• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret Sequels to video games

Not sure if this fully applies but it's heavily implied that Devil May Cry and Bayonetta exist in the same universe.
To be specific, its hinted in one of the item descriptions that Vergil and Dante's mom was an Umbra Witch. Also I think Kamiya said that the Enzo in the DMC expanded material and Bayonetta are the same character.

jax

Banned
The closest thing I can think of off the top of my head is the twist at the end of Bioshock Infinite that
connects Infinite to the original Bioshock.

Man that was so half assed.

"man how are we going to connect this game to the other one?"

"uhh ... docks and lighthouses"

"oh SHIT there was a lighthouse in the first one huh?"

"yep"

"should there be any other connection?"

"fuck no"

"why is it called bioshock then?"

"fuck you"

Sephzilla

To be specific, its hinted in one of the item descriptions that Vergil and Dante's mom was an Umbra Witch. Also I think Kamiya said that the Enzo in the DMC expanded material and Bayonetta are the same character.

Tony Redgrave is name dropped in Bayonetta as well - which is Dante's traveling name. IIRC it's also implied that the bar Rodin runs is the same bar Dante frequents in the DMC expanded universe novel (the same one that introduces Enzo)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Tekken and Soul Calibur are in the same universe, with some stages shared between games, only set at different periods of time.

butalala

Man that was so half assed.

"man how are we going to connect this game to the other one?"

"uhh ... docks and lighthouses"

"oh SHIT there was a lighthouse in the first one huh?"

"yep"

"should there be any other connection?"

"fuck no"

"why is it called bioshock then?"

"fuck you"

Nah, this was a neat moment.
Infinite in the title refers to the infinite universes that the girl has access to as a part of her power, which is also the source of the Comstock/Booker conflict. At that point in the the game, you're on the run and jumping from universe to universe and land in Rapture for a while. It's a cameo. It was enough. It was good.

jax

Banned
Nah, this was a neat moment.
Infinite in the title refers to the infinite universes that the girl has access to as a part of her power, which is also the source of the Comstock/Booker conflict. At that point in the the game, you're on the run and jumping from universe to universe and land in Rapture for a while. It's a cameo. It was enough. It was good.
Seemed forced and shitty to me, as a huge Bioshock fan I was disappointed there weren't more connections to Rapture. Neither 2 or Infinite came anywhere close to the original for me. The lack of connections between them was insulting.

Fake edit: I don't care about the further phoned in DLC either.

Real edit: the
twist also seemed forced in and wasn't explained very well. Gameplay wise it was fun, but the story was pretty convuluted.
like they rushed it, when they took their time with the first one.

Again I built a new PC just for infinite and wanted it to be the best. More disappointed than anything.

jax

Banned
Infinite should have been called something else. System Shock > Bioshock > Aeroshock. At least then the marginal connections to the first game wouldn't be so annoying.

But that's not how you sell software, despite the little sense the name made.

Knuckles'_Chaotix_Coverart.png

As far as secret sequels, Knuckles Chaotix is fantastic for any 2D Sonic fan.

AniHawk

virtue's last reward connects waaaaay more to 999 than it initially lets on. i guess the rebranding as the zero escape series kinda does that anyway though.

Schlomo

But... It really isn't. It's a reimagining of the first game.

I thought it could be interpreted as
framing the events of the first game as Harry's "dead man's dream" after the accident, but I don't remember the details very well, so you could be right. It was still a very surprising twist after the rest of the game makes you think the story will basically follow the first game.

mclem

Human Killing Machine is the forgotten sequel to the original Street Fighter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqDg42hfzgc

Now, that's an awkward one. The home computer versions of Street Fighter were reasonably successful, and there was demand for a sequel, but Street Fighter 2 didn't actually exist, so HKM is what was spawned as a result - a sequel to the home computer versions of Street Fighter, but nothing to do with Capcom and with no ties to the Street Fighter storyline (such that it was back then!)

(Also, even more racially questionable than SF was. Includes a fight against a bikini-clad prostitute in the Netherlands, and final bosses of Arabic terrorists from Labanon)

It's probably best thought of as the Snake's Revenge (from the Metal Gear series) equivalent.

Okami secretly crams in Okami 2 and Okami 3 in the middle of the game.

Lmfaooooo!

On topic, its debateable El Shaddai is a secret sequel to DMC1...the character designer of Dante in that game designed the main char. of El Shaddai, and directed it too...and the combat is reminiscient of DMC1 with timed combos and a dialed-back combo system

SOME-MIST

Ibara in a sense is battle garegga 2. Supposedly yagawa was asked by cave to recreate battle garegga and the similarities are very apparent.

Fisty

Now I want to see a sequel to The Happening where Bruce Willis constantly tries to kill himself, unsuccessfully

As far as secret sequels, Knuckles Chaotix is fantastic for any 2D Sonic fan.

Oh, heck no. It's one of the blandest games in terms of level design that I've played, especially given its pedigree. I'm a big fan of Mega Drive Sonic and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone to play. Great aesthetics though, super colourful with excellent music. I also like the special stages a lot.

Just my opinion though, obviously you and others disagree.

Tunahead

I think The Last Window counts because it was such a low profile release. One day I just saw it in the DS games section and looked at the cover and was like, "Man, this really looks like Hotel Dusk" and then I turned it over and on the back it said "TURN THE DS SIDEWAYS! KYLE HYDE! TAKE ON ME!" (paraphrased) and then I was like "Oh my god, it is Hotel Dusk" and it was the best day of my entire life.

Seemed forced and shitty to me, as a huge Bioshock fan I was disappointed there weren't more connections to Rapture. Neither 2 or Infinite came anywhere close to the original for me. The lack of connections between them was insulting.

Fake edit: I don't care about the further phoned in DLC either.

Real edit: the
twist also seemed forced in and wasn't explained very well. Gameplay wise it was fun, but the story was pretty convuluted.
like they rushed it, when they took their time with the first one.

Again I built a new PC just for infinite and wanted it to be the best. More disappointed than anything.

I believe in the base game it was still heavily hinted that
the Vigors were created by stealing the idea from an alternate dimension Rapture
. I don't think the twist was half assed, but I think it would have gone better if there was another game in the series with the same dock/lighthouse beginning.

I dunno how "secret" are some of the answers here, when it's a clear continuation, just without number 2 in the name.
I've got the real scoop: Soul Calibur is the secret sequel to Soul Edge.
/s

Krooner

Isn't that a Sleeping Dogs - True Crime situation where a sequel was repurposed into an original game?

It is indeed. The game is probably better than Deus Ex 2, but nowhere near as good as Human Revolution, so it was probably the right decision in the end. Worth a playthrough for fans though.

fernoca

The reboot of Mortal Kombat (2011).
Right at the beginning of the story mode, it explains it is a sequel to MK Armageddon.

Bulzeeb

Those Quintet game : Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma. They all have a small link to them.

I remember loving Terraningma and enjoying IoG but that was a long time ago, how are the games related? this really picked up my attention

GAMETA

Banned
Dark Souls 3 to Dark Souls 1.... I mean... It's supposed to be a sequel but not supposed to be a sequel... it's hard to explain...

MoogPaul

Going with the movie thing, lots of people don't realize My Blue Heaven is a loose sequel to Good Fellas. I forget if it was the writer or director who talked to henry hill about his mob life and turned it into Good Fellas. His wife had a conversation about life in protective custody and turned it into a comedy with Steven Martin.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
It might be the other way around - Vagrant Story has plenty of FFT references, but it was only acknowledged as taking place in Ivalice after FFXII came out. I think Matsuno has also stated he intended it to be a different world?

Ah that might be the case. My bad.

Skulldead

I remember loving Terraningma and enjoying IoG but that was a long time ago, how are the games related? this really picked up my attention

Soul Blazer - > Illusion of Gaia : The secret Boss when you get the 50 red Jewel.

In Terranigma i think there Cameo of character and other reference, but all these game shared the same concept on destruction and recreating the world.

D
rakengard
and N
ier
is probably the best example as brought up.

Another that comes to mind is maybe Sonic Battle and Sonic Advance 3? Advance 3 basically acts as a happy ending to the former game, and besides Gemerl in 3 being a direct callback to Emerl in Battle there are a few music cues that really tie the two together (i.e. this and this, that and that, etc.). I guess it's not much of a secret if you've played Battle beforehand, but otherwise it's a neat nod in what could otherwise just be the third game in the trilogy.

Also, Kirby
and the Amazing Mirror
and
Triple Deluxe
was another nice one I was glad I didn't catch right away.

RBIYF

Neo Member
From what I know, these are the ones that go beyond just mere references to instead being cases where more concrete connections between two series are intended....

Shadow of the Colossus is a prequel to
Ico
, this isn't just a minor reference, it's the core implication of the ending.

As mentioned, Portal and Half-Life are connected.

I've read that Rockstar's seemingly unrelated major franchises games share the same universe, for example, Bully shares the same universe as the GTA series.

Hitman and
Kane and Lynch
are connected.

Top Bottom