• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite SCP story you enjoy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Secure. Contain. Protect.

That is the slogan of Secure Containment Protection, an organization dedicated to sealing away and studying subjects that are either unusual, beneficial or just downright destructive and dangerous. Over the years, this organization has gather subjects from supposedly simple fortune cookies to a giant unkiliable reptilian creature that is constantly bathed in acid to keep it immobile. And today, we are going to discuss the subjects that intrigue, or just disgust us.

Also it's totally real and not fake at all.
of course it's fake.

So GAF, which SCP subject do you enjoy reading about the most?

I think my favorite one is the tickle monster SCP. Knowing its purpose is to just cheer people up and make them smiles it adorable! :3 Also I really like the infinite pizza box SCP, that's right infinite pizza. You just imagine what pizza you want, no matter the crust, sauce and toppings. Then you just open the box and there it is, nice and hot. Also you can take as many slices, close the box and then reopen it to find its whole once again. Best SCP ever.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
A lot of the earlier ones were great. Haven't read a new one that's hit me in the same way.

Probably my favorite one is the Bus that goes into another dimension or the endless staircase with the creature that appears when we start to break.
i havent read many but the DVR with the basketball game is one that stood out to me.
That one is great too.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I thought Stranger Things was pretty cool.

But seriously, I was always a fan of SCP-093, the one that is the stone that is attracted to mirrors.

The one with the video of a basketball game where the people in it become aware they are stuck in some kind of loop and get progressively more desperate and crazy to get out.

Meffer

DONT. PRESS. THE. RED. BUTTON.
This is the story that explains how SCP became as it is in the first place. It's hilarious.

fanboi

Banned
Can't remember the number but the insect that makes you turn into a hive (bonehive).

It wouldn't have been so good if it wasn't for the end information.

I thought Stranger Things was pretty cool.

But seriously, I was always a fan of SCP-093, the one that is the stone that is attracted to mirrors.

Yass.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-093

No records exist to clarify the nature of SCP-093's discovery or presence in the Foundation. See SCP-093-OD. Since no records exist explaining SCP-093's method of containment, a test procedure was initiated to establish why mirrors must be used to contain it. The results of SCP-093-T1 lead to the discovery of living beings holding SCP-093 being able to move through mirrors and the series of tests in SCP-093-T2 to ascertain the destination reached through this travel.

093 got me hooked on the concept.

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/da-capo-al-fine

On her (second) sixth birthday, Sigurrós Stefánsdóttir hugged her favorite stuffed pony and wished that she had ten thousand friends.

She blinked, and suddenly realized just how many people "ten thousand" really was. She wondered how she was going to find a cake big enough to feed them all.

Then she did have a cake big enough to feed all of her friends, but there were angry people outside her house trying to break down the walls and get a piece of her cake, because it was the only cake in the world and everyone else was hungry.

One of my favorite "Canon" short stories.

There are so many more, as I've read a ton of SCP stuff but I'll keep it short for now.

Meffer

I also like the box of Legos that become alive and act like whatever you build them to be. I also like what the Legos do when they see a bunch of Mega Blocks:
REDACTED
Observor: Holy shit.

Jintor

i personally always liked the weird Safe class ones like the vending machine that drops weird items in it. Euclid or whatever their apoclypse class ones usually freaked me out too much for me to really enjoy them.

Safe items could also occasionally be really fucking dark as shit, but since they presented no immediate danger to the Foundation or to the world, could be happily classified as "Safe" and tossed away somewhere and forgotten.

Leunam

Dead Sea Object
Ojai Syndrome SCP-1425
Dr. Clefs proposal SCP-001
Most of the Little Misters, particularly Mr. Liar. SCP-2284
That one living statue that has to be contained in a tunnel based on a set of boardgame rules that the scientists barely understand. SCP-1384

I have a soft spot for overtly biblical references, so 231 and 2317 are great. Also anything with a lengthy exploration log, like the beached ship with fucked up interior geometry and the mountain facility that seemingly only shoots field mice out of a cannon. EDIT: SCP-1555

And recently, the Antimemetics Division tales were pretty good. The first two more than the others but it was a fun take on a type of SCP that can be fucked up if not written well.

Also whatever tale it was that covered The Factory and the origins of The Foundation. I think Dr. Wondertainment plays in a little with that too.

I'm on my phone but I'll try and link some of these later.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I like the SCP that's essentially a stereotypical Satan-style devil/demon, but he's a total god damn idiot. Like he keeps accidentally telling the SCP staff how to strengthen their containment of him while taunting them, even though they initially had no idea what to do.

Leunam

What is this exactly? A tv show or an Site or something? Seems neat

Website where people submit 'files' based on all sorts of nutty artifacts, like the closing shot of Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's not just artifacts, could be whole buildings, derelict ships, people, creatures, doors to other dimensions, and so on.

Some of the moderator staff have their heads firmly up their asses because of their own contributions to the website with early articles, but there are some fun articles on there, even if some can be a little eye roll inducing at times.

You can't beat Big Foot.

SCP-1000, one of the few I know by number.

Also SCP-055, I'd describe it, but I don't know what it is, better to read the entry for yourself.

jph139

RONALD REAGAN CUT UP WHILE TALKING is the one that always comes to mind to me. Incredibly creepy and with that air of plausibility that all the great SCPs have.

SCP 610

610.jpg

My second favorite is this one where they find a disk. The disk contains data from an alternate universe equivelant of the SCP Foundation examining some mysterious, deadly machine that, upon hitting certain buttons, emits a mysterious type of radiation that instantly kills whomever comes in contact with it.
The machine is a human laptop.

Lucario

Ronald Reagan cut up while talking

The endless basketball game

The soup that's actually some nurturing spirit

scp-093

Some really entertaining short horror/sci-fi stories on that site.

DrArchon

The one with the play that gets people to kill each other is pretty creepy.

Also shoutouts to the joke SCP about the kittens that puff up when scared for suitably providing a number of cute kitten pictures with stuff like "SCP XXX, Codename: Mittens".

bengraven

The one where a humanoid creature is being taken by three guards into an interrogation room. It's peaceful, there are no things binding it.

Our narrator comes around the corner and sees it, panics, and the creature becomes distressed. One it's handlers grabs for a gun but the bullets in the gun explode. The narrator runs and never returns to his job.

This isn't an SCP story, though. It's a supposedly true Area 51 story.

BreakAtmo

I adore SCP-261, a vending machine found in Japan that can operate with and without external power and that, while initially responding to money insertion with normal snacks like Coke or Doritos, will start offering up really bizarre shit if used multiple times in a short period. Deadly alien snacks, items with flashy packaging in foreign languages including an extinct dialect of Tagalog, edible versions of other SCPs, an entire cow, etc. There's even examples of it dispensing bowls of freshly-dug rice when Meiji-era currency is inserted.

I adore SCP. Can never remember the numbers though, I just tend to flick through them and find a few that stick with me.

Could anyone recommend any with a sort of medieval / dark ages theme? Mythos, Cryptozoology, maybe that sort of thing. I know most SCP are set in the modern day, but any with artefacts / monsters from that era?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
"Special Containment Procedures" is the name of the organization and "Secure, Contain, Protect" is the slogan.

My pick: SCP-914, more in Experiment Log 914.

SCP-914 is a large clockwork device weighing several tons and covering an area of eighteen square meters, consisting of screw drives, belts, pulleys, gears, springs and other clockwork. It is incredibly complex, consisting of over eight million moving parts comprised mostly of tin and copper, with some wooden and cloth items observed. Observation and probing have showed no electronic assemblies or any form of power other than the “Mainspring” under the “Selection Panel”. Two large booths 3mx2.1mx2.1m (10ftx7ftx7ft) are connected via copper tubes to the main body of SCP-914, labeled “Intake” and “Output”. Between them is a copper panel with a large knob with a small arrow attached. The words Rough, Coarse, 1:1, Fine, and Very Fine are positioned at points around the knob. Below the knob is a large “key” that winds the “mainspring”.

When an object is placed in the Intake Booth, a door slides shut, and a small bell sounds. If the knob is turned to any position and the key wound up, SCP-914 will “refine” the object in the booth. No energy is lost in the process, and the object appears to be in stasis until the Output Booth door is opened. Intense observation and testing have not shown how SCP-914 accomplishes this, and no test object has ever been observed inside SCP-914 during the “refining” process. The process takes between five and ten minutes, depending on the size of the object being refined.

Input: One (1) tuna sandwich.
Setting: Very Fine
Output: One small loaf of bread baked into a very realistic shape of a tuna. When the door was opened, it immediately began "swimming" around the room and out the door. Subject presumed missing.

Jintor

I adore SCP-261, a vending machine found in Japan that can operate with and without external power and that, while initially responding to money insertion with normal snacks like Coke or Doritos, will start offering up really bizarre shit if used multiple times in a short period. Deadly alien snacks, items with flashy packaging in foreign languages including an extinct dialect of Tagalog, edible versions of other SCPs, an entire cow, etc. There's even examples of it dispensing bowls of freshly-dug rice when Meiji-era currency is inserted.

Lmao I forgot about the detonating can it vended.

Safe items, lmao

Kimawolf

Scp 1548, the hateful star. Basically radio signals were detected from a sentient star and it began heading towards earth.

It would be here in 5700 years,or so.

Man, I love being reminded about SCP and getting lost in the website. There's some stuff thats really derivative, but there are so so so many gems.

Damn I was way off. Still, great find. I remember this one because of that image.

SCP-225, an answer to the old immovable and unstoppable question.

Yeah, I remember most of the ones with images as they're just unsettling enough to stay in the back of my mind.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-096

SCP-096 is normally extremely docile, with pressure sensors inside its cell indicating it spends most of the day pacing by the eastern wall. However, when someone views SCP-096's face, whether it be directly, via video recording, or even a photograph, it will enter a stage of considerable emotional distress. SCP-096 will cover its face with its hands and begin screaming, crying, and babbling incoherently. Approximately one (1) to two (2) minutes after the first viewing, SCP-096 will begin running to the person who viewed its face (who will from this point on be referred to as SCP-096-1).

Documented speeds have varied from thirty-five (35) km/h to ███ km/h, and seems to depend on distance from SCP-096-1. At this point, no known material or method can impede SCP-096's progress. The actual position of SCP-096-1 does not seem to affect SCP-096's response; it seems to have an innate sense of SCP-096-1's location. Note: This reaction does not occur when viewing artistic depictions (see Document 096-1)

096 is another one of my faves, especially incident 096-1-A

http://www.scp-wiki.net/incident-096-1-a

“Echo Romeo-Actual was assigned to immediate containment breach. When we realized just how big a breach we were dealing with, we were completely overwhelmed. Funny, how even the best and brightest minds in the world can be so unprepared.”

“So you are saying it is your own fault?”

“Absolutely not. This was a new discovery in SCP-096’s behavior. We had no way to know, and we are lucky it did not turn into an XK.”

Leunam

Yeah, I remember most of the ones with images as they're just unsettling enough to stay in the back of my mind.

Yeah there's one I'm struggling to find but the picture was of a man sitting on a bench watching a nuclear explosion. He would visit people in their dreams and I think was a warning for an impending apocalypse.

I like this old foundation tale: Document Recovered From the Marianas Trench.

And this here is what would be used if the world suffered an XK/CK-Class End of the World Scenario, or was about to. XK is basically the apocalypse, CK is straight up reality failure. SCP-2000

Senoculum

The toaster one.

The underground water facility with the thing that always regenerates.

The huge ass blip in the Pacific... and ensuring it stays in a deep slumber.

Mirrors.

Yeah there's one I'm struggling to find but the picture was of a man sitting on a bench watching a nuclear explosion. He would visit people in their dreams and I think was a warning for an impending apocalypse.

I like this old foundation tale: Document Recovered From the Marianas Trench.

And this here is what would be used if the world suffered an XK/CK-Class End of the World Scenario, or was about to. XK is basically the apocalypse, CK is straight up reality failure. SCP-2000

SCP has been around long enough that Google searches are highly effective if you know what to look for.

You're looking for: http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-990

The world ending / rebuilding entries are always interesting to read, especially since SCP-2000 ties in to SCP-1422: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1422

The idea that this isn't the first SCP or the last, and that there are multiple XK/CK protection measures that have been made and maintained by other "instances" of the SCP is a great part of the Canon.

Leunam

Yep, that's the one. Forgot it was Keter class.

Here's another one with a long exploration log: SCP-2935. Not amazing or anything, but exploration logs are great. Sometimes these MTF teams seem almost as expendable as D-Class.

SCP-1165 also has a good exploration log. Those poor bastards in the helicopter. :(

Matty77

The 3-D glasses.

And I both love and hate SCP. I will binge for a day or two before dropping it for a month or longer, though I always remember where I am at.

My problem is I love the ideas and concepts, like really love. But the format is fucking atrocious reading like a Monster Manual. Half the time I am looking for armor class and thac0.

Yep, that's the one. Forgot it was Keter class.

Here's another one with a long exploration log: SCP-2935. Not amazing or anything, but exploration logs are great. Sometimes these MTF teams seem almost as expendable as D-Class.

I prefer the stories that build upon their lore via exploration logs - it feels more "real" as if the SCP was logging experiments, etc.

Notable examples of this are: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-085

Description: SCP-085 is the result of an experiment conducted between SCP-067 and SCP-914. Using SCP-067, Test Subject-1101F drew a single female figure, about 15 cm (6 in) in height and 3.8 cm (1.5 in) wide, in summer dress with long hair pulled back into a pony tail, with the name "Cassandra" written underneath. Dr. [EXPUNGED] proposed using SCP-914 on various settings on images created by SCP-067: Using the [Fine] setting, the 'Cassandra' sketch was transmuted into her present form: a sentient black-and white-animated young woman drawn in clean strokes. Further attempts to duplicate this result have been unsuccessful.

and: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-294

Addendum [SCP-294ah]: A D-class personnel with IQ of 99 and low curiosity scores was given written instructions about what to request. The D-class personnel produced a request for 'blood of canis lupus' and received a cup of liquid subsequently identified as wolf blood. The D-class personnel next produced a request for 'saliva of equus ferus caballus' and received a cup of liquid subsequently identified as horse saliva. The D-class personnel next produced a request for "urine of phascolarctos cinereus' and received a cup of liquid subsequently identified as koala urine. The D-class personnel next produced a request for "cerebrospinal fluid of phoberomys pattersoni" and received a cup of liquid currently undergoing analysis. It is to be noted that Phoberomys pattersoni went extinct during the late Miocene epoch, approximately 8 million years ago.

Speaking of D-Class, their orientation is a fun read as well:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/d-class-orientation

Every year or so I'm reminded of SCP and make a dig into the archives to refresh my memory and go over the canon again. A lot of stuff (most of the sentient / maleficent object entries) can be a bit of a miss, but there's tons of well written entries and even more short stories that add to the canon and on their own would be solid reading.

BreakAtmo

Another awesome one is http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-895
, an oak coffin that appears empty to all present observers, but causes distortions and hallucinatory imagery in any recordings of it or its surroundings. People in its presence remain fine, people watching recordings of it, well...

Addendum 895-01: Audio excerpt from the SCP-895 Recovery Log (██/█/██)

03:41L - Command: Team One, Command. All civilians have been detained and evacuated. You are cleared to move in and capture.
03:41L - T1Lead: Command, One Lead. Roger, we are moving in.
03:43L - T1Lead: We are inside the lobby. Video feed check.
03:44L - Command: Team One, Command. We are receiving…[pause]…we are seeing blood on the walls, please confirm.
03:44L - T1Lead: Negative, Command, it's clean in here. Nothing out of the ordinary.
03:45L - Command: … it's gone. Team One, advise possible memetic properties in effect.
03:45L - T1Lead: Copy, Command. Team One moving into storage area.
03:47L - T1Lead: We are in the storage area, object located.
03:48L - Command: Christ, it's moving… Team One, confirm, object appears to be alive and moving.
03:48L - T1Lead: … Command, negative, we see no movement. Object appears to be normal.
03:48L - T1Lead: Two, open it up.
03:48L - Sounds of weapons being readied, followed by creaking as object is opened.
03:49L - T1-2: Sir, it's empty.
03:50L - T1Lead: Command, One Lead. The object appears to be empty.
03:51L - T1Lead: Command, do you copy?
03:51L - Command: Sounds of screaming and retching.
03:51L - T1Lead: Command, do you copy?!
03:52L - T1Lead: Shit, we're bugging out. Close that thing!

Jintor

One of the other things is the writing style is really heavily "twist" based in that the typical enter likes to describe containment measures, recovery history and other cruft around an artifact before finally actually saying what the damn thing does. Occasionally it doesn't even say that and you just need to figure it out yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom