• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

I think my PS3 died :( I was in HOME in my summer house chatting with friends then my PS3 shut down and then it beeped and the red light flashes. When i try to turn it on the light goes green then yellow for a split second then shuts off back to flashing red lights :(

Hinomura

Updating my story (CE/Italy).

What's happened?
- On 2007/03/21 I bought a 60GB PS3 from Mediaworld (MediaMarket)
- My PS3 stopped reading discs few days before Christmas 2008
- I brought the PS3 back to the Mediaworld on 2009/01/20

The Law says (number 24, year 2002)
- The shop legal warranty is 24 months
- The producer conventional warranty may vary, in this case it's 18 months
- If it breaks* within 24 months of warranty**, the customer must have free of charge repairs OR product substitution (identical / superior product) OR full money back from the shop
- If it breaks* during producer conventional warranty, charges/costs are covered by the producer/distributor**, else -if the 24 months aren't over- they are covered by the shop

* under circumstances covered by warranty, like "it stopped working as intended because of being faulty"
** in particular cases the producer warranty can exceed the reseller warranty, like in Xbox 360 RROD matters

Now?
- Six weeks later, on Monday the 2nd of March 2009, Mediaworld calls me telling I've to pay 199 € since my ps3 is out of 18 months warranty. I was skeptical because I knew the warranty is twentyfour months and not eighteen. I promised them to call back once I got more information.
- The same afternoon, after being informed, I called back Mediaworld, reporting about law 24/2002, thus the PS3 is still covered by shop warranty even it's no more covered by producer. The operator told me to wait her to discuss the matter with a senior, then she would call me back in the evening.
- I'm still waiting for their call and I'm probably out of luck [...], because they don't even answer my calls.

AmericanNinja said:
I think my PS3 died :( I was in HOME in my summer house chatting with friends then my PS3 shut down and then it beeped and the red light flashes. When i try to turn it on the light goes green then yellow for a split second then shuts off back to flashing red lights :(
Yea its dead, Yellow Light of Death. Time to call Sony :/. Say is your model a 60GB?

FirewalkR

BEHOLD NEOGAF, THE NEWS OF VICTORY THAT I BRING THEE:

Metalmurphy, who henceforth shall be known as Lawbringer or Vindicator depending on your persuasion, has achieved a victory the kind of which is reserved for the finest of NeoGAF'ers. The feat is made even more impressive given that he is, erm, temporarily acquainted with a "forum grave" and is awaiting resurrection. But I digress, NeoGAF! Hear hear, for it is a tale of GREAT justice!

Having seen his beloved 60GB EU PS3 whither and die quite some moons ago, our brave Metalmurphy went to the shope from whence he had acquired it. And what doth he hear, you ask, NeoGAF? "Oooh you must talk to Sony. You gotta deal with them directly." But NO, Metalmurphy stood strong and demanded to have his warranty dealt with by the store, as per his legal rights, in the country of Port'ugal. He left the premises, not to hear from them for about a month. Armed with only his unflinching courage (and a piece of paper containing "The LAW") he today, in this DAY of DAYS, went back to the shope and demanded his full €599 back. Yes, NeoGAF, you hear correctly, our brother demanded the full price as he paid for it ages ago. "Oooooooooh", the shope managers screamed. "This can't be, such a thing can't happen." "But it WILL happen.", resisted Metalmurphy. "Ooooooh but you bought it through credit, so you can't have such a value back." they retorted. "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA I laugh at your claims and MOCK your knowledge of 'The LAW' relentlessly", said Metalmurphy rubbing the managers noses in the relevant parts of "The LAW" with one hand while with his other hand pleasing THREE female store clerks at the same time. "You shall do these and ALL the other things I demand of thee, for even if I'm temporarily restrained, THIS. IS. NeoGAF!!!!!"

And Lo and Behold that in their panic the managers produced these spoils that our brave warrior, Metalmurphy, returned home with after a battle well fought, and better won:

wqpiki.jpg

Yes, NeoGAF, it is true, the WHOLE €599 of value were properly returned.

PS3 KZ2 Combo - €400
PS2 - €120
Paper-Money - €70
Assorted Coinage (not in picture due to consumption in beverage destined to immediate festivities) - €9

REJOICE. NeoGAF, for our brother Metalmurphy has shown us today that it IS possible to fight for our rights, and how it is done.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
FirewalkR said:

PS3 KZ2 Combo - €400
PS2 - €120
Paper-Money - €70
Assorted Coinage (not in picture due to consumption in beverage destined to immediate festivities) - €9

REJOICE. NeoGAF, for our brother Metalmurphy has shown us today that it IS possible to fight for our rights, and how it is done.

If only the shop gave him back his posting privileges along with it. ;p

Hinomura

Since Mediaworld is still not answering my phone calls (!!!), I'll do the same thing Metalmurphy did. Next week I'll go back to the shop with the printed law asking my money back.

FirewalkR

industrian said:
If only the shop gave him back his posting privileges along with it. ;p

Haha no mere shope can do such a thing. Such a deed is reserved for the NeoGAF clergy. Bishops and above only.

Hinomura said:
Since Mediaworld is still not answering my phone calls (!!!), I'll do the same thing Metalmurphy did. Next week I'll go back to the shop with the printed law asking my money back.

If you don't know exactly what to take (what laws, articles, blah) I can ask Metal where he got the info from. I think it was in the EU PS forums but I'm not sure.

Hinomura

FirewalkR said:
If you don't know exactly what to take (what laws, articles, blah) I can ask Metal where he got the info from. I think it was in the EU PS forums but I'm not sure.
That's really very kind of you both. I have this page, and it should be enough (italian language): http://www.parlamento.it/leggi/deleghe/02024dl.htm but more information is better.

By the way I've just received a call from Mediaworld, operator changed the subject from: "PS3 has more than 18months" to "Sony Service told us PS3 is no more under Sony warranty, we have several customer with this problem and everyone paid full price for servicing (!!!)".

I told her about the 24/2002 law she said: "You must ask Sony Service to fax/tell us the product is faulty and not broken by user; if they don't recognize the PS3 to be faulty you have to pay, and it's improbable they'll recognize it to be faulty; so do you want it back without servicing or are you going to pay?". I told her to wait I call Sony Service.

CloakBass

Woah. I was thinking of buying a used 60GB system for the BC, but this thread is beginning to scare me. System failure is unacceptable, especially considering how much people pay for these things. Maybe a class action law suit like the PS2 days would alleviate the situation a bit. Definitely needs to be a bigger outcry over this, but I don't see that happening considering that these units aren't produced anymore.

I really don't want a 360 and I'd rather not get a gimped system. Oh well.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
yesterday a friends ps3 died while playing street fighter :(
the yellow light... i told him it was over , but he didnt want to hear a word...

i have to go to the shop he bought it now because , yay im a good friend and hes at work...
wish me luck and praise europ`s 2 years of warranty on every shit you buy :)

he bought it 23th march 2007 (?) on launch day , like i did... now i just hope mine will work for a while or die until the 23th

funny thing is he bougth kz2 and while i played the game he told he hell wait for weekend to enjoy kz2 all day... hes a sad panda right now

edit: just got back.. what the fuck is this shit?

german gaf unite: was heißt hier gewährleistung? was muß ich mir für ne lüge einfallen lassen damit die gewährleistung zieht und ich nix zahlen muß ? :D .... :(

Carlisle

This thread combined with the one on the playstation.com forums is scaring me. I didn't realize the problem had gotten that bad. I have an 80gb MGS4 bundle that is very compatible with my PS2 library, so I'm nervous. I just went and vacuumed my system... and the shelf it sits in, and everything else around it.

But from the playstation.com boards, it doesn't sound like 80gb units are too much at risk yet. I think I only saw one unit on the list of failures that was newer than mine. I'm just worried that this is a time-delay thing. In the first year or so, there were hardly reports of 60gb failures, and now it's starting to climb... what happens when we give 80gb and 40gb units another year...?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
My system just died and my Killzone disc is stuck inside of it >_<

Has anybody used one of the repair guys on Ebay? I'm thinking of sending it there instead of Sony (cheaper & I get my system back instead of a refurb).

Thrakier

I'll get my PS3 back next week, the YLOD got repaired. In this case it's a similar issue to the RROD (heat, mainboard, needs reflowing). I hope it won't break again too soon (shop said that there is a 50/50 chance that this will happen again some day). I have half a year guarantee for the repair and if it breaks again the next 6 months I will buy a new one, although I'm pissed that so much stuff is locked to the hardware. And the 80gigs I saw were a lot louder than my current 60GB which is almost dead silent. It's beautiful. Anyway, here is a bit more info on the YLOD: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14998400&posted=1#post14998400

The_Dude

I was wondering if someone could help me. I was playing my week old PS3, turned it off for 15 minutes, came back and there is no picture. I've tried holding down the power button to reset the settings, but while I can get a picture through composite, there is just a blank screen through HDMI - even though it looks like a signal is going through. I'm using my computer monitor, and it is fine through DVI (as you can see!). Any advice, or am I screwed after a week of ownership?

Edit: I thought I had no way of testing the HDMI cable, but I remembered my DVD player had an HDMI out, so I tried it and got no picture. In other words, it looks like I can rule out my PS3 as the cause of the problem.

Incidentally, I hooked up my PS3 via composite to my old TV and was really surprised about how damn good it looked even with those crappy connections!

JaseMath

Damn it. One day after my Wii video card goes haywire, I'm getting this 80029906 error when I try to play blu-ray movies...anyone know of a fix or am I fucked? ;(

karasu

Would Sony fix my dead PS3(for $150) if I damaged it even more by taking it apart to get my game out of it?

paparazzo

karasu said:
Would Sony fix my dead PS3(for $150) if I damaged it even more by taking it apart to get my game out of it?
They probably will but you didn't need to open the PS3 to get your game out. On the form they send for you to fill out it asks if there's a game inside, you provide the name of the game and receive it along with the console they send you.

Hinomura

No way.

Mediaworld call
"In order to obtain free of charge repair, you have to ask Service to fax us your PS3 is compliance faulty. But they won't."

Sony Authorized Service call
Probably the owner, getting angry: "We are not going to hoe ourself in the feet writing anything similar (...)."
Probably his wife: "And things break because of wear (...)."

Mediaworld call
"I told you they won't. Not a single no-more-working/reading-12/18-months-PS3 has been repaired free of charge here.
To tell the truth almost any product we sell has 12 months manufacturer conventional warranty, and even in those cases we've never ever repaired anything free of charge, because Service won't admit it's faulty."

Deadline is the 20th of March 2009.
Mediaworld lost a customer.

teiresias

Well, it seems my PS3 has gone belly-up tonight. I don't have the YLOD though. I have a 20GB model, btw, purchased from Amazon in January '07.

Last night I was playing some Burnout: Paradise when it froze up. I didn't think much of it, thinking it was just a game freeze, so I forced a shutdown by holding the power button and just went to bed. I tried to turn it on tonight and noticed the controller wouldn't start the console. I started it manually and it started and then I could pair my DS3 with it. I scrolled through the XMB a bit, deciding what I wanted to launch and then the XMB froze with some graphical artifacts around the currently active icon. So I did a restart with the power button again.

When I restarted it this time it started up but showed no graphics and I could only hear sound. I figured maybe I was having HDMI issues so I again did a power-button restart and held the button down to do an HDMI reset, but now I can't get the console to do anything besides start up, blink the HDD access light a couple of times, and then sit there with a green light. Neither my SixAxis nor my DS3 will pair with it.

I thought about taking out the HDD to see if maybe it had died, (I replaced the 20GB with a larger drive 150GB I think) but I'd think the PS3 would just show me an error if there were a HDD issue rather than not booting at all.

I guess I need to read through this thread to see the basic gist of what to do in this situation, though it sounds like I have a different issue than the YLOD. It's like my HDMI and Bluetooth are dead (and with them dead the thing may be operating fine otherwise, I just can't detect it - I don't have any component cables on hand to see if I can see anything through that interface).

Any ideas guys? I'm also debating, given I don't game with PS2 games much anymore, whether to pay the $150 for a repair or just get a new one. Obviously, the $150 is cheaper, but I've read enough about replacements/repairs that fail soon after that it seems like it could possibly be a fruitless cost.

teiresias, your issue sounds very similar to mine. I went ahead and paid the 150 and am waiting for the box to arrive to ship my dead ps3 for repair.

I'm not sure if BC is important to you but if it is I'd recommend getting your 20gb repaired over buying a new ps3. If my (once it gets) repaired ps3 dies again you bet I will call Sony and raise holy hell. My ps3 died only 18 months in and after repair costs the damn thing has cost me over 700 bucks. For a "premium" product I expect it to last just a little longer than that ;)

Dyno

I got the YLOD last night, with a game disk inside. Sony's automated customer support is FUCKING BRUTAL. I know this from when I had to pull teeth in order to get a caddy for a hard drive.

Maybe I should look for other repair solutions closer to home... Googling Toronto PS3 Repair.

I think my 60 gig PS3 is on the way out. Last night it couldn't read a brand new DVD. I checked, and it could read a Blu-Ray movie, a PS3 game, and a PS2 game.

I then put the DVD in again, the PS3 didn't read it, so I turned the system off. This upset the PS3, and it simply blinked a green light at me over and over again rather than turning off.

I then turned off the switch on the back of the console, waited 20 seconds and turned it back on. After powering the system back on, the PS3 recognized the DVD and played it just fine.

Still, isn't this a sign of bad things to come? Or just a fluke?

Dandy

:(
:(

My launch 60GB died last night, YLOD (my precious Skate 2 is still in the drive!). It's a Japanese PS3 which means I have no warranty or anything.

So, anyway I found these guys; http://playstation-repairs.creativeit.tv/, they say that they can repair my console. Any UK gaffers used them before? Their site looks well dodgy...

No YLOD here but something's screwed up with my chipset - when I turn my PS3 on it works normally, but after a few minutes the graphics will mess up (screen stops responding, turns a bright color, usually, green, there are rectangular shapes and bluish pixels that shake around) and maybe two or three seconds afterward the sound will stop working. This pretty much happens without fail. The GPU isn't totally broken or anything (I can run the Earth visualizer fine) and it's usually when I try to return to the XMB from something that it glitches out like this. Fuck.

This is a 60GB (not launch, bought it in april 2007) PS3 with cardreaders and PS2 emulation that I use quite a bit. How can I make sure that I get the same amount of functionality back from Sony when I send it in for repairs?

I thought wrapping it up in a towel and putting it in my checked baggage would keep it plenty safe, but I suspect that something may have been shaken loose :( :( :(

Chrange

Banned
Hinomura said:
That's really very kind of you both. I have this page, and it should be enough (italian language): http://www.parlamento.it/leggi/deleghe/02024dl.htm but more information is better.

By the way I've just received a call from Mediaworld, operator changed the subject from: "PS3 has more than 18months" to "Sony Service told us PS3 is no more under Sony warranty, we have several customer with this problem and everyone paid full price for servicing (!!!)".

I told her about the 24/2002 law she said: "You must ask Sony Service to fax/tell us the product is faulty and not broken by user; if they don't recognize the PS3 to be faulty you have to pay, and it's improbable they'll recognize it to be faulty; so do you want it back without servicing or are you going to pay?". I told her to wait I call Sony Service.

Is there a version of that law in Canada? My 60GB did the startup yellow to red blinking thing today and if I don't have to pay I'd really rather not.

Anton668

So, um, is my 40G PS3 dying a slow death? It would seem it's starting to have a problem reading disks. If I turn it on with a disk in or put a disk in after start up, it sometimes takes a few tries. But once its in, I can play, quit out and it'll read it. Its just that initial loading of the disk that sometimes gives me a prob. Is there a disk cleaner or something I can get like those for DVD players? Am I soon going to be out a PS3? It's a little over a year old.

rs7k

I didn't know PS3s had widespread failures. Anyways, I just purchased an 80GB PS3 from Best Buy a few days ago, last time I had a PS3 was at launch (20GB) and I remember it running much, much hotter than my new one.

Are new units different?

My6cats

Banned
rs7k said:
I didn't know PS3s had widespread failures. Anyways, I just purchased an 80GB PS3 from Best Buy a few days ago, last time I had a PS3 was at launch (20GB) and I remember it running much, much hotter than my new one.

Are new units different?
It looks like people are only having problems with the 60gb PS3

Pimpbaa

rs7k said:

Are new units different?

65nm cpu and gpu and the motherboard is much smaller. Completely different heatsink/fan on the new units too.

tass0

Banned
FirewalkR said:
BEHOLD NEOGAF, THE NEWS OF VICTORY THAT I BRING THEE:

Metalmurphy, who henceforth shall be known as Lawbringer or Vindicator depending on your persuasion, has achieved a victory the kind of which is reserved for the finest of NeoGAF'ers. The feat is made even more impressive given that he is, erm, temporarily acquainted with a "forum grave" and is awaiting resurrection. But I digress, NeoGAF! Hear hear, for it is a tale of GREAT justice!

Having seen his beloved 60GB EU PS3 whither and die quite some moons ago, our brave Metalmurphy went to the shope from whence he had acquired it. And what doth he hear, you ask, NeoGAF? "Oooh you must talk to Sony. You gotta deal with them directly." But NO, Metalmurphy stood strong and demanded to have his warranty dealt with by the store, as per his legal rights, in the country of Port'ugal. He left the premises, not to hear from them for about a month. Armed with only his unflinching courage (and a piece of paper containing "The LAW") he today, in this DAY of DAYS, went back to the shope and demanded his full €599 back. Yes, NeoGAF, you hear correctly, our brother demanded the full price as he paid for it ages ago. "Oooooooooh", the shope managers screamed. "This can't be, such a thing can't happen." "But it WILL happen.", resisted Metalmurphy. "Ooooooh but you bought it through credit, so you can't have such a value back." they retorted. "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA I laugh at your claims and MOCK your knowledge of 'The LAW' relentlessly", said Metalmurphy rubbing the managers noses in the relevant parts of "The LAW" with one hand while with his other hand pleasing THREE female store clerks at the same time. "You shall do these and ALL the other things I demand of thee, for even if I'm temporarily restrained, THIS. IS. NeoGAF!!!!!"

And Lo and Behold that in their panic the managers produced these spoils that our brave warrior, Metalmurphy, returned home with after a battle well fought, and better won:

PS3 KZ2 Combo - €400
PS2 - €120
Paper-Money - €70

hai. i iz also membar of emuforams :)

mujun

bought mine in dec 2006 (japanese 20gb).

died 1st time in march 2008, discs would keep spinning. i blew up at the customer service guy so it was free.

died 2nd time in march 2009, discs would keep spinning. cost 10,000 yen to repair. got it back with not only a new disc drive but also a new hdd. lost all my saves and shared games :(

Agent X

Gold Member
Add me to the growing list of victims.

I've got a 60 GB near-launch unit from November 2006. I turned it on last night, and saw that it failed to sign onto PSN. I signed on, and then my friends list loaded. I did a quick scan to see if anyone was playing Killzone 2 or Street Fighter IV so that I could possibly join in. No one was on either of those games, so I decided I'd play some LittleBigPlanet. Just as I grabbed the LBP case off of the shelf, I heard a couple of beeps and the system shut itself down.

After that, when I tried to turn on the system again, I got the dreaded "yellow light of death" problem where the power light would glow green for a second or two, then change to yellow for about half a second, emit a few beeps, and change again to a flashing red light. I tried several times to power on the system again, but it was fruitless, repeating the same sequence of lights.

I turned off the system from the power switch in back and unplugged it. This morning, I plugged it in and tried to start it up. The green light stayed on for about 30 seconds, but the screen remained blank. After that, the light changed to yellow, beeped a few times, and then changed to flashing red lights. A few subsequent attempts to power it on got the same problem as earlier (green for only 1-2 seconds before going to yellow and then flashing red).

I tried it again just now. Green light for 30 seconds, but screen remained blank, then yellow, then flashing red. Right after that, I tried again, green for about a second and then the same sequence of yellow and red.

I never did a full back up of the hard drive (as I don't have an external USB hard drive), although I periodically make individual backups of my saved game data to a USB flash drive. Last one I did was about a month ago, just before I got Killzone 2. Here are some questions I've got for those who have experience with this problem (preferably from the US as that's where I am):

1. Is there a chance I could get my original PS3 repaired and shipped back with the hard drive intact?

2. If they end up swapping out for a different unit, do you foresee any problems in restoring game saves from the USB flash drive to a different PS3 than the one I originally used? I've heard there are a few games whose saves aren't usable on a different system, even if you log on with the same PSN ID. Are there any notorious examples of this?

3. If Sony cannot repair my original PS3, then can they still deactivate it from PSN so I don't permanently lose one of my 5 allowed activations?

Stillmatic

So it's winding down on April 1st here in New Zealand, i get home and prepare to play some Killzone 2. Little did i know my PS3 was going to play a joke on me, which i didn't find funny. Turned it on and logged in, then my PS3 turns off. I turn it back on and the light is green, then yellow for half a second, then beeps 3 times with a flashing red light. :(

Launch 60g and i've never backed up my saves...gutted.

____

Agent X said:
Add me to the growing list of victims.

I've got a 60 GB near-launch unit from November 2006. I turned it on last night, and saw that it failed to sign onto PSN. I signed on, and then my friends list loaded. I did a quick scan to see if anyone was playing Killzone 2 or Street Fighter IV so that I could possibly join in. No one was on either of those games, so I decided I'd play some LittleBigPlanet. Just as I grabbed the LBP case off of the shelf, I heard a couple of beeps and the system shut itself down.

After that, when I tried to turn on the system again, I got the dreaded "yellow light of death" problem where the power light would glow green for a second or two, then change to yellow for about half a second, emit a few beeps, and change again to a flashing red light. I tried several times to power on the system again, but it was fruitless, repeating the same sequence of lights.

I turned off the system from the power switch in back and unplugged it. This morning, I plugged it in and tried to start it up. The green light stayed on for about 30 seconds, but the screen remained blank. After that, the light changed to yellow, beeped a few times, and then changed to flashing red lights. A few subsequent attempts to power it on got the same problem as earlier (green for only 1-2 seconds before going to yellow and then flashing red).

I tried it again just now. Green light for 30 seconds, but screen remained blank, then yellow, then flashing red. Right after that, I tried again, green for about a second and then the same sequence of yellow and red.

I never did a full back up of the hard drive (as I don't have an external USB hard drive), although I periodically make individual backups of my saved game data to a USB flash drive. Last one I did was about a month ago, just before I got Killzone 2. Here are some questions I've got for those who have experience with this problem (preferably from the US as that's where I am):

1. Is there a chance I could get my original PS3 repaired and shipped back with the hard drive intact?

2. If they end up swapping out for a different unit, do you foresee any problems in restoring game saves from the USB flash drive to a different PS3 than the one I originally used? I've heard there are a few games whose saves aren't usable on a different system, even if you log on with the same PSN ID. Are there any notorious examples of this?

3. If Sony cannot repair my original PS3, then can they still deactivate it from PSN so I don't permanently lose one of my 5 allowed activations?

1) nope. they're going to send you a refurbished 60GB with a 90 day warranty. when you put your old HDD back in, it'll ask you to do a format. your data is sadly gone.

2) only one I personally know of is Killzone 2, but I'm sure I heard of others

3) Yea, they can deactivate your system, but some reps try to avoid doing it. I'm sure with a little firmness, they'll do it without a problem.

(Speaking from North America)

MightyKAC

Well I'm happy to report that I got my PS3 in day before yesterday and she seems to be working like a true champ. Disks are reading just fine, all my old info on the HDD is still there and they even repaired a bit of (ahem) "battle damage" the unit had before I shipped it in. If I were to complain about anything it would be that chassis seems like it wasn't reconnected correctly at the corner where the power button is located. So if I wanted to turn it off or on I'd have to push the button down a bit harder than usual. But hey, I'm just glad to have my baby back. And the whole thing was A LOT faster than I expected.

Kudos to you Sony.

Krelian

____ said:
1) nope. they're going to send you a refurbished 60GB with a 90 day warranty. when you put your old HDD back in, it'll ask you to do a format. your data is sadly gone.
Quick question about this. Assuming I'd be in the same situation but made a backup of my data, would it be possible to restore it on the new system?

Dammit. I think my 60GB is on it's way out.

I was playing some RE5 this morning and it shutdown with some beeps and a flashing red power light. The controller wasn't responding but still lit up, so I pressed the power button on the console and the flashing red light went solid like it's normal standby state. I tried turning it on and loading up RE5 again but a few seconds into a level it shutdown again with the beeps and flashing light. I didn't notice a yellow light, but I didn't know enough to look for that until I read some of this tread.

I'm going to leave it off for a while and try to backup my HD on a USB stick and then restore my original HD (I've since upgraded to a 250GB) in case it dies and I have to send it in.

Question that's probably already answered, but I didn't see it: If I get a refurbished unit, will my HD backup install to that, or is it paired to my system and won't work? I don't want to lose my locked saves and have to unlock everything in SF4 and RE5 again.

Killthee

Krelian said:
Quick question about this. Assuming I'd be in the same situation but made a backup of my data, would it be possible to restore it on the new system?
ThirstyFly said:
Question that's probably already answered, but I didn't see it: If I get a refurbished unit, will my HD backup install to that, or is it paired to my system and won't work? I don't want to lose my locked saves and have to unlock everything in SF4 and RE5 again.
If there copy protected you won't be able to restore them.

Killthee said:
If there copy protected you won't be able to restore them.

Not true. All of my un-copyable saves were restored after I replaced my HDD and ran the restore utility. Those saves just can't be backed up individually.

edit: The "copyright-protected data" files in the manual are referring to DRM-encrypted video downloads I believe.

Killthee

Valkyr Junkie said:
Not true. All of my un-copyable saves were restored after I replaced my HDD and ran the restore utility. Those saves just can't be backed up individually.

edit: The "copyright-protected data" files in the manual are referring to DRM-encrypted video downloads I believe.
You restored it to the same system right? You can restore copy protected data when you restore it to the same system that created it. The question they were asking was if it was possible to restore copy protected saves to a new system/refurb, in which case:

Killthee said:
You restored it to the same system right? You can restore copy protected data when you restore it to the same system that created it. The question they were asking was if it was possible to restore copy protected saves to a new system/refurb, in which case:

Crap, that's what I expected. Thanks for the detailed answer.

Guess it doesn't matter anyway... I tried turning it on today to backup whatever I could and deactivate the machine, but I couldn't access my account because it wouldn't let me login to my profile without downloading today's firmware update. Great friggin' timing, Sony. It died again after a few minutes and now it won't power on at all. Yellow light of death :(

At least I got my RE5 disc out yesterday after the initial crashes.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Ah, balls, add another one to the list. My precious PAL 60GB from December 2007.

Console works fine but it won't read any discs. Just as I got Quantum of Solace and the Rambo box set for cheap on Bluray.

GuessWho

Ps3 died :(
lasted a little over a year, which is pretty sad cuz my launch console 360 outlasted it. The bluray laser died, which is fuckn pathetic and now they want 170$ from me. The ps3 is just as badly built as the 360. I know 3 people who have ps3's and they all had hardware failures.
This gen is total ass.

Q-bert

Banned
So... my launch 20GB died for the second time today. The first time it died, it was under warranty.

I looked, but it didn't seem to be a topic people were discussing: is there consensus as far as $150 repair vs. just buying new?

The way it's been going, I would expect just 12-18 months out of the $150 repair.

Q-bert said:
So... my launch 20GB died for the second time today. The first time it died, it was under warranty.

I looked, but it didn't seem to be a topic people were discussing: is there consensus as far as $150 repair vs. just buying new?

The way it's been going, I would expect just 12-18 months out of the $150 repair.

I'm kind of considering that right now. A new one is what, $400? I don't what to have to drop $170 CDN and lose all my locked game saves every year and a half if this is what it's going to be like to upkeep my 60GB.

I'd like to keep a system with BC, but honestly, I don't really use it and I'd rather have a system that's going to be more reliable.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rs7k said:

Are new units different?
Well they usually give you 2 years and warning signs. ;)

I have a 60GB so I'm wary, but nothing has come up yet.

Top Bottom