• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 3 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

strobogo

Banned
Curse of Chucky: I had a free rental from Redbox, so I decided to check it out. It's garbage. It's so boring, has some really bad green screening, the CGI doll is awful, I'm pretty sure there were a few shots of an actual person as Chucky, and those flashback scenes were ridiculous. Especially when they used footage from the first movie and you it was explicitly shown how much Brad Dourif has aged. He barely even looked like the same guy. And then that weird subtext of Nica (Brad Dourif's daughter) shit talking Chucky about completion anxiety.

All the CGI was terrible looking, the characters were terrible even by the standards of the series. You can't take the series back to straight horror. The only highlights were the short shots of Jennifer Tilly's boobs.

The-Girl-Next-Door-2007.jpg

27. The Girl Next Door (Netflix Instant)

To be completely honest, I saw The Girl Next Door before The Signal, but I needed the extra time to digest The Girl Next Door. I'm not sure that I've finished digesting it, but maybe writing about it will help me synthesize my thoughts.

Last year, I saw Lucky McKee's Woman, which was also based on a work by Jack Ketchum. At the time, I wasn't sure how much of the film's ugliness could be laid at McKee's or Ketchum's feet. One wrote the book; the other adapted it for screen. But it was undoubtedly an ugly and cynical film that was difficult to digest.

I hadn't intended to watch The Girl Next Door this year; after Woman, I wasn't sure I wanted to watch any adaptations of Ketchum's works because there is not a mental bleach strong enough to wash the mental stain of that movie away. It haunts me. But Netflix lost the license to The Girl Next Door on October 27, 2013, so I needed to decide if I wanted to watch it before it was lost, possibly for good. There was also a part of me that thought I could have a double feature with An American Crime. While An American Crime attempted to depict the notorious torture and murder of Sylvia Likens by Gertrude Baniszewski, The Girl Next Door is only loosely based on that story. I have good news: after watching The Girl Next Door, Woman now has company in my brain. Though The Girl Next Door is an adaptation of the story of Sylvia Likens and Gertrude Bansizewski, the actual events aren't far from what was in the film.

The Girl Next Door makes a very poor first impression. It looks cheaply made; even William Atherton can lend only so much credibility to the film. It's never quite clear how Blanche Baker's Ruth Chandler, Gertrude Baniszewski's stand-in, had such power over her accomplices in the torture and murder of Meg Loughlin, Sylvia Likens's stand-in. You can argue that Ruth was able to coerce her children to participate, but how did she control her children's friends? It feels like the film could have explored the coercive psychological power an adult authority figure can wield, but it was more focused on torturing Meg instead. We only see her provide them alcohol and cigarettes; is it because they had dehumanized Meg and treated her as an object that no one other than Meg contacted the authorities?

It also irritated me that the film is told in flashback by William Atherton's character, David, who was a boy was tangentially involved in Meg's torture and murder. He tried to rescue Meg and her sister, Susan, and he tried to tell his parents about their mistreatment. But it doesn't feel right that the story should be about how David survived this ordeal. By setting the story in David's flashback, it makes the story about how this event affected him, not how it affected the town or Susan. It doesn't help that David is a very passive figure in the film; he watches helplessly and returns again and again to watch helplessly. The film tries to build on a bittersweet tone about horrors that lay under a calm, innocent, suburban veneer,

So, for all that the film tries to do, it felt like nothing more than a fairly empty exploitation film, even though the torture and abuse happens mostly off-screen. It's funny; the film treats us as though we're mature enough to handle the idea that people would torture economically and socially vulnerable girls for fun, but it leaves most of the actual violence off-screen, unless it's perpetrated by or on David. What we do get is undeniably ugly, brutal, and hard to watch. As it was, I felt deadened to the violence against Meg about 45 minutes into the film; the rest felt like dreaded drudgery.

I compare this film to Irreversible, which did not hesitate to show the violence in full because the violence had a purpose: it had to set the brutal tone in order to show the degenerative effects of seeking revenge. The Girl Next Door felt emptier, as if it couldn't commit to a goal for showing the violence other than upsetting our idyllic expectations of the past.

October 28th

Film number 52: The Possession
Tagline: Darkness lives inside.

Opening thoughts: It’s on Netflix. People seem to like it.

uqZW8Z2.png

Verdict: Spooky coincidence: the evil being in The Unborn, the last film I watched, was a dybbuk, a malicious possessing spirit from Jewish mythology. The same type of entity turns out to be the bad guy in The Possession. The similarities between the films ends there however. Everything The Unborn does wrong, The Possession does right, and the result is an engaging, spooky little tale of what happens to a family when its youngest member buys an ancient wooden box at a yard sale that she really shouldn’t open. The acting is great, the characters believeable and appealing, and the sparsely used effects are clever and frequently creepy. Most enjoyable.

Score: 7.5 out of 10. An intriguing case of moth mouth..

Film number 53: The Horsemen
Tagline: Four victims. Four painful secrets.

Opening thoughts: Bet it’s not as good as The Horseman.

s7XuNCP.png

Verdict: The worst Dennis Quaid performance I’ve ever seen. Worse even than GI Joe. He is totally unconvincing as a detective investigating a series of gruesome murders thematically linked by the biblical tale of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. The story is unconvincing too, as is the pedestrian direction. Only the presence of the wonderful Zhang Ziyi prevents this from being a complete waste of time.

Score: 3 out of 10. The veil should not have been lifted.

Watched so far:
October 1 - Wreckage (1/10) Storage (6/10)
October 2 - Absentia (9/10) Uninhabited (3/10)
October 3 - The Fallow Field (7/10)
October 4 - Insidious (6/10) The Devil's Rock (8/10)
October 5 - Seconds Apart (6/10) The Awakening (8/10) When The Lights Went Out (8/10)
October 6 - Lake Mungo (6/10) Cherry Tree Lane (8/10) The Seasoning House (9/10)
October 7 - Bruiser (2/10) Devoured (9.5/10)
October 8 - The Devil's Business (4/10) Session 9 (4/10) Needle (6.5/10)
October 9 - V/H/S (8.5/10)
October 10 - The Lords Of Salem (9.9 out of 10)
October 11 - Below (5/10) Dead Girl (6.5/10)
October 12 – Teeth (8/10) Little Deaths (10/10)
October 13 - Blood Night (5/10) Detention (7/10) American Mary (5/10)
October 14 - Citadel (8.5/10) Sawney: Flesh of Man (7.5/10)
October 15 - The Midnight Meat Train (6.5/10) Static (6/10)
October 16 - The Pact (8.5/10)
October 17 - Rites of Spring (3/10)
October 18 - Frankenstein's Army (7.5/10) War of the Dead (7/10)
October 19 - The Horseman (9/10) The Crazies (7/10)
October 20 - A Horrible Way To Die (5/10) Dark Skies (7/10)
October 21 - Black Rock (9/10) Sinister (8/10)
October 22 - Feast (8/10) Kill List (7/10)
October 23 - Solstice (1/10)
October 24 - Excision (10/10)
October 25 - The Corrdor (6/10) The Haunting of Molly Hartley (5/10)
October 26 - Chained (8/10) Antiviral (7/10)
October 27 - Territories (5/10) The Unborn (3/10)

Zombie double feature!

26_CockneysVsZombies_zpsdae91763.jpg

26) Cockneys vs Zombies (2012) (Oct 27)

Cockneys vs Zombies is a pretty straight forward post-Shaun of the Dead zombie comedy so I don't really have much too say about it. The plot is standard modern zombie movie fare and it has the same typical weak ending you've seen in dozens of previous movies, but the lighthearted approach to the whole thing and the very fun cast make up for its shortcomings. Alan "Do you know what 'nemesis' means?" Ford's still got it.

If the title didn't give it away, this one is more regional and less import friendly than Shaun. It has a lot of cockney slang (including rhyming slang that goes right over my head). The cockney accents were also a little thicker than I'm used to so I'm sure I missed out on some of the jokes. Does anyone know what that piece of music that plays when they reveal the
Double-decker bus
is? Seems like it's a reference to something.

It's a fun little diversion and definitely one of the better post-Shaun flicks, but I'd put it a notch below Zombieland and Attack the Block.

27_WorldWarZ_zps8b62b593.jpg

27) World War Z (2013) (Oct 28)

I don't even know what to say about World War Z. I've read the book but I've gotten over my disappointment of them ditching everything but the title and I'm doing my best to judge the movie on its own merits.

It's not as terrible as I had anticipated but I am shocked at how a movie with such a thin plot can be so ludicrous. Why exactly is one man the answer to a world wide zombie epidemic? What's so damn special about him other than his amazing luck and spider-sense? All he seemed to do is look scared and run away from things until he stumbled into a good idea at the end. He sure does have a glorious mane of hair though.

The whole thing just reeks of rotting and decaying wasted potential. They sure as hell spent enough money to make a good, big budget zombie movie but instead it's just a weak Brad Pitt vanity piece that would make even Will Smith blush. If they had just shown a little restraint at times they probably could have beat it something decent, but nope, they went full speed and ruined anything that could have been good.

Some of the zombie action is pretty fun when the camera isn't doing it's damnedest to aim away from any gore, but it's mostly either too fake looking or too incomprehensibly shot to make any impact. Wasted potential. Wasted potential. Wasted potential.

And yes, I missed
Matthew Fox
too.

31 Days of Horror Lycanthropy Edition

Oct. 28 - An American Werewolf in London (1981)

An_American_Werewolf_in_London_poster.jpg

An American Werewolf in London (1981) - Winding down towards the end of the month and I've saved much of the best for last... 1981 was an embarrassment of riches as far as werewolf films was concerned, and this might be my favorite from that year. Fun, frightening and fast paced, this movie has aged so well it more than deserves its classic status. There's nothing I can say about it that hasn't been said a thousand times before, but Dayum, it's great! Always a treat to watch... and so is Jenny Agutter (be still my pounding heart!
at my age, it's dangerous to get over excited!
)

matt360

#25 - The Nightmare Before Christmas
K4y5ymH.jpg

Not a horror movie, but this is in my top 5 favorite movies list and I rewatch this movie multiple times with my students every year. So this is my first rewatch on my list. The movie is a classic and is pretty much perfect. Again, not a horror, but still somewhat macabre and spooky. 10/10.

#26 - Creepshow 2
nK9JbqM.jpg

I actually liked this more than part 1. There were only three stories this time around, which gave each one a bit more time to set themselves up and to build tension. The Raft and The Hitchhiker were the best two. The first segment started off well for about the first 2/3, but the ending was pretty disappointing. I mean, we all know what's going to happen, but the execution was way too boring. But like I mentioned, I found The Raft and The Hitchhiker to be the most engaging, and better than anything in the first movie. I also really like the shitty animation between segments and the corny jokes that the Creeper is always saying. Reminds me of the Cryptkeeper. 6.5/10

An-Det

Day 21: The Innkeepers

A nice little ghost story with the two main characters actually being interested in looking for the ghost. Some neat moments in this, some being fairly effective, and it wasn't bad, but also wasn't very engaging to me.

Day 22: The House of the Devil

Girl needs money so takes a babysitting job, alone at a creepy house in the middle of nowhere. Very much a throwback to 80's horror films, this was pretty good. The main girl not being a complete idiot was a nice change of pace as well. Really enjoyed this one.

Day 23: Night of the Living Dead (Rifftrax)

A bit out of order since I forgot to record this last Thursday. This is my sole rewatch but this was the latest Rifftrax Live event. The movie was great as I remembered it, really tense, but I'd forgotten how laughably useless Barbara was, which the Rifftrax crew put front and center ("you're my best friend, doylie"). Damn good film.

8 films left, cutting it real close, might have to spill one or two into Friday (since I'm not working) but I'll definitely finish this.

Ridley327

It's late, and my brain is fried.

WEEK FIVE - OLD HAUNTS
October 28

Despite some hokey acting here and there, this is one gorgeous and moody film that is remarkably easy to get lost in, thanks to Simone Simon's alluring screen presence and its rather unconventional yet compelling story. It's interesting to watch this film now after seeing so many films lift from it, as its impact is no less effective in my eyes.

Eerie and haunting, I Walked with a Zombie's sensational title does a great disservice to the sad mystery contained within. Despite being barely over an hour long, it demands a great deal of attention with the way its story is structured, as musical hints and bits of dialogue are all important and lead to the revelation and its tragic conclusion. Not a happy film by any stretch, but it has a strong emotional payoff. Definitely not for the people who prefer their zombies to be rotting on the outside, rather than the inside.

October 29 preview: So, it's clear now that I've really been fucking up by not getting into Jacques Tourneur sooner, which makes the schedule quite convenient, as we've got two more films by the director on tap. In keeping with the mini-marathon's Val Lewton focus, we'll turn to their third collaboration in The Leopard Man. And as a teensy, tiny little break, we'll fast forward a few years to another widely praised film: Night of the Demon. No, not the one where Bigfoot rips a guy's dick off and forces Girl Scouts to stab each other to death.

Ridley327

Going by the posters for those two films, I have to imagine that there were a lot of pissed off movie patrons that came out of either of those films.

Took a little break from the old forum posting habits, but now I'm back at the office!

Still on schedule, watched around 29 movies already. I'll spread my thoughts out over a couple of posts.

Movie #7 - Sleep Tight (Jaume Balagueró, 2011)
Was a very nice suprise from one of the [REC] directors, loved the art nouveau apartment setting, and Luis Tosar does creepy very well. Atmospheric and polished.

Movie #8 - Dead Silence (James Wan, 2007)
I had been ignoring Wan before, but I must admit this too was a cool classic horror tale, not all that original maybe, but an able update of the old scary ventriloquist doll theme.

Movie #9 - The Burning (Tony Maylan, 1981)
Entering slasher territory, this one was a decent example, liked the character introductions... also George Costanza!

Movie #10 - The Changeling (Peter Medak, 1980)
This was a very interesting feature, great atmosphere and interesting tale, very decent acting too. Quality horror, and the best of this batch.

cOo8kmA.jpg

Movie #11 - Phantoms (Joe Chappelle, 1998)
Didn't like this at all, from the characters to the creatures, it felt like a pilot of a cancelled TV show. But I guess Affleck owned ;)

Yup, yearly tradition for me as well. If you go back and watch the supplements, its awesome how the older actors are pretty proud of that film's legacy.
My favorite Zombies though are probably the ones on Day of the Dead.
But yeah, the punk rock aesthetic is so cool and timeless. My wife also cant get enough of it :)

Watch Return of the living dead 2 if you can. It honestly doesnt get enough love.

RoTLD is probably one of my favourite horror films ever. Its an absolute classic Horror/Comedy. The 3 leads are brilliant, Burt, Frank, and Freddie (as an aside, i was flicking channels yesterday and saw Frank in an episode of The Golden Girls as Bea Arthurs boyfriend lol). But theres a great mix of deadpan and comedy with them, Frank never fails to make me laugh with that AHHH JESUS BURT!!! screaming he does...and his monologue with Freddy about how the containers got shipped to the warehouse is great.
Favourite bit has to be when Burt sticks the pickaxe through the zombies head. "werent you supposed to hit the brain?" "I HIT THE FUCKING BRAIN!!" :lol

anyway, watched Creepshow and Event Horizon over the weekend:

Event Horizon is a great film, and has aged surprisingly well, aside from a few hokey CGI effects (notably on the dark matter in the core). Theres a few dumb scenes (the black guy being all DAYUM IMMA FLYIN THOUGH SPACE N SHEEIT) but overall its a brilliant horror film, would love to see the real uncut version that was supposedly lost.

Creepshow is a classic, again its cheesy and silly but also can be a bit creepy (hence the name hur hur) at times. The zombie in the first story was terrifying as a kid, and still looks damn good even nowadays. The stories are a good mix of silly (Jordy verill turning into a plant) and serious (said plant man blowing his own head off)

October 29 preview: So, it's clear now that I've really been fucking up by not getting into Jacques Tourneur sooner, which makes the schedule quite convenient, as we've got two more films by the director on tap. In keeping with the mini-marathon's Val Lewton focus, we'll turn to their third collaboration in The Leopard Man. And as a teensy, tiny little break, we'll fast forward a few years to another widely praised film: Night of the Demon. No, not the one where Bigfoot rips a guy's dick off and forces Girl Scouts to stab each other to death.

Val Lewton movies are among my favorites ever. Cat People is probably my absolute fave Lewton, or maybe it's I Walked With a Zombie... no I'm pretty sure it's Cat People...

re: Night of the Demon - I'm so jealous! Oh to be able to watch this for the first time again! Niall MacGinnis is brilliant! Be sure to stick to the British release... the American (titled Curse of the Demon) is the lesser of the two cuts...

And for more Lewton thrills, seek out The 7th Victim (which features Tom Conway's Dr. Judd)...

Going by the posters for those two films, I have to imagine that there were a lot of pissed off movie patrons that came out of either of those films.
I don't think so. These movies were hugely successful in their day. Lewton's films literally saved RKO financially at the time...

I didn't really participate here but I still followed this thread and watched some movies based on the recommendations in here! It's been a horrific month so far :)

I also started watching American Horror Story Coven after finishing Asylum.

4Dl0J0d.gif

I binged a bit and I'm over the 31 movies for the month but, here are my first 31 for October. Rating out of 5 is after them. I've put all 31 in just to recap.

1. The Dead Undead - 1
2. Munger Road - 1
3. Seance: The Summoning - 3
4. The Woman In Black - 3
5. American Mary - 4
6. Freddy vs. Jason - 3
7. Paranormal Activity 4: Unrated Edition - 3
8. Home Sweet Home - 3
9. [Rec] 3: Genesis - 3
10. Vampires: Out for Blood - 2
11. Resolution - 3
12. Playing House - 0....would be negative if I could. -1,000,000
13. The Collection - 4
14. Side Effects (not really horror but, it was what I went with that day) - 3
15. The Collector - 4
16. Needle - 3
17. Paranormal Asylum - 2
18. Maniac - 4
19. High Lane - 2
20. Bereavement - 3
21. Dead Silence - 4
22. The Conjuring - 4
23. World of the Dead: The Zombie Diaries 2 - 2
24. Salvage - 3
25. Storage 24 - 3
26. The Awakening - 2
27. Resurrection County - 3
28. Would You Rather - 3
29. Ritual - 1
30. The Final - 3
31. American Horror Story - all episodes up through the first 3 of this season. - 5

EDIT: I forgot to add V/H/S/2 - 4 as 31-b

Next part of the marathon!

Movie #12 - Dream Home (Ho-Cheung Pang, 2010)
One of the best I watched this month... stylish, funny, gory, entertaining from the first moment. Very recommended, just as it was recommended to me here on GAF!

Movie #13 - Candyman (Bernard Rose, 1992)
From the mind of Wes Craven, this was a bit too nineties, the antagonist didn't really convince me. Still had some fun with this, and Virginia Madsen was beautiful to look at.

Movie #14 - The Haunting (Robert Wise, 1963)
This could have been brilliant, the setup and environment were great, but fuck the Nell character, completely ruined it for me.

Movie #15 - The Lair of the White Worm (Ken Russell, 1988)
Probably the weirdest of the bunch, not one of the more polished Russell films, but having Peter Capaldi (with hair!) and Hugh Grant fighting some kind of sex and worm obsessed vampire lady goes a long way.

43lLS0X.jpg

haikira

2013_newmudty.png

*Title* = First Time Watch
1/5 = Hated | 2/5 = Didn't Like | 3/5 = Liked | 4/5 = Really Liked | 5/5 = Loved

01 *American Mary* 3.5/5
02 *Evil Dead (2013)* 3.5/5
03 *Session 9* 4/5
04 *V/H/S* 3/5
05 *Hellbound: Hellraiser II* 3.5/5
06 *Mama* 3/5
07 *A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)* 4.5/5
08 *A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge* 2/5
09 *A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors* 4.5/5
10 *Sinister* 3/5
11 *A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master* 2.5/5
12 *Ju-on: White Ghost* 2/5
13 *Creature from the Black Lagoon* 4.5/5
14 *Child's Play* 4/5

15 A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child (2.5/5)

Don't really have anything too insightful to say about this one. Wasn't awful, but pretty unengaging and ironically, I nearly nodded off more than once. It's ok, but i'm mostly sticking with the series now, as I really want to see New Nightmare.

Finished my 31, but have been watching a few more. Did a lot more last year but oh well.

- Night of the Living Dead (original)
The classic film, its very aged but still impresses with what they did back then. Barbara is awful and the sound mix is so bad in this... fucking crickets. I always preferred the remake *gasp*

- VHS2
Thought this was much better than the first one, but they seem to have forgotten the whole VHS aspect since everything is so pristine HD digital recordings, even when watched on VHS? Kinda liked the VHS approach as it hid some of the cheaper effects.

- Paranormal Activity 4
Ugh yea the series just keeps getting worse.

Linkhero1

Oct. 1 The Evil Dead (1983) - Great
Oct. 2 V/H/S 2 - Good
Oct. 3 Blair Witch Project - Boring
Oct. 4 Sleepaway Camp - Great
Oct. 5 Drag Me To Hell- Boring
Oct. 6 The Possession - Great
Oct. 7 Session 9- Great
Oct. 8 Nightmare on Elm Street 2 - Boring
Oct. 9 [REC] - Great
Oct. 10 Evil Dead 2 - Fantastic
Oct. 11 Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil - Fantastic
Oct. 12 Ringu - Good
Oct. 13 V/H/S - Good
Oct. 14 Dawn of the Dead (2004) - Great
Oct. 15 The Cabin in the Woods - Great
Oct. 16 Maniac (2012) - Great
Oct. 17 Fright Night (1985) - Great
Oct. 18 [REC] 2 - Great
Oct. 19 The Mist - Great
Oct. 20 Pet Sematary - Good
Oct. 21 Magic Magic - What the fuck did I just watch?
Oct. 22 The Shrine - Great
Oct. 23 The Bay - Good
Oct. 24 Army of Darkness - Great
Oct. 25 [REC] 3 - Good
Oct. 26 House - Good
Oct. 27 Grave Encounters - Good
Oct. 28 Devil - Good

Devil -

It was a nice change from the last couple of movies I've watched. Devil isn't a very scary film but for those who have fear of elevators, it will definitely not alleviate those fears. The group stuck together was pretty annoying. Not much else I want to say about this one.

Does Rocky Horror Picture Show count?

Because we went to a live screening last night and it was fantastic. I think the older conservative crowd that showed up for the spectacle may have been frightened by the sheer amount of jeering flesh on display. (I live in a small rural town.)

kaiju

Day 27: Jason X (2001)

jason-x-horror-poster.jpg

Oh God, this movie. I was hoping this might be decent because it's Kane Hodder as Jason in space, but no. The new Uber-Jason design is horrible. There are a few decent deaths in this one, but that's about it.

Divius

MQAT9T3.jpg

#27 - I Walked with a Zombie (1943)
Hey, wait a minute! These weren't the zombies I was expecting! All kidding aside though: zombies or not, this film never really gets scary anyway. It does, above all, have a fantastic atmosphere that builds tension and builds tension and .. it never really pays off as there is no real relief or climax. That's really too bad, especially since the dialogue is somewhat campy and the acting isn't that great either. Nonetheless the film is largely a success, mostly due to solid direction from Tourneur as he plays with lights and shadows creating incredible atmospheric images that really suck the viewer in the movie. There are a couple of formidable sequences, but overall I Walked with a Zombie was quite tame, somewhat dated and kept me longing for more, because just as things started to get good..it was over. 6.5/10

Divius

So that's 'only' 4 more movies to go for the marathon, I have these left on my list:

Peeping Tom - 1960
Onibaba - 1964
Kill Baby, Kill - 1966
The Fearless Vampire Killers - 1967
The Changeling - 1980
Prince of Darkness - 1987
Haute tension - 2003
A Horrible Way to Die - 2010
Halloween - 1978 (Will watch Halloween*)

*So that leaves 3 films. Which of these should I watch or not watch?

I'm thinking Yes on Kill Baby, Kill because all the Bava films I watched were cool, and I'm thinking No on A Horrible Way to Die. However, I am open to suggestions!

So that's 'only' 4 more movies to go for the marathon, I have these left on my list:

Peeping Tom - 1960
Onibaba - 1964
Kill Baby, Kill - 1966
The Changeling - 1980
Haute tension - 2003

I'm thinking Yes on Kill Baby, Kill because all the Bava films I watched were cool, and I'm thinking No on A Horrible Way to Die. However, I am open to suggestions!

Peeping Tom is a classic, and I thought Kill Baby...Kill was fine. I have a fond place for Onibaba and Prince of Darkness.

Resolution-2012-movie-poster.jpg

28. Resolution (Netflix Instant)

There's a part of me that wants to say nothing more now than "Go watch this movie and judge for yourself." It's a movie that I'm still digesting and will probably think about for a while, much like The Girl Next Door. Unlike that film, Resolution doesn't batter the viewer with brutality and ugliness. Nonetheless, it raises a question of why we watch films, particularly horror films. It doesn't condemn the viewer, like Funny Games does, nor does it play with the tropes of horror loudly, like Cabin in the Woods does. Instead, it leaves the viewer with a sense of unease about our expectations when we watch horror films.

Most reviews will compare or allude to other reviews comparing Resolution to Cabin in the Woods because it's an easy comparison. Both are horror films set in a remote cabin. Both acknowledge horror film tropes, and neither hesitates to try to subvert your expectations. They key difference is tone; even with its apocalyptic implications, Cabin in the Woods felt playful. Resolution, on the other hand, creates a sense of selfish desperation, from the inciting incident to the climax. I'd compare Resolution to Primer before I'd compare it to Cabin in the Woods.

Go watch the film; don't click on the spoilered text until you do.

I thought the film tipped its hand too heavily when
one of characters, while looking through a film reel to see their fate, says to the other that they'll be okay as long as they get through that reel of film. After all, if characters make it alive to the end of the reel of a movie, they're fine. Their adventures are over, and the audience won't see them again and can assume that they lived happy, uneventful lives. In hindsight, the posters give away the movie's trick to by making the poster look like a film strip. But the moment at the end when the two characters are celebrating because they gave the thing that was haunting and watching them (ie, us, the viewers) a happy ending only for our manifestation in the film's world to rise angrily because we don't go to watch horror movies for happy endings was not too heavy-handed. The moment where the characters see and hear the conversation they had mere minutes ago on a laptop was also a nice touch. It reproduced a gag from Spaceballs, of all movies, and it's a jab at digital piracy.

I appreciated that the characters were smart. The protagonist leaves the remote cabin to a place where he has cell phone coverage so he can call his wife. He tries to stay out of trouble, first by
trying to buy off the meth heads who came to the cabin looking for his friend and their meth, then by buying off the Native American reservation security so he can keep his friend in the cabin while he detoxes.
And what happens in the film is defined by his character flaw:
his mission to help his friend recover from his drug addiction might seem altruistic, but he comes to realize that his need to help his friend get clean is driven by his selfishness, his need to do something remarkable before his wife gives birth to their son. No rational person would really taser his lapsed friend, chain him to a cabin, and keep him confined for a week so he can get clean.

The film is let down by its acting and its dialogue. Profanity is used like a crutch to keep the dialogue up in the scenes where the two protagonists discuss their friendship, their shared history, and their motivations. The actor playing the drug addict is too loud; the actor playing the friend who's trying to help is too soft and mumbling. The film is carried by its conceit and the trail of clues it lays out for the viewer to follow up to the point where the viewer realizes his or her complicity in the game.

Peeping Tom - 1960
Onibaba - 1964
Kill Baby, Kill - 1966
The Changeling - 1980
Haute tension - 2003

Vote for Peeping Tom and Onibaba here.

Divius

f2JHNXC.jpg

#28 - Peeping Tom (1960)
Today Peeping Tom is universally praised by critics and filmmakers alike, but reviled and even banned when it was first released. Why? Was the film too vulgar? Too disturbing? Or was it too meta were the viewers offended as they were 'accused' of being a Peeping Tom, much like the film's main character, as well? Either way, we've moved on and what we are left with is a marvelous piece of filmmaking, an intimate character study and an exploration of voyeurism and fear. It's really well made, with a lovely technicolor palette with deep reds and light blues, playful and frightening lighting and fantastic pacing and editing. The psychological aspect of Mark, our Peeping Tom, is the most interesting thing as we dive into his emotions and learn about his upbringing and the roots of his evil, as we see the connection between abuse and sex and his first movie camera, linking them together for good. Boehm plays the character chillingly well; being shy, vulnerable and somewhat awkward, but absolutely disturbing and even menacing when need be. 8.5/10

aFIGurANT

#25 - Vampyros Lesbos
MV5BMjE1MjI1MzMzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDcwNDMzMQ@@._V1_SY210_SX150_.jpg

This movie is all about the atmosphere. I had to find subtitles to watch it but in all honestly I probably didn't even need to. This is the kind of thing you find set to music on youtube. And not just your regular music but hardcore psychadelic stuff. The style is amazing and the vampiress is a visual stunner too. The plot has one or two unneeded and flat notes but I guess they were trying to pad the runtime a bit as this is under 90 minutes as is. Not scary but worth the watch here as October winds down.

*Googles the actress who plays Count Nadine*

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
25. Toxic Avenger II- Saw this one pop up on netflix, and figured, well I've seen the first so why not the 2nd? I was looking for some exploitation fun and so bad it's good stuff, but this one is just way beyond that. There is significantly less gore, far worse effects, and some of the laziest film-making/writing I've ever seen. I'm compelled to finish the series, but I still can't really stand anything Lloyd Kaufman has made.

1.5/10

26. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre(1974)- I've finally seen it! Leatherface is one of the most famous of the horror movie villains, and I've seen just about every one including the sequels to the original, the remake, the sequels to the remake, etc. But somehow I had never seen the original. I've heard a ton of hype about it, and it definitely delivered on a lot of it. The way this movie is filmed and the type of film used really adds to the effect of it all. The performances are scary as hell out of the demented family, and the sound effects send chills. There's a lack of gore for obvious reasons, but a movie doesn't need that to be good. It's definitely got it's problems, but it really is such a creepy and tense movie. I also like that at least some of the "true story" stuff can come through in this one, with the furniture made from bones/skulls, etc. And the whole grave robbing aspect was a nice touch.

8/10

27. Piranha- I had already seen the TERRIBLE remakes (sorry gaf...), and wasn't really compelled at all to watch this, but I saw Joe Dante listed as the director, and for the most part I enjoy what he makes so I figured I'd give it a shot. This movie is significantly better than the remakes. It's cheesy as hell, but it has a decent sense of humor, and some solid performances. Overall it's worth a watch if you're into older horror.

6.5/10

28. The Serpent and the Rainbow- I saw this recommended for me on netflix, but had little to no interest. Once I saw Wes Craven and Bill Pullman I had to give it a shot, and I was pleasantly surprised. While this wasn't as well received or as well known as some of Wes Craven's other movies around the time, I actually preferred this to the last Craven movie I watched, The People Under the Stairs. It's a very unique story that's loosely based on a "true story", whatever that's worth. It gets absolutely ridiculous at parts, but it's creepy and a very unique take on horror. It also covers one of the most terrifying methods of dying I've ever seen. Check this one out.

7.5/10

Got 3 more to go, so far I've got The Descent and Dead End on tap, not sure what will be for the finale.

1. The Prophecy- 5/10
2. Event Horizon- 6/10
3. The collection- 2.5/10
4. John Dies at the End- 5.5/10
5. Grave Encounters 2- 3/10
6. The Grey- 7/10
7. Pumpkinhead- 2/10
8. Hood of Horror- 1/5/10
9. Black Death- 7/10
10. Apollo 18- 1.5/10
11. Leviathan- 5.5/10
12. The Bay- 5.5/10
13. Attrocious- 2.5/10
14. The Loved Ones.- 7.5/10
15. Poughkeepsie Tapes- 6.0/10
16. Irreversible- 8/10
17. Maniac- 7/10
18. The Tall Man- 1.5/10
19. Dream Home- 6.5/10
20. Ju-on- The Grudge- 7/10
21. Long Pigs- 7.5/10
22. House on Haunted Hill(1959)- 9/10

23. Apartment 143-- 2.5
24. The People Under the Stairs-- 6.5

October 29th

Of the 53 films I’ve watched so far, 51 of them have been English language movies made since 2000 (originals, not remakes or sequels) that I haven’t seen before, as per the rule I set myself at the beginning of October. If I am to reach my goal of an average of two films a day for the whole of the month, I’ve got to watch nine more films. There are not nine more films available to me that obey the rules I set, and that I can bring myself to watch. I want to watch some of my favourite films instead.

Film number 54: A Nightmare on Elm Street

What more is there to say about this classic movie that hasn’t already been said by The Simpsons? It scared the hell out of me when I was 16, though it’s hard to see exactly why nearly thirty years later. It’s also hard to see how much nostalgia plays a part in my continued enjoyment of it. It’s one of the few movies where I’ve actively avoided seeing the remake, I know that much.

mub6Luw.png

Score: Bloody fantastic out of 10. I’m your boyfriend now Nancy.

Film number 55: The Thing

There’s no way of knowing for definite but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen The Thing more often than any other movie. Along with Alien, it’s my joint favourite horror film. Chilling, gory, rammed to the gills with classic lines, fantastic characters, world class practical effects (and some dodgy stop-motion animation moments to remind you just how long this film has remained top of the pile), The Thing is the best remake ever made. I’m wearing my Outpost#31 sweatshirt in its honour even as I write.

NEMMSqg.png

Score: Utter supreme magnificence out of 10. I’m tied to this fucking couch every time it’s on.

Film number 56: An American Werewolf in London

My wife’s all time favourite movie, and another film I’ve watched enough times to know pretty much the entire script off by heart. Funny and gory and sad and wonderful, it’s hands down the best werewolf movie ever made. Also the only film I know to point out in the end credits that ‘Any similarity to actual events or persons, living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental.’

TnGJgFr.gif

Score: Jenny Agutter’s radiant beauty out of 10. I’ve been swooning for years.

Watching all three of these films again today has made me very happy. I was surprised to see how dated A Nightmare on Elm Street looks compared to the other two marginally older films though. Apart from a few dodgy effects, The Thing holds up particularly well. Kurt Russell is just so awesome. Johnny Depp is now one of my favourite actors, but another thing about ANoES I'd forgotten was how crap he was in it. Still good fun though.

matt360

#27 - Sleepaway Camp
jbPDCvd.jpg

This movie is fantastic. I can't believe I've never gotten around to seeing this one. Terrible acting in the best possible way, 80s people acting like 80s people, the perv cook calling the young female campers "baldies", and man, that ending. A surprising lack of nudity considering the setting and subject matter, but the movie was still great. 9/10

#28 - Zombie (Zombi 2)
GM7ZWJ8.jpg

Overall I liked it, but I didn't like it as much as I was hoping I would. There were some really great scenes, and those who have seen it know exactly which scenes I'm talking about. I liked the make-up on the zombies. The zombies who had been in the ground for a long time actually looked like they came from the ground. And there were some extremely beautiful women in this movie. Like, 007 level. But honestly I found the downtime scenes to be quite boring. 6.5/10

Gameboy415

1. The Relic (Blu-Ray)
2. Ghoulies (Netflix)
3. Nightmares (1983) (YouTube)
4. The Amityville Horror (2005) (DVD)
5. Battledogs (Netflix)
6. Scream 4 (Netflix)
7. Satan's Little Helper (Netflix)
8. Tales From the Crypt Presents: Demon Knight (Netflix)
9. Perfect Blue (DVD)
10. John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns (Blu-Ray)
11. Screamtime (Netflix)
12. Bread Crumbs (Netflix)
13. Ghoulies 2 (Netflix)
14. Tales From the Crypt Presents: Bordello of Blood (Netflix)
15. Hotel Transylvania 3D (Blu-Ray)
16. Hellraiser (Netflix)
17. Paranormal Activity (Blu-Ray)
18. Evil Dead (2013) (Blu-Ray)
19. Galaxy of Terror (Netflix)
20. House (Netflix)
21. House 2 (Netflix)
22. 30 Days of Night (Blu-Ray)
23. Creepshow (Blu-Ray)
24. 30 Days of Night: Dark Days (Blu-Ray)
25. Paranormal Activity 2 (Blu-Ray)
26. Creepshow 2 (Netflix)
27. Paranormal Activity 3 (Blu-Ray)

28. Paranormal Activity 4 (Netflix)

-Despite the lackluster reviews, I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Plus the main character was apparently named after me, haha.

29. Creepshow 3 (DVD)

-It wasn't horrible and I did like how all 5 stories crossed over with one another but it really had no business being labeled as part of the "Creepshow" franchise.

30. Shakma (Netflix)

-A friend recommended this one to me....I'm not entirely sure why, haha.
It's about a bunch of students playing a live-action RPG in a laboratory building with their professor while being hunted by a rabid baboon. Yep.

31. Shutter (DVD)

-It wasn't the best by Japanese-horror movie standards but I still enjoyed it quite a bit, especially the ending.

I MADE IT THROUGH 31 FILMS THIS YEAR!! WOO!
I'll include a few bonus movies to make up for the past few years where I was only able to watch 15-20 films, haha. (plus I want to watch a few of my favorites on Halloween)

B1. Quarantine (DVD)

-I really enjoyed this one! I plan to check out the sequel and the [REC] series asap as well.

B2. The Gate (DVD)

-I only discovered this film a few years ago but it's definitely one of my all-time favorites!

Top Bottom