• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG Fall Insomnia Sale [Limited quantity sales!]

GOG is starting their fall sale. A game is up for sale at a set discount, quantities of games are limited and when one sells out the next is set up for sale. Some games will have a small allotment for free (initially/randomly?)

You remember back when you used to walk into a store, browse the shelves, pick out a game, and then buy it--all in the actual real world? We don't know about you, but most of us at GOG.com have had our limbs atrophy to small vestigial nubbins since all of our shopping happens online these days. Of course, one thing that sometimes happens in real world stores with real world goods--particularly when they have a good sale--is that they run out of stock. Usually that means that the deal was so good that they couldn't keep up with demand.

Well, in the digital realm, this is usually pretty rare. How do you run out of stock on digital games, short of entropy devouring the universe? Well, we have gotten 101 games that will be on sale on the front page of GOG.com, but the discounts are so high at the moment that we can't just sell an unlimited number of copies of these games: we are only able to sell a few at these discounts--up to 80% off--and once they're gone, they're gone.

So what games will be on sale in our Insomnia promo? Bestselling classics and new games alike. There will also occasionally be some free games in super limited numbers (like, 20 or 30 copies)--if you're fast enough on the trigger finger to pick 'em up, that is. The deal will run from now until we're out of "stock" of games for the sale, and games may show up more than once. So it's time to bathe in a tub of coffee*, dip some espresso**, snort an energy drink***, or do whatever else it takes to stay up so you don't miss out on the best deals on fantastic games on GOG.com since summer.

Current Deal:
Shadow Man ($2.39 60%) ~250

Past Deals: (Not inclusive)
System Shock 2 ($1.99 80%) ~500
Don't Starve ($4.99 66%)
Sacred Gold ($1.99 80%) ~100
Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav ($3.99 ~80%) ~200
Shelter ($3.99 60%) ~100
Deus Ex GOTY ($1.99 80%) ~400
Icewind Dale ($1.99 80%) ~300
Wargame European Escalation ($6.69 66%) ~100
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident ($1.99 80%) ~100
Assassins Creed: Director's Cut ($4.99 75%) ~100
Miasmata ($2.99 80%) ~100
Theme Hospital ($1.49 75%) ~400
Puddle ($1.99 80%) ~100
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition ($1.49 75%) ~150
Thief Gold ($1.99 80%) ~200
Sword of the Stars: The Pit ($2.09 70%) ~250
Blood ($1.49 75%) ~150
Master of Magic ($1.19 80%) ~200
Chaos Engine ($3.29 66%) ~150
Reus ($2.49 75%) ~200
Megabyte Punch ($4.99 66%) ~150
Populous: The Beginning ($1.49 75%) ~200
Magrunner: Dark Pulse ($9.99 50%) ~50
Neverwinter Nights 2 Complete($3.99 80%) ~700
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller ($10.09 66%) ~150
Thief 2 ($1.99. %) ~200
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream($1.93 66%) ~350
Expeditions: Conqustador ($4.99 75%) ~200

Neogaf GOG thread - First post has recommended titles

Knurek

I know that GOG is know for... shall we say, weird publicity stunts. Still, this is a very weird idea, goes completely against digital strengths.

Not sure who came up with the idea, but I surely wouldn't want it to catch on for other stores.

mclem

At what point in a purchase is a game 'reserved'? Do you have to do a complete 'buy' process before you're guaranteed it? I'm wondering how to cross-reference this sale against which games I actually own rapidly enough.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I know that GOG is know for... shall we say, weird publicity stunts. Still, this is a very weird idea, goes completely against digital strengths.

Not sure who came up with the idea, but I surely wouldn't want it to catch on for other stores.

It is pretty strange, I wonder how the developers view it. I mean Don't Starve for instance has 400 copies, with the 70% cut devs get from GOG sales that's a "whopping" $1400 they'll get out of it. Seems kind of pointless.

Jag

Wow, these sales are going fast. I clicked Tropico 3 for free as soon as it popped and it was gone. People must be using scripts.

Sinatar

Wargame European Escalation just went up. Just a word of warning, the sequel (Airland Battle) completely nullifies any need to play EE, so I'd pass.

teiresias

Haha. Limited quantities? F dealing with that crap on a digital store. Probably the stupidest thing they've done since faking everyone losing access to their libraries.

Rolodzeo

Wow, these sales are going fast. I clicked Tropico 3 for free as soon as it popped and it was gone. People must be using scripts.

Well, I managed to get one but it said it was gone before my browser loaded the confirmation page. I don't even know how I got it, I had almost no time to see the "get it" button.

Jag

Wargame European Escalation just went up. Just a word of warning, the sequel (Airland Battle) completely nullifies any need to play EE, so I'd pass.

That's why it's stalling worse than a refurbished Woot Roomba.

This is ridiculous.

I saw Shelter.

"looks nice, I'll go for the credit card."

When I came back, was Deus ex on offer. Shelter didn't last even a minute >_<

mrpeabody

Crazy deals are ok if they're time-limited, but not if they're quantity-limited? That's a weirder idea to me.

This is no different from Amazon Gold Box. Amazon says "OK, here's a rock-bottom price but we're only selling 5000 and then we're done." They have plenty more in stock, but they're only gonna offer X number at that price.

Minsc

Gold Member

It's actually a great idea, certainly playful. Plays to digital strengths, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with offering extra discounts in limited quantities as an incentive to get people to make purchases so long as the product itself is not limited and continues to be sold after the limited quantity sale is done.

nny

This game is going so slowly that I bet some people are buying it just to get to see what's coming next.

It makes people click buy before thinking.

Looks to me like there are lots of people are not even getting to buy it.

Always good business, turning away money.

I think it could be interesting, just the quantities should be tweaked. I'm sure they do just want people to sit there all day watching it, but it's so limited I'm completely disinterested in it at this point.

epmode

This idea basically guarantees that for each game on sale, someone will be pissed off that they can't get it in time. GOG, I love you so much but why do you do dumb things?

Sinatar

Wow Shelter went up for free. I clicked it the instant it popped up and it still came up expired. Theme Hospital is up now for $1.50.

cicero

Shelter for free. 11 copies. Gone in less than a second. Annoying.

Theme Hospital up now, 500 copies. I bet this is gone in a minute. I am really disliking this promo.

Minsc

Gold Member
This idea basically guarantees that for each game on sale, someone will be pissed off that they can't get it in time. GOG, I love you so much but why do you do dumb things?

How pissed do you get over $1 or $2? :p

Besides, the games will go on sale again, if nothing else the Holiday / Winter sale is right around the corner.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wargame: European Escalation was the most generic, boring title I'd ever heard back when that game came out. It seems that nobody else is particularly interested either...

Sinatar

Yea this is a gong show. I'm sure they meant well when they thought this up, but man what a misfire.

Linkark07

Banned
Only grabbed Assassin's Creed so far. Might be the only one, if this promo doesn't last until the night, since I'm going to college soon.

Jag

We are at 16/100. So at this rate, I'm thinking the sale will last maybe...2 more hours?

Serandur

First off, and this cannot be stressed enough, this is a really dumb idea. Not only are people busy with their lives and the anxiety this causes stupid, but ignores a fundamental strength of the digital distribution model and is severely limiting potential profit by limiting supply. Though, I suspect this is an intentional experiment just to see how the limited supply affects demand and sales and perhaps GOG do not want to sell so many of a given title at a discount. In any case, it's stupid from my viewpoint as a consumer. I did snag Miasmata though, and I feel terrible contributing to this horrible sale model because of it.

Top Bottom