• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

Vieo said:
After this NPD, I really don't see what can resurrect PS3. Wii was in hardware shortages, while PS3 had a price-drop, piles of consoles on store shelves, three (Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, & CoD4) AAA games, a holiday gift-giving season push, and it STILL couldn't crack 1 million. It didn't even come close.

I mean, my god, even 360 outsold it.

It's like I'm back in the 1990's and I'm seeing SNES being outsold by the Atari Jaguar.
Such a revelation. How does it feel to be surprised month atfer month about the same thing?

Snah

Banned
DarthWaiter said:
Will someone tell me why the PS3 selling 797.6 K in one month is bad? It's a 400 / 500 dollar machine. How is selling that much bad?

That said, I only bought it for Blu-Ray and have no intentions of ever buying a PS3 game.

do you play videogames?

Leondexter said:
Did anyone really say that, or did they say it could, if Nintendo had the supply? That's what I said, and I believe it, though it's not provable. If the Wii had done as well as the DS did (as it did much of the year), it would be within 100k now.

IIRC there were at least a couple of people (normally reasonable folks, too) who literally thought that Wii was likely to sell over 2 million in December, etc. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong.

I've predicted stockpiling for some time but not on that scale.

It doesn't really matter, it's all for fun anyway.

Thanks, Raw64life, for posting those totals occasionally. I wish we'd get a few more numbers in here. Maybe tomorrow.

Snah said:
do you play videogames?

You're still here? Say something crazy, the thread is slowing down.

Vieo said:
After this NPD, I really don't see what can resurrect PS3. Wii was in hardware shortages, while PS3 had a price-drop, piles of consoles on store shelves, three (Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, & CoD4) AAA games, a holiday gift-giving season push, and it STILL couldn't crack 1 million. It didn't even come close.

I mean, my god, even 360 outsold it.

It's like I'm back in the 1990's and I'm seeing SNES being outsold by the Atari Jaguar.

Except the Jaguar had a ton of good, exclusive games? Your post baffles me.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Vieo said:

Huh?

I honestly can't fathom how you could associate the 360 with the Jaguar, nevermind associating the PS3 with the SNES.

jgwhiteus

beermonkey@tehbias said:
IIRC there were at least a couple of people (normally reasonable folks, too) who literally thought that Wii was likely to sell over 2 million in December, etc. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong.

I predicted 1.7M, and I don't think 2M+ would have been an "unreasonable" prediction. Nintendo was clearly holding stock back, as this month's U.S. and Japan numbers show. It's just that no one knew how much. So we were all taking shots in the dark - I don't think there could have been any "reasonable" guesses given the lack of info. (vs. Sony, where they released hard numbers that let us approximate, etc.)

beermonkey@tehbias said:

True, true, it's all for fun. It'd also be fun to show the crazies on the other end (who predicted that Nintendo had no holiday stock) that Wii sales weren't flat from earlier months. There were a few around who thought stocking for the holidays was financially unsound. :^p

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Oh yes. Nintendo was holding back, because y'know, it's good for business to not go all out during December.

Snah

Banned
Leondexter said:
Thanks, Raw64life, for posting those totals occasionally. I wish we'd get a few more numbers in here. Maybe tomorrow.

You're still here? Say something reasonable that the unsophisticated crowd of irrational gaffers that only look at raw numbers without context will scoff at because it runs contrary to their simplistic views

Fixed, but I wasn't asking you that question.

jgwhiteus

chespace said:
Oh yes. Nintendo was holding back, because y'know, it's good for business to not go all out during December.

? If you're responding to my post, by "holding stock back" I meant "stockpiling earlier in the year" because this December's U.S.+Japan is over their stated 1.8M/month production limit.

Clearly they tried to sell through everything they'd produced and stockpiled for December.

jgwhiteus said:
I predicted 1.7M, and I don't think 2M+ would have been an "unreasonable" prediction. Nintendo was clearly holding stock back, as this month's U.S. and Japan numbers show. It's just that no one knew how much. So we were all taking shots in the dark - I don't think there could have been any "reasonable" guesses given the lack of info. (vs. Sony, where they released hard numbers that let us approximate, etc.)

Look, it's not you guys, it's other members. I'm not going to name names but here are a couple of chestnuts:

One guy:

Reports are already trickling in that MASSIVE amounts of Wiis are being shipped this month. Unprecedented levels. Doesn't mean it will do 3M in December but it's likely.

