• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Who Doesn't Dump Is Raising Money For A Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car Cab To Archive

HUELEN10

So, someone is doing crowdfunding to import and ship a rare Sonic arcade game so it can be dumped and archived (dumping a game means making a ROM of it; I thought more people would know what dumping and archiving games means).

http://youtu.be/57LLF1BMwDs

http://youtu.be/grOjQ4RRgW8

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/waku-waku-sonic-police-patrol-rom-and-arcade-venue

The guy seems passionate and legit enough, and this is a game that could definitely benefit from being archived, but there is one concerning thing; this guy isn't doing the dump!

So why $5,5000?
This campaign is to raise enough money to solely pay for the shipping from Toyko to the United States. It costs $4,500 to transport the machine from Toyko by freight and then onto a cargo ship. I have contributed countless hours of my own time communicating with shipping companies, brokers, middlemen services, and finding an arcade where this can be enjoyed by the public! Even if this project doesn’t reach it’s goal, any amount raised will be used recoup the massive shipping costs.
Please keep in mind, This machine is HUGE!
It’s dimensions are 6’10” x 4’10″x 6′
It also weighs 750 pounds!
The $5,5000 does not include:
-paying someone to make a ROM and write the software so it can be emulated
-mailing and insuring the JAMMA
-paying a customs broker for filing the necessary government paperwork
-the initial cost of the machine
-storing the machine a freight facility
-moving the arcade machine from the freight facility to another location. Due to the weight and dimensions of this machine, it is extremely expensive to move. Moving it 25 miles cost me $270 and that was a deal!

The fact that the cost doesn't include the actual things that would allow the game to be archived are... Yeah; remember, he is not even dumping the game himself, he's gonna have to hire someone! Also, should money run out (and since it wouldn't be part of the funds raised), there could be a danger of it being stuck at a freight facility.

Anyone have more details on this? The game should be archived, but this, as well-intentioned as it seems, seems half-baked.

TL;DR VERSION

Guy wants people to give him money so he can buy a Sonic Waku something car, but he doesn't have the money or equipment to archive the ROM himself.

I didn't understand a word of the topic title and the opening post doesn't help clarify a thing.

Also, he wrote "$5,5000" twice.

Xpliskin

Confused-GIF[1].gif

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I kind of get it as I know what Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car is, and it is one of the few and oldest Sonic things that needs to archived, but I think how the title is capitalized and the wording and the lack of explaining what the car or situation is currently is making this thread more confusing than it needs to be.

I know you mean dump the information for archiving, but how you word it makes it sound like a man who can't poop is raising money to ride Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car and be archived. XD;

I don't understand, need some splaining and dumbing down so I can understand.
Guy wants people to give him money so he can buy a Sonic Waku something car, but he doesn't have the money or equipment to archive the ROM himself.

Poor thread title with pointless capitalization though

ZeroX03

Banned
HUELEN10, people have been criticizing your awful thread titles for years and you still don't get the hint. Unnecessary Capitalization Aside, it's still confusing as hell to the layman and just a plain poor choice of words.

"Man Who Doesn't Dump Is Raising Money For A Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car Cab To Archive"

I mean come on.

I'm all for the archival of video games, but this seems a little questionable. Having a third party like IndieGoGo be a part of what could be seen as a crowdfunding of piracy doesn't seem like the brightest idea.

HUELEN10, people have been criticizing your awful thread titles for years and you still don't get the hint. Unnecessary Capitalization Aside, it's still confusing as hell to the layman and just a plan poor choice of words.

"Man Who Doesn't Dump Is Raising Money For A Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car Cab To Archive"

I mean come on.

you are asking a sonic fan to recognize years of poor quality

Griss

I can't be the only one who assumed the thread title was a mod fucking around, right? Makes no sense at all. Also thought you were referring to a constipated man.

And yes, having read this, it seems entirely half-baked.

EDIT: What's funny is that the first sentence of the OP would make a readable title.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Ignoring the thread title, what is a Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car cab?

It's actually one of the oldest Sonic games. After the success of Sonic the Hedgehog 1, even before Sonic 2 or CD, there was a 1991 arcade game made based off Sonic as a police officer.

WakuSonicOpening.png

It was one of those things you'd see in an arcade or food place, looked like this:

WakuWakuSonic.png

It's not been archived, so the point of this is to raise funds so it can be archived, as Sonic for better or worse has a pretty well archived history with this being one of the few 'holes'. But the problem is the person raising the kickstarter, the initial money 'goal' won't even work to get it properly archived, it's only one of the stretch goals.

Here's gameplay of the game: https://youtu.be/57LLF1BMwDs?t=50

Is this like one of those contests where you don't poop, and the longer you don't poop, people donate more and more money? If not, why isn't it?

