• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Martha Marcy May Marlene' Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice! Can't wait to see it again. If any of you have questions for the filmmakers, I'll be interviewing them in Toronto.

First Clip + theatrical poster:

poster-xlarge.jpg

http://content.foxsearchlight.com/inside/node/4976

10/21/11

NEW YORK
AMC Lincoln Square, New York, NY
Angelika Film Center, New York, NY

LOS ANGELES
The Landmark, Los Angeles, CA
Pacific Arclight Hollywood, Hollywood CA

10/28/11

TORONTO, ON
Varsity Theater, Toronto, ON

NEW YORK
AMC Empire, New York, NY

CHICAGO, IL
River East, Chicago, IL
Century Centre Cinema 7, Chicago IL

DALLAS/FT. WORTH, TX
Cinemark's West Plano, Plano, TX
Magnolia Cinema, Dallas TX

LOS ANGELES, CA
UTC, Irvine, CA

SAN DIEGO, CA
La Jolla VIllage 4, La Jolla, CA
Hillcrest Cinema, San Diego, CA

SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Metreon, San Francisco, CA

MORE DATES TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON!

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
That's a fantastic poster right there ;-) I don't get why I find Elizabeth Olsen so attractive, I find her sisters are ehh, and my only experience of seeing Elizabeth Olsen is the trailers for this film and some interviews from Sundance.

Beside that this movie has me hyped. Might convince a buddy to catch it with me at one of those LA early screenings.

Blader

Nabbed a Boston screening pass only to find out it's in Cambridge, not Boston. Typical. :\

Hopefully this and Take Shelter will actually go wide sometime soon.

Messi

Expendable, I have no idea what this movie is about since the first time you posted the trailer. but I am going to go see it just because you have amazing taste in movies, good job :p

Takuan

AbsoluteZero said:
Omigosh, what gene did she get that her sisters missed? She's gorgeous.
Wow, she's a pretty Maggie Gyllenhaal.

@Expendable Thanks for the screening links. I just secured two passes to the October 24 showing in Toronto.

Az987

all good things
Hmm.. I'll probably have to wait for the blu-ray because I don't think it's going to play anywhere close to me. Oh well

I'll definitely check it out when I can though, it looks good.

exarkun

just grabbed a Dallas one. Is this still with the Q/A session or are these now just regular screenings?

Edit:Realized the Q/A was only in Chicago. Damn. Anyway, gj plainview.

opens in TWO days! We were able to chat with some of the cast, check it out below and our theatrical review for one of the very best films of 2011.

[Interview] Elizabeth Olsen on ‘Martha Marcy May Marlene’

[Interview] John Hawkes on ‘Martha Marcy May Marlene’

[Review] Martha Marcy May Marlene

A number of noteworthy films on this year’s festival circuit have dealt with fear of impending doom. But while Lars Von Trier’s Melancholia and Jeff Nichols’ Take Shelter both center on possible prophets plagued by end of the world premonitions, first-time filmmaker Sean Durkin chose to craft a tale with smaller stakes, but greater impact with Martha Marcy May Marlene.

Grade = A

Find out where you can see it here.

Solo said:
Duh, thats what I'm saying! You dont see her face, so it could be trickery.

Oh wait, you've seen the movie?

I really, really, really hope people aren't watching the version that leaked online. It is missing the vital final fifteen minutes and can't imagine not seeing this one in theaters.

Divius

Want to watch almost solely based on Expendable.'s praise, but it opens here March 29th :/

I know there's a screener out there but apparently it is missing footage. edit: lol beaten.

Blader

Expendable. said:
Oh wait, you've seen the movie?

I really, really, really hope people aren't watching the version that leaked online. It is missing the vital final fifteen minutes and can't imagine not seeing this one in theaters.

I kinda think the last 15 minutes are vital to any movie. :lol

okno

I was about to FREAK since I can't make either showings on the 21st in NYC, but I then re-read it and saw the 28th and breathed a very big sigh of relief. This has been my most anticipated movie of the entire year. Cannot WAIT to see this!

edit: Fuck balls, it's exactly where I thought it was :mad: I was hoping there was a different AMC Empire in NYC, but this is the one two streets from my apartment and is an absolute shit hole. Oh well! It'll be worth it. Wish I could see it at the Angelika, instead, but what can you do!

Blader5489 said:
I kinda think the last 15 minutes are vital to any movie. :lol

Certainly not ANY movie. You should always finish a film if you are going to critique it, but VITAL? Off the top of my head I would have been fully OK walking out of the last 15 minutes of these recent movies if I wasn't going to review them afterwards:

ugnAg.jpg
UQ4rYl.jpg

brianjones said:
elizabeth-olsen-300x430.jpg

hubba hubba

Q expendable: would this be an awkward movie to watch with mom?

There are definitely a few very, very awkward scenes. So yes, I would say so.

Gribbix

I saw it on Friday. Really great film. I went in having almost no knowledge of the film and having not seen any trailers. I was only aware of a very general, positive buzz surrounding it coupled with an interesting premise. It reinforced how much more I enjoy watching films when I don't know much about them beforehand.
I read some reviews after watching the film and I'm sure I would have built up expectations regarding the ending (which was excellent) had I read the reviews first.

The calm lake house setting contributed a great deal to the uneasy sense of dread throughout the film. I realize that's kind of a cheesy horror film cliche but it really works here.

The only thing that I found odd was how long it took Martha's sister to actually confront her regarding where she had been. Lucy slightly broaches the issue throughout the film but doesn't actually directly confront her about it until the very end of the film.

noah111

Still Alive
Gribbix said:
I saw it on Friday. Really great film. I went in having almost no knowledge of the film and having not seen any trailers. I was only aware of a very general, positive buzz surrounding it coupled with an interesting premise. It reinforced how much more I enjoy watching films when I don't know much about them beforehand.
Nice, looking forward to watching this as well. Know basically nothing about it, haven't seen any of the trailers. Thanks for the proper spoiler, don't want to know anything.

I've also been trying to avoid temptations and watch all new 'drama' or 'big' movies (i.e. not comedies etc) without little to no prior knowledge of them. Totally unbiased perception always wins.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Will check it out in Ottawa as soon as I can.
Or in Maui if it opens while I'm there.

Thanks for the thread, wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

Fox Searchlight's R-rated thriller "Martha Marcy May Marlene" grossed a solid $137,541 in four theaters this weekend for a per-screen average of $34,385, according to studio estimates.

Top 10 ltd debuts of the year!

For some reason, when I originally watched the trailer, I got the vibe that she was
not really running away from the guy on the farm, but still with him. And she was going to turn on her family.
The trailer was interesting enough to make me want to watch it to find out the "mystery" as to what tormented her so much.

Takuan

Watched this last night with an old high school buddy. Left feeling... affected. I don't like when films do what this one did, and I don't think I'll ever be compelled to see this again (except to confirm/disconfirm bits and pieces here and there out of personal curiosity because I'm still not sure what to make of it all) but as a whole it was a powerful movie. Terrific performances throughout. Elizabeth Olsen is awesome, and I wonder if her elder sisters harbor resentment toward her for already having a better acting career than they ever had.

Definitely not one for the masses, that's for sure.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I saw this movie last week and thought it was kinda meh. It does the creepiness / buildup pretty well, but nothing ever really happens with it. I usually dig slow movies, but this one was a little too slow. I was waiting for the climax, and it just sort of ends abruptly. The crowed definitely had an aura of wtfness with the credits started.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Expendable. said:
You may recognize John Hawkes from Winter's Bone and that is Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen's sister in a break-out, Oscar worthy role.

Or you know....Deadwood or Eastbound and Down.

Takuan

^ Hawkes killed this role.

Ermac said:
I saw this movie last week and thought it was kinda meh. It does the creepiness / buildup pretty well, but nothing ever really happens with it. I usually dig slow movies, but this one was a little too slow. I was waiting for the climax, and it just sort of ends abruptly. The crowed definitely had an aura of wtfness with the credits started.
Yep, same with my crowd. I wouldn't call it "meh", since it's really quite a good ride throughout, but to leave the viewer hanging like that is just not going to work for a lot of people.

I get that you're SUPPOSED to feel the way Martha does, but it still sucks not to get any closure.

Ermac

Takuan said:
^ Hawkes killed this role.

Yep, same with my crowd. I wouldn't call it "meh", since it's really quite a good ride throughout, but to leave the viewer hanging like that is just not going to work for a lot of people.

I get that you're SUPPOSED to feel the way Martha does, but it still sucks not to get any closure.

Was the dude sitting by the water at the end on of the boys from the cult? I couldn't tell, it was so quick.

Takuan

Ermac said:
Was the dude sitting by the water at the end on of the boys from the cult? I couldn't tell, it was so quick.
It didn't look like any of them to me, but I never paid any real attention to the men outside of the blonde, the moron, and Hawkes' character. I don't remember for sure, but early on when she goes swimming naked, I swear that you can barely see the opposite shore in the direction where Martha was staring when she sees the dude later on, so it's possible she might've imagined him. He was out of focus on purpose. Who the fuck knows, though, I was terrified for her and her "family" at the end before they cut to black.

Ermac

Expendable. said:
I heard I was quoted in a TV spot for Martha Marcy May Marlene. Anyone seen it? Someone said it was during Colbert last night.
lol as your name? Or "Neogaffer"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom