• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradise Lost: First Contact - KS - 2D Alien game - PC/Mac/Linux (PS3/4/Vita, WiiU)

kuppy

b8e7de2efd4bbef2716a187954fd1ab9_large.gif

Take the role of an alien plant and escape from a hostile scientific facility, full of secrets and dangerous experiments.

Kickstarter
by Asthree Works (their first game)

$70,000 goal - PC, Mac, Linux, Wii U, Quya
funding possible until Sunday Dec 1, 10:41pm CET

Stretch Goals
$200,000 - PS3 / PS4 / Vita
$250,000 - Wii U version on day one

$12 ($9 Early Bird) for a DRM-free copy and one Steam key (has been Greenlit)
$15 for a console key

Synopsis
In a remote desert, an unidentified object falls from the skies. A research organization known as G.E.R. has tracked and found the mysterious meteor: a capsule of organic material that brings an unknown life-form to our planet from the depths of space. Here begins the story of this impossible being, as it attempts to escape and survive on this strange, hostile world that we call home.

The Game
In Paradise Lost you will take control of an alien plant that has been hidden in a secret bio-engineering facility. A security breach in the system allows the plant to escape from imprisonment and discover the secret purposes of the research organization which put it in a jar.

References and gameplay
Our adventure takes inspiration from classic games like Metal Gear, Metroid, Castlevania and the Oddworld series, focusing on action/stealth gameplay with a dash of platforming and puzzle-solving elements.
The game incorporates nonlinear, Metroidvania style mechanics, in which the player at first finds many areas inaccessible. To continue the exploration and escape from the facility, the player has to use specific objects and unlock new abilities.
There is also an RPG component: during the course of playing the player gets to direct the evolution of the alien plant, adapting it to their playing style with different skills that will be discovered as the game progresses. These enhancements will allow players to develop their own gaming strategies as the story unfolds.
Saw the RPS article about the game last week, gave them a Yes on Greenlight and was hooked. Yeah, the game looks fabulous and to play as Alien sure is interesting, specially with those planned features.
Their Kickstarter campaign seem to work out nicely, would be fantastic if they could reach the console goal.

Omikaru

719a988ecd2223d640fc93a26248a45b_large.png

Heh, a neat little MGS1 reference there.

Love the way this looks, and I may consider pledging. I'll see how the stretch goals and future pan out, as I wouldn't mind playing this on Vita.

Alpha_eX

Tempted to go in for $1000, this game looks great and I'd like to be in the game eating a bucket of chicken.

*pledges immediately, then reads the info and watches the video*
...Yeah, I made the right choice. Hope it hits the PS family tier, even if I have to give up my early bird slot.

maxcriden

Looks great. I don't back Kickstarters but I will gladly buy the game if it comes out on Wii U. Here's hoping they hit that stretch goal with exposure on here and in a Nintendo Life article I saw.

EVH

This game looks super interesting. The concept is great and looks beautiful! Glad to see Kickstarter helping this kind of stuff.

Keyouta

Damn this looks great! I like the art style and animation; the story looks to be pretty interesting too!

Tizoc

Hold up in some KSes the Wii U target is lower than the other systems, why is it the opposite here?

Hold up in some KSes the Wii U target is lower than the other systems, why is it the opposite here?

Three person group (and not sure if they have previous experience with Wii U development? Prob not.), they want the game to make good use of Wii U's unique features so they'd have to test and play around to see how to best use it, among other reasons. Their recent update addresses this.

maxcriden

Man, the art style in this is really growing on me. I really like the sprite work. I realize it's too late for the OP to change the title, but maybe a mod can put KICKSTARTER in the actual title? I've noticed that tends to attract more attention, and the coveted NeoGAF bump could really help this project....

kuppy

I realize it's too late for the OP to change the title, but maybe a mod can put KICKSTARTER in the actual title? I've noticed that tends to attract more attention, and the coveted NeoGAF bump could really help this project....
Would have loved to do so, but considering the character limit I thought I go with 'KS' and the other details (I think the platforms are pretty important for some to be interested), and yeah there are quite a lot of threads that go with KS in the title.

50% done

Tizoc

Three person group (and not sure if they have previous experience with Wii U development? Prob not.), they want the game to make good use of Wii U's unique features so they'd have to test and play around to see how to best use it, among other reasons. Their recent update addresses this.

Ah I see, well seems the KS has managed to reach the halfway point by now last I checked, hope it reaches the Sony systems target at least, but good luck to the team either way.

Ah I see, well seems the KS has managed to reach the halfway point by now last I checked, hope it reaches the Sony systems target at least, but good luck to the team either way.

Yeah, their port stretch goals are fairly high, but I'd rather they have more than they need (and possibly use it on polish) than fall short. Here's to keeping our fingers crossed!

JDSN

Banned
The music on the trailer was amazing, Im really interested in the game since that RPS preview and my pledge has been there since day one.

However, knowing that the Unity license for Nintendo consoles is essentially free its rubbish that they are putting it at a higher stretch goal, touch screens controls or not.

maxcriden

Would have loved to do so, but considering the character limit I thought I go with 'KS' and the other details (I think the platforms are pretty important for some to be interested), and yeah there are quite a lot of threads that go with KS in the title.

50% done

That makes sense, and I hadn't realized that about those other threads. Thanks for the info.

I really like the look of this, but I've put a 'Remind me' option on so I can check out to see how it's doing with two days to go. I told myself I had to stop putting money into Kickstarter games, but if this is close to reaching the PlayStation stretch goal I might help out. Looks like it would be great on the Vita, and I love how it's got a proper Metroidvania map overlay.

Jackano

Looks interesting but I will not pledge it because the stretch goal for Wii U is completely bullshit. To me it's not so much that 250k is high, but more the fact that the stretch goal for the other devices is 50k less. For a Unity game and giving the Nintendo/Unity deal that was revealed a while ago, it doesn't makes sense. Even with special Gamepad tweaks this doesn't seem serious.

Haha, that's awesome! I'd love to see other skins like this in the game, and other crossovers like this in games in general.
Then you'll be happy to here that the devs are interested in a Hyper Light Drifter crossover.

---
And some cool new info:
"The plant could make "mind-control" by throwing spines that transforms enemies into puppets for a short period of time."

maxcriden

Then you'll be happy to here that the devs are interested in a Hyper Light Drifter crossover.

---
And some cool new info:
"The plant could make "mind-control" by throwing spines that transforms enemies into puppets for a short period of time."

You're right, I'm very happy to hear that! Thanks for the info. I think the design for HLD would mesh with PLFC very well. Also, the mind control move sounds awesome. I think I saw something to that effect in the reveal trailer.

kuppy

yeah sadly it doesn't go as well as some might hopped it would, although it sure is doing good.

yes, kicktraq is not always right but still gives a good perspective of the progress

Indies just don't like xbox, you want indies, pc,nintendo and sony is where you will find them for the foreseeable future.

It just reeks of desperation of getting on PS before Sony grows enough that they can shut the gate and demand fees when the PS4 marketplace becomes big enough.

Top Bottom