• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes report: Sony prepared more than 10 million ps4's and Microsoft 7-9 million

sense

don't see it posted yet but found this on my news feed

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130814PD206.html

Having started mass shipping products for Xbox One and PlayStation 4, sources from component makers say that they have already landed orders for September and October, and with the strong demand for both game consoles, orders in November and December are expected to stay strong, helping to boost revenue performance in the second half.

The sources pointed out that game console orders normally last 2-3 months, and clients make adjustments based on pre-orders.

The sources estimate that Sony has prepared more than 10 million PlayStation 4s for the initial launch, and Microsoft has an inventory of 7-9 million XBox Ones.

Since both game consoles will be selling in more countries in 2014, follow-up orders are expected to stay strong and benefit related component makers

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Digitimes is a really poor source of information. They earlier reported that Sony would ship 16 mil PS4's in 2013.

sense

the figures do seem high unless they both have unannounced launch window software that will move consoles. 10 million worldwide for october, november and december maybe feasible but highly unlikely they will sell out though. i guess that rumor that Sony doesn't want people to buy an xbox one instead of ps4 because of supply shortage is maybe true.

Skeff

wow 10 million...that would explain why they have 3rd, 68th and 70th in the amazon.com top 100 of the entire year all launch editions.

I still can't get my head around that 10 million number.

Even if this isn't real number I really want at least one of these consoles to have a bigger install base than wii u on day 1, just for comedic value.

DieH@rd

Banned
10 million for "launch period"... depents how long that will be, and it definetley depents on when Japan will get PS4. So far Sony has announced only US and EU for 2013.

Lets say ~4 mil at launch in late October, and 2 mil in November and 2 in December. That's the best possible result I think can happen for US and EU in 2013, and that's only if stars allign and gamers REALLY embrace PS4. More can be achieved if Japan gets console quickly after US/EU launch.

Dunlop

10 million seems insane as does 7-9 for launch numbers

Pre-orders would be a moot point

I want it to be true just so scalpers can get fucked

If by any means this is true, there will be some bomba prices for the ps4 near February-March. You know after the launch when about 7 million consoles remain on shelves.

But that won't be possible an this is BS news.

DieH@rd

Banned
Thats still alot though. 10 million in 4 months?

Yes.... that is still a lot. Xbox 360 managed to sell ~7-8mil before PS3 arrived.

But PS4 is cheaper than xbone, public is really hot about it, WiiU left a lot of people dissapointed, and who knows what preorder numbers is Sony seeing.

allan-bh

No way this two companies will commit with these high numbers.

Pachter explain well this situation, increase production is very expensive and the companies don't have certain on demand, so probably the two consoles will see no more than 1 million each per month.

Well, that would mean that almost 20mil people would buy a new console within a few months.
But I can see them surpassing the WiiU by the end of this fiscal year.

Jezbollah

I don't think they'd stop preorders if they had 10 million units for launch.

I think they would have had a certain percentage of whatever number they'll actually make earmarked for those who didnt pre-order. It wouldnt be good for Sony if they were to lose sales because of no machines, when the Xbox One is right there to be bought if that's available.

Alx

How fast did previous consoles reach the 10 million mark ? Even for a year, it sounds like a lot.

StiLt

7-9? odd estimate.

Yeah give or take 2 mill is a pretty extreme margin for error.

Think they are doing it right though with shooting for major supply. 10 million-ish is a lot for a first year admittedly, but I also know quite a few non-gamer type people who are getting these for Christmas, mostly because it's the next cool and significant gadget(s) to be coming out and everyone already has ipads from the last few years. They are the easy/safe gift to come up with at the moment.

Top Bottom