ChrisD

This just shouts, "Don't do it!" Right track, wrong execution.

I also thought that the title was a mod rename at first lol. Thanks, long and confusing arcade game title.

Jebusman

Banned
I have very little faith in this. I don't doubt he could actually obtain this if he raised the right amount of money, but I'd feel a little better if it was actually a known member of the sonic community, or at least someone semi-experienced in arcade board archival.

HUELEN10

It's actually one of the oldest Sonic games. After the success of Sonic the Hedgehog 1, even before Sonic 2 or CD, there was a 1991 arcade game made based off Sonic as a police officer.

WakuSonicOpening.png

It was one of those things you'd see in an arcade or food place, looked like this:

WakuWakuSonic.png

It's not been archived, so the point of this is to raise funds so it can be archived, as Sonic for better or worse has a pretty well archived history with this being one of the few 'holes'. But the problem is the person raising the kickstarter, the initial money 'goal' won't even work to get it properly archived, it's only one of the stretch goals.

Here's gameplay of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T24sQJlvQyw
Indeed! Though I personally think the guy is legit, what is stopping a crowdfunding project like this from turning into "buy and ship this cab for me"?

Wouldn't it make more sense, and take up less money, to go to the cab, get the board, dump it, and then leave? I mean this is for archiving, not collecting, right?

I understood what's going on but maybe that's because I'm insane. Maybe it'd be better if the guy could disclose who's doing the dump and then we'd know if they're good at it or not. No idea if people are known for doing that though.

HUELEN10

As some have mentioned, he doesn't seem to be. Well-known Sonic community member, again nothing inherently wrong with that, but has anyone in the community voiced their willingness to dump this game should they ever get the chance?

Like, I don't delve too deep into Sonic Retro, but how do the Sonic Retro guys feel about this?

Jebusman

Banned
Indeed! Though I personally think the guy is legit, what is stopping a crowdfunding project like this from turning into "buy and ship this cab for me"?

Wouldn't it make more sense, and take up less money, to go to the cab, get the board, dump it, and then leave? I mean this is for archiving, not collecting, right?

He wants to collect it. I have no doubt in my mind about that.

The archiving part is more of a "bonus", and his ticket into convincing other people to donate money.

Also, I doubt most owners would let you just "borrow" the board to dump then return.

As some have mentioned, he doesn't seem to be. Well-known Sonic community member, again nothing inherently wrong with that, but has anyone in the community voiced their willingness to dump this game should they ever get the chance?

Like, I don't delve too deep into Sonic Retro, but how do the Sonic Retro guys feel about this?

Here's a topic he made soliciting money. He made another one somewhere but I haven't been on Retro in awhile so I'm still looking for it.

HUELEN10

He wants to collect it. I have no doubt in my mind about that.

The archiving part is more of a "bonus", and his ticket into convincing other people to donate money.

Also, I doubt most owners would let you just "borrow" the board to dump then return.
Couldn't the board be dumped on site with the hardware and a notebook though? No need to leave the premises, just dump away off business hours?

andymcc

Banned
this guy's description is a little creepy and he's sort of suspect.

i wouldn't give him a dime.

i'm sure there is a collector with spare change around that would do much better at archiving the game.

Jebusman

Banned
Couldn't the board be dumped on site with the hardware and a notebook though? No need to leave the premises, just dump away off business hours?

If I'm reading this correctly, to this day people still don't know what hardware is actually inside. It might not be as simple as "slap a reader on and dump away".

The only reference I can find is people believe it's running on one of these (Sega System 14 and/or Sega C-2, essentially a genesis on an arcade PCB. Naming schemes are hard.):

I don't know alot about rom dumping, but that doesn't seem like a quick and easy task that most owners would be willing to participate in.

verdures

2u51v6ym.png

Seriously though, he could probably fly a knowledgeable hardware dumper to Japan for the money he's asking. Although it seems like part of it is that he wants to find a home for it in the U.S. somewhere? I really can't imagine the cost being worth it for the amount of people that want to play a very minor piece of gaming history.

HUELEN10

If I'm reading this correctly, to this day people still don't know what hardware is actually inside. It might not be as simple as "slap a reader on and dump away".

The only reference I can find is people believe it's running on one of these (Sega System 16 and/or Sega C-2, essentially a genesis on an arcade PCB. Naming schemes are hard.):

I don't know alot about rom dumping, but that doesn't seem like a quick and easy task that most owners would be willing to participate in.
So people don't even know what type of board it's on? Wow! All the more reason to take a look at a cab and crack it open first, even just to learn more about it. That being said, if he's not dumping, and what is inside is unknown, how do we even know if anyone would be willing.

You brining this up shows me, at least gives me the impression, that the way this guy is goi about it, regardless of intentions, is completely non-viable.

Top Bottom