• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct] Nintendo, of all people, get DLC right? (NSMB2)

DGRE

Banned
So Reggie made it painstakingly clear that Nintendo would be producing additional Coin Rush levels as DLC once NSMB2 releases.

He reiterated several times:
- None of the DLC would be content left out of the game for the purpose of selling.
- All the content would be developed after the game shipped.
- He couldn't promise any release dates. That's how much this content doesn't exist yet.

This feels like such an Apple-esque move to me: ridiculously late to the party, but because of that they're able to learn from others mistakes and iterate on it in such a way that it is done right, and feels superior.

I've been thinking about it a lot, and it really makes sense to me that Nintendo, of all people, would actually get DLC right. It sounds crazy, but they would be the last company to ship a game and sell you the ending.

I think this is an incredibly positive sign for the future and the direction Nintendo is taking with their online infrastructure.

Thoughts?

dwu8991

Banned
very nintendo like thinking

they must respect their customers a great deal

none of this GOTY game editions or psn super sale nonsense

Murrah

Banned
We'll see if it's "right" when said DLC is actually out. That being said I've been waiting for DLC in a Mario platformer since the first Galaxy so I'm on board regardless

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
At long, Nintendo keep it up then Nintendo > Capcom by long miles.

Call me sucker, but I don't mind to see DLC characters and stages for Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros Wii U.

Put down the KoolAid son.... they will nickel and dime just as much as anyone else.
Really? You think the levels will be on disk, and we'll have to pay to unlock them, and this is all just a lie? Because if you don't, then your post doesn't make sense.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It just sounded like PR talk to me. Do we know when the Fire Emblem DLC was made? That DLC started right away.

Well, with the FE DLC, it was done a bit differently. The first batch was made available free if you bought the game new and if you didn't then you'd have to pay for it. Subsequent DLC came out in a steady rate over the course of weeks/months. So yeah, it wasn't bad actually.

TDLink

It just sounded like PR talk to me. Do we know when the Fire Emblem DLC was made? That DLC started right away.

You do actually have to download the DLCs, it isn't just an unlock key. I can't say for sure none were on the card...the very first may have. However, it was also free. I'm pretty sure it wasn't though.

So Reggie made it painstakingly clear that Nintendo would be producing additional Coin Rush levels as DLC once NSMB2 releases.

He reiterated several times:
- None of the DLC would be content left out of the game for the purpose of selling.
- All the content would be developed after the game shipped.
- He couldn't promise any release dates. That's how much this content doesn't exist yet.

This feels like such an Apple-esque move to me: ridiculously late to the party, but because of that they're able to learn from others mistakes and iterate on it in such a way that it is done right, and feels superior.

I've been thinking about it a lot, and it really makes sense to me that Nintendo, of all people, would actually get DLC right. It sounds crazy, but they would be the last company to ship a game and sell you the ending.

I think this is an incredibly positive sign for the future and the direction Nintendo is taking with their online infrastructure.

Thoughts?

I don't see how this is any different to the vast majority of devs who release post launch DLC.

Should the upcoming Dawnguard DLC for Skyrim have been in the game when it shipped? Should Ramm's Shadow for Gears 3 been in the game before it shipped? Or what about the Missing Link for HR and Minverva's Den for BS2?

And honestly coin rush levels as DLC? Surely they should be part of the main game when it releases?

Smells of capcom levels of nickel and diming your fanbase. have a few levels in game when it ships and sell the rest as DLC.

Hanmik

It sounds like one of those "speeches" at beauty pageants..

"I would bring peace on earth and free Donuts for everyone..."

prwxv3

Looking forward to Nintendo not dropping the price of their DLC as well

They don't drop the price of their games frequently so the problem of having digital games that are more expensive wont exist for a couple years after the game launches.

Magnus

Fuck yeah!

Jy9Hb.gif

Of all companies, Valve gets it right. Because I don't have to pay a cent.

And CD Projekt.

Winner. Both have seriously impressed by how well they've handled DLC for their respective games.

Looking forward to Nintendo not dropping the price of their DLC as well

Look forward to them cutting content from games to sell as DLC, which is exactly what this smells of.

Coin Rush levels as DLC? Any other dev did this, we'd be decrying this as nothing more than a nickel and dime of their fanbase/a blatant cash grab, but Nintendo does it and it's them getting DLC 'right'.

For the record, I don't care about day 1 DLC if there's no indication that the content was held back from the game. It's entirely possible that companies create "extra" as DLC.

It's different from Namco, who used to have many costumes built in to older Tales games, then after they discovered DLC, they only have one or two built in, with the rest as DLC.

That said, I look forward to this, and I'm glad Nintendo isn't doing anything cheap. Note that, as stated, they already did this with Mario Advance 4 with eReader cards.

Foffy

Banned
Look forward to them cutting content from games to sell as DLC, which is exactly what this smells of.

Coin Rush levels as DLC? Any other dev did this, we'd be decrying this as nothing more than a nickel and dime of their fanbase/a blatant cash grab, but Nintendo does it and it's them getting DLC 'right'.

They've long said (and shown) the DLC they have expands on a game. You can even equate the Wifi Connection stuff on DS as their approach to DLC, where the only difference between then and now is that they're charging for some of that.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nintendo did DLC right during the last few years: They didn't have any. Don't waste your ressources for some bonus levels for a game, use them for a new game instead! I also don't want to pay more money for a game I've already bought, so the only one who's doing it right and still does DLC is Valve. I absolutely hate Nintendo for offering DLC.

snesfreak

Banned

Bullshit.
There's nothing to backup what you said.
Nothing.

dwu8991

Banned
Nintendo did DLC right during the last few years: They didn't have any. Don't waste your ressources for some bonus levels for a game, use them for a new game instead! I also don't want to pay more money for a game I've already bought, so the only one who's doing it right and still does DLC is Valve. I absolutely hate Nintendo for offering DLC.

most DlC are just loaded options

no real gameplay improvements

DGRE

Banned
I don't see how this is any different to the vast majority of devs who release post launch DLC.

Should the upcoming Dawnguard DLC for Skyrim have been in the game when it shipped? Should Ramm's Shadow for Gears 3 been in the game before it shipped? Or what about the Missing Link for HR and Minverva's Den for BS2?

And honestly coin rush levels as DLC? Surely they should be part of the main game when it releases?

Smells of capcom levels of nickel and diming your fanbase. have a few levels in game when it ships and sell the rest as DLC.

Well Skyrim shouldn't have shipped when it shipped. And yeah, I don't think the best content for a game should be a separate package that you're charged for.

If you like coin rush mode, this is an option for you, and if you don't, you received a full-featured game that didn't require you to pay to continue the story in a meaningful way.

IrishNinja

Although it will probably be a little pricey.

this is the one component im curious about, since they're new to it itll be interesting if they can actually hit the right amount of content for the right price (ie id not really mind $10 for a handful of good postgame zelda dungeons one day). their VC pricing has me wary.

thanks

If that is what is considered doing DLC "right", then we have to raise expectations. That should be the bare minimum we ask of companies with DLC.

I also think a lot of people are missing why the OP was titled as it was. To me it's because Nintendo is actually making content separately presumably post release instead of an unlock code to unlock content that is on the disc. I don't care how any developer on Gaf tries to spin it, unlock codes are fundamentally silly. Anything less than what Nintendo has said about NSMB 2 DLC should not be tolerated in our industry.

It's to early to really make a call about this. In the proposed form, this is just expansion content. The main game is still a full experience, this is just bonus.

Yeah, I can't remember playing a game that felt incomplete without a DLC. It's always adding something optional. Don't know where people got this whole "selling half a game and selling the other half per DLC"-notion from.
They mean when a game's content is already made on the day of the games release but its held back to release later as DLC, or unlock codes. Nintendo is not doing that, whatever content they have for NSMB2 will be in the full game, only stuff that hasn't been made will be released later as DLC. That is if you believe what Nintendo says, and considering their philosophy in games development, I for one give them the benefit of the doubt.

Ryoku

Too early to make a decisive opinion on this. For me, at least. I'll wait about six months to a year after Wii U launches to see how they do DLC.

Top Bottom