• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret Sequels to video games

FloatOn

I watched a movie recently that turned out to be a secret sequel to another movie. It wasn't advertised as a sequel and I had no idea that this was a thing. It was pretty effective and in retrospect it made me view the movie in a different light.

I was wondering if this has ever happened in a video game.

The closest thing I can think of off the top of my head is the twist at the end of Bioshock Infinite that
connects Infinite to the original Bioshock.

Matty77

Are you on the wrong side friend? This is off topic. If you're talking about the movie I think you are though yes that is awesome.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Drakengard and Nier would be one technically.

Also Dark Sector and Warframe.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I watched a movie recently that turned out to be a secret sequel to another movie. It wasn't advertised as a sequel and I had no idea that this was a thing. It was pretty effective and in retrospect it made me view the movie in a different light.

I was wondering if this has ever happened in a video game.

The closest thing I can think of off the top of my head is the twist at the end of Bioshock Infinite that
connects Infinite to the original Bioshock.

So you've basically gone and confirmed something many people wanted to be secret.

Out of curiosity, which movie are you referring to?

......SPLIT........
probably

Kirkbangles

Neo Member
Was the movie
Split?
Cool connection.

Back to topic...secret sequel in games....hmmm....Devil Summoner series featured
dante
...is that qualifying?

Shadow Hearts 1 turns out to be a sequel to Koudelka towards the end of the game with the revelation that Koudelka was the voice that drove the protagonist, Yuri, to get involved in the game's main plot. Though there are hints before that like Roger Bacon coming back.

Out of curiosity, which movie are you referring to?
Probably
Split, which has Bruce Willis' character from Unbreakable appear at the end.

Bayonneta 2:

The game is both a sequel and prequel to Bayonetta 1, the ending ties into the first game beginning. Time travel!!

Molemitts

Not exactly a plot twist or anything, but Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian are all heavily implied to be set in the same world and appear to make subtle references to each other.

mclem

Glittermitten Grove is the most obvious example.

I haven't got around to playing it yet, but I thought GG was a functional game in itself, with
Frog Fractions 2
buried as an offshoot, rather than being 'part of it'?

Schlomo

Silent Hill - Shattered Memories

It was advertised as a remake of the first game, but it's really a sequel.

Not exactly a plot twist or anything, but Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian are all heavily implied to be set in the same world and appear to make subtle references to each other.
To add onto that Ico is a distant sequel to SotC. Don't know where TLG fits in because I haven't played it yet.

Wow. I had no idea about this. IMO this takes the cake as an official "secret sequel."
SM is an AU, not a sequel. SM has stuff that contradicts things set up in the beginning of SH1. Like Mrs. Mason in SH1 is her own character and not
Dahlia like she is in SM.
SM just works off the main idea of the worst ending in SH1 and does its own thing taking its own spin on the superdad Harry Mason was in SH1.

Ladekabel

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it implied that GladOS is responsible for the zombie outbreak in Left 4 Dead? I remember reading an article about that but that could've been tales from the ass.

The Last of Us is secretly set in the future of the Uncharted series

Yep, Fireflies have been around a long time.
uncharted-4-last-of-us-easter-egg-pendant-front.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it implied that GladOS is responsible for the zombie outbreak in Left 4 Dead? I remember reading an article about that but that could've been tales from the ass.
No, L4D is its own universe. Half-Life and Portal shared the same world for a while. (i.e. The Borealis in Half-Life 2, GLADOS mentioning Black Mesa in Still Alive) but it looks like Valve retconned that with Portal 2.

Golnei

Vagrant Story is (was?) a sequel to FFTactics IIRC. They might have retconned that later.

It might be the other way around - Vagrant Story has plenty of FFT references, but it was only acknowledged as taking place in Ivalice after FFXII came out. I think Matsuno has also stated he intended it to be a different world?

Tales of Symphonia in some sort of way

Prequel to tales of Phantasia, there was no way to know it unless you really investigated about the universe or played phantasia in the snes

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
No, L4D is its own universe. Half-Life and Portal shared the same world for a while. (i.e. The Borealis in Half-Life 2, GLADOS mentioning Black Mesa in Still Alive) but it looks like Valve retconned that with Portal 2.

I think they're still linked.

Wasn't there a theory about Watch Dogs somehow being connected to Assassin's Creed?
Black Flag has a real world file mentioning an Abstergo agent getting killed by someone, most likely Aiden, while they were visiting Chicago, so they might have been planning on having the evil security corp in WatchDogs to be Templars. Ubi seems to moved away from that idea though.

They're still in the same universe. There's references to Black Mesa in Portal 2, even the resonance cascade is mentioned specifically by name, in the stage builder DLC.

Bluth54

Half Life and Portal are still in the same universe, during Gabe Newell's recent AMA he confirmed they could make new games in that shared universe.

Top Bottom