• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sim City DS!!!!!!!!!!

Koren

Really really good news... I like both versions, even if they are quite different.

DavidDayton said:
While this is good, what about Theme Park?
I'd rather have Rollercoaster Tycoon (an update of the first one, for example, since 2 is not as good and 3 won't run on DS). Theme park series haven't aged well.

Deku

Banned
Since this one will have a template to go by, admiteddly not the best Sim City (that would be SC4), the task should be easier for the devs. The real question is which studio they are farming this out to and or if EA is having Maxis work on this internally as part of their increased focus on DS strategy. The big uncertianly is who gets to develop this and not that EA is publishing. If they pick a good studio or if Maxis handles aspects of this internally, it might be worth it to pick up.

Edit: scratch that. Short of this game being a disaster, I'd love to have a portable Sim City that isn't a crippled version of SC2000 or an aged original Sim City or a SC clone.

Deku

Banned
Mr. Pointy said:
I'm hoping it's a heavily upgraded version of Sim City 2000. I think it would work quite well on the DS.

Its based on 3000. Not my favorite, and I think 3000 wasn't as good a game as 2000 for its time. But with SC games being somewhat dependent on linear progression (ie: 2000 had better simulation algorithms than 1 and more features and 3000 had improved simulation over 2000) I'd take it.

Mr_Moogle

jesusraz said:
If Sim City does well, perhaps they'll bring Theme Hospital...

Theme Hospital kicked ass. I still remember that hilarious animation of people with inflated heads having their heads popped and re-inflated to normal size.

I spent so many hours playing that game but it got quite hard in the later levels.

ethelred

Well, I guess EA was serious about trying to put more software on the DS that's appropriate for the DS instead of just multiplatform shovelware.

jesusraz said:
Now here's a question: Was Bullfrog merely absorbed, or completely shut down?

shut down, don't think there are many Bullfrog people left at EA, quite a few at Lionhead though.

My dream of a new theme hospital will never come to fruition me thinks.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Koren said:
I'd rather have Rollercoaster Tycoon (an update of the first one, for example, since 2 is not as good and 3 won't run on DS).
Agreed a thousandfold.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Awesome news, but like others said, I hope they keep it fairly simple... One of my favorite game series and just perfect for the DS. There *WAS* that Sim City 64DD game that came out... maybe it has something to do with this?

you guys are living in Nostalgia Land. I recently had the SNES version of sim city on my calculator, it's not nearly as fun as you remember. 2000 or later plz

Meier

reminder said:
It is based on Sim City 3000 and it's coming from EA...

I liked some of the stuff in 3000, but I hope they take some of the new advancements in 4 and mix them in. 3000 was ridiculously difficult with all the micromanagement involved -- definitely more so than even SC4 which has quite a bit of it. Sim City on the SNES was great, but it was pretty much mandatory to leave it on overnight to make any amount of money. Glad it was my friend doing it on his and not my own system. :lol

As a Sim City lifer, I can't wait. :D

White Man said:
Um, are you aware that there's an enormous quality leap between Sim CIty and Sim City 2000?

Thanks for representing on the not-totally-****ing-crazy tip here, White Man. Sim City 2000 is dramatically better realized than the original and definitely precedes the point in the franchise where you can make a reasonable argument for ruinous feature creep.

Koren said:
I'd rather have Rollercoaster Tycoon (an update of the first one, for example, since 2 is not as good and 3 won't run on DS). Theme park series haven't aged well.

Oh HELL yes. RCT on DS would rock mightily. I love the old game but I couldn't get it to work right on Windows XP. The original version has everything needed to entertain me for months.

Koomaster

Sim City keeps getting more and more complicated. While in some areas this is good, I also wish there was a simplier mode like the SNES. It had a lot of charm to it I think. Plus I would definitely want simplier graphics for a DS version.

3D on the DS is nice if it works right, but 2D efforts have proven much more beautiful. Plus I doubt that this game will get the full treatment on the DS so it will probably be rushed and slightly sloppy, so they might as well stick with a 2D/2.5D look instead of full out PC graphics.

Meier said:
I liked some of the stuff in 3000, but I hope they take some of the new advancements in 4 and mix them in. 3000 was ridiculously difficult with all the micromanagement involved -- definitely more so than even SC4 which has quite a bit of it.

Could anyone break down for me what the major changes in 3000 and 4 were? I played hell of SC2000 in my day and recall all the really cool upgrades from that (water lines, subways, variable terrain, etc.) pretty well, but I didn't follow the series closely after that.

Koomaster said:
Sim City keeps getting more and more complicated. While in some areas this is good, I also wish there was a simplier mode like the SNES. It had a lot of charm to it I think.

I think a version based on one of the newer, super-complex engines, but with an unlockable "classic mode" (complete with awesome SNES music) would be pretty hot.

neo2046

Sim City DS
- Nintendo DS
- 2006 Winter
- published by EA
- based on Simcity 3000
- 4 modes
--- New Mayor Born mode (main mode)
--- Save the City mode (mission clear type)
--- Collection Room (collection of the buildings / landmarks etc)
--- すれちがい通信 / Sleeping mode (exchanging messages and get new landmarks in some ways)

Deku

Banned
Koomaster said:
Sim City keeps getting more and more complicated. While in some areas this is good, I also wish there was a simplier mode like the SNES. It had a lot of charm to it I think. Plus I would definitely want simplier graphics for a DS version.

3D on the DS is nice if it works right, but 2D efforts have proven much more beautiful. Plus I doubt that this game will get the full treatment on the DS so it will probably be rushed and slightly sloppy, so they might as well stick with a 2D/2.5D look instead of full out PC graphics.

Will Wright said the same thing when asked to comment on Sim City 5. We can expect him to cut back on features and focus on the core idea more. He wasn't involved in SC4 directly either as he was busy working on The Sim 2. Although I greatly appreciate SC4, I do admit its a very complex game.

NotWii

Banned
I LOOOOOOOVE SIN CITY!
sin-city-jessica-alba-767310.jpg

Ranger X

Deku said:
Will Wright said the same thing when asked to comment on Sim City 5. We can expect him to cut back on features and focus on the core idea more. He wasn't involved in SC4 directly either as he was busy working on The Sim 2. Although I greatly appreciate SC4, I do admit its a very complex game.

While reading the thread i was actually thinking about Sim City 4 and how much more focused and well done it was. I would hope Sim City DS would be in the style of Sim City SNES or Sim City 4 really. :(
A game being complex is good as long as it's not COMPLICATED to play it. And this is the very definition of Sim City 4 imo.

mj1108

neo2046 said:
Sim City DS
- Nintendo DS
- 2006 Winter
- published by EA
- based on Simcity 3000
- 4 modes
--- New Mayor Born mode (main mode)
--- Save the City mode (mission clear type)
--- Collection Room (collection of the buildings / landmarks etc)
--- すれちがい通信 / Sleeping mode (exchanging messages and get new landmarks in some ways)

:(

Sad thing is, I'll end up buying it anyway....

It'd be cool if Nintendo let them use the Mario Statue.

I got Sim City 4 fairly recently and I agree it's too complicated. Sim City 2000/3000 level complexity is fine by me.

Hmmmm .... looks like this has some elements from Sim City 64 for the 64DD (which was a sequel to the SNES game):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimCity_64

SC64 is believed to be a sequel to Nintendo's SNES release of the original SimCity (1991), given several elements taken from the SNES version, including Dr. Wright, the city advisor, are found in SC64.

Now "Dr. Wright" is back for Sim City DS.

ElectricBlue187 said:
you guys are living in Nostalgia Land. I recently had the SNES version of sim city on my calculator, it's not nearly as fun as you remember. 2000 or later plz
Not really. Myself and a friend stayed up till 4am playing SNES Sim City one summer night. fu ftw.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
YES!!

I'd have preferred it to be based on 2000, but still, this is fantastic news. To me, SimCity is the epitome of a fantastic game for the DS.

gjb-sensei

Nintendo invented the pixel...
Amir0x said:
I've been wondering this for a while, but your avatar... what's it from?

This is going to sound really embarassing (for me), but I don't know... I just found this random image somewhere and decided to use it as my avatar because, well, she's pretty hot, for an anime girl, no?

Top Bottom