• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Peterb0y translator:

That's awful - It's the worst thing ever made

That's okay - It's awful

That's awesome - It's mediocre

That's a masterpiece - It's good

Tokubetsu

If anybody's familiar with Tri Angle Records, I talked to an unnamed representative on a international turntable clone site and found out that there is some sort of huge RVIDXR KLVN/Tri Angle collaboration in the works.

Hopefully it won't be too limited. Last time I bought some Tri Angle shit, it cost me.

Esch

Banned
DITC self titled workin real nice as some study music. its all battle raps so you dont even have to think about a single goddamn thing while youre listening to it.

Recon

Banned
Only Recon would be most excited for Cole/Drake at a Drake, J. Cole,Waka Flocka Flame,Meek Mill, 2 Chainz, French Montana. Well, Recon and most of the females in attendance.

Drake makes good music. Shit, Take Care is better than some of the garbage praised in this thread. Thank Me Later was bad, but dude did right with Take Care. And fuck you if you think Cole isnt worth getting excited for. He hasnt released a bad joint yet. Shit, at least Drake has talent, unlike your fuck buddy Lil bitch.

Peterb0y translator:

That's awful - It's the worst thing ever made

That's okay - It's awful

That's awesome - It's mediocre

That's a masterpiece - It's good
0300_ymsh.gif

Thats fairly accurate.

Who do you guys think is more abstract?

Cannibal Ox or Madvillain?

Cannibal Ox. Hands down, look at some of the shit Rap Genius
lol
has for them.

zN9mZ.gif

Hey GAF-Hop help me out here: Illmatic is my favorite rap album. I've listened to it hundreds of times and just about know every word. The thing is, I've never checked out any of Nas' other stuff because I've read how far he fell off. I listen to a bunch of music so I just never got around to listening to his other records. And I always thought that they might leave a bad taste in my mouth concerning Nas' legacy, because he was a poet on Illmatic:

I switched my motto--instead of saying "fuck tomorrow" that buck that bought a bottle could have struck the lotto.

Just genius. But I'm finally ready to delve into the rest of his discography. Where should I start?

Don't start, stop while you are ahead.

Tokubetsu

Drake makes good music. Shit, Take Care is better than some of the garbage praised in this thread. Thank Me Later was bad, but dude did right with Take Care. And fuck you if you think Cole isnt worth getting excited for. He hasnt released a bad joint yet. Shit, at least Drake has talent, unlike your fuck buddy Lil bitch.

Where were you when everyone was throwing shit my way for liking Take Care?

HiResDes

Naw I was just playing, love Peter, pause. A lot of people liked Take Care, I think it's a much more respectable album than WTT.

Also, every Nas fan should hear It Was Written, don't tell them otherwise.

PBY

Banned
Naw I was just playing, love Peter, pause. A lot of people liked Take Care, I think it's a much more respectable album than WTT.

Also, every Nas fan should hear It Was Written, don't tell them otherwise.

Haha I know you were playing- its funny cuz its kinda accurate. I wonder where Rolling Papers falls on that scale haha.

kamspy

Can I change my username to "A$AP kam" without being a dick rider?

probably not...... :|

A$AP = classiest crew doing it
TDE = best albums
Outdoormen = goddam finally new good NYC rap. Not average NYC rap that you convince yourself is good. This is 90s good. Action and Mayhem for rap presidents of 2012.

Recon

Banned
Listening to some Proof, eerie song but great nonetheless. RIP

Searching For Jerry Garcia made me appreciate Proof so much. Kurt Cobain was so damn good too. Honestly, I think Proof was right up there with Em sometimes, I miss him...

Edit: Just want to say I love yall gaf-hop. Even Kamps. I call yall dumb and stupid from time to time, but you are the best community on gaf. I just read the thread about the old man listening to music in a nursing home, and it made me realize how profound music is in my life. I am glad I have yall dumbasses to share it with.

RJT

I bet you think about GAF-HOP when you're masturbating for 6 hours.

I always loved cross thread replies

Tokubetsu

Track down the old DJ Green Lantern Shady mixtape. It's from 02? 03 and has a Proof freestyle on it that made me fan. I actually own a physical copy of that tape. My sister went to NYC and was visiting fam in Queens and brought it back for me haha. It had all the Em and Benzino diss tracks.

Also has one of my favorite 50 Cent tracks that I've never seen/heard anywhere else:
http://youtu.be/fFf5yty4gVs

EDIT:
Uploading my v0 rip of the Proof track. Don't say I didn't love you, GAF-Hop.

The Proof Freestyle:
http://hulkshare.com/rmobbmgpymm3

Recon

Banned
I bet you think about GAF-HOP when you're masturbating for 6 hours.

I always loved cross thread replies

Dude, that shit was weird lol. Crazy ass night alone.
welcome-48.gif

It's always so amusing to see people calling Drake garbage and then post some shit that makes Wacka Flocka look like a musical genius.

Yeah, exactly. I understand Drake isnt for everyone, especially Siddx. But he is one of those artists I followed before his deal and he is now one of the biggest artists out there. I hated Thank Me Later. I was a Drake hater after that because I figured he sold out and went where the money was. Take Care is a nice evolution of the sound he had before, but more chill. Ill take another album like Take Care and not feel bad about liking it. Plus, he is a big reason The Weeknd blew up so quickly, and I have to be grateful for that.

kamspy

It's always so amusing to see people calling Drake garbage and then post some shit that makes Wacka Flocka look like a musical genius.

Drake has much higher quality control but you're talking apples and oranges. Wacka is the best at what he does(right now). No one can kill Guns Sounds and Hard in the Paint like Wacka. Sometimes you just want to get hype off a song. Rock music get's along just fine with 8 repeated bars. Same thing Wacka does.

You can call Drake's content garbage but his quality control is really good. I mean hot and cold on, never too far in either extreme. I either casually like him or dislike him. I like the first album fore than most people. I think 10 years from now if I bumped Drake (stuff he has out now obviously) I would go for Thank Me Later.

Shut it Down and Karaoke still his best two songs. Crooning Drake >>>> Rapper Drake. I wouldn't care if he stopped rapping altogether. Whole album of Houstonlantavegas, Shut it Down and Karaoke? Sounds good to me.

Better than more Underground Kings ( he doesn't get the 'z' damn it) and lord knows less Lord Knows. Great beat and good song but not what I want from Drake personally.

Get him out the Lil Wayne lane and more in the Frank Ocean, Novel, Weeknd lane. (they all bow to Lyfe and D')

Jay Sosa

TBH I was searching for a more fitting example than Wacka cause even though I don't like him personally (never been a fan of crunk/hype whatever rap) I think that he, just like you said, is good at what he does, making banging, hype music.

Shut it Down and Karaoke still his best two songs. Crooning Drake >>>> Rapper Drake. I wouldn't care if he stopped rapping altogether. Whole album of Houstonlantavegas, Shut it Down and Karaoke? Sounds good to me.

Better than more Underground Kings ( he doesn't get the 'z' damn it) and lord knows less Lord Knows. Great beat and good song but not what I want from Drake personally.

Yes and no, I do like this mixture of rap/singing and I do like UGK type songs here and there but yeah I totally agree on Lord Knows, that song sounds so out of place on Take Care I even considered deleting it (Ross doesn't help either).

I also would love to see a record in the same vein as Marvin's Room and the songs you mentioned. I don't want him to completely stop rapping but wouldn't mind an even smoother and more laid back record as Take Care.

Recon

Banned
TBH I was searching for a more fitting example than Wacka cause even though I don't like him personally (never been a fan of crunk/hype whatever rap) I think that he, just like you said, is good at what he does, making banging, hype music.

Yes and no, I do like this mixture of rap/singing and I do like UGK type songs here and there but yeah I totally agree on Lord Knows, that song sounds so out of place on Take Care I even considered deleting it (Ross doesn't help either).

I also would love to see a record in the same vein as Marvin's Room and the songs you mentioned. I don't want him to completely stop rapping but wouldn't mind an even smoother and more laid back record as Take Care.

Marvin's Room is probably my favorite track on the album. That is the music I know, that is the music I make. The drunk ramblings of someone who once loved and still carries a flame for those he loved. In that song I connect with Drake on a personal level. That shows me that even with all the fame and money, heartbreak is just as easy to find. It is an emotion that connects those of any class and race.

I have taken a strong liking to HYFR recently. That video is just so good.

Esch

Banned
lord knows was a waste of a beat. for shame.

you dont hate drake on the quality of his music per se, you hate it because it feels like audio date rape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom