• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct] Nintendo, of all people, get DLC right? (NSMB2)

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because they don't really have a history of doing greedy or anti-consumer things and lying about it.

I love their games, but come on! Nintendo received one of the largest anti-trust fines in history.

Franchuzas87 said:
For me, no DLC is getting DLC right.

New ideas/stages/content for new full games. Like Galaxy 2 was born after the launch of Galaxy 1.

Couldn't agree more. Making a whole new game with Galaxy 2 enables them to branch off more from the main game, adding Yoshi, new suits, etc. in addition to new levels.

Self-contained experiences are for the best.

Bluth54

valve probably makes money through in game purchasing

so it''s not free

Valve releases plenty of free content. All maps and modes are free for their games (including around 45 maps and 5 game modes for TF2).

Valve does make money from the ingame TF2 store (which wasn't added until 3 years after the game came out), but you can pretty easily get all non cosmetic content in the game for free.

Mimamoto's only reason for not bringing online to Pikmin 3 was the latency issue; so obviously he wanted to bring it but couldn't.

Stop believing everything Nintendo says. Miyamoto also said, in that interview, that he couldn't project the cursor onto enemies in Pikmin 1 or 2 because the CPU wasn't powerful enough. With Wii U, he says, you could actually put the cursor onto enemies because it's more powerful.

I think it depends on DLC, and the type of content. Skyrim and Dark Souls have content clearly not in the retail release that show resources were spent on it after the release of the original title. If Nintendo follows this approach, I'd be happy. If people are able to uncover these files in a ROM and Nintendo has the gall to charge for them, this shit should never be purchased. Period. No ifs, ands, or butts about that.

Agreed. Which made his argument that Skyrim shouldn't have shipped when it did and that the DLC should have been in the games retail release made little sense.

Stop believing everything Nintendo says. Miyamoto also said, in that interview, that he couldn't project the cursor onto enemies in Pikmin 1 or 2 because the CPU wasn't powerful enough. With Wii U, he says, you could actually put the cursor onto enemies because it's more powerful.

He also said the flash memory in Wii was the main reason why the Wii was priced hgiher than the Gamecube. The guy doesn't know anything about the technical side of what goes into games, probably even far less than most of us here.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
... Right. There's only really 3 criteria I have for "doing DLC right", at the end of the day:
1. Was it worth the money / priced accordingly?
2. Did it come out at a reasonable time, when the game still mattered?
-- If not, was it enough to make the game matter again?
3. Did it bring something new / desired to my playing experience?​

Coin rush missions sound nice here, but they ALSO sound like pretty simple "level remix" type deals that can be developed with very little cost to the devs. It sounds a lot like the kind of things Super Meat Boy did for it's level adding mechanic on XBLA.

The way they're presented sounds like it'll work out very nicely as a content stream for an extra mode. But is this really groundbreaking, unique, or a large coup for consumers? Not really. It's Nintendo doing things in a way that'll be agreeable with it's audiences, easy to work with, and fairly easy for them to produce.

A nice gesture, and some good PR, but WAY too early to say "Everyone, Copy this! THIS IS THE WAY!"

well, maybe that wasn't exactly the reason, but he should be stupid not to bring co-op online to Pikmin 3, if only because it will be a system which natively can support both voice/video chat which can make coordination quite easy.

---
anyhow, I trust Nintendo that the single player experience will be quite complete; if only because they regard NSMB as probably their most important brand.

Raide

They deserve some credit for handling it better than most other publishers. The OP reads like a cult devotee to be sure but that doesn't mean that they don't deserve some praise for not withholding content (Assuming that it really is a large game and it wasn't rushed to release).

I guess the main problems is like the On-Disc DLC issue Capcom had. How do you prove that is was not part of the main game and they are not just chopping it down to make some quick cash? Sure Nintendo are pretty new at the DLC game but I seriously don't see them not thinking about making vast amounts of cash out of loyal Nintendo fans.

Cool. So we agree then.
obviously; I was just stating that no online is probably due to their lack of competence or poor overall online infrastructure
(However, I also believe they either don't do something, or at least try to do it in correctly; most of the times at least)

DGRE

Banned
Agreed. Which made his argument that Skyrim shouldn't have shipped when it did and that the DLC should have been in the games retail release made little sense.

You misunderstood me. I meant that Skyrim shouldn't have shipped when it did because of how bugged it was (PS3). Also, updating six months later to patch in mounts and voice commands seems half-assed. At least it was free.

I don't see how this thinking is justified at all. If a great game was COMPLETED and shipped, and you like it so much that you want MORE content because you have fully exhausted every nook and cranny in the game ( Which is how I usually treat Mario games ) then why not give fans an option to purchase extra levels and content if that's all that it is....extra. There are at least 10 mario games I would pay good money for extra content to be added on, so whats wrong with that? Just like NSMB2, those games finished development as well, only many years ago instead of months.
If the game is completed, I want they start something new. A new game where they can be more creative, or a sequel where put all new content possible and throw it together, not by installments. I don't mind waiting, there always are other games to play meanwhile, and I can replay the original at any time.

Very often, sequels are precisely one of the best things about video games, and Nintendo is no exception (Galaxy 2, Pikmin 2, Majora's Mask...). I want sequels as great as those, not fragmented content to supplement the original games.

Anyway, business as usual for me for DLC. Only questions that matter are 1) do I want it ? and 2) can I afford it at the time ?

The rest is bullshit principles and pseudo-politics to me.

If the game is completed, I want they start something new. A new game where they can be more creative, or a sequel where put all new content possible and throw it together, not by installments. I don't mind waiting, there always are other games to play meanwhile, and you just can replay the original at any time.

Very often, sequels are precisely one of the best things about video games, and Nintendo is no exception (Galaxy 2, Pikmin 2, Majora's Mask...). I want sequels as great as those, not fragmented content to supplement the original games.

I like the cut of your jib.

I definitely disagree.

Mimamoto's only reason for not bringing online to Pikmin 3 was the latency issue; so obviously he wanted to bring it but couldn't.

I would say they weren't capable of adding online in a form they find suitable; but that of course they should be able to if others can.
Ah, I did not know this. That's a shame.

I love their games, but come on! Nintendo received one of the largest anti-trust fines in history.

Oh, really? When was this, if you don't mind linking? (Unless you're talking about the NES lockout chip thing.)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Mario DLC? That's so 2001

g17527s5vnz.jpg

But seriously, I wish SMB3 would be re-released with the e-reader levels already available so I can play them...

Bwahaha I almost forgot about these. Nintendo pushing the DLC agenda!

Nome

Sigh, this thread just highlights how people don't understand the way DLC works. The ship date is NOT equivalent to the game completion date. It's not! In fact, it's sometimes several weeks or months! So what does the dev team do between ship date and completion date? They use their remaining budget, or budget allocated to DLC, to produce DLC! So why is there day 1 DLC? Because some companies have the foresight and proper production pipeline to push out content in a timely manner! ZOMG SO ANTI-CONSUMER!

CamHostage

Seriously? This is such a pedestrian "Doom II MegaPak" type of DLC, I don't even know why we're talking about it.

You look at other developers and they're doing stuff like GTA4 Episodes or Batman AC: Harley Quinn Revenge with multi-million dollar budgets invested in polished extended gaming campaigns, or transformative modes that change the game or rearrange the rules like COD's zombie or moon add-ons or Burnout Paradise's motorcycles, or just good old-fashioned long-tail "ask and you shall receive" asset creation like all the multitudes of character and stage packs for LBP or the mix of free and custom content in Burnout... and here we are praising a company for going, "Good news, guys: once we're shipped, we can assign a guy to use those basic level editors to make a bunch more of the same kind of levels for you to buy!"

For all the griping (with a fair bit of watchdogging over content being pulled... though I find it hard to find games where it is evident the package was compromised in order to extend the purchase price via DLC scheduling,) DLC has done a lot of good this generation. Wait six months for a game you were looking at to do a Gold Edition and look at how many more hours of stuff is packed on there. As with games, the only bad DLC is the DLC that is done badly.

zigg

I don't give a shit about when DLC is made or where it comes from so long as I'm not being asked to buy a shell of a game for full price. That said, I like the sound of this. I loved the e-Reader levels back in the day. Still have those cards!

I guarantee there's a misunderstanding or mistranslation here.

I'm reminded of the "animating Peach's dress" fiasco from NSMBW. It seemed pretty clear to me that he actually meant that Peach would come with her floaty physics expectation and they intended the make a game where all the players had identical physics... but the narrative on this side of the Pacific was "lol Nintendo's too lazy/cheap to animate a dress."

I just don't see the big deal. Whether it's developed alongside the main game, a year later, or a decade earlier, it doesn't really make a difference to the end user. Unless the levels are somehow relevant to new announcements or take into account feedback about what people liked about previous stages.

zigg

I just don't see the big deal. Whether it's developed alongside the main game, a year later, or a decade earlier, it doesn't really make a difference to the end user.
Yeah, I never got this either. The only thing that truly affects the consumer is whether or not the content he is licensed is worth the money he paid. In my book, unlockable DLC is an advantage, because it doesn't take up my storage space. If a developer can truly make a hundred dollars worth of content in one go and then opts to parcel it out so that the initial price isn't more than the market can bear, then more power to them.

Yeah, I never got this either. The only thing that truly affects the consumer is whether or not the content he is licensed is worth the money he paid. In my book, unlockable DLC is an advantage, because it doesn't take up my storage space. If a developer can truly make a hundred dollars worth of content in one go and then opts to parcel it out so that the initial price isn't more than the market can bear, then more power to them.

It's true that the only thing that really matters is that the game without DLC is worth the price, but it's very hard to not feel cheated when you do like Namco's done.

To reiterate, Namco had, in Tales games, a variety of unlockable costumes. When they discovered DLC, they took out most of the unlockabele costumes and made them DLC instead. Does this make the value of the game go down? Not really. (It could make sidequests less rewarding, but it's negligible.) Nevertheless, it's still something that you would have otherwise been given for free, if the practice of DLC didn't exist. They obviously withheld content for DLC.

Similar to you, I have no problem with day 1 DLC and on-disk DLC. I do have a problem with companies holding back content for DLC. Maybe I shouldn't, but I like to give them the benefit of doubt, "innocent until proven guilty." I'd like to believe that Capcom decided early, "Let's make two more characters to include as DLC, and hey, we might as well put them on the disk," instead of completing a product and deciding to strip away characters for DLC.

I love when technology enables the producer over the consumer. Go DLC!

Derrick01

Banned
- All the content would be developed after the game shipped.
- He couldn't promise any release dates. That's how much this content doesn't exist yet.

This is not something worth bragging about. I know people like to pretend DLC is the source of all evil in the world and that content is always cut from the main game just to get it out on day 1, but in the modern gaming world they have separate teams working on DLC alongside normal development so we don't have to wait a year to get it like Mass Effect 1 and GTA 4.

Now granted the amount of work on a game like this is far different than The Lost and The Damned so the wait won't be as long, but it could get long if they decide to do DLC on their larger games.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
most DlC are just loaded options

no real gameplay improvements

Yeah that's the only other thing that's ok by me besides no dlc and free dlc: dlc with some stupid bs like costumes, unlock codes (for things you can also get by playing the game), more characters (which are just skins of characters in the game) and the likes. Paid new levels are inacceptable though, no matter when they were developed.

Other than a few lowest of the low companies out there, Nintendo just defined what DLC is and nothing more. Devils in the details when it comes to this stuff. No, scratch that, devils in the application, not the promises. Even the worst offenders promised the same things.

ultron87

It really shouldn't matter when it is produced if you feel the original game has an acceptable amount of content. But I suppose this makes people feel better or something.

Yeah, I can't remember playing a game that felt incomplete without a DLC. It's always adding something optional. Don't know where people got this whole "selling half a game and selling the other half per DLC"-notion from.

When you develop 12 on disc characters for a fighting game but lock them off to be used as future DLC that's what people are raging about IE the Capcom approach.

test_account

XP-39C²
The first things sounds more like PR speak to me, but personally i dont really care when the DLC is made. I think what matters the most is that i enjoy a game and feel that i get good value for the money. Unless the DLC is included on the disc/cartridge, we will never really know if it was made before or after the game was released anyway.

I think that Nintendo (and all other companies) gets DLC right when they give something that extended the life of a game, and something that feels worth buying (or even better, if it is free).

AndyD

aka andydumi
We'll see if it's "right" when said DLC is actually out. That being said I've been waiting for DLC in a Mario platformer since the first Galaxy so I'm on board regardless

Right. Very PR speak and everyone else has said the same in the past. Then we learned its all PR.

I would not put much faith into words at this stage, Nintendo or whomever.

CamHostage

This is not something worth bragging about. I know people like to pretend DLC is the source of all evil in the world and that content is always cut from the main game just to get it out on day 1, but in the modern gaming world they have separate teams working on DLC alongside normal development so we don't have to wait a year to get it like Mass Effect 1 and GTA 4.

Now granted the amount of work on a game like this is far different than The Lost and The Damned so the wait won't be as long, but it could get long if they decide to do DLC on their larger games.

Right, DLC is becoming like any other game product by a creative group of people: it's got a release date. Sometimes they "go gold" around the same time as the game itself ships, other times they finish much later, sometimes they don't start until the main game ships... it all depends on what the content is, who's involved (is it a splinter team or is it the same main team,) how the plan works out (did they design this segment alongside the main game or was it designed afterwards to meet a need not found in the original product,) and how it compliments the overall project.

very nintendo like thinking

they must respect their customers a great deal

none of this GOTY game editions or psn super sale nonsense

How does this mean you won't get a version down the road that...

It just means that instead of cutting content from the core game, that they are developing it from scratch (like most DLC that isn't a preorder bonus)/day 1 DLC) You are silly to think Nintendo won't release a new Sku a year or so later

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I like Nintendo a lot and am NSMB 2 is alongside Black 2 as my most anticipated game, but this is a ridiculous statement to make. If they do DLC well, congratulate them. Intentions are of little value compared to actions. I expect them to do it appropriately, but will wait to see if they do before judging them.

I don't see how this thinking is justified at all. If a great game was COMPLETED and shipped, and you like it so much that you want MORE content because you have fully exhausted every nook and cranny in the game ( Which is how I usually treat Mario games ) then why not give fans an option to purchase extra levels and content if that's all that it is....extra. There are at least 10 mario games I would pay good money for extra content to be added on, so whats wrong with that? Just like NSMB2, those games finished development as well, only many years ago instead of months.
Make the extras free, then. Nintendo is already making a premium by never dropping their prices.

linko9

Of course, if you're going to do paid DLC, this is the right way to do it. But it's silly to pretend that Nintendo is somehow blazing a new trail with this. Plenty of games have legit DLC like this, though unfortunately it's becoming less and less common. And the idea of expansions to a game developed after the game's release has of course been a common practice for many years on the PC.

Top Bottom