• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Martha Marcy May Marlene' Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had to create a thread for this, by far the best film of the year so far. Saw it at Sundance.

You may recognize John Hawkes from Winter's Bone and that is Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen's sister in a break-out, Oscar worthy role.

martha_marcy_image-650x266.png

TRAILER [HD] (streaming/embeddable here)

Director:
Sean Durkin
Cast: Elizabeth Olsen, Christopher Abbott, Brady Corbet, Hugh Dancy, Maria Dizzia, Julia Garner, John Hawkes, Louisa Krause, Sarah Paulson

poster-xlarge.jpg

Martha Marcy May Marlene hits theaters October 21st, 2011. It is also part of the Cannes Film Festival 2011 line-up.

_dementia said:
The Olsen twins' little sister is supposed to be pretty good in this

She is fantastic. The film has a unsettling Haneke vibe so I'll doubt it gets any real awards recognition unfortunately. I honestly haven't stopped thinking about it since I saw it in January.

FoneBone

Expendable. said:
I just had to create a thread for this, by far the best film of the year so far.
Suggestion for indie films like these: do your best to put a five-word blurb in the thread title. Almost nobody who hasn't already heard of the movie is actually going to click otherwise.

(No, that's not just about you, regardless of how much crap I give you.)

FoneBone said:
Suggestion for indie films like these: do your best to put a five-word blurb in the thread title. Almost nobody who hasn't already heard of the movie is actually going to click otherwise.

(No, that's not just about you, regardless of how much crap I give you.)

I thought about that, but the film's title is already so long.

Derwind

Expendable. said:
You do see her
naked
in the film, if that is any consolation.

Mmmmm....

I feel like that guy from Harold & Kumar who watches movies for the sake of seeing a nude shot. XD

Derwind said:
Mmmmm....

I feel like that guy from Harold & Kumar who watches movies for the sake of seeing a nude shot. XD

It's fantastic, but you will be shockingly disappointed if that's all you are expecting. Or surprised at how excellent the film is. Not sure tbh.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just saw the trailer. Looks like another movie to look forward to.

Also Elizabeth Olsen is hot. Didn't know the Olsen twins had a little sister until i heard about this movie a couple months ago. She also looks like a not drugged up version of the twins which is hot and she kind of reminds me of a young Vera Farmiga too
:p

AwesomeSauce said:
Just saw the trailer. Looks like another movie to look forward to.

Also Elizabeth Olsen is hot. Didn't know the Olsen twins had a little sister until i heard about this movie a couple months ago. She also looks like a not drugged up version of the twins which is hot and she kind of reminds me of a young Vera Farmiga too
:p

That's exactly what I said after I saw it. She also starred in another Sundance film, titled Silent House. It's a remake of a horror film, takes place all in a single take. I didn't like it much, but her tits are in every frame.

Messi

Watched the trailer and I have no idea what it is about. I would never have guessed that she is an olsen though.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Expendable. said:
That's exactly what I said after I saw it. She also starred in another Sundance film, titled Silent House. It's a remake of a horror film, takes place all in a single take. I didn't like it much, but her tits are in every frame.

Hmm the whole film is shot in a single take? That's impressive and maybe worth the price of admission just to see how their execution of it is. Also if she's naked in that movie too, that alone is also worth admission lol.

AwesomeSauce said:
Hmm the whole film is shot in a single take? That's impressive and maybe worth the price of admission just to see how their execution of it is. Also if she's naked in that movie too, that alone is also worth admission lol.

Clothed tits :( But they are something to behold. Yeah, it is from the Open Water directors. It is impressive, but kind of silly. Definitely glad I saw it.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Expendable. said:
her tits are in every frame.

The real Olsen twins.

Also thanks for the heads up on this one, added to queue, will check out in 2012.

big ander

Misanthropy said:
You tell us the name of a movie but you don't tell us what the premise is. How do we know it's oscar worthy?
Dude, the op has a full trailer in addition to a link to a review containing a synopsis.
Also, how does the premise have such a large impact on whether or not it's oscar worthy?

This also got announced as a NYFF selection and TIFF selection. Sundance, Cannes, NYFF and TIFF. That has got to be a record, insane.

Misanthropy said:
You tell us the name of a movie but you don't tell us what the premise is. How do we know it's oscar worthy?

It is seriously better without knowing anything. But if you want, it is about a girl who
comes out of a cult and tries to reacquaint to her normal life. It goes back and forth with flashbacks.

Denver screening added - http://partner.gofobo.com/rsvp/landing/2907931

6.jpg

@SeanMBurns:

MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE (2011, Durkin, 4 out of 4 stars)
There is so much tension within these compositions, I'm still having a minor anxiety attack.

good article for after you see it:

On the origins of ‘Martha Marcy May Marlene’

Sean Durkin’s stunning debut feature “Martha Marcy May Marlene” has been running a steady marathon in terms of buzz-building ahead of its late-October release: first came breathless critical plaudits and the Best Director prize at Sundance in January, while a well-received appearance in the Un Certain Regard strand at Cannes kept things humming through the summer lull.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
CaptYamato said:
I can't wait to move. This shit never goes down in Fresno.

Because it's Fresno...I didn't even know the place existed until I saw Tool there.

marthamarcymaymarlene034-M4_02627_thumb.jpg

Fox Searchlight is releasing two chilling new trailers for writer-director Sean Durkin’s Sundance hit Martha Marcy May Marlene—which will be screened at this fall’s Toronto and New York Film Festivals before its opening October 21—but it will be tough to find them. Searchlight isn’t presenting these trailers via your standard online portal premiere. Their access codes will be embedded in unusual ways that have not been tried before—keep your eyes peeled Friday.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompson...e_hunt_for_martha_marcy_may_marlene_trailers/

ciD_Vain said:
This movie looks great from the trailers and Olsen looks a lot more appealing than her sisters.

It really is a great movie and she is much more talented than her sisters, I would've never guessed that they were related.

big ander

This was so good. Direction, editing, and framing are all fucking top notch. They perfectly meld the
past/present/illusion/dream segments
and the unbalanced shots and tremendously nervous photography make the entire film mesmerizingly uneasy. Olsen is fantastic too.

Q&A after was fun, Durkin's a good guy and Lizzy Olsen is beautiful in person, too. I couldn't help but laugh at how bad this audience question was:
"Two questions, where are your sisters and what happened at the end because I don't...I'm confused, you know man?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom