• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

challenges are making me super paranoid. messing up after dodging 9 attacks. yeesh.

And going from dream to real world always fucks up my jump attack timing for a few rounds :X

Rich!

Bought my PAL copy finally after it went down in price enough.

Got to the desert, and I have to say I'm getting a little bit bored with it. Great game, but hm. It's just not hooking me like the others.

El Odio

Banned
He was amazing in Paper Mario, all of them. And yeah, Luigi is magnificent, he really knows how to give me feels ; _ ;
Despite how frustrating the actual fight is, especially when you have to restart because of that last bit, I like the little bit before the last giant fight because
rather than getting scared as usual Luigi gives Mario that "Let's do this bro" look then confidently tips his hat down.
Showed some real character development.

NEO0MJ

Despite how frustrating the actual fight is, especially when you have to restart because of that last bit, I like the little bit before the last giant fight because
rather than getting scared as usual Luigi gives Mario that "Let's do this bro" look then confidently tips his hat down.
Showed some real character development.

Yeah, that was pretty badass.

Need a little help, very late game boss.
In the fight against Antasma, just how are you supposed to dodge the exploding spike-balls when Antasma's chasing you?

Edit: Beat it.

Hiccup

Banned
FYI

There's an update for this in the eShop. Some bug fixes. Never thought I'd see the day for a Nintendo game to get a bug fix.

DaBoss

Mario Kart 7 is the first game I recall getting patched because of bugs.

Metroid Other M and Skyward Sword also had bugs, but with no patching system in place, there wasn't a way to patch it. Even before that Nintendo and other companies would release a second print that had bugs fixed before a patching system was set in place.

AFAIK, every Nintendo game has received patches on the Wii U. Not sure if that is true, just assuming that since people constantly complain about updates.

Tohsaka

I finished the game earlier today after putting 50 hours into it. It felt like it went on way too long, like they put in extra dream sections just for the sake of lengthening the game. The main thing I didn't like was the giant battles. Holding the 3DS like a book felt really uncomfortable, and the touch controls just felt tacked-on. I also didn't like all the tilt control usage for many of the Bros attacks. Overall it was a good game, but Bowser's Inside Story was a lot better I thought.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Bought my PAL copy finally after it went down in price enough.

Got to the desert, and I have to say I'm getting a little bit bored with it. Great game, but hm. It's just not hooking me like the others.

the desert area might be the least exciting in the whole game, so don't worry yet

Raw64life

I see several mentions of "50 hours" in this thread. I'm 25 hours in and I need one more piece of the Ultibed to
revive the Zeekeeper
. I feel like I'm about 80% through the game. Am I really only half way through the game?

DaBoss

I see several mentions of "50 hours" in this thread. I'm 25 hours in and I need one more piece of the Ultibed to
revive the Zeekeeper
. I feel like I'm about 80% through the game. Am I really only half way through the game?

It will feel like you are at 80%, but in terms of hours, you are pretty much right on track. There is just that much hours put into next few areas and their dreamy counterparts. It really slows down from there on out.

Tohsaka

revive the Zeekeeper

I did do almost all of the Expert Challenges and the photo puzzles and stuff, that added on a fair amount of hours. I had planned to 100% the game but by the time I got to the end I had just had enough and was ready for it to be over.

Sora_N

So Gaf, should I get this or Sticker Star?

If it makes any difference, I loved both TTYD and BiS.

Seriously, just get this. Unless you're not actually looking to play an RPG. Paper Mario SS is a pseudo-RPG. I bought it for $13 and didn't really enjoy it aside from the graphics/art and the music, traded it in for this. I love this game so far, playing it slowly though.

NEO0MJ

Just beat the game! Took me 41 hours, man was the final boss tough. Game felt too padded out, but was still fun.

And I really liked that Bowser was the villain in this game, he finally became a threat in the M&L series. Plus for once he outsmarted the new villain. I mean if you look at his past appearances:
1- In SS he was a pawn for both Popple (who made him a minion) and Cackletta (who possessed him and gave him bosoms)
2- In PIT he was a nuisance at best.
3- In BIS he was a hero, which is a pretty cool role for him, I must admit. I loved that he did it out of greed and pride.

Since I'm a Junior Member, I can't make a topic about it but I can bump the OT. Version 1.1 is out in JP/NA/PAL regions, check the eShop. Should be the same patch that was talked about recently.

I'm right at
the third giant battle/the one against the Pi'illo security system in Dreamy Wakeport
, and though there's a lot I love about this game, I feel like I've finally hit the point where serious fatigue is starting to set in. I'm going to finish it because this is not the kind of game I'd leave unfinished and it IS very good, it's just way, WAY too long and bloated.

Hearing that it's even slower from here on out is kind of horrifying...

shtkn

i've beaten the game, but i still want to get to rainbow rank and go through the fight arena.

is tehre a good place to grind to do so? final dungeon?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
How high do you have to level up to reach Rainbow Rank? I've reached pretty far in the game (I'm inside
Neo Bowser's Castle
at the moment) at about Lv 35-ish.

Should go back to the boss arena & do more battles. Really digging that I can go back & fight stronger versions of bosses with a turn limit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
352 blocks. & this is what it does, according to Nintendo:

- On Mount Pajamaja, at the time you break the ice with a spin jump against the Massif Brothers, we fixed the problem in the game that wouldn’t let you progress when you spoke to the Massif Brothers, depending on how you proceeded.

- Late in the game against Antasma, we corrected the problem that didn’t let the battle end properly in certain circumstances.

- In addition, we fixed some other small problems to make the game run more smoothly.

Tohsaka

How high do you have to level up to reach Rainbow Rank? I've reached pretty far in the game (I'm inside
Neo Bowser's Castle
at the moment) at about Lv 35-ish.

Should go back to the boss arena & do more battles. Really digging that I can go back & fight stronger versions of bosses with a turn limit.

I read that it was level 40, but I never made it that far. I ended up beating the game at level 35 and didn't have any problems with the last bosses.

nluckett

Sticker Star is awesome, but you have to go in with a clear head and not compare it to The Thousand Year Door. It's not like that game at all (except in the art dept).

It's more of a platforming puzzle game. As if those point and click adventures of old got updated into a Mario game with stickers all over the place.

The forest world drags on way too long, but after that the game moves at a really great fast pace and the levels change up and you start to see the fun of the sticker system.

Timeaisis

I read that it was level 40, but I never made it that far. I ended up beating the game at level 35 and didn't have any problems with the last bosses.

It's 40. I just got there yesterday right before the
giant Bowser fight.
. You get TWO bonuses.

Marjar

Banned
Well I got up to the endgame.

I have the say, while I haven't been a fan of the Giant Luigi battles,
the Zeekeeper battle was actually pretty sweet. Plus the dialog after beating him was hysterical.

Murrah

Banned
Been avoiding this thread to see if my thoughts would line up with everyone else's. And yeah, gotta say, I love this series and this game was still great but it wore me out. I don't think I've yearned for a game I like to end as much as I did with DT since Okami. It oddly kinda fell into some of the same problems that PiT did, in particular the villain being kinda lame, non-threatening and having no real presence, which is a shame because the writing for the bad guys is what makes me laugh the most in both this and the Paper Mario series. The bosses were also completely unremarkable both in terms of character and being fun to fight against. Aside from the last trio of bosses I only remember
the fight against Wiggler with Poppler mucking things up trying to help, which was genuinely great
. I don't even remember any of the giant Luigi fights aside from the last two

Game did have some great characterization for Luigi though, he's definitely still my favorite Nintendo character. That part early on when you can see his thoughts and he doesn't wanna be called clumsy anymore was cute, funny and sad all at the same time, felt like something straight out of Earthbound

I really kinda wish they would do a mario rpg with some sort of actual urgency? Love me some mario luigi, but those tend to all feel like... side stories? Vacations?

want another mario rpg level of plot.

Berordn

I really kinda wish they would do a mario rpg with some sort of actual urgency? Love me some mario luigi, but those tend to all feel like... side stories? Vacations?

want another mario rpg level of plot.

PiT did pretty much this. Every time you think you've averted a crisis, something worse happens. I think that's one of the reasons I didn't like it as much, personally.

Berordn

I feel like in PiT, there was very little freedom.

There was that too. It was a very linear and disjointed game with nothing to do but follow the plot. That's not to say it wasn't fun, but coming from Superstar Saga it was a massive letdown. It certainly didn't help matters that the Shroobs didn't even talk so the plot ended up being driven by Toadsworth and E. Gadd who can only do so much without a counter-balance.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just got Luigi's final Bros. Move. So uh, is Mario's last Bros. Move found slightly later or something, or did I miss it?

AwRy108

This, no contest. Sticker Star is a huge Black eye on the Paper Mario legacy, one which I hope Nintendo learns some serious lessons from.

Marjar

Banned

Sticker Star is pretty awful. People always say that it's hated because people compare it to the other Paper Mario games too much instead of looking at its own merits, but I just think it's a poorly designed game.

Top Bottom