• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: AA/AC Steam Patch Live. Mac Version, Achievements, and GFWL/Securom removal

JohngPR

Alright, so I figured out how to keep it from crashing AND have it run full screen.

You can either disable in-game anti-aliasing and use an external application to force aa, or install the new 13.11 beta drivers, which will allow you to use the in-game aa without crashing.

Installing the 13.11 Beta drivers fixed my problem! Thanks. :)

Grief.exe

What a cluster. SecureROM killed Batman AC but steam gave us the GOTY for free. But when you try to play it it cannot conect to the Key server. I found a workaround where you just start the game from it's install directory.

I will recommend this to people, could be a glitch.

Arkham City isn't even supposed to have a key anymore or show one on launch, per the registry.
The implementation in Asylum is correct, it is not showing a key for people anymore.

"Failed to contact key server" error

Is anyone else getting this on Batman Arkham CIty GOTY? I purchased this game on Steam yesterday. It is on sale.
The game was activated and installed yesterday.

Nabs

Is anyone else getting this on Batman Arkham CIty GOTY? I purchased this game on Steam yesterday. It is on sale.

Almost everyone is. I'm guessing someone screwed up and left the key option ticked or something. I wonder if the GFWL key they gave me will register a new copy next week...

Irobot82

The game was activated and installed yesterday.

Yeah, open the game in windows explorer and it'll play fine.

It also keeps your steam overlay applied somehow, because I took some steam screen shots while running the game.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hey, turns out loading my game in Batman Arkham City did pop all achievements I already have. Interesting. Now to remove those goddamn .bik loading files...

Grief.exe

Hey, turns out loading my game in Batman Arkham City did pop all achievements I already have. Interesting. Now to remove those goddamn .bik loading files...

Keep your damn pens out of my games

bic_logo.gif

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Nice, found the post detailing how to remove the videos. Maybe it should be linked in the OP as well? Now that I have everything set up - Saves Transferred, games installed, starting movies removed, I'll surely never touch those games again, as I did all story beats and got all collectibles in both of them already - I don't really care about the challenge modes...

Going into an actual playable part of Arkham City was enough to give me all my achievements from my earlier save file. Doesn't work on Arkham Asylum though. Getting into playable sections in these games (as opposed to just loading the game to see if the save file is recognized) made me notice how I forgot everything I knew about the Batman Games combat, jesus christ. At first, I couldn't link 4 punches together. And now I vaguely remember something about special attacks? Beats me.

Now the wait for Batman Origins GOTY 75% off sale begins!

I tried... I can't do it. I hate m/kb for third person games though.

I understand, it certainly depends on the game. The Arkham games don't make much use of the defining traits of analog sticks, so they work relatively well, while something like Dark Souls which really needs 360 degrees of movement and has a lock on function is much less so. Combat is the major area where an analog stick can come in handy in the Arkham games, but that's easily compensated for with much faster and more precise camera movement. One third person series M/KB work fantastically with is Assassin's Creed. You lose the ability to jog in AC3 with it, but that's an ability that's useless 99.9% of the time. Personally, the Arkham games are extremely awkward any other way.

Sober

They decided the feature was not worth implementing on Steamworks.

Someone in the thread mentioned that leader board integration is trivial on Steamworks, especially compared to GFWL.
Everyone hacked the shit out of the leaderboards anyway. Although they should bring it back in some capacity since the challenge modes were kinda score attack affairs.

Parsnip

Everyone hacked the shit out of the leaderboards anyway. Although they should bring it back in some capacity since the challenge modes were kinda score attack affairs.
Maybe they will.
I mean, who knows really.
I have no idea how much work it would be, but maybe if people ask someone might listen. Just a few weeks ago I wouldn't have believed if someone had told me that these big companies would just give out free upgrades to their games.

As far as I'm concerned anything is possible these days. :p Believe.

Grief.exe

I understand, it certainly depends on the game. The Arkham games don't make much use of the defining traits of analog sticks, so they work relatively well, while something like Dark Souls which really needs 360 degrees of movement and has a lock on function is much less so. Combat is the major area where an analog stick can come in handy in the Arkham games, but that's easily compensated for with much faster and more precise camera movement. One third person series M/KB work fantastically with is Assassin's Creed. You lose the ability to jog in AC3 with it, but that's an ability that's useless 99.9% of the time. Personally, the Arkham games are extremely awkward any other way.

I actually played AC2 with M/KB. I dislike the game immensely, but it controlled just fine.

wutwutwut

So I bought Arkham Asylum on Gamersgate a very, very long time ago. I logged into that account today, and found a separate key I could use to activate the game on Steam. Nice.

Good news: activating GFWL keys from other stores appears to be working. I just activated my AC vanilla key from Gamefly on Steam, and it gave me both vanilla and GOTY. Actually, it gave me a little more than that:

lCR35rr.png

Weird. And a little annoying to have 2 entries for AC now, is that normal? (I didn't have either version on Steam prior to this.)

Also, that screen lists the install size for vanilla as 16850MB, but the install size for GOTY as 11909MB. Also weird, but I've noticed those sizes are sometimes inaccurate.

Wonder how it'll run on my MBA...

Edit: Well, given the post above I guess I shouldn't presume it's up for everyone.

Edit 2: Oh, interesting, only the GOTY version is installable on Mac, the vanilla isn't.

scitek

I wonder if we email them our keys as prof of ownership (or something), WB would just give us a new Steam key instead.

Grief.exe

Weird. And a little annoying to have 2 entries for AC now, is that normal? (I didn't have either version on Steam prior to this.)

Yes it is normal.

Digital activations have been working fine since the patch launched, its physical activations that are the problem.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I wonder if we email them our keys as prof of ownership (or something), WB would just give us a new Steam key instead.

Well I still have my Origin receipt e-mail from when I bough both of them so I wouldn't have a problem with it if they did that.

ezodagrom

Digital activations have been working fine since the patch launched, its physical activations that are the problem.
Not correct, digital activations from certain stores haven't been working at all, and still don't work. It's keys that use the 5x5 format that don't work.

Yes it is normal.

Interesting, I would have assumed they all came from the same database.

Not correct, digital activations from certain stores haven't been working at all, and still don't work. It's keys that use the 5x5 format that don't work.

FWIW, my Gamefly key was a 5x5.

Retail versions should now activate on Steam (system not implemented yet, stay patient)
This is the best news ever for me. I got Arkham City (retail) for free as a game tester, but left it unwrapped since I'd rather have it on Steam. Now I can save my money.

KarmaCow

Yea my AA vanilla key from the GFW store and AC GotY Key from GetGamesGo both aren't working. They're both in the 5x5 format for LIVE activation keys.

jett

D-Member
Replaying AC right after AA really confirms how much better it is. Dat improved grapnel hook, dat expanded combat.

Replaying AC right after AA really confirms how much better it is. Dat improved grapnel hook, dat expanded combat.

I like city but I think asylum is super pure in what it does (for it's time), the graphel booster and extra gadgets for combat is awesome in city, but asylum feels more like it's right there in your face and you need to think about things more often.

jett

D-Member
I like city but I think asylum is super pure in what it does (for it's time), the graphel booster and extra gadgets for combat is awesome in city, but asylum feels more like it's right there in your face and you need to think about things more often.

Not sure what you mean, unless you mean you like the simplicity of Asylum. For me City is one of those sequels that stomps on its predecessor and does pretty much everything better.

scitek

The fact that GFWL tells me all of my keys for all of my games are invalid when I input one into any game instead of saying it's a duplicate concerns me. I'm also mad at myself for considering buying AA again at $5 instead of just waiting to see if it gets fixed.

Grief.exe

Not sure what you mean, unless you mean you like the simplicity of Asylum. For me City is one of those sequels that stomps on its predecessor and does pretty much everything better.

I've heard it both ways, and it really depends on the person.

Some people like the open-world aspect of City and the iteration on the mechanics.
Some people enjoy the Metroidvania-esque, more tightly paced Asylum.

You really aren't wrong either way. I haven't gotten a chance to play City yet.

Grief.exe

Thanks Nabs, added a couple of updates to the OP

Failed to Contact Key Server (Oct. 20, 2013)

This issue has been resolved.

Please exit Steam, restart your computer, and log back into your account.

This should allow you to launch the game.

Registering CD keys

We are aware of the issue some users are experiencing when attempting to register CD keys (retail, GFWL, etc) and are investigating this issue further. We thank you for your patience.

scitek

For some reason all this GFWL talk made me open the client and realize I purchased Viva Piñata at some point and never played it. Now in the process of rectifying that.

Grief.exe

For some reason all this GFWL talk made me open the client and realize I purchased Viva Piñata at some point and never played it. Now in the process of rectifying that.

If Microsoft put a small team together in charge of porting the Halo Trilogy, Gears of War, and Viva Pinata over to Steamworks I could die happy.
I don't think I would need anything else from Microsoft. They have done some significant harm over the years to the platform, but I think we could just nod and walk away.

Epic has Gears of War, Bulletstorm, and
Shadow Complex
to bring over as well.

Bonus points for Shadow Run and ODST.

plainr_

Just downloaded the update last night. Felt good man. Now I need a patch for Dark Souls and my computers will have no traces of GWFL whatsoever.

kharma45

If Microsoft put a small team together in charge of porting the Halo Trilogy, Gears of War, and Viva Pinata over to Steamworks I could die happy.
I don't think I would need anything else from Microsoft. They have done some significant harm over the years to the platform, but I think we could just nod and walk away.

Epic has Gears of War, Bulletstorm, and
Shadow Complex
to bring over as well.

Bonus points for Shadow Run and ODST.

More likely they'd end up doing something like selling it through the Windows Store instead.

Grief.exe

More likely they'd end up doing something like selling it through the Windows Store instead.

I don't think that is the case. Microsoft's strategy in that regard is place mobile/tablet focused games on the Windows Store, and games targeted at your typical PC gamer on Steam.
Their indie policy is great as well, allow a certain period of exclusivity on their platform then allow them to port to PC.

Derrick01

Banned
What the hell is there still DRM in AA? My internet briefly went out while playing and I got a no connection message and then it went back to the main menu.

I've heard it both ways, and it really depends on the person.

Some people like the open-world aspect of City and the iteration on the mechanics.
Some people enjoy the Metroidvania-esque, more tightly paced Asylum.

You really aren't wrong either way. I haven't gotten a chance to play City yet.

City really is the better game but it's not because of the open world, in fact that's probably the weakest aspect of the game. It's just a game that takes everything the first game did and greatly expands on it. I'm having such a hard time replaying AA because of how much simpler and easier it is.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
What the hell is there still DRM in AA? My internet briefly went out while playing and I got a no connection message and then it went back to the main menu.

Weird. I can start the game up in offline mode just fine.

I just forced my connection offline while playing, too and nothing happened.

Must have just been a random glitch or something held over from the GFWL days,

Nabs

Can saves from the regular, GFWL version of AC be converted to GOTY Steam saves? Or can you only transfer from GOTY to GOTY?

You'll be fine.

Weird. I can start the game up in offline mode just fine.

I just forced my connection offline while playing, too and nothing happened.

Must have just been a random glitch or something held over from the GFWL days,

Interesting.

Top Bottom