Another guy:

360 is looking at 800k NOV and 1.5m DEC at BEST. PS3 is looking at 300k NOV and 600k DEC at BEST. Wii is looking at 1.5m NOV and 3m+ dec.

Shipment numbers versus production numbers says they have 4 million back stock and can produce another 3.6 million in nov and dec.... for a grand total of 7.6 million systems shipped worldwide in nov+dec. Prepare to see Wii eclipse the 360 userbase in europe AND in the US by the end of december. Also prepare for the Wii to eclipse PS3+360 worldwide by march.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
jgwhiteus said:
? If you're responding to my post, by "holding stock back" I meant "stockpiling earlier in the year" because this December's U.S.+Japan is over their stated 1.8M/month production limit.

Clearly they tried to sell through everything they'd produced and stockpiled for December.

Oh, my bad. :lol Carry on, nevermind me. I'm gonna finish this bottle of wine now.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Look, it's not you guys, it's other members. I'm not going to name names but here are a couple of chestnuts:

One guy:

Another guy:

:lol

beermonkey@tehbias said:

That said, their hand was basically played at the end of November. Weekly shipment remained flat from the end of november and the whole month of December. Most still held on to the belief that December would be significantly higher. Why? I have no idea.

Uncle

Snah said:
Say something reasonable that the unsophisticated crowd of irrational gaffers that only look at raw numbers without context will scoff at because it runs contrary to their simplistic views

Fixed, but I wasn't asking you that question.

Nailed it like Tom Cruise.
86eqo2p.gif

beermonkey@tehbias said:

One guy:

Another guy:
I said it back then and I'll say it again. Fucking lunacy.

unomas

Banned
360 software amazing, I bought most of those top sellers and am still considering picking up Rock Band or Guitar Hero this month. It's crazy that even though percentage wise PS3 and 360 3rd party titles seem to be similar that all these other games like Halo 3 and Mass Effect sell monster numbers as well. The attach rate must be a little rediculous at this point.

And Grand Theft Auto hasn't even hit yet, but before that happens hopefully they get a pricecut. The Mario Galaxy numbers are shocking to me, I didn't think it would move that many units considering Sunshines numbers but it definitely did. Nintendo needs to ramp up Wii production before the hot item cools off.

rs7k said:
Whatever the difference is between all the consoles doesn't really matter much for third parties. The gen is almost over in terms of developing engines, greenlighting new games. What you're seeing now is pretty much how it will play out for the rest of the gen, unless the PS3 goes back to selling 100k a month in the US.

If that happens, you'll see quiet cancellations and such.

If the PS2 has taught us anything, we have grossly underestimated the lifespan of a console. Ultimately, the PS2 sprung so far ahead that it effectively killed the other consoles, forcing those companies to ready their guns early. In turn, it forced Sony to upgrade. It essentially prematurely killed off the last generation.

When one looks at the cost of developing a new console, it may end up being better to wait a little bit. Sony is in the red. Microsoft might be too, and if they arent, they just dug themselves out. What financial reason do they have to force another console on us when they can sit back and let this generation carry on longer?

There isnt one console sprinting ahead to really force the other companies to the drawing board. So I think we can expect a longer generation. This means that the 3rd party companies will start looking at what their next round of projects are. To me, the wii and 360 are pretty safe bets for putting games onto. The PS3 is a sort of enigma. It seems that if a 3rd party puts the effort into making a AAA game for both the 360 and PS3, PS3 version will be fine (COD4 and AC atest to this). However, if the company doesnt have the resources to develop an upper teir game, I can see those becoming 360 exclusives.

The true wild card in all of this is if companies believe that Sony can put up a good fight. As I see it, there are 2 major bonafide system systems in the pipe line for them. That is Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo. There is a distinct possiblity that those 2 games could hit in 2009. If I'm Sony, I'm making sure that those games are coming out this year. I realize that Sony has a bunch of amazing games coming out this year (I'm probably going to get all of them) but they arent the system sellers that Halo or Mario are.

Maybe Wii games will have legs like DS games as the "hardcore" slowly find themselves Wii throughout the year. We should keep track of Metroid sales throughout 2008.

GottiDC

Banned
do people forget that the ps3 came out in Nov of 06. Do people for get that ps3 gained up 5million user base at $600, before the price drop of Nov 06. Did people forget that the ps3 is beating the 360 in world wide sales. Do people for get that the reason cod4sold more on 360 is because its shooter heaven and gained mass appeal from cod2? Do people forget that Sony is jugling 3 systems at one time. So do u really think when they respond to the ndp that there not going to respond about it. Do people forget that cheap toys allways sell more than video games(wii=toy) do people forget that psp and ds are for diffrent people,ps3 And the 360 are for diffrent people than the wii. Yes the 360 has a better attach ratio than the other system but of course its going to be like that when u have the lamest geeks in the world buyng the system, who only care about games, andrefuse to leave the house. I no that may sound harsh but its true. I mean did u see the halo 3 lines on g4, there was more acne streesed kids in that line, than 20 years of strides and proactive comercials. And the only people who will get mad at me saying that are the geeks and lakes that I'm talking about. Ps3 biggest titles have not hit but there coming and 08 will be a diffent ad waaay better year for Sony and gaming. Mgs4 and insomniac will save gaming forever please quote me on that.

Rezbit

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics seems to be doing really well. Maybe Sega will hit that 4 mil mark they were talking about?

Halo 3 is just nuts.

GottiDC said:
do people forget that the ps3 came out in Nov of 06. Do people for get that ps3 gained up 5million user base at $600, before the price drop of Nov 06. Did people forget that the ps3 is beating the 360 in world wide sales. Do people for get that the reason cod4sold more on 360 is because its shooter heaven and gained mass appeal from cod2? Do people forget that Sony is jugling 3 systems at one time. So do u really think when they respond to the ndp that there not going to respond about it. Do people forget that cheap toys allways sell more than video games(wii=toy) do people forget that psp and ds are for diffrent people,ps3 And the 360 are for diffrent people than the wii. Yes the 360 has a better attach ratio than the other system but of course its going to be like that when u have the lamest geeks in the world buyng the system, who only care about games, andrefuse to leave the house. I no that may sound harsh but its true. I mean did u see the halo 3 lines on g4, there was more acne streesed kids in that line, than 20 years of strides and proactive comercials. And the only people who will get mad at me saying that are the geeks and lakes that I'm talking about. Ps3 biggest titles have not hit but there coming and 08 will be a diffent ad waaay better year for Sony and gaming. Mgs4 and insomniac will save gaming forever please quote me on that.

hahahaha. Wow. As a Gamecube only gamer last gen, I can relate with this "WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR!!!!" outlook. Trust me, you just end up saying that every year and nothing changes.

GottiDC said:
Snah?

Snah

Banned
BelligerentOC said:
If the PS2 has taught us anything, we have grossly underestimated the lifespan of a console. Ultimately, the PS2 sprung so far ahead that it effectively killed the other consoles, forcing those companies to ready their guns early. In turn, it forced Sony to upgrade. It essentially prematurely killed off the last generation.

When one looks at the cost of developing a new console, it may end up being better to wait a little bit. Sony is in the red. Microsoft might be too, and if they arent, they just dug themselves out. What financial reason do they have to force another console on us when they can sit back and let this generation carry on longer?

There isnt one console sprinting ahead to really force the other companies to the drawing board. So I think we can expect a longer generation. This means that the 3rd party companies will start looking at what their next round of projects are. To me, the wii and 360 are pretty safe bets for putting games onto. The PS3 is a sort of enigma. It seems that if a 3rd party puts the effort into making a AAA game for both the 360 and PS3, PS3 version will be fine (COD4 and AC atest to this). However, if the company doesnt have the resources to develop an upper teir game, I can see those becoming 360 exclusives.

The true wild card in all of this is if companies believe that Sony can put up a good fight. As I see it, there are 2 major bonafide system systems in the pipe line for them. That is Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo. There is a distinct possiblity that those 2 games could hit in 2009. If I'm Sony, I'm making sure that those games are coming out this year. I realize that Sony has a bunch of amazing games coming out this year (I'm probably going to get all of them) but they arent the system sellers that Halo or Mario are.

Agreed.

Though, it was important for Sony to establish blu-ray and to establish their networking features that weren't possible on the PS2. So, I can see why Sony HAD to cut short the PS2 lifespan a bit. They couldn't let Microsoft get a huge lead on the connectivity where gaming is going to be leading in the next generation. However, I don't see any huge advances in either networking or storage (HDD standard) in the future that would justify a PS4's early release. They need to ride out the PS3 for a long time.

And certainly I can see Sony and Microsoft holding true to their comments that suggest that this will be the case. I don't think we're going to see the frequency of console releases like we once saw. It's just too much of an investment these days.

Once consoles reach mainstream pricing, they should keep the consoles supported for many years after that happens. We could have had some really killer PS2 software in 08/09 if they decided to keep it active. It's still selling, and the only worthwhile game this year on the platform was God of War 2.

So, cheers to a 10 year console future.

GottiDC said:

Holy Fuckin Shit....

mood

GottiDC said:

wow :lol

harSon

Banned
GottiDC said:

:lol

GottiDC said:

Chad????

Snah said:
Agreed.

And certainly I can see Sony and Microsoft holding true to their comments that suggest that this will be the case. I don't think we're going to see the frequency of console releases like we once saw. It's just too much of an investment these days.

Once consoles reach mainstream pricing, they should keep the consoles supported for many years after that happens. We could have had some really killer PS2 software in 08/09 if they decided to keep it active. It's still selling, and the only worthwhile game this year on the platform was God of War 2.

So, cheers to a 10 year console future.

If this generation lasts anything close to 10 years i'll be running to PC gaming.

Kevtones

List of requests, any or all would be lovely:

Wii:
BWii
Fire Emblem
Ghost Squad
Manhunt II
Medal of Honor Heroes II
Ninjabreadman
Soul Caliber Legends
Trauma Center II
Zack & Wiki

DS:
Contra IV
Dementium
Master of Illusion

PS3:
Ratchet
Warhawk

360:
Kane & Lynch

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
CoD reinventing itself is a really great story. I expected great sales, but I'm shocked that it's number one on the charts for two straight months.

clashfan

GottiDC said:
Yes the 360 has a better attach ratio than the other system but of course its going to be like that when u have the lamest geeks in the world buyng the system, who only care about games, andrefuse to leave the house. I no that may sound harsh but its true. I mean did u see the halo 3 lines on g4, there was more acne streesed kids in that line, than 20 years of strides and proactive comercials...

Yeah, PS3 owners are just better then everyone else. :lol

GottiDC said:
looks like business just picked up!

jgwhiteus

TheRipDizz said:
That said, their hand was basically played at the end of November. Weekly shipment remained flat from the end of november and the whole month of December. Most still held on to the belief that December would be significantly higher. Why? I have no idea.

It's the difference between their financial report for the fiscal year and known sales, and again the lack of knowledge about just how much they were stockpiling (and when increased production started). I think Nintendo's projection for shipments between March '07 and '08 is 17.5M WW currently? So a target of 23.5M WW LTD by March '08, I think. At the end of November, it was estimated they were about 8M off their March '08 target.

I thought they'd try for 4M December (~2M US, ~1M Japan, ~1M Europe), with the remaining 4M split up over the next three months, but it seems it's closer to 3M+ in December. They might have shipped a bit more to Japan than they normally do to support the launch of Wii Fit perhaps, or maybe they couldn't afford to have shortages when SSBB launches in January/March. Who knows, probably they just didn't have the capacity available and are hoping production will cover them through the launch of SSBB.

GottiDC said:

Okay. If either MGS4 or Resistance 2 outsells COD4 in the US or Europe I'll eat my shoes.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Theoretically, it could be until like November of next year until Wii outsells the 360 in the US, possibly December or January of 2009 even.

That is, if the 360 gets a big push in March from a (possible) price drop + GTA IV and over the year, the Wii averages less than 200k more than 360/ month, which I think is most likely. The Wii, after all, only outsold the 360 by 200k or more twice in the last year.

Mgoblue201 said:
CoD reinventing itself is a really great story. I expected great sales, but I'm shocked that it's number one on the charts for two straight months.

It had excellent word of mouth. A lot of my nongaming friends would ask me about it or brag about....

GottiDC said:

lmfao, i bet you were rubbing your sony tattoo and hold your phil harrison doll while you wrote that werent you.:lol

Kevtones

GottiDC said:

awesome new word :lol

GottiDC

Banned
no matter how u won't to put it the wii is a cheap toy and that's it. Its somthing allot of kids buy to play there colorfull games like mario. Its a toy itnot a big next ten system like the ps3 and the 360 is. Nintendo knew they couldnt play that game vs them so the took another route. I hope they don't ty to act like there beating Sony and ms in this yen wit that toy because they said it them slfs before the wii was released that they wernt going vs ps3 and he xbox.

Top Bottom