaaaaadd"

You would think these people just watched The Fox and the Hound for the first time
We should keep Casshern Sins far away from these people. Mass suicide alert!

Azure J

You all talking about SAO comments reminded me of the person that was trolling (or being genuine?) in the SaltyBets stream chat talking about how SAO was Best Anime Ever™ and all I could do was chuckle remembering everyone's reactions to it here.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I don't know, it's honestly one of those situations that might just matter to a certain segment of Toonami viewers. If you don't read the manga, how do you know what parts of Bleach or filler or not? All the characters are there, most of the filler arcs make sense in the context of the show. So I think for a lot of viewers it probably just doesn't matter.
Its usually pretty obvious when Bleach goes on filler though. Orihime tends to stop the action mid arc and start telling a side story via comic panels lol

Its more likely that the casual Bleach audience will think the Excution arc is filler too

Bleach is going to do just fine, Naruto will tank if they show 80+ episodes of filler. Either Demarco will change his tune or it'll get pushed back to the end of the block.
Yeah, Bleach has withstood filler arcs before with no ratings problems. The problem with Naruto filler back then wasn't necessarily the length (which didn't help) but also the lack of an knowable end. Bleach fans always knew the filler would end after 26 episodes. But that Naruto filler? Went on and on and on without any word of the Naruto Part 2 stuff. And that's basically whats going to happen again without knowing if Toonami can grab Shippuden.

A nice solution might be to push back Naruto in the schedule and start airing 2 episodes per day. Though that might be too expensive...

Its all meaningless in the end though since Shippuden sucks

Moaradin

Its all meaningless in the end though since Shippuden sucks

Eh Shippuden has some good stuff. Starts off really slow but some of the arcs are really good. I stopped at around 140 since that's the farthest the English dub got at the time. That one arc with Shikamaru might be my favorite arc in both shows.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Why is it so hard to believe Sachi's death actually hit people strongly? It actually felt similar to the feels Casshern would strive for in many an episode: a 1 off mini-tale with a tragic character.

She was a cute, plain (y'know, for anime!) character that accepted her position in life, and looked on with a fairly brave face. We didn't need to know her long, because she's an archetype most can say "I know someone like that...!" with. (And if not, you've probably seen a similar character in anime, like Nodoka from Negima...)

The Christmas Message isn't so far-fetched; you can delay posting messages on things like Tumblr or such. I actually thought it was a nice "trying desperately to find ways to live on, beyond your own strength!" style situation; a game-centric way of leaving a diary.

Even the timeskips work in the favor of the situation; the longer one stays in a "this game is my life!" situation, the less they think about it in "game" terms, and more in "life" terms. The further we go, the more we get away from "A couple of normal kids are fighting in a game world", and the closer we get to "young kids are fighting in a reality not unlike out own!" fantasy.

And really, as much filler as anime has, whenever they can tell a story in a quick, compressed format, I'm actually happy. And I was VERY surprised with the fact there seems to be a decent amount of fandom for her online... Who cosplays a 1-off insta-kill? People who connect with their stories...

Man, if we ever had Clannad or Angel Beats! on Toonami...

Seda

Eh Shippuden has some good stuff. Starts off really slow but some of the arcs are really good. I stopped at around 140 since that's the farthest the English dub got at the time. That one arc with Shikamaru might be my favorite arc in both shows.

That's mine as well. Too bad the two preceding arcs aren't great.

And I'm still stopped in Pain Arc (166) even though the dub has gotten further than that now.

grandjedi6

Shikamaru's arc was decent, though Kishimoto still sucks at training sequences. You actually stopped right before Shippuden's best arc. You should watch it, it's by far the highlight of Part 2.

Outside of those two arcs though, Shippuden's lacking. Even the best remaining arcs could use an editor or two to fix all of Kishimoto's messed up plot threads.

What's not to understand?

i don't see what you guys see in Big O. that particular episode had a pretty mediocre story (as usual) and i didn't think the action was much to write home about.

SAB CA said:
Why is it so hard to believe Sachi's death actually hit people strongly? It actually felt similar to the feels Casshern would strive for in many an episode: a 1 off mini-tale with a tragic character.

because she died in like 10 minutes. if they're going to be this blatant about the tear-jerking, the least they can do is be competent about it.

Does Disney still have the rights to Shippuden? They probably just have the contract on auto renew and don't even notice the pennies being removed from their bank account. Otherwise, it should have expired by now but "Disney still owns it" it was the line DeMarco was using before they moved to just saying "We have no plan to air Shippuden"

SAO isn't emotionally believable and neither are those emotionally manipulative Key/KyoAni moe otaku cry fests. I say this as someone who played Clannad and thought the "true" route girl was inferior, useless and stupid compared to the others. Then again..That's how a lot of anime fans seem to like their women so..

She was a cute, plain (y'know, for anime!) character that accepted her position in life, and looked on with a fairly brave face. We didn't need to know her long, because she's an archetype most can say "I know someone like that...!" with. (And if not, you've probably seen a similar character in anime, like Nodoka from Negima...)

The Christmas Message isn't so far-fetched; you can delay posting messages on things like Tumblr or such. I actually thought it was a nice "trying desperately to find ways to live on, beyond your own strength!" style situation; a game-centric way of leaving a diary.

Even the timeskips work in the favor of the situation; the longer one stays in a "this game is my life!" situation, the less they think about it in "game" terms, and more in "life" terms. The further we go, the more we get away from "A couple of normal kids are fighting in a game world", and the closer we get to "young kids are fighting in a reality not unlike out own!" fantasy.

And really, as much filler as anime has, whenever they can tell a story in a quick, compressed format, I'm actually happy. And I was VERY surprised with the fact there seems to be a decent amount of fandom for her online... Who cosplays a 1-off insta-kill? People who connect with their stories...

This would work if the series was well written, or her death had been a tragic one IE throwing herself in front of an attack that would have killed Kirito. Instead we get Kirito lying about his level and letting her and the other guild members fall into a trap that he knew about and could have warned them if he had been open and honest from the beginning.

Also I believe this story line was not in the original essay but was later added to expand upon Kirito's time in SAO and explain why he doesn't want to join a guild. In the original story he just didn't want to join a guild because of "bad experiences" or something and this added chapter/episode is meant to show that.

i don't see what you guys see in Big O. that particular episode had a pretty mediocre story (as usual) and i didn't think the action was much to write home about.

That one scene alone forgave most of the episode

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To be fair about the idea that blue haired girl would be torn up over all her friends dying if the BEATER had saved her; you really get the impression in her letter that she really doesn't give a damn about anyone who isn't Kirito.

grandjedi6

Does Disney still have the rights to Shippuden? They probably just have the contract on auto renew and don't even notice the pennies being removed from their bank account. Otherwise, it should have expired by now but "Disney still owns it" it was the line DeMarco was using before they moved to just saying "We have no plan to air Shippuden"

Disney wouldn't renew something they haven't aired in 2 years. More likely Disney signed a 5 year contract that won't expire for another year or so. Unless its even longer than that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Disney wouldn't renew something they haven't aired in 2 years. More likely Disney signed a 5 year contract that won't expire for another year or so. Unless its even longer than that.

Which is what I've been thinking. I doubt they'd have gone for more than 5 years, especially considering they never even bothered to look at what was going on in the show. Chances are good it'll be available by the time Toonami needs it. If it isn't I can see the company that did the dub trying to get out of the contract early, they'd be leaving money on the table by not having it on air.

because she died in like 10 minutes. if they're going to be this blatant about the tear-jerking, the least they can do is be competent about it.

Seriously. When Casshern did the 1 and dead characters at least they got built up throughout the episode and then killed. Blue haired chick didn't even last a full 15 minutes.

To be fair though Casshern was so insane with the killing off of people that it became funny about the time those kids committed suicide for reasons no one quite understands.

To be fair about the idea that blue haired girl would be torn up over all her friends dying if the BEATER had saved her; you really get the impression in her letter that she really doesn't give a damn about anyone who isn't Kirito.

Her life isn't worth living if she can't have the main character

This is the mindset of every female character in a harem romcom series, SAO is no exception

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom