• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Martha Marcy May Marlene' Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, it was one of my writers. Terrible quality, but here:

nvbb8.jpg

expansions this week!

10/28/11

TORONTO, ON
Varsity Theater, Toronto, ON

VANCOUVER, BC
Fifth Avenue Cinemas, Vancouver, BC

BOSTON, MA
Boston Commona and Imax,, Boston, MA
Coolidge Corner, Brookline, MA
Kendall Sq. Cinemas, Cambridge, MA

WASHINGTON, DC
Georgetown 14, Washington DC
Bethesda Row Cinemas, Bethesda, MD
E-Street Cinemas, Washington, DC

NEW YORK
AMC Empire, New York, NY

PHILADELPHIA, PA
Ritz Five, Philadelphia, PA
Rave Ritz Center, Voorhees, NJ

CHICAGO, IL
River East, Chicago, IL
Century Centre Cinema 7, Chicago IL

DALLAS/FT. WORTH, TX
Cinemark's West Plano, Plano, TX
Magnolia Cinema, Dallas TX

LOS ANGELES, CA
UTC, Irvine, CA
Playhouse, Pasedena, CA
Pacific Arcilght Beach Cities, El Segundo, CA
Pacific Arclight Sherman Oaks, Sherman Oaks, CA

SAN DIEGO, CA
La Jolla VIllage 4, La Jolla, CA
Hillcrest Cinema, San Diego, CA

SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Metreon, San Francisco, CA
Kabuki, San Francisco, CA

SEATLE/TACOMA, WA
Pacific Place, Seattle, WA
Lincoln Square Cinema, Bellevue, WA

11/4/11

ATLANTA, GA
AUSTIN, TX
BALTIMORE, MD
DENVER, CO
DETROIT, MI
HARTFORD, CT
HOUSTON, TX
INDIANAPOLIS, IN
MINNEAPOLIS, MN
MONTERREY, CA
MONTREAL, QC
PALM SPRINGS, CA
PORTLAND, OR
SANTA BARBARA, CA
ST. LOUIS, MO

Are Elizabeth Olsen and Carey Mulligan paving way for new nudity?

For the last couple weeks, Carey Mulligan was making the rounds to help publicize her soon-to-be-released film "Shame" before heading off to Australia to work on Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of "The Great Gatsby." In the NC-17 "Shame," directed by Steve McQueen, Mulligan plays the younger sister of a man (Michael Fassbender) with a crippling sex addiction, which seems to be the result of some shared trauma between them. In one particular scene, which audiences seem to respond to as equal parts disturbing and disarming, he discovers her in his apartment using his shower. Her bold refusal to cover up as he talks to her is a signature point in the film.

A few weeks back when Elizabeth Olsen was in Los Angeles for a whirlwind promotional tour for "Martha Marcy May Marlene," the 22-year-old perked up when a conversation turned to the 26-year-old Mulligan. (It should perhaps be noted that both "Martha Marcy May Marlene" and "Shame" are being distributed by Fox Searchlight Pictures.)

big ander

Interesting article, but I feel like it's been the case for a long time that as long as actors/actresses strip in roles that actually necessitate it they won't be pigeonholed.

NYC'ers: See it at 7:10 at Lincoln Square or 8:20 at the Angelika, and stay for a post-film Q+A with writer/director Durkin and producers Antonio Campos and Josh Mond.

awesome article about them:

Hollywood on the L Train

The under-30 Williamsburg filmmaking collective behind the new Elizabeth Olsen movie.

cultopener111024_560.jpg

Saw this for the first time since Sundance 10 months ago. Definitely still love the film, but the last third felt a bit happenstance the way it was structured. Shame definitely slid up to my #2 as a greater piece of work, but glad I rewatched it. Olsen is still by far the best female performance of the year.

Barrett2

Man, how dumb was that ending? The whole final 25 minutes got so overly manipulative with the audience, IMO. If that thing kept going another 15 minutes, fucking
Jigsaw
would have shown up.

Strong acting performances. Overall enjoyed it, but I hated the final 25 minutes.

big ander

The ending was perfect and was required to drive home the message that
a cult experience is something you can never escape.

Barrett2

big ander said:
The ending was perfect and was required to drive home the message that
a cult experience is something you can never escape.

It was cheesy as Hell, IMO. I felt like the entire final 20 min was the director unnecessarily beating the audience over the head with a baseball bat in case anyone was too dumb to pick up on every element they had been communicating the previous hour.

But man, is Hawkes ever not a completely mesmerizing presence in a film? That dude is incredible.

- Also, im' confused about some of the logic in the movie. Once we learn that the
cult murders people, it makes sense that they literally can't let anyone leave, because as soon as someone leaves and talks to the cops, everyone at the cult is looking at life in prison. Yet when Martha initially escaped, the security was so lax to prevent that kind of thing, they only just barely were able to track her to the coffee shop after the fact, and she was able to give the guy the slip somehow?
That.... doesn't make sense.

One thing I noticed a second time: At the
cult their only meal is dinner, so when she comes home she isn't hungry in the morning.

lawblob said:
Has the Olsen girl been in much other stuff? She was really good. Every role in the film was really well acted, IMO.

I've seen her two other films. One is a one-take/shot horror remake called Silent House (hitting theaters March 2012) from the people that made Open Water. It is superrrrrrr gimmicky, but you get to see her cleavage for about 1.5 hours. She doesn't have much to do except scream.

Then there is Peace, Love and Misunderstanding which is pretty terrible. By-the-numbers family film that she has a minor supporting role in.

But she is in Red Lights next with Robert De Niro from the guy that made Buried. Then Josh Radnor's Liberal Arts...both should hit theaters next year.

big ander

lawblob said:
It was cheesy as Hell, IMO. I felt like the entire final 20 min was the director unnecessarily beating the audience over the head with a baseball bat in case anyone was too dumb to pick up on every element they had been communicating the previous hour.

But man, is Hawkes ever not a completely mesmerizing presence in a film? That dude is incredible.

- Also, im' confused about some of the logic in the movie. Once we learn that the
cult murders people, it makes sense that they literally can't let anyone leave, because as soon as someone leaves and talks to the cops, everyone at the cult is looking at life in prison. Yet when Martha initially escaped, the security was so lax to prevent that kind of thing, they only just barely were able to track her to the coffee shop after the fact, and she was able to give the guy the slip somehow?
Maybe you thought it was heavy-handed, but I saw it with a Q&A afterwards and you'd be surprised at how many people completely did not get the message at all and were throwing confused questions at Durkin. I thought it was very tactfully done.
Yeah, Hawkes was captivating and Olsen matched him in every scene, I think. Pretty amazing.
It's been a while since I saw it, but was
murder a regular thing? I thought it was a partially accidental consequence of that one break-in. Either way, the security was that relaxed because Patrick assumes that every member is fully devoted to him and the cult. Nearly all of them were.
Expendable. said:
One thing I noticed a second time: At the
cult their only meal is dinner, so when she comes home she isn't hungry in the morning.
Very cool, did not pick up on this.
EDIT

Expendable. said:
I've seen her two other films. One is a one-take/shot horror remake called Silent House (hitting theaters March 2012) from the people that made Open Water. It is superrrrrrr gimmicky, but you get to see her cleavage for about 1.5 hours. She doesn't have much to do except scream.

Then there is Peace, Love and Misunderstanding which is pretty terrible. By-the-numbers family film that she has a minor supporting role in.

But she is in Red Lights next with Robert De Niro from the guy that made Buried. Then Josh Radnor's Liberal Arts...both should hit theaters next year.
I've read a little bit about Red Lights and Peace, Love and Misunderstanding. Didn't know the second of those was out and I probably won't see it, but I'm very excited for Red Lights.
Didn't know Radnor had a second feature coming though. I...didn't really like Happythankyoumoreplease. But I didn't hate it either, so I'll be watching for Liberal Arts.

One other thing I picked up on second viewing:
the murder must have happened right before she left the cult since the oldest lady at the cult slaps her (ear?) when making dinner and then Martha's sister said she noticed the bruise when she picked her up.

big ander said:
I've read a little bit about Red Lights and Peace, Love and Misunderstanding. Didn't know the second of those was out and I probably won't see it, but I'm very excited for Red Lights.
Didn't know Radnor had a second feature coming though. I...didn't really like Happythankyoumoreplease. But I didn't hate it either, so I'll be watching for Liberal Arts.

I saw Peace, Love and Misunderstanding at TIFF this year. It doesn't have distribution yet and not sure it will. And I'm with you on Happythankyoumoreplease. Very middle of the road.

Takuan

big ander said:
Maybe you thought it was heavy-handed, but I saw it with a Q&A afterwards and you'd be surprised at how many people completely did not get the message at all and were throwing confused questions at Durkin. I thought it was very tactfully done.
Yeah, Hawkes was captivating and Olsen matched him in every scene, I think. Pretty amazing.
It's been a while since I saw it, but was
murder a regular thing? I thought it was a partially accidental consequence of that one break-in. Either way, the security was that relaxed because Patrick assumes that every member is fully devoted to him and the cult. Nearly all of them were.

Very cool, did not pick up on this.
I don't imagine it was a regular thing, but it was to show
both the extremes he'd go to in order to protect his group, and the degree to which he had brainwashed his followers.

Did anyone catch
the suggestion that they "get rid" of female babies?

lawblob said:
Once we learn that the
It's possible that
the guy who went to check up on her just didn't think she'd leave. It can be presumed it was the first time she had attempted an escape. It was also clear they had somewhat of a relationship, and he was never shown to be abusive, or threatening the way Patrick could be.

Expendable. said:
One other thing I picked up on second viewing:
the murder must have happened right before she left the cult since the oldest lady at the cult slaps her (ear?) when making dinner and then Martha's sister said she noticed the bruise when she picked her up.
I thought it was clear throughout the movie that
the flashbacks were shown in chronological order, from beginning to end. The murder was the catalyst for her escape, and in washroom scene with Hawkes you see how she got the bruise on her leg. She probably left the next morning, or recently enough after that memory for the bruise to still show.

Maybe I'll go through it a second time. I'm thinking that
it was probably the cult at the end, and it was going to be bad news bears for the lot of them... but at the same time, I'm having trouble believing they were able to figure out when they were leaving the where they were headed.
I really should watch it again.

this is awesome!!
BORDERLINE FILMS SIGNS FIRST LOOK DEAL WITH FOX SEARCHLIGHT PICTURES

MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE Filmmakers et Up Shingle at Fox Searchlight Pictures

LOS ANGELES, CA, November 3, 2011 - Fox Searchlight Pictures Presidents Stephen Gilula and Nancy Utley announced today that Borderline Films, the creative team behind the critically acclaimed psychological thriller MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE, and Fox Searchlight Pictures have signed a two-year, first-look deal. Borderline Films is the partnership of Antonio Campos, Sean Durkin and Josh Mond. Currently in theatres, MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE, Durkin's feature debut, was picked up by Fox Searchlight at this year's Sundance Film Festival and was the winner of the Dramatic Feature Directing Award. The film went on to play such key festivals as Festival de Cannes, Toronto International Film Festival and New York Film Festival just to name a few.

Says Borderline Films: "Fox Searchlight is an ideal home for our company. This partnership allows us to take the momentum we've built since launching Borderline in 2003 to an entirely new level. Over the years, we've worked very hard to create a support structure which offers us the ability, resources and independence to grow as filmmakers, both individually and collectively. We're excited and grateful that Fox Searchlight, who recognizes our company's dynamic model and has already been an incredible partner, will continue to be invested in Borderline's upcoming projects."

Utley and Gilula state: "Sean, Antonio and Josh are an exciting talent collective with unique voices and a bold vision. They are not afraid to challenge audiences with thought provoking films. We are thrilled to be in business with them and look forward to a very creative partnership."

Borderline was represented by David Flynn at United Talent Agency, Melissa Breaux at Washington Square Arts and by attorney Peter Nelson from the law firm of Nelson Davis & Wetzstein, LLP. Fox Searchlight was represented by Senior Vice President Megan O'Brien. Zola Mashariki, Senior Vice President of Production, will oversee Borderline's production slate.

A New York-based feature film production company, Borderline Films was formed in 2003 by Tisch film school alums Campos, Durkin and Mond. Rotating the roles of writer, director and producer, the three filmmakers have earned acclaim around the world for their stylized and original films.

Borderline's first feature film, AFTERSCHOOL, a riveting look at the dark side of youth in the media age written and directed by Antonio Campos and produced by Mond and Durkin, premiered at the 2008 Cannes Film Festival in Un Certain Regard. The film went on to screen at numerous other festivals around the world including New York, London, and Berlin. AFTERSCHOOL was released theatrically by IFC Films and was nominated for Best First Feature by the Independent Spirit Awards and Breakthrough Director for Campos by the Gotham Awards.

Borderline's latest film, the critically acclaimed psychological thriller MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE, was recently nominated for three Gotham Awards: Sean Durkin for Breakthrough Director, Elizabeth Olsen for Breakthrough Performance and Best Ensemble.

Other acclaimed Borderline projects include: BUY IT NOW, Borderline's first short film directed by Campos which won the Cinefondation prize at Cannes in 2005; writer-director Alistair Banks Griffin's lyrical feature film TWO GATES OF SLEEP which premiered at Cannes Directors Fortnight in 2010; MARY LAST SEEN, Sean Durkin's short film which won Best Short at Cannes Directors Fortnight in 2010; and Josh Mond's highly praised music video for the hit Mayday Parade song KIDS IN LOVE which was shown at the 2011 SXSW Film Festival.

Fox Searchlight Pictures is a specialty film company that both finances and acquires motion pictures. It has its own marketing and distribution operations, and its films are distributed internationally by Twentieth Century Fox. Fox Searchlight Pictures is a unit of Fox Filmed Entertainment, a unit of Fox Entertainment Group.

President Obama AND Hugh Hefner ordered prints!

You’d think that President Obama would want to watch a popcorn flick upon returning from the G20 summit in France. But the commander in chief and Michelle Obama are ready for more serious fare instead. The White House this week ordered a print of “Martha Marcy May Marlene,” starring Elizabeth Olsen, film insiders say. The “other” Olsen sister has been getting buzz as a woman who escapes a creepy commune. (In other words, the movie’s not appropriate for Malia and Sash a.) The White House isn’t the only iconic spot the picture’s been seen: Hugh Hefner just held a screening at the Playboy Mansion. A White House rep didn’t get back to us.

Saw the movie earlier tonight and I have mixed feelings with regard to the Martha character

On one hand, she's going through a lot of deep shit. Stuff that you just know someone is gonna bottle up inside themselves and refuse to share with any rational person should they reach their breaking point. That's something I can understand.

On the other hand, I just have very little sympathy for her. Her decisions and behavior just screams someone who has no real grasp of the real world or logic for that matter. But I guess that's the point when you're part of a cult. You drink the "Kool-Aid". She made her choices and to put it bluntly, she got what she deserved. I was really hoping she would just tell her sister what's really wrong with her, but she clearly didn't have the willpower to do it, and just decides to antagonize those who didn't have to take care of her but did it anyway to help her improve her life.

As for the ending, I will say that it left me saying "WTF".
I do believe the person in the other vehicle was part of the cult, but the abruptness of the ending itself did turn me off. Maybe I'm just use to movies having at least some form of resolution, but the way this movie ended just upsets me. I know it's supposed to lead to several questions, but I feel it leads to too many questions

Overall, I give the movie a B+

big ander

I still feel like the way the movie ended was the only possible way it could have ended.
I don't think those were cult members in the van. The point was that Martha thought they were, and she'd continue thinking she was surrounded by cult members at all points. The message: a cult experience never leaves you.

Also, why did Martha deserve everything? I may have forgotten, but I thought the earliest point we saw was when she had just joined the cult and didn't know what it was. What about it made her deserve the later sexual assault and brainwashing and forced participation in murder?

big ander said:
I still feel like the way the movie ended was the only possible way it could have ended.
I don't think those were cult members in the van. The point was that Martha thought they were, and she'd continue thinking she was surrounded by cult members at all points. The message: a cult experience never leaves you.

Also, why did Martha deserve everything? I may have forgotten, but I thought the earliest point we saw was when she had just joined the cult and didn't know what it was. What about it made her deserve the later sexual assault and brainwashing and forced participation in murder?

The rape I'll give you. That's something she never expected, especially since she was in a foreign environment. But you would think after a day or two, she would realize that something is very, very wrong and bailed at the very instant she had the chance. Instead, she bought into what the others were spewing and made her choice. And as for the murder, that crosses the line? Not when you get sexually assaulted? Not when you aid in the sexual assault of another female? I'm sorry, but you made your decision and your stuck with those consequences. Whatever happens to you, you brought it upon yourself and gotta live with it. One thing I was hoping would happen: Lucy would just slap Martha, especially after the "terrible mother" comment.

big ander

lazybones18 said:
The rape I'll give you. That's something she never expected, especially since she was in a foreign environment. But you would think after a day or two, she would realize that something is very, very wrong and bailed at the very instant she had the chance. Instead, she bought into what the others were spewing and made her choice. And as for the murder, that crosses the line? Not when you get sexually assaulted? Not when you aid in the sexual assault of another female? I'm sorry, but you made your decision and your stuck with those consequences. Whatever happens to you, you brought it upon yourself and gotta live with it. One thing I was hoping would happen: Lucy would just slap Martha, especially after the "terrible mother" comment.
She bought into what the cult was saying because their rhetoric is specifically designed to brainwash people. I'm not saying Martha was justified in what she did, but you're saying "oh yeah, she got what's coming to her". ...no.
And the fact that you think it's her fault she was pulled into those other two because she should have had a revelation after she was sexually assault demonstrates a fairly bad grasp of what the mind of a sexual assault victim, let alone a cult brainwashing victim, is like.

I felt bad for Lucy too, but not to the point where I wanted her to strike back against Martha. Their entire family was hurt and saying it's all Martha's fault is, frankly, a little gross to me.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
yea, im pretty torn on this one. i dug some of the overall themes. the 'marcys song' scene was really great. but, ehhhh

one of the themes has to be the blurring of the lines between these two societies. the movie spent 75 minutes showing us this crazy cult and comparing it to a rather 'desired' lifestyle while slowly convincing us that maybe she should just go back to the cult. to the point where it even makes sense to the audience when she calls back 'home' to the cult. sure, we see her hang up and freak out, but that internal battle was basically the entire movie. we get the impression she's thinking 'it wasnt so bad there, i dont fit in here. they're going to put me in a crazy house, maybe i should go back' and the audience totally falls for that and could understand a decision to return. to get the audience to that point is a pretty powerful and impressive thing to pull off in a film...

now throw all of that out the window in the final 15 minutes by making them violent murderers who we can no longer understand or sympathize with. they dont sell their quilts to be self sufficient, they rob vacation homes. now they're a monster, they're the enemy. they're stalkers and murderers and now they're out to kill her family to get her back. any sympathy built up for those caught up in the cult lifestyle is gone, obviously the american bourgeois lifestyle is good and the cult is evil, how could we ever think differently?

swoon

yea, im pretty torn on this one. i dug some of the overall themes. the 'marcys song' scene was really great. but, ehhhh

one of the themes has to be the blurring of the lines between these two societies. the movie spent 75 minutes showing us this crazy cult and comparing it to a rather 'desired' lifestyle while slowly convincing us that maybe she should just go back to the cult. to the point where it even makes sense to the audience when she calls back 'home' to the cult. sure, we see her hang up and freak out, but that internal battle was basically the entire movie. we get the impression she's thinking 'it wasnt so bad there, i dont fit in here. they're going to put me in a crazy house, maybe i should go back' and the audience totally falls for that and could understand a decision to return. to get the audience to that point is a pretty powerful and impressive thing to pull off in a film...

now throw all of that out the window in the final 15 minutes by making them violent murderers who we can no longer understand or sympathize with. they dont sell their quilts to be self sufficient, they rob vacation homes. now they're a monster, they're the enemy. they're stalkers and murderers and now they're out to kill her family to get her back. any sympathy built up for those caught up in the cult lifestyle is gone, obviously the american bourgeois lifestyle is good and the cult is evil, how could we ever think differently?

i really can't believe the film goes out of their way to explain
that her sister couldn't really take care of her at the time and doesn't seem that they are that bad of people if you don't mind 1%ers. like what would you do if your brother said you'd be an awful parent? shouldn't she go to a home? shouldn't she talk to her family openingly? like the husband isn't wrong, just has a bad tone.

and its a weird that these emotional conversations are morally equal to rape and emotional abuse that goes on at the cult. and then the stupid robberies and murders/gunplay really?

the idea of motherhood in the movie is absurd also - marcy is ashamed of not becoming a mother, real mothers are absent and the sister is trying to become a mother but smokes and drinks. it's handle like how little boys handle their mother issues - not how women handle mother issues, which i guess makes sense considering how awful the director films olson and how ugly and boring and morally childish this movie is.

Saw this and thought it was great. I wish there would have been more explanation as to why she joined the cult initially though.

I liked it, but didn't love it. I think a lot of that had to do with my expectation of where the film would go and it deciding not to really go anywhere beyond what is explored in the first act. That isn't to say that is isn't wholly mesmerizing and unnerving. A thriller without the sensibilities of one that is is more unsettling because of it. Could have done without that ending which just muddled everything I felt it had built toward.

Olsen was great.

Ventrue

I saw this today and I really liked it. I think I didn't completely 'get it' until a while after watching it, but it was certainly gripping and pretty scary. I feel the ending was really necessary to the meaning of the film.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I liked it, but didn't love it. I think a lot of that had to do with my expectation of where the film would go and it deciding not to really go anywhere beyond what is explored in the first act. That isn't to say that is isn't wholly mesmerizing and unnerving. A thriller without the sensibilities of one that is is more unsettling because of it. Could have done without that ending which just muddled everything I felt it had built toward.

Olsen was great.
I agree on everything except the ending. I thought it was a pretty effective metaphor about
how the experience is going to keep on following her for the rest of her life.

The movie definitely needed more ideas to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom