• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

massoluk

Banned
Yeah, I bought them and have everyone equipped with them. But these things seem like they're too high of a level for me. I'm level 51 and that thing for the radio tower is 55. Am I really somehow undereleveled that badly?

Ahh yes, that valley.
I remember hitting the roadblock at the exact same place. I was crusing along fine until I reached sword valley thing. Stuck there for a day, got out of there, did some sidequest and grinded level a bit. Things are much easier when you gained a few level

The Hermit

Another advice: explore. You will get alot of ex. Points just by finding new and secret locations. But how do I know if I' ve discorvered all secret locations?

Simple: check your map and if it shows everythin, even places that you can't reach and the borders, then you have found all possible locations of that map.

1stStrike

Banned
Mmm. My wii has been collecting dust for over a year now. Is this game worth going through the hassle of hooking it back up?

Is the story actually good? It looks a lot like a FF game, and I'm completely burnt out on them. I hated FF12, so the comparisons to it are a bit of a turn off.

Mmm. My wii has been collecting dust for over a year now. Is this game worth going through the hassle of hooking it back up?

Is the story actually good? It looks a lot like a FF game, and I'm completely burnt out on them. I hated FF12, so the comparisons to it are a bit of a turn off.

Kinda the same for me. It's been at least 6-8 months since I last played my Wii for more than 10 minutes. I had run out of games to look forward to, but this is looking like it will be the one that rekindles the fire.

zroid

Banned
Kinda the same for me. It's been at least 6-8 months since I last played my Wii for more than 10 minutes. I had run out of games to look forward to, but this is looking like it will be the one that rekindles the fire.

I am repulsed by your lack of appreciation for Rhythm Heaven Fever! >:O

Firemind

I found the story really good. The many plot twists keep you wondering what'll happen next. There is melodrama, but nothing overly hammy that makes you roll your eyes to the back of your skull. Perhaps most importantly, it isn't convoluted and full of plot holes like a certain RPG released this year.

I found the story really good. The many plot twists keep you wondering what'll happen next. There is melodrama, but nothing overly hammy that makes you roll your eyes to the back of your skull. Perhaps most importantly, it isn't convoluted and full of plot holes like a certain RPG released this year.

I couldn't disagree more. There were some really, really sappy scenes, that actually were hard for me to watch and had me cringing... Most notably some terribly cheesy character deaths, among other things.

It also boggled my mind to find out how some were actually surprised by several of the supposed twists (that happen before the end game). They give the most obvious hints long before they reveal those and it usually was quite disappointing for me when most of my quite basic guesses pretty much turned out how expected.

While a good amount of cutscenes is still nicely made and fun to follow however, the true strenghts of the game are elsewhere.

Firemind

It also boogles my mind how some were actually surprised by several of the supposed twists (that happen before the end game). They give the most obvious hints long before they reveal those and it usually was quite disappointing for me when most of my quite basic guesses pretty much turned out how expected.

I started with English voices, then changed it to Japanese after a few hours, so I actually missed the memo that it's Mumkhar. The NPC that hints the name of her father is optional, so it's entirely missable. The fact that Monado can't hurt humans isn't as obvious to figure out as you make it out to be. The scene on Prison Island is out of the blue if you couldn't put all these pieces together. If you did, then yeah, it's fairly predictable. I however didn't and thought that Prison Island was superbly done.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the twists in the first half of the game generally telegraph themselves enough so that they aren't massive surprises, assuming you're paying attention.

The ones in the second half of the game were more surprising though, even with the hints the game gives you.

Ultratech

Yeah, the twists in the first half of the game generally telegraph themselves enough so that they aren't massive surprises, assuming you're paying attention.

The ones in the second half of the game were more surprising though, even with the hints the game gives you.

Pretty much. Hardly no way in hell you can predict most of the plot twists of the 2nd half though.

anaron

My biggest problem with the game's writing is the usual Japanese-style exposition and horrible utilization of the cast. If the story isn't focused on their arc, they essentially do not exist.

The wonderful personality/interaction that comes through during battles is the real highlight. Wish it had been applied outside of them.

Firemind

I predict unpredictable events.

What do I win?
cookie.jpg

Come on guys, try not to post major plot twists just before the US release, even with spoiler tags. Just one false highlight and the story could be spoilt for someone.

ivysaur12

Banned
The ending of the game is a big WTF, but in a good way. Worked really well, especially given Takahashi's history and the themes of the game in general.

Socreges

Banned
So is this game going to be very difficult (or impossible) to find for anyone that doesn't order it before or around its release?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
We honestly don't know the size of the print run or how well it will sell but it's probably leaning towards get it now or pay big money a few years from now for a used copy.

Dragon

Banned
I got an EU version of the game but for playing on the Wii U I should probably get an NA version. Although playing with Dolphin will probably be better anyway. Decisions decisions. Oh and I should probably finish it. :/

An-Det

I've got the game payed off, so I'll be jumping into it on Friday. I've been finishing off a few other games (finished Bad Company today, will be finishing Mario Galaxy tomorrow, and likely will finish Valkyria Chronicles by Friday), so I'll be free to focus on Xenoblade. I've been crazing a game like this for a while and waiting for XC for ages, awesome that it's nearly here.

Still undecided on playing with wiimote vs classic controller. I tend to favor improved camera control, but I'll give the wiimote a shot to start.

Jubern

I'm not really one to talk as I have finished the game too, but guys who finished the game want to to talk about it should do so out of this thread, I think.
No spoilers, even in spoilers, until the game come out at the very least.

We're laying a minefield for the newcomers, and they definitely deserve better considering the spoiler policy we had in the European OT.

I think when it comes to spoilers - especially for a game as massive and content-filled as this - it's always best to err on the side of being too conservative rather than risk tainting the experience.

Those of us who have gone through the game know of all the shocking/stunning/scary/amazing moments that could potentially be ruined. It's never a good thing when people who are excited about a game feel they have to stay away from any discussion of it for fear of spoilers.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, there are really only like two posts on the last page or two with spoilers, with or without context (Firemind's, and they are in spoiler tags).

The other posts are people playing through the game and asking questions here instead of the old OT and discussing the game, and I don't see how that's a problem. It's going to be the same way when the games comes out, people are going to start at different times and play at different speeds.

Nert

Someone made a spoiler thread for this game last year. No one really posted in it, but it might be a decent outlet for some of this stuff.

Someone made a spoiler thread for this game last year. No one really posted in it, but it might be a decent outlet for some of this stuff.

It's still alive (the last post was in February) and linked at the top of the OT, although my assumption from reading through it a few months ago was that it was mostly for story discussion. Many of the more basic elements of the game (characters, locations) are much more likely to be spoiled in an OT.

But people should use it more, for sure.

Alrus

It's still alive (the last post was in February) and linked at the top of the OT, although my assumption from reading through it a few months ago was that it was mostly for story discussion. Many of the more basic elements of the game (characters, locations) are much more likely to be spoiled in an OT.

But people should use it more, for sure.

You can't go in a Spoiler thread unless you finished the game if you don't want to get spoiled. Considering the game is quite long, it's inevitable that people will post spoiler here if they want to discuss the story as they go along. It happens in pretty much every single OT and as long as they're correctly spoiler tagged, it shouldn't be an issue.

frequency

Some jerk almost always posts something without spoiler tags though. And that almost always leads to: people quoting it, so it becomes unavoidable even if the original poster edits it; people taking that as an "okay" for posting their own untagged spoilers.

OTs are dangerous.

Pyrokai

So, if my copy has been back-ordered on Nintendo.com, does that mean I'm not gonna get it or what? I'll eventually get this, right?!

bumpkin

So, if my copy has been back-ordered on Nintendo.com, does that mean I'm not gonna get it or what? I'll eventually get this, right?!

It's also possible that eveyone's copy shows as "back-ordered" because Nintendo's online store isn't an Amazon or Best Buy. They usually never do preorders on anything.

I could also just be rationalizing the status 'cuz I want my copy sooner rather than later. :)

Chris R

Just ordered from Nintendo, would be nice to get it before say April 15th, but I don't know how fast "Standard" shipping is.

And Nintendo didn't say a think about the game being "backordered" for me.

It's also possible that eveyone's copy shows as "back-ordered" because Nintendo's online store isn't an Amazon or Best Buy. They usually never do preorders on anything.

Pretty sure its this. I just just checked and mine is on back order too. I put my order in on 12/19 which I think was the first day they were available.

I'm actually considering double dipping to help sales, but on the other hand I would deprive an American of one precious copy

bah. You guys got your dedicated AC. Buying!

bumpkin

Pretty sure its this. I just just checked and mine is on back order too. I put my order in on 12/19 which I think was the first day they were available.

Hopefully. I preordered the bundle with a Classic Controller Pro since I've yet to buy one. Figured I'd kill two birds with one stone, but I just hope they have/get enough of the bundle to cover the preorders. Admittedly I was late to the party, so I am kind of thinking I won't get it right away. I'd like to be wrong though.

Top Bottom