• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct] Nintendo, of all people, get DLC right? (NSMB2)

BiggNife

Look forward to them cutting content from games to sell as DLC, which is exactly what this smells of.

Coin Rush levels as DLC? Any other dev did this, we'd be decrying this as nothing more than a nickel and dime of their fanbase/a blatant cash grab, but Nintendo does it and it's them getting DLC 'right'.

Except Nintendo just said that's what they're not doing. To just assume that Nintendo will start doing this eventually when the company has no history of this yet is downright cynical.

And coin rush is side content anyway - if another dev did what Nintendo is doing and made it clear that none of the DLC stuff is cut content, why would people complain? Did people complain when PC games got expansions in the late 90s/early 2000s? No, because it was new content they were willing to pay for because they enjoyed the base game. That's what DLC should be. If the DLC was, say, the entirety of World 8, then people would have reason to riot.

And I know someone else made the argument that they could just be lying, but unless someone finds proof that the coin rush DLC levels were already on the NSMB2 cart, I see no reason to believe this.

KAL2006

Banned
Uh DLC with Nintendo games as well, fuck that. Why don't developers instead use those ideas for there next game instead. Forget adding new levels as DLC, instead use those level ideas for NSMB3.

snesfreak

Banned
Uh DLC with Nintendo games as well, fuck that. Why don't developers instead use those ideas for there next game instead. Forget adding new levels as DLC, instead use those level ideas for NSMB3.
"Ugh, ANOTHER fucking NSMB game? GOD DAMMIT NINTENDO!"
I have no problem with what they're doing with this, it's new levels based on player feedback.

NeonZ

If NSMB doesn't underperform, this is the kind of game where they expect it'll be selling throughout the entire generation. There should be no NSMB2 (at least, not one anything like this first 3DS title).

Really, this is why I think Nintendo's usual policies work well with DLC. We know that we won't get another Mario Kart in the same console. We know there won't be another Smash Bros. DLC lines up very well with series that only get a single release per console.

Also, regarding free DLC, people bring up the paid DLC in FE Awakening, but ignore that it has a lot of free stuff too. A large number of characters (supposed to be 120 in overall), some stages and weapons, and nothing is on the cartridge (well, aside from some story npcs/enemies that can be acquired as playable units only in the free DLC stages) appearing as generic items or characters if a user without the DLC looks at the player's party through streetpass.

Wiz

Then you'll have people complaing "oh God, ANOTHER New Super Mario Bros game?"

I don't see the harm in this DLC at all.

King_Moc

Banned

I would also prefer this. I though dlc was to keep people owning the game for longer before selling it on. That's not normally an area that Nintendo has problems with.

Nintendo barely releases two entries on one system, seems like a good option.

Otherwise you would've to wait four years for NSMB3.

Feel the Nintendo difference lol.

I don't see how this is any different to the vast majority of devs who release post launch DLC.

Should the upcoming Dawnguard DLC for Skyrim have been in the game when it shipped? Should Ramm's Shadow for Gears 3 been in the game before it shipped? Or what about the Missing Link for HR and Minverva's Den for BS2?

And honestly coin rush levels as DLC? Surely they should be part of the main game when it releases?

Smells of capcom levels of nickel and diming your fanbase. have a few levels in game when it ships and sell the rest as DLC.

Yeah but big difference. Skyrim sucks.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
He reiterated several times:
- None of the DLC would be content left out of the game for the purpose of selling.
- All the content would be developed after the game shipped.

Thoughts?

This pretty much proves other publishers are guilty of these practices. Maybe now some gamers will wise up and stop defending them.

Are u really willing to wait another 3 years for a few more levels lol

Roto13

Winner. Both have seriously impressed by how well they've handled DLC for their respective games.

Look forward to them cutting content from games to sell as DLC, which is exactly what this smells of.

Coin Rush levels as DLC? Any other dev did this, we'd be decrying this as nothing more than a nickel and dime of their fanbase/a blatant cash grab, but Nintendo does it and it's them getting DLC 'right'.

Yes, if any other company did this, the internet would be full of crying babies, like it is over this news too.

Seriously. I have to wonder what's wrong with people who can't wrap their brains around the idea that DLC can actually be extra stuff that's not just cut out of a complete game to be sold later Capcom style.

There's good DLC and bad DLC. Anyone who can't tell the difference, or at least isn't aware that there can be a difference, is a moron.

MisterHero

Are u really willing to wait another 3 years for a few more levels lol
Or Nintendo could just take those ideas and flesh them out into a brand new game

like Majora's Mask
or New Super Mario Bros. 2, which is being around a mode removed from the original New Super Mario Bros. (Coin racing)

Anth0ny

lol

they're releasing 2 NSMB games in 3 months

Because this DLC is not about an idea that didn't make it into the game, but it's about EXPANDING the idea that the game is based upon.
If NSMB3 would be the exact same as NSMB2, just different courses, then yeah, fuck that.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 at least had a new story and Yoshi, as well as new costumes and all around more stuff in terms of gameplay than SMG1 had.

TreIII

Because this DLC is not about an idea that didn't make it into the game, but it's about EXPANDING the idea that the game is based upon.
If NSMB3 would be the exact same as NSMB2, just different courses, then yeah, fuck that.

It also helps to remember that, much like was said in the other topic, it's very likely this might be the only NSMB released for the 3DS.

If that's the case, then all DLC will do is just give a bit more mileage to a game that's also likely to have long legs, any way.

Or Nintendo could just take those ideas and flesh them out into a brand new game

like Majora's Mask
or New Super Mario Bros. 2, which is being around a mode removed from the original New Super Mario Bros. (Coin racing)

It really just depends on how the DLC is used. If you get a beefy game upfront that feels complete then they release DLC 3 months later for additional coin rush and/or other game modes for $2.99 a package, that's not bad. Especially if the packages have good content. It would be a situation of additional content that they werent able to release in the first game.

Then you look at the flipside of it. What if you have some that didn't like NSMB 2 on 3DS? 3 or 4 years later, they release NSMB 3 with much different content. The people who loved the first game can purchase additional DLC based upon its concepts. And the people that didn't can skip that DLC and just purchase NSMB 3. In this way, NSMB 2 can be extended why NSMB 3 can exist seperately for others, some of which might not have liked NSMB 2

It's a win win concept if Nintendo used it ethically and conceptually like that

StayDead

I am not sure about this one (The Fire Emblem game in Japan).

As someone with the game the Fire Emblem DLC is actually pretty sweet, even the spotpass free stuff adds tons more content to the game. The DLC for NSMB2 should be awesome if they do it right. :D

Roto13

Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros., Smash Bros., these are all games that sell for years after they release, and all games that come exactly once per console. They're also all games that would benefit from a bit of DLC now and then. (Well, maybe not Animal Crossing. That'd be all shirts and stuff. :p)

Hale-XF11

One thing I know is that DLC does have a positive effect in that it keeps certain communities going stronger for longer. Seems like Nintendo could easily milk Mario Kart 7 by releasing new DLC tracks spread out over the next year or so. No need to wait for a sequel when there's a market for that content now.

Azriell

The thing about it is that Nintendo games make the most sense for DLC. Because they have that "evergreen" effect going on, they could add DLC a year or two after release and there would still be people who could buy it right after buying/completing the game.

Not making DLC until the game has shipped is what we all want to hear, but I would also say there's a concern about taking too long to get it out. But between my above statement, and the fact that it's Nintendo and their games evoke a unique response amongst fans, taking a few months to release DLC would probably still be ok.

Now we just have to wait and see if the content is strong enough to matter.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It's silly to think they haven't started on dlc maps for the game yet. That's not necessarily a bad thing though as long as the game is still a quality title.

M3d10n

3DS Layton DLC is best DLC: a new puzzle a day during one year. You get *double* the amount of puzzles in the base game for free.

Roto13

3DS Layton DLC is best DLC: a new puzzle a day during one year. You get *double* the amount of puzzles in the base game for free.

Is the 3DS Layton DLC actually real DLC? The DLC puzzles in the previous Layton games are already on the game card, you just download an unlock key. Which isn't quite as infuriating as when Capcom does it, because it's free. :p

Somnid

A lot of people bring up Valve which does have a lot of similarities to the way Nintendo is doing things:

- Both are offering content post launch (not part of original binaries).
- Both have a clear break with core content, nothing is withheld or interferes with the core game.
- Both continue to offer post-release free content.

Nintendo so far has few data points. They have only release 2 games that support real DLC, Tobidasu KiraDeco Revolution and Fire Emblem: Awakening.

For those that don't know KiraDeco Revolution is a sequel to the DSiWare Sparkle Snapshots, a purikura (picture decorating) "game." As you might imagine they sell additional packs of items to decorate your pictures with. The packs tend to be themed around holidays, seasons or Nintendo franchises (currently Mario and Mario Kart). The packs are priced at about $1. The game itself is about $6 on the eShop and has free DLC as well.

Fire Emblem as more people know contains add-on missions featuring past Fire Emblem characters, or challenge maps with strong items that can make the game easier. The characters in paid mission have newly designed artwork done by a guest artist. They cost about $2.50-$4. In addition the game features other post-release content in the form of old FE characters (which can overlap premium characters though they will use old artwork) that you can fight or items you can acquire. They plan to have at about 120 sets of these.

I will say that at least so far Nintendo is doing an excellent job. And no, Valve DLC is not free and $5 hats is not a good example of DLC even if other post-release support is excellent.

M3d10n

Is the 3DS Layton DLC actually real DLC? The DLC puzzles in the previous Layton games are already on the game card, you just download an unlock key. Which isn't quite as infuriating as when Capcom does it, because it's free. :p

It's likely proper DLC since the 3DS provides a complete infrastructure for free DLC since launch (SpotPass).

I never understood people's aversions to DLC unlocking content already on the game disc. I mean, assuming the game as purchased is complete and satisfying, who cares when the DLC was made? It still cost the same money to develop, whether they had a team developing it after the game's release or whether they had that team working on the content while the main team was working on the primary game. Would you rather they charge more for the initial game to pay for the extra content that's on the disc?

And what about content that was cut because it just didn't fit the final game? I'd have paid to unlock some of the beta content left on the Zelda 64 cartridge back when the game first came out, for example, I find that kind of stuff fascinating.

PokéKong

I don't understand why any DLC is something anyone actually desires under any circumstance, other than the old fashioned Expansion Pack style which adds a substantial campaign to the game.

I can't really say "yay! a lesser evil!"

Roto13

I never understood people's aversions to DLC unlocking content already on the game disc. I mean, assuming the game as purchased is complete and satisfying, who cares when the DLC was made? It still cost the same money to develop, whether they had a team developing it after the game's release or whether they had that team working on the content while the main team was working on the primary game. Would you rather they charge more for the initial game to pay for the extra content that's on the disc?
Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's questionable, sometimes it's bullshit.
PokéKong;39182307 said:
I don't understand why any DLC is something anyone actually desires under any circumstance, other than the old fashioned Expansion Pack style which adds a substantial campaign to the game.

I can't really say "yay! a lesser evil!"
Why does it matter if DLC is small and cheap or big and expensive?

beje

Banned
It's likely proper DLC since the 3DS provides a complete infrastructure for free DLC since launch (SpotPass).

It's the same for the Dead or Alive daily extra costumes and the whole Pokémon data in Pokédex 3D. The "Additional Data" files for them in the management menu are really big (70MB for Pokédex which is 3 times bigger than the app itself, 25MB for DoA), which meant the DLC was real and not just unlock keys.

Top Bottom