• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret Sequels to video games

It might be the other way around - Vagrant Story has plenty of FFT references, but it was only acknowledged as taking place in Ivalice after FFXII came out. I think Matsuno has also stated he intended it to be a different world?

Not true. AJ durai is referenced in the opening of Vagrant story. The same AJ Durai that serves as narrator at the closing(?) Of FFT.

Would be odd to have two different worlds with the exact same dude appearing in both games.

SystemUser

The F.E.A.R. 2 that was released with the subtitle Project Origin was not originally named Fear 2. I think someone else owned the rights to the Fear name but Monolith (WB Games) retained partial rights to some people of the characters such as Alma. The game released as Fear 3 was going to be released as Fear 2. Project Origin was an Alma spinoff originally with no Fear in the name.

Late in the dev cycle WB Games bought the rights to Fear back and Project Origin became a numbered sequel instead of a spinoff. So this one almost fits into OP but not really since they always talked about Alma as in the link below:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2008/03/07/project-origin-details

Platy

No story link, but Mystic Warriors and Wild West COW Boys of Moo Mesa are both gameplay sequels to Sunset Riders

virtue's last reward connects waaaaay more to 999 than it initially lets on. i guess the rebranding as the zero escape series kinda does that anyway though.

While I get what you mean, it prominently features a main character from 999 in promotional material and the back cover, and she's introduced five minutes in the game. Not really a "secret" in any sense of the word. But yeah, it's very cool how it connects to 999 later on.

I'm still bummed about ZTD, though. :/

Bamboo

There Came an Echo, before Sequence had to get its title changed to Before the Echo

Gaffer-made, too
Wait, what? I've played Sequence/Before the Echo (Soundtrack was great! Game was fun). How is it connected to There Came an Echo? Is it just the title-joke or is there more to it story- or in-game-wise? Haven't played the latter.

Fisty

I have a theory that every Housemarque game takes place in the same universe.

Dead Nation->Alienation->Resogun->Super Stardust

Cant decide where to fit Outland in there, maybe between Resogun and Super Stardust

Pyrrhus

Evergrace and Forever Kingdom on PS2. Same lead character, but since Evergrace failed so hard, they deliberately rebranded. I believe the Japanese title was actually Evergrace 2.

Also, Tao's Adventure on DS is set in the same world as Azure Dreams on the PS1.

balohna

Not sure if it counts because the story/universe probably aren't shared, but Crysis and Far Cry 2 both feel like sequels to Far Cry. Like, they each took different aspects to expand on and different things to add.

lt519

Cant decide where to fit Outland in there, maybe between Resogun and Super Stardust

Their next game, Nex Machina, has a save the humans thing going on that Resogun had.

Recently I heard Red Faction is a sequel to Saints Row.

Or something to that effect. I never played either.
In Saints Row 2, the main antagonist is the Ultor Corporation who are also the main villains of Red Faction decades later. With Saints Row 4 though, SR has kind of moved away from being a possible prequel to Red Faction.

I'm shocked that this hasn't made it until page 3. You have to go back about 25 years but most of the people in the west didn't know that Super Mario Brothers 2 wasn't the original sequel to Super Mario Brothers until Super Mario Brothers All Stars came out. In the land before Internet was prevalent and console game mags were just starting off there was really no way to know. I don't recall Nintendo power ever mentioning it prior to Super Mario All-Stars.

Cepheus

Final Fight was the original Street Fighter 2. It was originally titled 'Street Fighter '89' but was changed because critics said that it was nothing like the original Street Fighter. Still, Final Fight and Street Fighter (and Captain Commando, apparently) share the same universe and there are a few Final Fight characters in Street Fighter games (Guy, Cody, Rolento, Sodom, Hugo and Poison). There are none in Street Fighter 5, unfortunately. Allegedly Sodom almost made the cut but Capcom decided not to put him in because of his personality.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Limbo and Inside

......maybe

Erheller

Wait, what? I've played Sequence/Before the Echo (Soundtrack was great! Game was fun). How is it connected to There Came an Echo? Is it just the title-joke or is there more to it story- or in-game-wise? Haven't played the latter.

There Came an Echo is the prequel to Sequence. There's a point in the game's story where it's revealed and it's supposed to come as a surprise.

CloudWolf

The Endless games are a good example, although it's not entirely secret per se, it's still something that most players probably won't get due to the completely different settings and genres of the games involved.

In Dungeon of the Endless the spaceship the characters of the game are in crashes on a planet, revealed to be named "Auriga". One of the playable races in Endless Legend has as backstory that their ancestors came down from the stars thousands of years ago, strongly implying that those ancestors are the survivors from Dungeon of the Endless. Endless Legend's opening cutscene and quest victory talk about Auriga being destroyed by some unknown natural force, in Endless Space you can find Auriga as a barren planet destroyed by a cataclysmic event.

ElfArmy177

Demon's souls is a sequel to kings field. Anyone who says otherwise I'll fight them... On the internet through a forum of course... Cause I'm a sally

Pizza

I like how the Kirby games have a lowkey ongoing canon in the background. Meta knight's ship is blown into the ocean in one game and shows up in an underwater level in a later game while he's repairing it.

Kalentan

dark sector is not in tge same universe according to DE, but they did use elements from Dark Sector to create warframe.

Eh.

I don't think they ever said it was 100% not in the same universe. I remember I was looking into it a month back and DE's response was more of a "Maybe- maybe not." They probably don't want to say yes or no until they know 100% for sure.

Dantrist

Planet Coaster to RCT3

QcopDuQ.jpg

There are fan theories supporting the idea that Star Fox, F-Zero and Metroid take place within the same ingame universe. Eastereggs and shared names in some of those games support this, but in the end they're most likely just nods from one forgotten/mistreated franchise to another ( :( ).

Another one, kind of...
Ninja Gaiden classic (introduces Super Ninja Ryu Hayabusa)
== Dead or Alive series (takes Super Ninja Ryu Hayabusa and adds him to the fighting game character lineup)
== Ninja Gaiden 3D series (takes Ayane and later Kasumi from Dead or Alive as sidecharacters for Super Ninja Ryu Hayabusa)
== Dead or Alive 5 (adds Rachel and Momiji from Ninja Gaiden)
== Warriors Orochi 3 (adds everyone from everywhere etc.)

House of the Dead (lightgun shooting series)
== Zombie Revenge (niche 3rd person Arcade brawler/shooter for Naomi 2/Dreamcast)

Art of Fighting (early 90s SNK series taking place in late 70s/early 80s)
== Last Blade (late 90s SNK series featuring sword fights which features an ancestor of Eiji Kisaragi, Zantetsu)

Space Harrier
== Fantasy Zone

jackal27

Banned
Castlevania Judgement is secretly a prequel to
Kid Dracula
, of all things.
Woooaaaaaah wtf.

Castlevania series has a little bit of this.
Castlevania:portrait of Ruin
is a sequel to the obscure
Castlevania Bloodlines for the Genesis.
It's not necessarily a big secret, but it wasn't really advertised and doesn't seem widely known by more causal fans of the series.

Planet Coaster to RCT3
WHAT IS THIS!?!?

This thread is blowing my mind.

Feep

Banned
There Came an Echo, before Sequence had to get its title changed to Before the Echo

Gaffer-made, too
Yeah. The name change later kind of gives it away, but it was due to a potential lawsuit and didn't occur until several months after TCAE's release.

I had the idea for a secret sequel for years. TCAE's gameplay is in no way, shape, or form related to Sequence's, so I thought it'd be nuts if halfway through, a character reveals him or herself to be a major player in Sequence's events. The story continues from there, exploring what happened in the interim period between the two games and how that conflict is resolved.

It was tough keeping it a secret for as long as I did, but the players who'd previously enjoyed Sequence really enjoyed it, I think.

I should note that TCAE is not a prequel, but a proper sequel.

>.>

baberunisei

I really like this theory. Also not sure about where to fit Outland. If I was asked I would say maybe before Dead Nation

Playsage

Tony Redgrave is name dropped in Bayonetta as well - which is Dante's traveling name. IIRC it's also implied that the bar Rodin runs is the same bar Dante frequents in the DMC expanded universe novel (the same one that introduces Enzo)
Kamiya basically considers every single game he made to be part of the same universe.
Obviously, though, not every linking detail makes sense in retrospective.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
The Wonderful 101 is a secret sequel to Viewtiful Joe.

Sexy Sylvia becomes Wonder Cheerleader, and is friends with Wonder Pink. Joe is apparently still working on his next installment.

Fisty

I really like this theory. Also not sure about where to fit Outland. If I was asked I would say maybe before Dead Nation

I would almost say Outland should take place way after Stardust, since it's a pretty alien world that seems to have existed for a long time. You could have been the last human that didn't get saved.

Dead Nation- Humans find virus that almost kills everyone

Alienation- Aliens come to the weakened Earth and steal a bunch of people and wipe out almost everyone else

Resogun- You use alien tech to head to their world to save the last humans

Stardust- you saved the last humans, now it's time to destroy those alien bastards

Outland (?)- you are a forgotten human, the aliens are rebuilding their world and you fight your way through it

baberunisei

I would almost say Outland should take place way after Stardust, since it's a pretty alien world that seems to have existed for a long time. You could have been the last human that didn't get saved.

Dead Nation- Humans find virus that almost kills everyone

Alienation- Aliens come to the weakened Earth and steal a bunch of people and wipe out almost everyone else

Resogun- You use alien tech to head to their world to save the last humans

Stardust- you saved the last humans, now it's time to destroy those alien bastards

Outland (?)- you are a forgotten human, the aliens are rebuilding their world and you fight your way through it

Agree

Top Bottom