• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct] Nintendo, of all people, get DLC right? (NSMB2)

Dizzy-4U

Yeah, I can't remember playing a game that felt incomplete without a DLC. It's always adding something optional. Don't know where people got this whole "selling half a game and selling the other half per DLC"-notion from.
Asura's Wrath?

I'm halfway through the game so don't quote me on that but I read here that the final DLC is like the "true ending".

Thoughts? It's fucking awful. Nintendo fails at the internet.

They leave out the good stuff (online play).

And they promote the bad stuff (DLC).

Sure, for right now, they're saying that they won't leave anything out, but we have zero way of knowing. And that's why the DLC model sucks for consumers. If they don't leave anything out now, they might eventually. DLC encourages it. Why include content when you can make money off it later? It's only a matter of time.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
and I don't believe a word of it. Everybody can say everything they want, that doesn't automatically mean it's true.

Speaking of which, were we supposed to get some MK7 dlc, or was that just talk?

I would love some new courses and hell even some characters.

I doubt they are just sitting there waiting until the game ships before they are going to start working on the content.
Even if they have ideas for new content now, doesn't make it feasible for them to add it in by the release date. They have a schedule they have to stick to you know.

Its alot different to purposely holding back content for release later, or having unlock keys for content thats already on the disk.

Even if they have ideas for new content now, doesn't make it feasible for them to add it in by the release date. They have a schedule they have to stick to you know.

Right. And who will notice if they shorten their schedule, rush the game out a bit, and then just sell the rest of it later?

It's Mario after all. They know we'll buy it anyway. DLC takes knowledge away from consumers. Can't see how this is ever a good thing.

Twinduct

So much of this tension could have been avoided if Capcom just gave everyone a 400mb download instead of an unlock key. (Even if the content was done before the game shipped)

Right. And who will notice if they shorten their schedule, rush the game out a bit, and then just sell the rest of it later?

It's Mario after all. They know we'll buy it anyway. DLC takes knowledge away from consumers. Can't see how this is ever a good thing.
Its good/bad depending how they go about it, in the end you have to trust the company with it. I'm willing to be exposed to the possibility of being nickel and dimed if it means I get more stages for my Marios post-release.

This is not Bandai-Namco we're dealing with.

Bullshit.
There's nothing to backup what you said.
Nothing.

The fact that they've announced their intent pre-release is all the evidence I need to know that some coin rush levels will undoubtedly be cut to be sold as DLC.

Well Skyrim shouldn't have shipped when it shipped. And yeah, I don't think the best content for a game should be a separate package that you're charged for.

If you like coin rush mode, this is an option for you, and if you don't, you received a full-featured game that didn't require you to pay to continue the story in a meaningful way.

Nonsense. You could apply that same argument to all games. This game shouldn't ship until all content is ready.

Mario games have a story? o_O

It's a ridiculous argument.

I rest my case. :p

Yes. It's sometimes hard to give companies the benefit of the doubt (that they're not withholding content to sell later), but I don't mind giving Nintendo that benefit, especially since 1) they stressed that it isn't withheld content, and 2) they don't seem to embrace the idea of DLC in the first place. I think they're doing it because people want them to.

Squire

Banned
You do know just because Reggie or Iwata or anyone at Nintendo says it, doesn't necessarily mean its true, right?

That thought has occurred to you? Right?

It's NSMB man. They're not building Skyrim. By the time the game releases they'll probably have been working on DLC material for a month. They'd be stupid not to. You're kidding yourself if you actually believe they'll finish the core game and then twiddle their thumbs until its in the wild.

What Reggie said sounded like it was tailored to soften any typical DLC backlash bullshit. Not this sincere, noble explanation as to how they'll approach DLC.

DGRE

Banned
The fact that they've announced their intent pre-release is all the evidence I need to know that some coin rush levels will undoubtedly be cut to be sold as DLC.

Nonsense. You could apply that same argument to all games. This game shouldn't ship until all content is ready.

Mario games have a story? o_O

It's a ridiculous argument.

It has a single player campaign mode that has a beginning and an end. Coin Rush is completely optional.

zoukka

You do know just because Reggie or Iwata or anyone at Nintendo says it, doesn't necessarily mean its true, right?

That thought has occurred to you? Right?

It's NSMB man. They're not building Skyrim. By the time the game releases they'll probably have been working on DLC material for a month. They'd be stupid not to. You're kidding yourself if you actually believe they'll finish the core game and then twiddle their thumbs until its in the wild.

Err that's exactly what Nintendo meant. They won't do a "Capcom" and build NSMB, ship it, then lock half of the content for players. They will actually build a finished uncompromised title and extend the dev time to DLC content. Just like all DLC should work.

If there's one thing I miss from my Nintendo days it's the sheer optimism.

We'll see how they handle DLC in time but this means jack shit.

I don't mind giving Nintendo that benefit, especially since 1) they stressed that it isn't withheld content,

So you're giving them the benefit of the doubt because they said to give them the benefit of the doubt?

I don't trust any company with DLC. And even if they're honest about it now, the temptation to withhold content is not imaginary. If you withhold content and sell it later, you will make more money.

2) they don't seem to embrace the idea of DLC in the first place. I think they're doing it because people want them to.

This is the company that isn't putting online multiplayer into New Super Mario Bros. U and Pikmin 3, their top two games for their brand new console, both of which feature multiplayer modes.

If Nintendo doesn't want to do something, they won't do it.

Squire

Banned
Err that's exactly what Nintendo meant. They won't do a "Capcom" and build NSMB, ship it, then lock half of the content for players. They will actually build a finished uncompromised title and extend the dev time to DLC content. Just like all DLC should work.

One of the online gaming community's favorite things to ignore is the fact most companies do that, in actuality. Reggie seemed desperate in that video.

I don't think you're correct. I doubt shareholders give a shit if Nintendo includes online play. They have their internal philosophies about what's worth adding, and online multiplayer just isn't one of them.

Shareholders also beg them to go to iOS, but Nintendo doesn't do that either.

Nobody has complained about Skyrim's content, I believe. Or at least reasonably. You can tell it's post-game material.

Well Skyrim shouldn't have shipped when it shipped. And yeah, I don't think the best content for a game should be a separate package that you're charged for.

It's a ridiculous argument as it can apply to every single game that has post release DLC.

The fact remains that Nintendo haven't done dlc 'right', they've simply looked at what other devs have done and copied them, unfortunately it looks like they've followed the Capcom example and decided to nickel and dime their fanbase.

The new Layton game has a free puzzle released every day for the first 365 days. so you get free dlc then the next year when they make more they will probably charge extra for it which seems fair. This is what should be expected from DLC either free now or planned to produce at a later time due to time and budget constraints which is fair.

Foffy

Banned
It's a ridiculous argument as it can apply to every single game that has post release DLC.

The fact remains that Nintendo haven't done dlc 'right', they've simply looked at what other devs have done and copied them, unfortunately it looks like they've followed the Capcom example and decided to nickel and dime their fanbase.

I think it depends on DLC, and the type of content. Skyrim and Dark Souls have content clearly not in the retail release that show resources were spent on it after the release of the original title. If Nintendo follows this approach, I'd be happy. If people are able to uncover these files in a ROM and Nintendo has the gall to charge for them, this shit should never be purchased. Period. No ifs, ands, or butts about that.

I don't think you're correct. I doubt shareholders give a shit if Nintendo includes online play. They have their internal philosophies about what's worth adding, and online multiplayer just isn't one of them.

Shareholders also beg them to go to iOS, but Nintendo doesn't do that either.

that's what I'm saying though. I personally think that Nintendo embracing DLC was to appease shareholders, showing that they're gonna join the rest of the industry and monetize their games after release and purchase.

Raide

If they were thinking about the Community and not making insane amount of DLC cash, they would have produced a Level Editor for the game and not DLC.

Foffy

Banned
If they were thinking about the Community and not making insane amount of DLC cash, they would have produced a Level Editor for the game and not DLC.

T-then you can re-create the levels from NSMBDS, Wii, and U, so you'd never have to buy them! O:

FoxSpirit

So Reggie made it painstakingly clear that Nintendo would be producing additional Coin Rush levels as DLC once NSMB2 releases.

He reiterated several times:
- None of the DLC would be content left out of the game for the purpose of selling.
- All the content would be developed after the game shipped.

- He couldn't promise any release dates. That's how much this content doesn't exist yet.

This feels like such an Apple-esque move to me: ridiculously late to the party, but because of that they're able to learn from others mistakes and iterate on it in such a way that it is done right, and feels superior.

I've been thinking about it a lot, and it really makes sense to me that Nintendo, of all people, would actually get DLC right. It sounds crazy, but they would be the last company to ship a game and sell you the ending.

I think this is an incredibly positive sign for the future and the direction Nintendo is taking with their online infrastructure.

Thoughts?

Oh yeah... it could also mean simply lying about it.

Kinda how EA said, "If you sell content that's P2W (pay to win) in a multiplayer game, make sure the oposing player doesn't know he has died because of P2W." They really did say that.

Mario DLC? That's so 2001

g17527s5vnz.jpg

But seriously, I wish SMB3 would be re-released with the e-reader levels already available so I can play them...

Raide

T-then you can re-create the levels from NSMBDS, Wii, and U, so you'd never have to buy them! O:

I seriously don't see Nintendo finishing the game and then having a special team making levels. It will be a few interns making stuff and Nintendo charging 500 Reggiebucks for the privilege.

We'll see if it's "right" when said DLC is actually out. That being said I've been waiting for DLC in a Mario platformer since the first Galaxy so I'm on board regardless

I feel this way too, wait and see, low expectations means you can't be let down am I right?

Foffy

Banned
I seriously don't see Nintendo finishing the game and then having a special team making levels. It will be a few interns making stuff and Nintendo charging 500 Reggiebucks for the privilege.

If they charge 5 bucks, it better be a pack of levels. $5 per level is a fucking travesty.

So you're giving them the benefit of the doubt because they said to give them the benefit of the doubt?

I don't trust any company with DLC. And even if they're honest about it now, the temptation to withhold content is not imaginary. If you withhold content and sell it later, you will make more money.

This is the company that isn't putting online multiplayer into New Super Mario Bros. U and Pikmin 3, their top two games for their brand new console, both of which feature multiplayer modes.

If Nintendo doesn't want to do something, they won't do it.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because they don't really have a history of doing greedy or anti-consumer things and lying about it. I completely understand why you wouldn't trust any company with DLC, though.

As for your other point, I think they don't feel Star Fox 3D, Pikmin 2, or New SMB U needs online multiplayer. Whether or not I agree or disagree is out of the scope of this thread. But they can be coerced into things. Twilight Princess is one example.

For me, no DLC is getting DLC right.

New ideas/stages/content for new full games. Like Galaxy 2 was born after the launch of Galaxy 1.

Raide

If they charge 5 bucks, it better be a pack of levels. $5 per level is a fucking travesty.

When it comes to CoD or Halo 4 maps that gets loads of replayablity usually demands a higher price. For Mario levels that have hardly any replay value? I seriously don't see people playing Coin Rush 100's of times. They should be giving them away free.

DGRE

Banned

What is this sentiment based on? When has Nintendo ever acted this way in the past?

Put down the KoolAid son.... they will nickel and dime just as much as anyone else.

They deserve some credit for handling it better than most other publishers. The OP reads like a cult devotee to be sure but that doesn't mean that they don't deserve some praise for not withholding content (Assuming that it really is a large game and it wasn't rushed to release).

As for your other point, I think they don't feel Star Fox 3D, Pikmin 2, or New SMB U needs online multiplayer. Whether or not I agree or disagree is out of the scope of this thread. But they can be coerced into things. Twilight Princess is one example.
I definitely disagree.

Mimamoto's only reason for not bringing online to Pikmin 3 was the latency issue; so obviously he wanted to bring it but couldn't.

I would say they weren't capable of adding online in a form they find suitable; but that of course they should be able to if others can.

For me, no DLC is getting DLC right.

New ideas/stages/content for new full games. Like Galaxy 2 was born after the launch of Galaxy 1.

I don't see how this thinking is justified at all. If a great game was COMPLETED and shipped, and you like it so much that you want MORE content because you have fully exhausted every nook and cranny in the game ( Which is how I usually treat Mario games ) then why not give fans an option to purchase extra levels and content if that's all that it is....extra. There are at least 10 mario games I would pay good money for extra content to be added on, so whats wrong with that? Just like NSMB2, those games finished development as well, only many years ago instead of months.

Top Bottom