• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

B.K.

Sipowicz said:
is that not just the same as gen-b or whatever it's called?

GEN-B is an update to 5.50 GEN. It improves certain features of it. It's for firmware 5.50. 6.00 GEN will be for 6.00.

I lost my Monster Hunter Freedom save when I updated FW/upgraded my memory card. Apparently this is a common problem with the game (other games too) which sucks because the game is a grindfest that tends to generate save files to the tune of several hundred hours. I searched around for awhile and finally found a guide to fixing a corrupt save for any PSP game, and I can now say that it works 100%.

http://feedurmind.wordpress.com/2009/08/29/how-to-fix-corrupted-psp-saves/

-Rogue5-

Quick question; for those of you that had a regular PSP, were using game sharing, and then moved to a PSPslim&lite, did migrating all of the shared content over to the S&L take up one of the share slots? I mean, if you moved from a PSPphat, to a PSPwhite, to a PSPslim, then to a PSPgo, even though it's the same user, does it actually take up four "share" slots? What if you had a hardware failure?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I've been wanting to hack my PSP for some time, mainly to play my Amiga games on it, especially the likes of SWOS, Chaos Engine, Alien Breed, Lotus 2 and Speedball 2. But I've been looking up information on how to install CFW, and I've been a bit overwhelmed by the amount of websites and information. I don't really know where to start. So, can anyone give me a quick rundown on what I need?

My PSP is a Slim and Light model of the original kind (PSP-2004), and I run Vista 64 on PC (if that's relevant at all). So is there a fool-proof guide to do this quickly?

StarEye said:
I've been wanting to hack my PSP for some time, mainly to play my Amiga games on it, especially the likes of SWOS, Chaos Engine, Alien Breed, Lotus 2 and Speedball 2. But I've been looking up information on how to install CFW, and I've been a bit overwhelmed by the amount of websites and information. I don't really know where to start. So, can anyone give me a quick rundown on what I need?

My PSP is a Slim and Light model of the original kind (PSP-2004), and I run Vista 64 on PC (if that's relevant at all). So is there a fool-proof guide to do this quickly?
what FW is it on now?

I am currently on 5.00 m33-6, is it easy to get to offical 6.0 firmware from here? I think now that a few games (the games I want) support "Install to Mem Stick" options I no longer need custom firmware.

So, easy to jump to official 6.0? I have a launch Japanese 1000 PSP.

RanoNL

KennyLinder said:
I am currently on 5.00 m33-6, is it easy to get to offical 6.0 firmware from here? I think now that a few games (the games I want) support "Install to Mem Stick" options I no longer need custom firmware.

I've got the same question.

I have a PSP 2004 system. Custom firmware 5.00 M33-6 and I want to go back to the original FW 6.00. Is this possible?

RanoNL

red shoe paul said:
Yeah, you just upgrade like normal..
If I want to update the PSP from the menu (Settings > Network Update) it says:

"The latest version of the system software is already installed. There is no need to update"

RanoNL said:
If I want to update the PSP from the menu (Settings > Network Update) it says:

"The latest version of the system software is already installed. There is no need to update"

You need to switch to the Sony updater, not the Dark Alex "server"

Turn off PSP
Hold R shoulder down, and Turn On
You'll come to a cusom menu with red text
In there is an option called Options or Customisation or something
In that menu, is an option regarding Network Update. Select that to change the current setting.
Exit out.
Now try it.

Sipowicz

Banned
thank you guys

so i'm assuming that 6.00-GEN has the momery stick speed up thing of m33-6, is that right?

is it made by the same people as m33 or is it a different one?

linkboy

Sipowicz said:
thank you guys

so i'm assuming that 6.00-GEN has the momery stick speed up thing of m33-6, is that right?

Gen is made by a different team.

M33 is made by Dark Alex, the original CF creator.

GEN is a recent team, who in the short term, has picked up where DAX left off.

Erebus

Sipowicz said:
thank you guys

There is still no 6.00-Gen but 5.50-Gen B hasn't got the MS speed-up option.

Phreak47

KennyLinder said:
Hmm. Not sure if it will be an issue. What about the new CFW 6.00 from the GEN? group? Is that due soon?

Not confirmed when, but assumed since they have already decrypted 6.0.

Speculation is they'll hold out until after October 1st at least, in case Sony is ready to leap-frog the next CFW before the Go launches. Besides, nobody knows exactly where their progress is at, as they have not said.

It's kind of a lot to search through, and I want an opinion anyway, so I guess I'll ask: is there any music player using CFW that is superior to the current PSP player?

I don't even know how to sync the PSP up with a library. :\

Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
It's kind of a lot to search through, and I want an opinion anyway, so I guess I'll ask: is there any music player using CFW that is superior to the current PSP player?

I don't even know how to sync the PSP up with a library. :\
I don't know about players, but all you do is drag and drop your music files into the music folder on your memory card. I know some programs will create a library that can sync to the PSP, but I prefer the hard method.
Tee Hee.

kitch9

Banned
KennyLinder said:

What games install to stick on OFW? That is very interesting..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
StarEye said:

amiga games!?

I used to have a modded PSP but accidentally bricked it and never bothered buying another one. I'm starting to get that itch again with GT and the thought of playing PSone games and Amiga on it.

Can I buy one premodded from anywhere? Are any of the shop-bought slim&lites still moddable?

I have access to a pandora battery and a psp fat if it helps

xero273

kitch9 said:
What games install to stick on OFW? That is very interesting..

off the top of my head Dissidia, soul calibur, one NISA game, Gundam vs Gundam, sengoku battle heroes, and Musou Orochi 2

Kazenone said:
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite has it too.

Yep, just looked it up and it does.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Found word of a hacker comparing various JP and US files and making progress in loading the US version using hacked JP files, much like the ripkits for getting Soul Cal (EU, US) and Dissidia FF (EU) running. Apparently he was looking for testers, so I registered on the site and offered up my 2 PSPs.

Mejilan

I believe that they're really working on something.
I believe it's also totally feature-incomplete, with major features like ISO loading as not working (as they've openly admitted).

I don't particularly believe that this will actually turn into a viable, working CFW replacement for M33, or even Gen.

-Rogue5-

Isn't cracking the hen of 6.00 pretty much the same as saying a release is imminent/a couple of days away? I'm wondering for the sake of GTpsp and MS:AE compatibility more than anything else. Peace Walker, too.

Mejilan

Main page is down for maintenance and will be back soon.
Wiki's still up and running.

Why would a mostly static front page need maintenance?
Redesigning it? If so, why is he redesigning it?

*shrugs*

Mejilan said:
Main page is down for maintenance and will be back soon.
Wiki's still up and running.

Why would a mostly static front page need maintenance?
Redesigning it? If so, why is he redesigning it?

*shrugs*
Dark Alex will always return! In all seriousness, with as much as he knows about firmware, I wouldn't be surprised if he just feels compelled to crack the latest OFW. Sony comes out with a new one, patching whatever exploit and he gets the will to break it again.

Just my thoughts though, I don't actually know the guy.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Anyone been temped to blow off their CFW and update to a current legit one, I really want to purchase the DD version of Motorstorm Arctic Edge when it's the the PSN store.

Not sure what to do tbh.

lowrider007 said:
Anyone been temped to blow off their CFW and update to a current legit one, I really want to purchase the DD version of Motorstorm Arctic Edge when it's the the PSN store.

Not sure what to do tbh.

Yeah, I washed my hands of CFW, but that's back when I thought we were getting a UMD "good will" program. :lol

RuGalz

lowrider007 said:

Not sure what to do tbh.

I don't plan to give up on CFW altogether so I might need to get a Go sooner than I originally planned to. Phat for CFW/UMD stuff; Go for all the new stuff.

Got a CFW (5.00 M33-6) PSP-2000 the other day.
Anyway, some n00b questions:
1. Should I set the CPU speed in UMD/ISO mode to 333MHz? Any real benefits?
2. Best PDF reader?
3. Any way to play music files in FLAC format (too lazy to convert)?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
RuGalz said:
I don't plan to give up on CFW altogether so I might need to get a Go sooner than I originally planned to. Phat for CFW/UMD stuff; Go for all the new stuff.

That's what I was planning but that's alot of money just to keep a CFW psp going when mine is perfectly fine with a bigger screen and similar battery life.

Ummmmm, decisions decisions, I think I'll try holding off until the Go is released to see if they add a lot more content to the store, if they do I'll drop the CFW.

Top Bottom