• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Morrisons (4th largest UK supermarket) drop Wii U+ post £100 price drop sales numbers

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/analysis-can-nintendo-turn-wii-u-sales-around-this-christmas/0119501

The news that Asda and Morrisons have dropped Wii U support is also worrying. There are a lot of products for games retailers to stock this Christmas – from Skylanders toys to Xbox One consoles. This may mean more retailers will drop Wii U in favour of better performing products.

On price drop effectiveness at ASDA and Amazon:
Meanwhile, when Asda cut the price of Wii U by £100 three weeks ago, this resulted in just 250 extra console sales compared with the week previously. Amazon followed suit the following week, which caused a further 667 console sales. This shows that the price cut did have an impact, but we’re hardly talking big increases here.

Sounds like they chose a bad time for price cuts. Without games it's not going to help. They could've waited Pikmin 3 at least.

Skyzard

Banned
Sounds like they chose a bad time for price cuts. Without games it's not going to help. They could've waited Pikmin 3 at least.

Yeah, bad timing but I imagine they want to make room for the upcoming next-gen consoles too...whereas I think Nintendo wants to get in on the next-gen hype and advertise for their demographic at that point as a cheap alternative.

SmokyDave

Yeesh, they were deeper price cuts than we can realistically expect from Nintendo too.

(I made a typo of Ninyendo at first. I like it. It's kinda like M$).

Jesus christ, who is next to pull out? Tesco?
GAME, Tescos and Sainsbury's in a triple whammy.

I'm assuming the last console that this happened to was the Dreamcast? Even the GameCube stayed on store shelves for the lifetime of the console, right?

Xav

I worked at Morrisons for over 4 years in the past and I think we sold an Xbox 360 Kinect bundle one time but that's about it. I'm not here to represent the Nintendo defence force but retail in the UK is dead, everything that isn't clothes or food is generally bought online these days.

Yeesh, they were deeper price cuts than we can realistically expect from Nintendo too.

(I made a typo of Ninyendo at first. I like it. It's kinda like M$).

GAME, Tescos and Sainsbury's in a triple whammy.

And with it, the end of the Wii U at UK physical retail.

JoeM86

I'll say it again. Price cuts are great, but it won't make a damned bit of difference if you don't notify people that the price is cut. People here only found out because they track these things, so how the hell would the general populace find out, other than dumbluck?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I worked at Morrisons for over 4 years in the past and I think we sold an Xbox 360 Kinect bundle one time but that's about it. I'm not here to represent the Nintendo defence force but retail in the UK is dead, everything that isn't clothes or food is generally bought online these days.

I see plenty of people buying games in Sainsburys, never a Wii U game though.

batbeg

I don't imagine Morrisons sells a lot of consoles compared even to the top 3 to be fair, but maybe I'm underestimating them. Still more hilarious news. Tesco's next?

ASDA supported the Wii U in 100 stores.

The drastic, £100 price cut only resulted in an average of 2.5 extra consoles being sold per store.

JoeM86

I don't imagine Morrisons sells a lot of consoles compared even to the top 3 to be fair, but maybe I'm underestimating them. Still more hilarious news. Tesco's next?

None of the Tescos near me have ever stocked any Wii U stuff. The only thing I've seen Wii U releated is a sensor bar

As much as I love Nintendo, I hope this starts happening here in the US.

I bought one at launch and have played MAYBE 10 hours in the last 3, and almost all of that was VC games.

At some point either the 'we just need to get games out there' speak will stop or some drastic changes will have to be made.

JoeM86

As much as I love Nintendo, I hope this starts happening here in the US.

I bought one at launch and have played MAYBE 10 hours in the last 3, and almost all of that was VC games.

At some point either the 'we just need to get games out there' speak will stop or some drastic changes will have to be made.

Games sell consoles. It's no secret. The games are starting to come out. It's illogical to drop it just before the support comes for it.

Nintendo shifted their marketing budget out of the recent quarter in order to do a more intense campaign in Q3 and Q4 of this year. I'm already seeing it as I see at least 3 Pikmin 3 adverts a day on television here (I always have it on in the background).

Xav

I see plenty of people buying games in Sainsburys, never a Wii U game though.

I remember GTA IV was a big deal when it came out, we had calls asking about it but on a day to day basis, it was just normally mum's buying their kids some random DS game to go along with their Disney DVD. Call of Duty was a big seller thanks to those mid night launches but after a few days, no one was asking about it.

I honestly don't think Morrisons dropping the Wii U will be a blip on anyone's radar in the grand scheme of things.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If Prince William, Kate Middleton, and Prince Harry are all seen playing Nintendoland with the Queen, will that help sales?

I mean, something's gotta be done here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Meanwhile, when Asda cut the price of Wii U by £100 three weeks ago, this resulted in just 250 extra console sales compared with the week previously. Amazon followed suit the following week, which caused a further 667 console sales. This shows that the price cut did have an impact, but we’re hardly talking big increases here.
I think that's bout as dire as it gets...

I'm assuming the last console that this happened to was the Dreamcast? Even the GameCube stayed on store shelves for the lifetime of the console, right?

I don't remember retailers outright removing Dreamcasts from store shelves, so no it probably wasn't the case there. Probably moving them into the clearance sections or what have you. Might've been a different story in Japan tho.

The fact they aren't even putting the Wii U in a clearance section is massively disappointing.

I honestly don't think Morrisons dropping the Wii U will be a blip on anyone's radar in the grand scheme of things.

Then what would be? Not knowing the UK market, all this sounds disturbing, you guys act like it's never a big deal. If so why are they even selling consoles?

Scotch

I'll say it again. Price cuts are great, but it won't make a damned bit of difference if you don't notify people that the price is cut. People here only found out because they track these things, so how the hell would the general populace find out, other than dumbluck?

People will find out themselves if they're interested in the product. If Morrisons slashed the price of the iPad by 100 pounds you can bet they would fly of the shelves.

The price of the WiiU is not its biggest problem. People simply don't want the thing.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If other big retailers follow suit in the UK the it's over for WiiU.

ASDA supported the Wii U in 100 stores.

The drastic, £100 price cut only resulted in an average of 2.5 extra consoles being sold per store.

As a lot of people said, as long as the price cut isn't officialy announced by the console maker, there's no point.

People will find out themselves if they're interested in the product. If Morrisons slashed the price of the iPad by 100 pounds you can bet they would fly of the shelves.

The price of the WiiU is not its biggest problem. People simply don't want the thing.

Now, what if Apple announced a price drop for the iPad, by 100 pounds. Don't you think it would have a far bigger impact ?

SmokyDave

You totally underestimate the reach of HotUKDeals. If the product was desirable, they'd have sold out pronto. People would buy multiples to put on eBay.

MarkB

Neo Member
There could have easily been wiggle room if Mario Kart was scheduled for a Christmas release (with a big advertising push behind it) many families would have picked one up during their Asda / Morrisons xmas shop. But clearly Nintendo didn't get the finger out in time.

They never even got wii-u stuff in my local Morrison's, I was kind of under the impression that they'd more or less adopted a top/ten only thing with games apart from the £7 stuff they do from time to time.

The Cowboy

Amazon cut the price by £100 as well and it only gained an extra 667 console sales - WOW.

I'd consider that bad if that was the ASDA number, but Amazons!.

mxgt

Banned
Can I just say, nobody in the UK knows what a Wii U is. It's ridiculous. Nintendo really fucked up.

Yup

No one here gives a shit, many of my local shops never stocked it in the first place. Only one of my friends even knows what it is, the rest have no idea or think it's a Wii addon

Such a disaster, and honestly Nintendo deserves it with how sloppy they've been.

Mentioned this elsewhere, but none of my local Morrisons stocked Wii U or Wii U games from launch. Same with Tesco - three major stores nearby have had no Wii U hardware even from launch, and only had Wii U games mixed in with Wii games in their displays.

The only bricks & mortar places I've seen the system with anything like a decent presence were HMV and GAME - supermarkets don't seem to have had much interest. Same went for the 3DS at launch. After a relatively-big push in my local Morrisons - pre-launch ads etc. - every supermarket dropped it like a rock, with no hardware for months and games haphazardly stuffed into the DS shelves. The situation only really picked up in the past 12 months.

They never even got wii-u stuff in my local Morrison's, I was kind of under the impression that they'd more or less adopted a top/ten only thing with games apart from the £7 stuff they do from time to time.

Yup. Around the time of the 3DS launch I saw their PC section vanish to be replaced by budget stands, the full-price Wii/DS releases vanished and there was just a bargain stand, and they ran a kind of top ten for PS3/360 and that was it. After the rough launch for the 3DS, it reappeared with a small selection of new releases, but Morrisons seem to have cut back on their gaming sections heavily in the past two years.

People would buy Wii U if it had games, price is not the main problem.

How many times must we discuss this? >.>
I'd say the brand is so irreparably poisoned that games won't actually turn it round by this point.

It's also not like Nintendo is working in a vacuum in the home console space.

Kouriozan

Nintendo is the only one to blame, you don't release a console with hardly any support from both 1st and 3rd party.
Better luck next gen!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The only reason at why Nintendo don't do a official price cut is that they'd have to finally admit it's a total failure.

LAA

Bad news again...
Tbh, I dont really have much respect for the UK (and I am from the UK), in terms of their... gaming reputation?
It seems to be pretty much Fifa/COD country here.

When Mario Kart 8 comes out, I'm sure sales will pick up here, as we seem to have respect for Mario Kart.

Top Bottom