• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite SCP story you enjoy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SCP-294

An ordinary coffee machine with a keyboard attachment that is able to dispense anything as long as it is a liquid. Someone once put in the request for 'a cup of joe' and got exactly what they asked for.

SCP-140 is so good. A book describing the history of an ancient, horrendously bloodthirsty civilization that keeps getting longer any time it comes in contact with fluids.

Matty77

I prefer the stories that build upon their lore via exploration logs - it feels more "real" as if the SCP was logging experiments, etc.

Notable examples of this are: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-085

and: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-294

Speaking of D-Class, their orientation is a fun read as well:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/d-class-orientation

Every year or so I'm reminded of SCP and make a dig into the archives to refresh my memory and go over the canon again. A lot of stuff (most of the sentient / maleficent object entries) can be a bit of a miss, but there's tons of well written entries and even more short stories that add to the canon and on their own would be solid reading.
Yup, that's the part that makes it worth coming back. Also why 3-D glasses is so awesome, not the regular stuff but all the experiments with the D-Classers that eventually leads to massive casualties and a halt on all further testing.

Leunam

I haven't read too many of them, but I really liked the neverending staircase going down.

Might be SCP-087.

Every year or so I'm reminded of SCP and make a dig into the archives to refresh my memory and go over the canon again. A lot of stuff (most of the sentient / maleficent object entries) can be a bit of a miss, but there's tons of well written entries and even more short stories that add to the canon and on their own would be solid reading.

If you haven't read it, you might enjoy the anti-memetics series of tales.

One of the other things is the writing style is really heavily "twist" based in that the typical enter likes to describe containment measures, recovery history and other cruft around an artifact before finally actually saying what the damn thing does. Occasionally it doesn't even say that and you just need to figure it out yourself.

Oh man, here's one that fits exactly what you're talking about: SCP-1718. Lots of techno babble meant to describe the most secure containment structure possible for an SCP. Unfortunately, the container itself and the energy contained within has gotten out of hand, and it is now it's own SCP housing a high yield explosive.

If you haven't read it, you might enjoy the anti-memetics series of tales.

Neat, I haven't read these yet. Guess it's that time of year again!

As for the writing style, remember there's some guidelines for Canon and such, but the SCP is a group effort written by many "staff" members.

I like that some of the more well known writers have their own SCP entries. It gets pretty meta.

I distinctly remember the 2pac record one, though I don't remember the number. And one supremely fucked up one titled 'Procreation'.

093 and 096 are very good. Another I liked is one with nested articles that reveal more and more about the containment ritual and aspects of a world ending entity until the very last article
which reveals that the ritual is bogus and they have no real way of containing it. The secrecy exists to keep the foundation morale up.

Kas

The one with the weird donut things was great. With the mirror and the giant, faceless things that just absorbed people.

It was the right mix of detailed enough, weird enough, and just creepy.

Fou-Lu

093 and 096 are very good. Another I liked is one with nested articles that reveal more and more about the containment ritual and aspects of a world ending entity until the very last article
which reveals that the ritual is bogus and they have no real way of containing it. The secrecy exists to keep the foundation morale up.

This one sounds fun. Do you remember the number?

Brakke

Banned
The endless potato bag, and the crew that went in and explored the endless dimension of potatoes.

Oh man that sounds great. There are a few crews that explore endless dimensions, I like those. For one there's a device that creates labyrinths around itself if left in room, that's created a sprawling metropolis nested in Kowloon Walled City. There's another one based in a shipwreck.

I totally forget the numbers but I like those. The basketball tape already posted is an all-time classic. I like some of the ones with ridiculously complex containment proceeds, like Procedure 110-Montauk or whatever it was called to keep the seventh seal from breaking.

I distinctly remember the 2pac record one, though I don't remember the number. And one supremely fucked up one titled 'Procreation'.

You're referencing 2317 and 2610. 2610 / Procreation is up there with SCP-231 in terms of unsettling body horror / the dark side of the Foundation.

The one with the weird donut things was great. With the mirror and the giant, faceless things that just absorbed people.

It was the right mix of detailed enough, weird enough, and just creepy.

SCP-093. One of the GOAT.

The endless potato bag, and the crew that went in and explored the endless dimension of potatoes.

SCP-1689 has some great exploration logs.

Oh man that sounds great. There are a few crews that explore endless dimensions, I like those. For one there's a device that creates labyrinths around itself if left in room, that's created a sprawling metropolis nested in Kowloon Walled City. There's another one based in a shipwreck.

I totally forget the numbers but I like those. The basketball tape already posted is an all-time classic. I like some of the ones with ridiculously complex containment proceeds, like Procedure 110-Montauk or whatever it was called to keep the seventh seal from breaking.

SCP-184: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-184

When inside an enclosed structure, SCP-184 expands the structure's inner dimensions without altering its outer dimensions. SCP-184 will increase the inner dimensions of any enclosed structure by several hundred meters each day, beginning one hour after entry into the structure. Initially, SCP-184 only extends the walls out, causing rooms to become much larger without adjusting the height of the room. This expansion continues until the original dimensions of the room have been tripled.

At this point, SCP-184 starts creating wholly new rooms.

The logs really make this one special.

Montauk is part of SCP-231. I don't often like posting quotes from that one.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I forget the number but the SCP where the foundation leaders bring back one of the old OS's after he had died and he reveals what happens after death and its both incredibly mundane but horrifying on a whole new scale.

Alavard

SCP-294

An ordinary coffee machine with a keyboard attachment that is able to dispense anything as long as it is a liquid. Someone once put in the request for 'a cup of joe' and got exactly what they asked for.

That one is amazing. I especially like the cup of 'surprise me'.

Brakke

Banned
I forget the number but the SCP where the foundation leaders bring back one of the old OS's after he had died and he reveals what happens after death and its both incredibly mundane but horrifying on a whole new scale.

I think that's one of the 001 proposals. Classic. That one requires some general familiarity with the Foundation canon first though, to appreciate O-5 and that Old Man SCP, which plays a big role.

EDIT: Ahh I was wrong the number but someone got it. Turns out there are some new 001s since last I checked, though, so I got some reading to do.

HStallion

Yeah that's the one. Its also a pretty cool twist/gimmick on the SCP numbering mechanic as the nature of death is so terrible that even the OS's don't want the lesser personal knowing it. One was able to escape before the OS's themselves wiped their memories and inputted it into the system and hid it behind a random numbering generator so that you are supposed to stumble upon it by "accident".

Yeah that's the one. Its also a pretty cool twist/gimmick on the SCP numbering mechanic as the nature of death is so terrible that even the OS's don't want the lesser personal knowing it. One was able to escape before the OS's themselves wiped their memories and inputted it into the system and hid it behind a random numbering generator so that you are supposed to stumble upon it by "accident".

On a similar note, I love anything to do with Doctor Clef:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/a-suicide-note

The third one I could interact with was… was Sigurrós. 239, as you know her. That whole shitstorm with her… it was because I was scared. I could actually feel her in my mind. And I was terrified. I had to kill her because, if she could get into my mind, she could do anything. I couldn't let that power go unchecked. The whole Telekill Sword thing was bull. In my hands, a sharp stick could have killed her.

Which comes back to Da Capo Al Fine, one of my favorite Canon stories. The world-building and references between SCP entries is really what makes it for me.

I can't remember if Clef is the one who keeps resurrecting though, or if that's another SCP director / member.

HStallion

All the attempts to kill a certain unkillable giant lizard are great as well. I think the only time something ever worked against it was the blob that cuddles you and makes you totally happy and content. I believe the only issue is it started wagging its tail because it was so happy it actually breached security.

All the attempts to kill a certain unkillable giant lizard are great as well. I think the only time something ever worked against it was the blob that cuddles you and makes you totally happy and content. I believe the only issue is it started wagging its tail because it was so happy it actually breached security.

This was going to be my pick, and the "cup of Joe" one.

There was also a thing that wasn't actually an SCP per se but it was this really funny rant about how people have all these misconceptions about Titanium.

nitewulf

The Shy Guy is my favorite, along with the Indesrtuctible Alien Creature

SCP-096 is normally extremely docile, with pressure sensors inside its cell indicating it spends most of the day pacing by the eastern wall. However, when someone views SCP-096's face, whether it be directly, via video recording, or even a photograph, it will enter a stage of considerable emotional distress. SCP-096 will cover its face with its hands and begin screaming, crying, and babbling incoherently. Approximately one (1) to two (2) minutes after the first viewing, SCP-096 will begin running to the person who viewed its face (who will from this point on be referred to as SCP-096-1).

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-096

Leunam

This was going to be my pick, and the "cup of Joe" one.

There was also a thing that wasn't actually an SCP per se but it was this really funny rant about how people have all these misconceptions about Titanium.

I saw something like that in a comment thread. Lots of these scips can be contained in a well build concrete structure, Titanium really isn't as good in that regard.

sphagnum

Banned
SCP-231, because it's the only one that ever really bothered me. Also never noticed before a cool thing which I just discovered now, that if you copy/paste it, it reveals little hidden messages (which I've bolded).

Personnel assigned to SCP-231-7 must undergo heavy psychological testing before being cleared to enter the site. Individuals must score at least 72 points on the Milgram Obedience Examination, be unmarried, have no offspring, and express nothing less than total loyalty to the Foundation. Normal psychological screening procedures against Axis II disorders are waived, so long as the Class-D personnel in question has the mental capacity to carry out Procedure 110-Montauk as needed.
Luke 23:34.

Personnel who express sympathy towards SCP-231-7's plight and/or express a desire to rescue or sympathize towards SCP-231-7 will be transferred to another project without delay. Any actual rescue attempts will be met with immediate termination. Personnel who have served on the staff of SCP-231-7's Containment Team are not required to divulge that information to others. No official record shall be kept of the names of any staff assigned to SCP-231-7, nor will said service appear in the personnel files of said staff.

they gather round with leering smiles, the soulless and the dead. though her soul unwinds, the cruelest minds will keep her in her bed.

[DATA EXPUNGED PER ORDER OF O5-██ ON ██-██-████. INFORMATION MOVED TO EYES-ONLY DOCUMENT 231-110-MONTAUK. ACCESS TO 231-110-MONTAUK IS LIMITED TO PERSONNEL WITH SECURITY CLEARANCE 4/231]

Description: SCP-231-7 is a █████ female between █ and ██ years of age, with [DATA EXPUNGED]. the King is in his courting clothes, the brides are in their beds. the unborn princes wait in sleep to raise their eager heads.
SCP-231-1 through 7 were retrieved from ██████████, ██, following a police raid on a warehouse owned by an organization called the Children of the Scarlet King (see article on ██-██-████ in the ████████████ ██████ newspaper, "Police Raid Satanic Sex Cult, Save Seven"). 24 hours after the rescue, SCP-231-1 (real name ████████████ ████████████) went into labor pains, giving birth three minutes later to SCP-██ (█████████ ██████████), causing a ██████████ event resulting in over ███ confirmed casualties. Foundation Personnel immediately took possession of remaining SCPs 231-2 through 231-7 and, based on notebooks recovered from the cult, instituted Procedure 110-Montauk to prevent future occurrences. the hens were in the henhouse and seven eggs did lay, till the fox crept in by dark of night and stole the eggs away.

I saw something like that in a comment thread. Lots of these scips can be contained in a well build concrete structure, Titanium really isn't as good in that regard.

That's up there with the SCP that's a bottle of miracle drugs that people abuse for hangovers:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-500

Currently stuck in meetings today.

Reading through the Anti-Memetics stories.

Amazing writing.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/introductory-antimemetics

Is my new favorite SCP short story, I feel.

SCP-231, because it's the only one that ever really bothered me. Also never noticed before a cool thing which I just discovered now, that if you copy/paste it, it reveals little hidden messages (which I've bolded).

Yeah if you set your font to 0 you could read it as well, which was a neat easter egg earlier.

But SCP-231 is the Berserk of SCP entries. Super dark and unsettling, but intriguing all the same.

HStallion

Some of the silly or joke SCPs are great as well. I enjoyed the Eye Pods and how they were used to contain SCP 073 whenever the Foundation needed to get near it and didn't want to have someone staring at it.

That's my favorite. It would make an awesome video game actually.

Sadly the only real game based off SCP is the one involving SCP-173, which is a great entry but the game was a bit lackluster.

If we got an Eternal Darkness / Silent Hill style series of games based off SCP entries, that would be amazing.

Leunam

Some of the silly or joke SCPs are great as well. I enjoyed the Eye Pods and how they were used to contain SCP 073 whenever the Foundation needed to get near it and didn't want to have someone staring at it.

SCP-504, tomatoes that launch themselves at people telling jokes.

Item: One mature SCP-504 tomato
Subject: D-504-1
Spoken: "Is a hippopotamus a hippopotamus or just a really cool opotamous?"
Result: No change in velocity.

Item: One mature SCP-504 tomato
Subject: D-504-1
Spoken: "What's an archeologist? Someone whose career is in ruins."
Result: Tomato clocked at 124 mph. Subject suffered a broken nose.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Haha yeah, the comedy tomatoes are great.

Brakke

Banned
Which comes back to Da Capo Al Fine, one of my favorite Canon stories. The world-building and references between SCP entries is really what makes it for me.

Sometimes SCP walks an uneasy balance between original stories, creative reinterpretations of folklore, and straight up representations of folklore.

That Da Capo Al Fine story is cute, but it's pretty much a straight rip of a 1956 Asimov story: http://multivax.com/last_question.html. There's a million-monkeys problem, too. Sometimes I don't know if something is supposed to be an explicit reference to [A Star Trek Episode Or Whatever] or if the SCP and story I know are both reinterpreting the same antecedent, or if the similarity is a wild coincidence.

Leunam

So eventually someone asks if it's possible to use these scips for the benefit of mankind. Fortunately there's an article that covers just that:

Visions of a Better World

Virtual Reality. It's never been an actual reality, sadly. Imagine, everything could be perfect there! Why make life perfect when we can just convince everyone that it's perfect? We know how well actually trying works…

SCP-826 could do that for us. Hundreds of Foundation authors collaborated to come up with perfection. No more space requirements, no more war, and constant euphoria. It was how life ought to be, really. It was a perfect idea.

After a few months of work, we figured out how to take multiple people across, and Dr. Gligoric got promoted for figuring out how to make everyone arrive in sync. By then, nothing held the plan up. We issued number IDs determining when your turn to go across, and soon enough, as many as two hundred people went through per day, set on establishing a new life in the perfect fictional realm, then a thousand…then five… we kept improving the transport process. And it was wonderful.

At first. Heck, the first eight iterations were.

See, we knew when the plot ended, people that stayed in became a part of the universe in the next iterations, complete with a new memory. We even welcomed it as it made it harder for anyone that went in to abuse the setting Groundhog Day-style.

What we didn't foresee due to the small testing scale was that the thing put the people it naturalized into roles they best fit within the continuity, even if it meant altering the setting .

It wasn't obvious at first - thing is, our
world doesn't do that, so most of those going across ended up doing something else over there. But by three iterations since the first researcher's number came up, the story included a bad skip outbreak. As about a tenth of the population has made the move by then, we responded by sending a few MTFs across to contain it.

The next plot iteration included the RSN Society (Retrieve, Store, Neutralize.) , and unfortunately, they didn't take extrareality incursions any better than we'd have - the next time we sent a bunch of agents through to check if the world is still worth migrating into, they didn't return and neither did SCP-826. Wasn't the end of it, either - apparently they have figured out how to send their skips across to us as a foolproof means of containment.

By this day, we have secured thirty five instances of SCP-231 of differing age and health.

Well, that was the summary of the expected results in a worst case scenario. That doc is crazy for thinking of this situation, but at least the O5 listened. They're gonna destroy the report now. Hopefully no one would be dumb enough to cross test the two, each on their own is bad enough.

So, anyways, a few months ago some rogue researcher used SCP-614 to download Scientific American .zip files from 50 years in the future because he wanted to write some papers and get a promotion. We expected him to be fired, or the files get deleted, maybe even terminated for misuse of an SCP; instead, the O5 promoted him for thinking of such a simple way to improve the Foundation without any side effects. We started downloading textbooks and reports from various fields of science. All these unanswered question: reports on the Schwarzschild wormholes, the inner workings of strong and weak interactions, how circular dichroism affects protein folds, the solution to all 23 Hilbert's problems……

The Foundation, using the new knowledge, increased the stability of the containment procedures, understood several previously unsolved phenomenon, and started eliminating the dangers from the world. From those reports the Safes were able to be replicated without side effects, the Euclids were now understood, and even the Keters can be safely locked away. There's nothing that cannot be understood anymore. Humanity was safe, for once.

The Foundation has finally done what they wanted to do after all the years it has been through.

With all the advancements being made, we opened 614 up for public usage- after all, the more people who look at something, the more likely someone is to understand it, right?. At first, use was very heavily monitored, and a team of Foundation experts analyzed every bit of data coming through. But over time, nothing dangerous happened, and the task force got downsized again and again. Eventually, it was nothing more than a dozen people flipping through titles.

The book seemed so innocent. It was all colorful and looked like a children's book, so the agent on duty approved it without a second thought.

And that was when millions of people received a copy of Dr. Wondertainment's Big Book of Infohazards.

Yeah, my favorites have always been the outright joke SCP's or just outright weird stuff. Exploration logs are always great too.

I stopped reading these a few years back when the community became too full of themselves and downvoted everything that wasn't overcomplicated technobabble or grimdark as being "just a thing without a hook" and "too lolfoundation".

nitewulf

Ah yes, the indestructible alien lizard thing:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-682

So good. Specifically when 096 is introduced to 682 in order to terminate it:

Item: SCP-096

Tissue Test Record:
N/A

Termination Test Record:
Containment tank containing SCP-096 was placed in SCP-682's cell. Personnel vacated vicinity and the tank was opened remotely.

Screams of the two entities continue for twenty-seven (27) hours, at which point the noise abruptly stops. Sonar-based video feeds reveal SCP-096 severely "wounded" and huddled in the southwest corner, apparently upset. Feed shows SCP-682 on the north end of the room, approximately 85% of its initial mass absent. Re-containment teams retrieve both entities with relative ease.

Further attempts to expose SCP-096 to SCP-682 cause it to turn away from 682, jumping in place while clawing at its face and screaming.

Sometimes SCP walks an uneasy balance between original stories, creative reinterpretations of folklore, and straight up representations of folklore.

That Da Capo Al Fine story is cute, but it's pretty much a straight rip of a 1956 Asimov story: http://multivax.com/last_question.html. There's a million-monkeys problem, too. Sometimes I don't know if something is supposed to be an explicit reference to [A Star Trek Episode Or Whatever] or if the SCP and story I know are both reinterpreting the same antecedent, or if the similarity is a wild coincidence.

Yeah, I always want to err on the side of it's just a coincidence, but at the same time I know when there's parallels between one story and another it's most likely a result of them subconsciously remembering or consciously adapting portions of a story to add some depth to their entries / stories.

I love the Last Question though, so it makes sense.

One of the better SCP 001 designations is the idea of using Keter class SCP's to counteract one another.

Yeah, the stories / ideas / procedures involving using other SCPs to contain / combat other SCPs is great too. It can backfire though. Someone should make a Suicide Squad movie based off that team of Keter / Euclid class SCP task force..

WGMBY

Definitely SCP-1981, "Regan cut up while talking". Always managed to get under my skin, even if it ends hamfistedly.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

indask8

Can't find a favorite SCP that hasn't already been mentioned here

The basketball VHS, SCP 93 (and many other scp) deserve a movie.

Every so often I play a game with the site where I put the entries in a random number generator and get a number, and the SCP associated with that number is the one I've been assigned to research. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes it's this horrific monster, it's a fun way to go through the entries.

Mahonay

Banned
Oh god this thread. I used to binge on SCP years ago when it was still pretty new. So good.

Thanks you dicks. I've already wasted hours today reading more stories.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

WHAT

Basketball and Ronald Reagan? My favorites got robbed.

1733 is totally a mashup of 176 and 315, and 583 is way creepier than 1981. You don't need to go over-the-top and Satanic with the "scary video" - just something impossible that resists explanation.

Regiruler

There's something very eerie about 1348. It's a jewish shrine where it's necessary to keep performing a ritual as atonement to god.

My favorite is the one about the star cluster that is pissed about being observed by astronomers.

And the one about the world-resetting machine.

On mobile, but both are great to look up.

My favorite is the one about the star cluster that is pissed about being observed by astronomers.

And the one about the world-resetting machine.

On mobile, but both are great to look up.

SCP-1171: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1171

SCP-1171-1 is apparently an inhabitant of another world, calling itself Beauremont. It claims not to be human, and is actively hostile to humanity. It believes Dr. ██████ to be an entity similar to itself. Please see Interview Logs SCP-1171-1-3 to SCP-1171-1-14.

Is also a fun read. Basically a racist house.

For more fun, Visions of a Better World: http://www.scp-wiki.net/visionsofabetterworld

Is a good set of stories that has been previously mentioned that describes previous XK / CK events caused by well meaning projects.

Although some of the entries in that story are pretty rough around the edges and the constant shift in writing styles can be jarring, it's a neat way to immerse yourself in cross-references between skips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom