• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
MoogPaul said:
Game really over powers you if you do quests. Like, in a makes it less fun kind of way.
Ugh, they do. Very unfortunate. :/ I don't really like a lot of the quests in the game, but the completionist in me just had to get them done.

Lemme tell you, though... being able to change day into night, and also being able to quick-travel, to do whatever sidequest I wanted or fight whatever I wanted was quite convenient whenever I was in a rush to do something else. I usually play consoles on weekends, so having to avoid unnecessary travel time whenever I was tight on time or had other commitments to do was excellent.

Also, everything looks better at night, imo. >.>

Right, the one bit of advice I'd want to give new players is don't worry about doing all the sidequests. Feel free to go running around accepting sidequests, but they're for you to come back to when you're finished and going through Xenoblade withdrawal (which will probably happen), not during your first playthrough.

There's just too many, and most of them are collectathons. Just extra content (in a game that's about 80 hours without it), don't worry about it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
You know what this thread needs? More Jenna Louise Coleman:
jEOICAi1Llnjw.jpg

beef3483

Maybe this is the wrong place to be saying it since this will finally see release, but I can't help but think that this game might have been Nintendo's Demon Souls. They way the core gamer has completely embraced this game makes me think that it might have been received similarly if they hadn't completely mismanaged this whole thing and released it before Wii died. It's as if they wanted it to fail.

Maybe this is the wrong place to be saying it since this will finally see release, but I can't help but think that this game might have been Nintendo's Demon Souls. They way the core gamer has completely embraced this game makes me think that it might have been received similarly if they hadn't completely mismanaged this whole thing and released it before Wii died. It's as if they wanted it to fail.

For a company that takes such extraordinary risks with their hardware, it can be surprising just how conservative they often are with their software IPs. Outside of the major Nintendo franchises (Mario/Zelda/MK/etc) there are plenty of "core" first-party titles that fail overseas. I'm not surprised that Nintendo was seemingly so averse to bringing the game out here.

And honestly? I can't really blame them. Nintendo fans are notoriously unreliable when it comes to brilliant first-party fare. Exhibit A:

Rv62x.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I guess you could consider Melia the worst party member if you don't like completely owning the middle of the game with 20k bolt discharges of doom.

I think Melia is a pretty boring character. While everyone else is pretty cool and avoids annoying troupes. Melia really doesn't. She's a Princess with a lot of pressure and she needs to be strong, yawn.

I also just found the story stopped while you were doing her stuff. It had a lot of momentum before then and her stuff was boring. Also the fact that the area isn't spread out like a sprawling place, but instead structured on several platforms that you have to transport through meant it wasn't as fun to walk around and explore. Though as far as exploring there really wasn't much cool stuff to fine or look at. Compared to the rain forest type area that just looked so cool and was fun to explore this was kind of a letdown.

Obviously after your done with her story stuff it gets better, but the area where you get her is a lowpoint for me and I just dont care for her character.

I guess you could consider Melia the worst party member if you don't like completely owning the middle of the game with 20k bolt discharges of doom.
I got Ryen Time, a healer who uses guns to heal while her boobs jiggle, and a dude with a sword that shoots out light. My party is already awesome.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
For a company that takes such extraordinary risks with their hardware, it can be surprising just how conservative they often are with their software IPs. Outside of the major Nintendo franchises (Mario/Zelda/MK/etc) there are plenty of "core" first-party titles that fail overseas. I'm not surprised that Nintendo was seemingly so averse to bringing the game out here.

And honestly? I can't really blame them. Nintendo fans are notoriously unreliable when it comes to brilliant first-party fare. Exhibit A:

Rv62x.jpg

Bought that day 1, and never regretted it. Such a good game. Wish more would've wised up and bought it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like all of the party members basically equally, but I did spend an inordinate amount of time controlling Melia as she is basically ineffective as an AI partner.

Tons of people dump Reyn for other characters later on but honestly he might be the single most fun character to control. His biggest problem is that his best role is a mega physical tank in a game that doesn't really need one but fortunately you can turn him into an offense first DPS machine with some of his underused abilities and auras.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I got Ryen Time.
Good heavens, just look at the time!

Reyn is awesome; one of my favourites to control.

Rv62x.jpg
Bought that Day 1 with no regrets. Such a fun game, and the music's great. Edit: I still have that 500 Wii points card that was the preorder bonus for it.

Do I have to buy this from fucking Gamestop?

Edit: Gamestop and Nintendo.com. Seriously? Why?

Anyway I'm still pissed it took this long.

Do I have to buy this from fucking Gamestop?

Anyway I'm still pissed it took this long.

Either a) NOA wants to do a limited first-time print to gauge reception; b) Gamestop paid handsomely to be the exclusive retail carrier; or c) Reggie hates us. Choose the one that makes you feel best and then let's play the game.

I'm really looking forward to another meaty title on the Wii, as well as an RPG with an actual ending after playing ME3. Don't break my heart, GAF!

zroid

Banned

Because apparently GameStop was highly influential in convincing Nintendo to publish the game and it may not have been released at all otherwise.

I don't get why people feel this pathological need to boycott GameStop on principle. Of course they're a shitty company, but when they do good, don't you think it's worth rewarding that?

Because apparently GameStop was highly influential in convincing Nintendo to publish the game and it may not have been released at all otherwise.

I don't get why people feel this pathological need to boycott GameStop on principle. Of course they're a shitty company, but when they do good, don't you think it's worth rewarding that?

yeah this is a good point. i don't like gamestop too much but there have been quite a few times where i go to best buy or target looking for a semi-old game and they no longer stock it but sure enough gamestop has it (used and new).

they do crappy things but so does every store

They've sold games I've pre-ordered and reserved with 24 hours of release and have literally refused to sell me a new copy of Muramasa despite having plenty of them that weren't reserved. The service is also fucking annoying. The company deserves nothing less than being drilled into the ground.

they do crappy things but so does every store
When I buy from Amazon, the local gamestore, and even Walmart they don't give me a five minute monologue on all the bonuses I could pay a subscription for.

Too bad she voiced the worst party member. Who's arrival was the worst part of the game as well.
You misspelled "best party member".
YYvCJ.gif

tbh I'm not going to argue "worst part of the game", since it seemed like they were going somewhere interesting there and then they didn't. Red herring!

Can I pre-order now and get the artbook, or I am basically screwed for waiting too long?

If you preorder in the store and get there early on release day, it may be possible...

The artbook looks like it's basically just a few glossy versions of the artwork linked in the OP and a little bit of text. It's nowhere near the behemoth that Japan and France got.

zroid

Banned
They've sold games I've pre-ordered and reserved with 24 hours of release and have literally refused to sell me a new copy of Muramasa despite having plenty of them that weren't reserved. The service is also fucking annoying. The company deserves nothing less than being drilled into the ground.

When I buy from Amazon, the local gamestore, and even Walmart they don't give me a five minute monologue on all the bonuses I could pay a subscription for.

Not defending their practices, but I do believe in the idea that you can send a positive message by supporting them for Xenoblade, while still decrying their other bullshit (for example, by not trading in or buying used games from them, etc.).

Plus there remains the option to simply order from gamestop.com, where the whole warranty/subscription nag doesn't even apply. This is what I'm doing!

corn_fest

Paid off my preorder today. Going into this based only on GAF hype, so hopefully it won't disappoint!
One question, though: has anyone played this successfully with a standard classic controller? I won't be getting a Pro.

Paid off my preorder today. Going into this based only on GAF hype, so hopefully it won't disappoint!
One question, though: has anyone played this successfully with a standard classic controller? I won't be getting a Pro.

I tried it for a bit with the vanilla Classic Controller, it works well enough. There is a use for the ZL and ZR buttons, though, and there are a few instances where it's a very good idea to use them, so it can be a bit awkward without the CCPro.

corn_fest

I tried it for a bit with the vanilla Classic Controller, it works well enough. There is a use for the ZL and ZR buttons, though, and there are a few instances where it's a very good idea to use them, so it can be a bit awkward without the CCPro.

Well, good to hear that it's not completely awful.

Err, it's not exactly hard to use ZL or ZR on a regular CC. It's not like they are missing or anything.
It's not a huge problem, obviously, but I was concerned that perhaps it made extensive use of ZL and ZR, which would have been pretty uncomfortable for extended sessions.

Rootbeer

Banned
Err, it's not exactly hard to use ZL or ZR on a regular CC. It's not like they are missing or anything.

I agree, it's perfectly fine, especially for a game like XBC. The triggers don't add to the experience. I own the CC and I like it's classic, simple shape. Never felt the need to upgrade to the CCP.
Either a) NOA wants to do a limited first-time print to gauge reception; b) Gamestop paid handsomely to be the exclusive retail carrier; or c) Reggie hates us. Choose the one that makes you feel best and then let's play the game.

I'm really looking forward to another meaty title on the Wii, as well as an RPG with an actual ending after playing ME3. Don't break my heart, GAF!
How wrong is it that a game like XBC, widely considered to be one of the BEST games on the Wii, with plenty of reviews to back it up, has so little confidence behind it, meanwhile we have tons of crappy Wii games lining store shelves around the country!

What kind of backwards world do we live in!? Put it on shelves and people WILL buy it! Or at least... they would have, if they had released it at the same time as the EU version.

Found this little secret area and got to the
sewers of Colony 6
. Really really enjoying the game so far. My characters are all at level 23.

Why do people ditch Reyn? He's good at getting enemies' attention while I sneak around the back with Shulk for a backslash.

jepense

I played with the normal CC, and it's very comfortable. The Z-buttons are never that suddenly needed to be an inconvenience. While the nunchuck is also a valid control option, I cannot play the game without constantly panning the camera to look at the gorgeous sights.

sewers of Colony 6

Why do people ditch Reyn? He's good at getting enemies' attention while I sneak around the back with Shulk for a backslash.

The main reason?

Dunban is another aggro-soaking tank, but equipped properly (with gear to enhance his agility) he can dodge a majority of attacks that come his way, even with enemies at his level.

It's also nice to have a change of pace in the party. One of the best pieces of advice for new players? Switch up the party, and not just the supporting roles. Maining different characters throughout the game makes combat much more interesting.

Hiltz

sewers of Colony 6

I gave Reyne a chance but he was just boring despite his usefulness as an AI-controlled character. However, he lacked the coolness factor and flashier moves of certain other playable tank character mentioned above.

The main reason?

Dunban is another aggro-soaking tank, but equipped properly (with gear to enhance his agility) he can dodge a majority of attacks that come his way, even with enemies at his level.

It's also nice to have a change of pace in the party. One of the best pieces of advice for new players? Switch up the party, and not just the supporting roles. Maining different characters throughout the game makes combat much more interesting.
That makes sense, I suppose. Do new characters entering your party arrive at the same level as Shulk?

Also, is there a way to "undo" or otherwise dispose of useless crystals?

Hiltz

That makes sense, I suppose. Do new characters entering your party arrive at the same level as Shulk?

Yes. New characters that join the party arrive at the same level.

I don't believe you can undo a crystal that has already been combined. However, from what I can remember, you can get rid of them either by discarding them from your inventory or by selling them at npc shops.

I'm not sure if it's the same level as Shulk or an average of your party's overall level, but it's always in the neighborhood. If you're overleveled when you get a new party member, they will be too.

And you can (and should) sell useless crystals (or gems, if you want). In the last third of the game they will be the reason your inventory gets full.

Edit: thanks Hiltz ;)

how do you look up your order status on nintendo.com????. What a mess. I really want to cancel and pre-order tomorrow at gamestop (don't want to wait for shipping and don't care about artbook)

Top Bottom