• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2011 - Voting Thread - Voting's Over, Folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Najaf

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2. Shogun 2: Total War
3. Saints Row: the Third
4. Portal 2
5. Modern Warfare 3
6. Forza 4
7. Dirt 3

x. L.A. Noire ; By far my biggest disappointment in a game in a very long time.
x. Battlefield 3 ; What did they do to my baby? I don't know quite what to point at to blame, but the fun has been sucked out of this franchise with this latest effort.

2010. Digital: A Love Story

Still no response to the numerous requests for an extension on the voting deadline, huh? :p

Another week or two to play through and digest all the holiday titles would be appreciated. Or at least the courtesy to address why there won't be an extension. Just saying...
Agreed with this too. The deadline is in two days.

AcciDante

1. Portal 2
2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
4. The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings
5. Gears of War 3
6. The Binding of Isaac
7. Orcs Must Die
8. Bulletstorm
9. InFamous 2
10. Uncharted 3

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
3. Portal 2
4. Pokemon Black & White
5. Bastion
6. Dead Space 2
7. Batman: Arkham City
8. Dark Souls
9. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
10. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

xbhaskarx

1. Portal 2
2. Battlefield 3
3. Skyrim
4. Bastion
5. Orcs Must Die
6. Outland
7. Trine 2
8. Ilomilo
9. From Dust
10. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

Others in no particular order: Toy Soldiers Cold War, Iron Brigade (Trenched), Ms Splosion Man, Gatling Gears, Hard Corps Uprising, Torchlight, Joe Danger Special Edition...

I only bought three full-sized games on disc this year, which is like 1/5 of how many I usually buy in a year....

Oreoleo

1. Portal 2
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
3. Sonic Generations; Never in a million years did I think I would put as much time into this as I did.
4. Costume Quest; PC version. Don't care if it "counts." I had more unfiltered fun with this game than pretty much anything else on my list.
5. Batman: Arkham Asylum
6. Hard Reset
7. EYE: Divine Cybermancy
8. Jamestown
9. The Binding of Isaac
10. Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine
x. Bastion
x. Bulletstorm

2010. Vanquish

Shit I haven't played yet that would almost certainly be on my list (or get an honorable mention) if I'd had a chance to get to it: Skyrim, Witcher 2, Saints Row 3

Edit: Hooray for deadline extensions giving me the chance to put more games on my list.

Erebus

1. Portal 2
2. Uncharted 3
3. Deus Ex Human Revolution
4. Dirt 3
5. Mortal Kombat
6. Limbo (PC)
7. Bulletstorm
8. Batman Arkham City
9. Alice Madness Returns
10. Battlefield 3

zlatko

Banned
Those asking for an extension should get in touch with PM's to the OP who is in charge, and if you can't get a reply, then try a mod I suppose.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm all for the current deadline since it'll stop me from constantly tinkering with my list. I have like six honorable mentions now since I'm still playing a lot of great 2011 games for the first time, just had to make space for Pushmo <3.

bonesquad

1. Portal 2
2. Batman: Arkham City
3. Uncharted 3
4. inFamous 2
5. L.A. Noire
6. SpaceChem
7. Bastion
8. Frozen Synapse
9. Outland
10. Groove Coaster
X. Stacking

2010. Gran Turismo 5

Dudes, chill. I've seen all your posts re: the deadline. An update regarding the deadline will be coming shortly.

Do I have to pm you if I changed my list?

No. You can update your list as many times as you want up until the deadline. The votes will be tallied once the deadline hits.

Kritz

Banned
This thread could have really used a sticky or something. I've not even seen it until today and I've been actively looking for it on the front page. Maybe I just don't check GAF as often as I think.

1. Portal 2
2. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
3. Bastion
4. Saints Row: The Third
5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
6. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
7. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood; PC version.
8. Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad
9. Trine 2
10. Terraria

x. Battlefield 3
x. Warhammer 40000: Space Marine
x. Crysis 2
x. Uncharted 3
x. Magicka
x. Frozen Synapse
x. Trackmania 2: Canyon
x. Limbo (PC)
x. Bulletstorm
x. Two Worlds II
x. Minecraft; For too many reasons I'm not putting Minecraft on my actual list. But if I did, it would be number 1.

2010: Demon's Souls

ethelred

01. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
02. Batman: Arkham City
03. The Witcher 2
04. Ghost Trick
05. Radiant Historia
06. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
07. L.A. Noire
08. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
09. Xenoblade Chronicles
10. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

2010: Tales of Monkey Island

Neiteio

1. Bulletstorm
2. Catherine
3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
4. Batman: Arkham City
5. Super Mario 3D Land
6. Portal 2
7. Mario Kart 7
8. Sonic Generations
9. Rochard
10. Uncharted 3: Drake&#8217;s Deception

Honorable mentions (in alphabetical order):
x Bastion
x Jamestown
x Marvel vs. Capcom 3
x Pilotwings Resort
x Pokemon Black/White
x Pushmo
x Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D

2010:
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Here's what I said about my GOTY, Bulletstorm, in my LTTP thread:

Got this for $5 on the Steam sale.

Prior to playing the full game, I never would've imagined myself saying this, but after much deliberation I think this may be my favorite game of the year, and that's saying something given how good this year was. Bulletstorm is amazing. But I never would've guessed it with barely anyone talking about it.

Here's the Bulletstorm formula:

First, take a Jack Black-esque protagonist. Make him witty and self-aware... Foul-mouthed but inoffensive... Rough around the edges, but warm with a hint of pathos. Give him the boost-sliding legs of Vanquish's Sam and the grappling arm of Metroid's Samus. Call him Grayson Hunt.

Make it so you can reel in a distant foe and send him hurtling toward you, or close the distance in the blink of an eye with a high-speed slide. Either way, follow up with a swift kick from a boot the size of Kuribo's Shoe, and send the sad sap spinning away like Sonic hitting a spring.

Chances are they'll be impaled on a cactus, or tangled up in sparking wires, or sucked into a turbine, or eaten by a carnivorous plant. Maybe you quickly run forward, kicking them repeatedly in the head, their body floating in midair just long enough to keep the combo going, even as the rest of the battlefield rampages in real time. Maybe you kick a hotdog cart into them, flattening them like a pancake. Maybe. Limbs fall like rain and blood gushes everywhere, but it's so slap-happy that nothing feels mean-spirited, only spontaneous and fun.

So you can do all of that with a grapple beam and a boot. Grayson doesn't need guns, clearly, but let's give him some anyway. Let's give him an arsenal so over-the-top it's the envy of Unreal Tournament.

Let's give him a four-barreled shotgun that can vaporize a foe's musculature in a single shot, so only a blood-red skeleton remains... Let's give him the Flail, a grenade launcher that shoots two grenades connected by a chain, tying foes up if not flat-out severing them in two, the grenades detonating when you squeeze the trigger again, allowing for setups like reeling in a bomb-strapped baddie with the grapple beam and then kicking him back at his buddies before going BOOM.

Let's give him a sniper rifle where at the last second the bullet goes into slow-mo and you steer the projectile into the fleeing target's skull like a pint-sized Redeemer missile, or perhaps veer off and hit a red barrel instead.

Let's give him a cannon where the bombs bounce like basketballs until you release the trigger and allow them to explode... Let's give him a drill-tipped harpoon launcher that pins foes to the ceiling so they spin round and round like a fan, or skewer multiple foes like a shish kebab...

Give Grayson all these tools and more. Now put him in a GORGEOUS alien world that feels alive, whether it's the swaying palm trees with trunks more gnarled than a Dr. Seuss drawing, or the friggin' Cloverfield monster herself. It's a world smoldering with color -- pastel pinks, golden yellows, twilight blues -- and full of touristy charm because, well, it's a tourist trap, complete with a disco and a thrill ride featuring a miniature city with a remote-controlled Godzilla. And in the badlands beyond are the bones of giants, foothills like jagged shards of glass, and skyscraper-sized cogs that tumble along as though they fell off of God's chariot.

Take this gorgeous world full of deathtraps... This arsenal of the most creative weapons in shooters today... This core gameplay of slide/leash/kick... And structure it so the action is fast, furious, nonstop -- no filler, no fetch quests, no bullshit. The "skillshot" system challenges you to kill in creative ways, scoring points that can be used to restock ammo and upgrade your weapons at the drop-kits spread liberally throughout the world.

It pushes you to push yourself and have a blast doing so. And it's all driven by a smartly written narrative that comes full-circle so no detail is irrelevant, and that feels complete by the time the credits roll. A plot where your character actually develops; a plot that calls out the mass murder committed in first-person shooters and contemplates it, yet never takes itself TOO seriously, all but breaking the fourth wall at times and reveling in irony left and right. Every chapter has a laugh-out-loud moment. Every chapter has memorable moments or a memorable line.

As the game progresses, the set pieces become grander, the scenarios more absurd, the variety relentless, and the game doesn't overstay its welcome, nor does it conclude too quickly, with a whiz-bang finale and a great setup for a sequel... It plays with your expectations, subverts them and inverts them, always surprising, always delighting...

And yet... No one seems to be talking about this game. For me it's the sleeper hit of 2011, and the most fun I had with an action game this year. Surely I can't be the only one? I haven't been this euphoric about a new game in awhile.

Best $5 I ever spent!
Shame to see it on so few lists.

tim.mbp

2011 Backlogged (i.e. games not considered for Top 10)
*did not feel I played enough (or any in some cases) of these games to include for consideration --- yet of course I own them
Batman Arkham City
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
InFamous 2
Battlefield 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Killzone 3
LittleBigPlanet 2
Dead Space 2
Xenoblade Chronicles
Sonic Generations
L.A. Noire
Catherine

Why is this listed as spoilers when it doesn't spoil anything and how would anyone even know without looking? There's no context for what might have been spoiled.

Sinople

1. Dark Souls
2. Steins;Gate ; PSP version, Japan
3. Limbo ; PC version

And that's pretty much the only games released in 2011 I played :/
But I'm pretty sure DS would be my number 1 even if I had played more.

Finished Saints Row the Third and put a lot more time into Batman: Arkham City, so new list, because...

1. Batman: Arkham City ; Holy fucking shit, this game. I feel like I can convince myself that any of my top 3 is my personal game of the year, and at several points have felt that way, but as of right now, this is it. I enjoyed just about every single thing this game had me do. Every great game I can think of has at least one section that dissuades me from replaying it, and Arkham City has no extended sequence where I felt like, "Fuck this game". Few games have made me want to do every sidequest and no game has ever made me want to do all the high level gameplay challenges like the AR training, but there were just few enough AR training challenges that I did them all. Additionally, this game takes two things that I don't really care for in most games--combat and story--and turns them into strengths. I like the combat so much that it actually made me seek out enemies to fight as opposed to avoiding them like I do in most games that have that option. As I played more and more, I came realized how brilliant the story is, considering how bad it should be. Imagine being tasked with writing this game, being told that Arkham has to take place in a sizable chunk of Gotham City, having to incorporate as many Batman villains as possible, and not making it come across as either bad fan fiction, or the kind of story a kid comes up when playing with his hodgepodge of action figures. It's a damn near consensus that these Batman games are far and away the best use of the Batman license (or any license for that matter) in video games. For me, I will take it one colossal step further and say that this Batman game is my favorite use of the Batman license period.

2. Portal 2 ; This game is nearly perfect, but I played the game over the course five or six hours split between two sittings in one day early in the year and haven't touched it since. This game, though, is practically perfect in every way. It is brilliantly written, and even if the puzzles aren't that challenging, they handled the ramp up in scope from Portal expertly. Batman gets the slight edge for now because it is more fresh on my mind and does more while making similarly few mistakes.

3. Skyrim ; Probably my heart's pick, since RPGs are my absolute favorite genre and it is exciting to see one that appeals to non-RPG fans without feeling compromised for it. This is by far the game I played the most this year (World of Warcraft excluded), clocking in at just under 120 hours. This game does so much, so right, that it more thank makes up for its many, many flaws, but when splitting hairs, this game has definite flaws that I feel neither Batman nor Portal can even come close to comparing to.

4. Assassin's Creed: Revelations ; A definite step back from a series that has been striding forward in every game since its bland first game. That being said, it didn't screw the pooch so badly that I didn't get sucked in just as much as I did by AC2 and ACB. The additions were bad, the game dropped a few of the more interesting side activities in AC2 and ACB, and the story is stuck in neutral (Overall story, that is. The Ezio story was on life support since AC2, but there is enough heart in the Sofia story for me to overlook the pointlessness--and creepiness, in Sofia's case--of it all), but Assassin's Creed games since AC2 have been some of the most fun I've had playing games this gen, and this is another of them.

5. The Witcher 2 ; The Witcher's strength is unfortunately in something that I don't value too highly in games: story. That being said, it's a deep enough RPG to hold my interest (though the magic feels too clumsy and limited for me to want to do anything but swing a sword most of the time) and the game is absolutely gorgeous. I feel like the first Witcher game is a bit overrated by people that I can only succinctly describe as "gaming hipsters", but The Witcher 2 is pretty damned impressive.

6. Saints Row the Third ; The only reason this game was even on my radar was because of Giant Bomb, and everything I know about my own tastes would lead me to believe that this is not a game for me, but I had to see what was behind their enthusiasm. What I found was some surprisingly great humor, awesome over the top insanity, and a truly impressive amount of mission variety that catapulted this game from my personal ignore list to my games of the year list.

7. Bastion ; The beauty with which this game is presented is absolutely stunning. The Proving Grounds are fun challenges that enhance the rest of the game. If I were a bigger fan of this sort of gameplay, Bastion would threaten to be much higher.

8. L.A. Noire ; I don't care about the facial performance capture tech, I just knew that this was a game that I had to try from its initial gameplay videos. There's a lot I don't like about this game: The action sequences weren't that well done (I admitted defeat and skipped one of them), some of the conversation logic is beyond me, and the side content isn't the least bit compelling (so I skipped all of it), but goddammit, it's an adventure game and it's extremely playable!

9. Dragon Age 2 ; It's become all too popular to trash this game because it is a significant step backward in a lot of ways from Dragon Age: Origins. But for what the game ended up being, I found enough to enjoy to finish it within a week or two of release and even start playing it again after completion (though I didn't get very far). There are even a few things I prefer over Dragon Age: Origins, but I know I won't be able to convince most people that this game actually isn't that bad.

10. Deus Ex: Human Revolution ; I have tried and failed many times to play the first Deus Ex past the initial few missions. This game seems to get the stamp of approval from fans of the original, but I found myself wanting more from this game. While a lot of the appeal seems to be the multiple paths one can take through areas in the game, I'm only concerned with the path that developed as I played the game, which was, frankly, a bit boring and repetitive. The quality is unmistakable, but I spent almost the entire time playing this game thinking about how I had way more fun playing janky-as-fuck Alpha Protocol.

2010. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood ; I was ready to skip this game. First because I thought it was a multiplayer game and I have no interest in those. Later because I thought it was a pointless and rushed sequel, and how many of those end up being any good? But then, I heard that the ending was good and decided it was worth picking up a copy on the cheap to play. I couldn't be more glad that I did. I was so humbled by how good this game ended up being despite my predictions, that I gave Revelations a free pass to be bad in all the ways I anticipated this game would be.

x. Rayman Origins ; At this point, I've only played through the first world. The game is a lot of fun to play and simply oozes charm. If the platforming ramps up accordingly, this game will almost assuredly bump a game off the list.

x. Pokemon Black ; Part of me would put this in the top ten, but this game is really nothing special, just more Pokemon, which I happen to like a lot.

x. WWE All Stars ; Wrestling games are a guilty pleasure of mine, so while I'm not as relieved as some that someone finally made a decent one again after all these years, I'm glad they made a game that other people can enjoy, too.

x. You Don't Know Jack ; I tried to get my friends to play this with me, but they hated it, and it was a disaster, but I love the game's humor, its presentation, and the mind fucking ways it poses its questions. I didn't play that many games this year, since just about everything I had any interest in playing came out in the past three months and I waited until after Thanksgiving to pick up any of them, so You Don't Know Jack gets this spot.

Wish I had played:
Bastion ; There's no way this game can live up to what it's been built up to be for me, but I look forward to being wrong.
Rayman Origins ; I am a bad person and am waiting for the price on this to continue to plummet, but I should love it.

Super Mario 3D Land ; No interest in owning a 3DS aside from playing this game.
Uncharted 3 ; I find these games to be good dumb fun.
Xenoblade Chronicles ; I really hate playing games on the Wii for some reason, but I love JRPGs, will try almost any of them, and will forgive bad ones more easily than most as long as they are mechanically sound, so this has a chance to make me rethink my entire list, or set the bar for my 2012 list, since it will be released in the U.S. this year.

Sort of want to play:
Catherine ; Still never really got over that this ended up being a block pushing game.
Dead Island ; I think zombies are stupid, and this game didn't look like much of an RPG, which is my only interest in it.
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ; I hate motion controls and didn't actually have a Wii Motion Plus until, like, yesterday. The only Zelda I ever finished was Twilight Princess. On Gamecube.

Willing to give another shot:
Dark Souls ; I did not have fun playing Demon's Souls and stopped at roughly 75% through the game, but I'm a fool and am willing to try again with Dark Souls because of how beloved it is and because have read some people who felt the same was about Demon's Souls and really liked Dark Souls. This is, however, low priority.

Technically counts this year, but I played it last year:
Mass Effect 2 ; At this point it's been nearly two years since I played ME2 and I remember thinking at the time, "This may be my favorite game of all time right now". While I'm not sure about that, since Mario 3 and Pokemon have stood the test of time, it is still up there. As I think about where I would place it this year, I realize how good the games are this year that something that is one of my favorite games I've played has competition from three games this year, and there are a handful of games from this year that I wish I had played, but haven't yet.

LOCK

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ; At first I didn't know what to think about this Zelda. After finishing the game I came to the conclusion that not only does it have its flaws (motion controls) it still manages to do many things right (motion controls). So naturally I felt conflicted, but once you sum up the whole game I feel that not only does it have the best story, best dungeons, some of the best bosses, and the best world, it wasn't hard to say that it has become my favorite Zelda. It may be my favorite Zelda but I still don't know if I want to call it the best Zelda. I still consider OoT the best game I have ever played (in context of its release).
2. Super Mario 3D Land ; Can you say surprising! Where did this come from Nintendo, it is like your best kept secret. I don't know why I wasn't as hyped for a Mario game but man did this game deliver the best handheld experience I've had in years.
3. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception ; I was a little disappointed in the ending and the fleshing out of the characters. Other than that, this game was essentially perfect.
4. Batman: Arkham City ; Way better than the first, and it plays like a champ. I just wish there was more to do than collect crap.
5. Rayman Origins ; Award for most beautiful game of the year. Ancel deserves more praise, and many of you need to buy this game. Second best platformer this year.
6. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings ; I never even got to finish playing this game since I was using a friends copy and PC. But what I did play was amazing. It may well have been in my top two. Excited for the console release just so I can get to finishing this.
7. Portal 2 ; Great puzzles, and mind-benders, but I hate to say this I did get a little bored.
8. Dead Space 2 ; This isn't a horror game but rather an action-adventure set in a post-apocalyptic scenario in space. Yep amazing.
9. Gears of War 3 ; All I think I need to say is that this is the best Gears.
10. Assassin's Creed: Revelations ; Great game, didn't like some of the new additions. Not sad to see the end of Enzio.

x. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ; This game would have been in my top 3 if not for all the technical flaws. I'm sorry but I can't call this a top quality product.
x. Deus Ex: Human Revolution ; Still playing this, and it has its goods along with its bads, but I still feel it deserves an honorable mention anyway.
x. Nintendogs + cats ; This has been my most played 3DS game because I play it with my nephews all the time and I must say I'm in love. Also cat sleeping poses deserve an honorable mention. ^-^

2010. Vanquish ; Started it last year and played for like an hour or two. Finally finished it this year and it really is a great game.

I don't know if I really like my top 10, but oh wells. Still have a lot of stuff to play from this year, a lot of handheld stuff also.

Xellos

1. Super Mario 3D Land
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
3. Portal 2
4. Rayman Origins
5. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
6. Batman: Arkham City
7. Mighty Switch Force
8. Ghost Trick
9. Duke Nukem Forever
10. Pilotwings Resort

X. Bulletstorm
X. Steel Diver

Booshka

I was thinking of playing more games that came out this year to completion before the deadline, but that didn't happen. So here is my list.

1. Dark Souls (my GOTY)

2. Portal 2

In no order:

1. The Witcher 2
2. Battlefield 3
3. Deus Ex Human Revolution
4. Skyrim
5. Saint's Row The Third
6. Batman Arkham City
7. Bulletstorm
8. Bastion
9. Infamous 2/Infamous Festival of Blood
10. Uncharted 3

BIG honorable mentions:

x. Jamestown - Indie shoot 'em up love.
x. Crysis 2 - Mindblowing graphics and nice, tight, linear Crysis gameplay.
x. Hard Reset - Total throwback to awesome old shooters
x. Serious Sam 3 - ditto

TripOpt55

This is my list at the moment. Want to get it up for the voting. Of course, over time could change. Especially as I finish more games. Still pretty happy with these picks.

1. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception ; It isn't as good as Uncharted 2 to me for a quite a few reasons, but given how much I loved that game, that isn't the worst flaw. When I really thought back on which game I had the most fun with this year it was this. The campaign was a blast and I am still digging the multiplayer now (especially 3-team deathmatch!).

2. Rayman: Origins ; Just got this for Christmas and it blew me away. The platforming feels great. It is challenging without being frsutrating. Each area you get a new ability and the level design totally takes advantage of it. Brilliant graphics as well. Awesome game.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ; Haven't quite finished this one yet, but love it so far. Great art style. The dungeon designs and bosses have been great as have some of the new items. A few of the motion controls are pretty meh, but otherwise I love it.

4. LittleBigPlanet 2 ; Just had a blast playing the campaign and all kinds of co-op. Also some really cool user made levels. And the various mini-game type levels were fun. Wish I would have made time to finish creating a level. That kind of got away from me.

5. Portal 2 ; Loved the well-designed puzzles. The game was hilarious with some great writing and characters. The co-op was what really blew me away. The way they put the two portal guns to work was excellent and I had a blast playing with my buddy splitscreen.

6. Okamiden ; Haven't quite finished this either, but really like it. It is no Okami, but it is a really good take on the series in handheld form. Really need to get back to it.

7. Outland ; One of my favorite downloadable games to date. Really cool color switching mechanic, excellent level design and fantastic bosses are really the things that make it standout to me.

I am going to stop at 7 as those are the ones that stood out for me. I did enjoy some others, but these rose to the top I think.

1. The Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim

2. Rayman Origins

3. Forza Motorsport 4

4. Deus Ex : Human Revolution

5. Rage

6. Portal 2

7. Shadow of the Damned

8. Child of Eden

9. From Dust

10. Sonic Generations

x. The Gunstringer

x. The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time 3D

Jarmel

Banned
1. Arkham City
2. Dead Space 2
3. Uncharted 3
4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5. Portal 2
6. Shadows of the Damned
7. Skyrim
8. Gears of War 3
9. Infamous 2
10. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
2. Portal 2
3. Saints Row The Third
4. Witcher 2
5. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
6. Batman Arkham City
7. Dark Souls
8. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
9. Battlefield 3
10. Fortune Street

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
1. Xenoblade Chronicles
2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
4. Dark Souls
5. Battlefield 3
6. Mario Kart 7
7. Radiant Historia
8. Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
9. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
10. Arcana Heart 3

AniHawk

i would also like an extension, but oh well. i only had two more games to beat from 2011 anyway.

work really ate away at my usual unemployment schedule.

DiscoJer

1) Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

Basically the best SRPG ever made got so much better

2) Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

People who say they like JRPGs really need to play this, it's like going back to the SNES days, only with a much deeper game

3) City of Heroes: Freedom

Okay, actually an old MMORPG, but this year it went free, so it should count? Maybe? Doesn't exactly feel like a superhero game, in a sense almost like a Shadowrun game (or something like it).

I think this was the first year I didn't buy a new game for my 360, and my PC backlog is huge, so didn't get one for it, either.

JaCy

1. Skyrim
2. Portal 2
3. Alice: Madness Returns
4. Pokemon B/W
5. L.A Noire
6. Bastion
7. Dead Space 2
8. Dragon Quest VI
9. Assassins Creed: Revelations
10. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

windfish

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ; Went from little Hype to no Hype at all during everything i saw E3 and pre release, i felt it looked empty, too soft, hated the beatle, feared for another Spirit Tracks or something along the line of mediocre Zelda Games...well turned out to be it was one of the most beautiful and fun Games in the Series. Best Dungeons in a long time.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles ; Best JRPG i played since FF XII, guess it just fits my taste of a more action oriented RPG. Loved the Cast and the World is jaw dropping.

3. Dark Souls ; Made many things better than Demon's Souls, a few things worse. Overall i like that they ditched the Hub-World and yet its still there somehow...also it is not that much harder, if not harder at all, but that is a good thing in my book.

4. Ghost Trick ; Heart warming, fun, clever, awesome art, Missile, great until the end.

5. Yakuza 4 ; Pretty good Yakuza game which means pretty damn awesome Game overall. Still want my Shenmue 3 :(

6. Super Mario 3D Land

7. Shadows of the Damned

8. Pokemon Black/White

9. Donkey Kong Country Returns

10. Minecraft

x. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

x. Mario Kart 7

2010. Deadly Premonition

1. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword: The 3D Zelda formula taken to its logical conclusion. Fantastic and accurate motion controls coupled with traditional Zelda goodness makes this one of my favorite games all generation.

2. Mario Kart 7: Somewhat of a refinement of the Wii game. The 3D Effect is great and the online aspect is better than it's ever been. Other than that, it's Mario Kart.

3. Ghost Trick: Shu Takumi (Phoenix Wright dude) has another charming adventure game on his hands. Fun writing, neat trial and error gameplay, and an absolutely heartwarming story. Oh, and Missile is the best video game character OF ALL TIME.

4. Catherine: You can tell this is from the Persona team since it's addictive as hell, a hard feat considering the obscure the nature of this game and the inability to make it sound appealing when describing it. Never before would I think moving blocks around could be so epic.

5. Super Mario 3D Land: Best 3D on the handheld and a refreshing take on the franchise with shorter, more compact levels that gave me more of a nostalgia rush than even the NSMB games.

6. Corpse Party: Really creepy horror adventure game with some super disturbing content and a story that made my jaw drop. Never thought I would actually have trouble walking down a hallway in a game with sprites. Still can't get the ending out of my head.

7. Disgaea 4: Standard Disgaea game absolutely overflowing with content. With more options than ever, I ended up spending a lot more time on it than I did with the other games in the series. Still didn't go crazy with it like other people do, but I did beat a few of the post-game super bosses.

8. Kirby's Return to Dreamland: Now THIS is what Kirby is all about. Still easy, but just as fun and satisfying as the series has always been. Loved the new super moves even if they were limited.

9. Sonic Generations: Probably one of the coolest "remakes" I have ever seen. They really added a ton to some of the most beloved stages in the franchise, even ones that are a year or 2 old. Sonic Team has definitely come a long way since the abominations that were Shadow and Sonic 2006.

10. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky: Awesome Grandia-like gameplay and a good (albeit slowburning) story. Hope the sequel comes soon.

x: Radiant Historia
xx. Pilotwings Resort

2010: 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors: Good story and one of the most creative uses of the medium as a way to tell stories I have ever seen.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
1.Uncharted 3
2. Skyrim
3. Deus ex revolution
4. Portal 2

Mr. Sam

Oh!

Well then, my body is ready.

I think some HD collections are counted - there are just certain conditions which have to be fulfilled. I think the remastered version has to have been changed to a certain extent. Halo: CEA is allowed, for example.

However:

Asked about games that are not allowed: DOTA 2, Diablo 3 beta, Resident Evil 4 HD, Team ICO HD Collection, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, God of War Origins HD Collection

So... yeah.

deleted

Since Dota2 shall not be named, my list is not very long ;)

1. Portal 2
2. Kirby's Return to Dreamland
3. Rayman Origins (liked it so much, that I bought Rayman 2 on gog and played that for the 1. time)
4. Orcs must die! (perfect little game, just missing multiplayer)
5. Dungeon Defenders (OmD has the better gameplay, but the loot and multiplayer makes this one stand for itself)
6. Batman: Arkham City (I'm not through the game yet, but its shaping up to be on par with the last one)

2010: Donkey Kong Country Returns

Not that much, but I play mostly multiplayer games and games from my backlog.

R&R

My top 10

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2. DiRT 3
3. Forza Motorsport 4
4. LA Noire
5. Dead Space 2
6. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
7. Killzone 3
8. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
9. Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation
10. Dead Space (iOS/Android)

1 Portal 2
2 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
3 Warhammer: Dawn of War II – Retribution

4 Frozen Synapse
5 The Witcher 2
6 Space Chem
7 Total War: Shogun 2
8 Stacking
9 Trine 2
10 Gemini Rue

Inkblot

1. Renegade Ops ; picked this over Batman just because I'm a simple man, I like shooting and explosions... It's timeless arcadey fun, I kept going back to it after hitting max level and despite having a huge, growing backlog of great, bigger games
2. Batman Arkham City ; just a fantastic game, Arkham Asylum didn't click with me, but this one is almost the perfect video game
3. Dirt3 ; looks beautiful, perfect handling, awesome multiplayer and Gymkhana brought some nice original variety
4. Sonic Generations ; I think I got more pleasure from watching speedruns than actually playing myself, but I'm just so happy to see Sonic come back strong...
5. Driver San Fransisco ; some great car chase moments
6. Forza 4 ; I'm getting hooked on the painting, wish I had time to do more, it's extremely rewarding to create something awesome
7. Saints Row 3 ; I love it, but other games are pulling me away from finishing it
8. Battlefield 3 ; late edit, I'm just getting into it now, it deserves a vote

Close but no cigar - Trine 2, Bulletstorm, Hard Reset, Portal 2, Rage

2010 - Splinter Cell Conviction

Ball3r

1.The Witcher 2
2.Dark Souls
3.Gears of War 3
4.Xenoblade
5.Deus Ex HR
6.Skyrim
7.Bastion
8.Portal 2
9.Skyward Sword
10.Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Randomizer

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Like every Zelda since Ocarina of Time I was slightly disappointed but that's my own fault, as each time my hype reaches psychotic levels and I go in excepting the best game ever which it certainly wasn't. What I got was still an amazing game albeit with some padding and hand holding issues. I loved the art style, motion controls in most cases particularly the sword fighting and it's attempts at shaking things up. Biggest disappointment was the soundtrack, it was great and all, Fi's theme is absolutely amazing but I was expecting Mario Galaxy level's of greatness and was left disappointed. Still far and away the most fun I've had from a new release this year.

2. Dark Souls - A beautifully crafted world with a deep and challenging combat system. The seamlessness of the world was amazing, I loved how short-cuts connected parts that seemed miles apart. It did fall apart near the end but was still a wonderful experience and one I would love to revisit when my backlog isn't an issue. As someone who rarely plays online and prefers single player experiences the online implementation was perfect for my play style too.

3. Uncharted 3 - A great yet somewhat disappointing sequel. Out of this world production values, polish and art design but at times the game felt rushed and it didn't have as much of an impact as Uncharted 2. If this game were on PC with full 1080p and with all the trimmings I reckon it would easily be the best looking game ever created and as such I salivate at the thought of Naughty Dogs first attempt with PS4 hardware and of course can't wait for The Last of Us.

4. Super Mario 3D Land - The gameplay of 2D Mario games translated into 3d. Crammed full of content and perfect portable bite size levels with wonderful level design. When other games such as Crash Bandicoot basically just took 2D platformer gameplay and transformed into 3D, Nintendo went in a different direction and completely revolutionised 3D gaming with the amazing SM64. This game is how I imagine Mario 64 would have been had Nintendo went in the other direction. Can't wait to see what EAD Tokyo have in store for Wii U.

5. Ghost Trick - Charming, wonderful and clever adventure/puzzle game. Has the story and charm of the Phoenix Wright series but has actual interesting gameplay. No one does compelling mystery and lovable unique characters quite as well as Shu Takumi.

6. Portal 2 - Funniest game of the year, possibly ever. The game oozed charm and if it hadn't been so easy if may have ranked higher on my list. The first Portal was a game that IMO really didn't need a sequel but this game is better than the original in ever conceivable way which is quite the accomplishment.

7. Xenoblade Chronicles - Over 40 hours into this and still only half way. A behemoth of a game with a gorgeously designed unique world. The combat system is great and very similar to to FFXII's but only much faster and imo more fun. Whilst impressive the size of the game is also one of it's faults(well in my case). As a completionist the games often mundane side quests have caused me to put the main story on the backburner for fear of missing out on quests. I can't wait to delve deeper into the story and finally finish it.

8. Rayman Origins- A beautiful, whimsical 2D platformer. This generation has delivered some amazing platformers and this is no exception. The level design is top notch and the difficult is just right. Easy at the start and ramps up in later worlds. Some of the later levels are frustrating but I found it was mostly the controls at fault, which is probably the game's biggest problem. The soundtrack was also a surprising stand out, it was extremely original the songs were fun and often quite strange but in a good way.

9.Mario Kart 7 - For years every Mario Kart since Mario 64 disappointed me in some ways in not capturing the feel of that game but recently I've come to realise that I actually appreciate them all in their own ways. This one has some great tracks, fixed battle mode (mostly) and can be great fun online(minus the cheaters). What I really am impressed with is the time trials just like in Mario Kart Wii they are what draws you back to single player when you've completed all the cups. Racing spotpass ghosts and learning their techniques not only shaves seconds off your time but also makes you a better player overall. Spend enough time racing ghosts and you too will have a 3-star rank and come first in almost every match([spoilers]damn you blue shell[/spoilers]!)

10. Batman Arkham City - Another sequel another slight disappointment. Story was all over the place and the Riddler collectathon was terrible. Gameplay, level of polish are extremely good and whilst I find the combat to be less deep than many of it's contemporaries it is still decent and one the best examples of context sensitive combat. Some of the character models are very good and well detailed and the animations can be amazing, Catwoman's fighting animations in particular impressed me greatly.

X. Ocarina of time 3d would probably top my list but I wanted to include original games only.
X. The Witcher 2 In certain scenes this is the best looking game I've ever see. Gameplay wise it was fun but rather unexceptional. The Demon's Soul's influence is certainly clear in the combat system but it's extremely unbalanced, very hard at first and extremely easy by the end. I must have died more times in chapter 1 than at all other parts of the game combined. Game completely and utterly fell apart at chapter 3 and signs of a rushed development were clearly present.
X. MvC 3 extremely fun and frantic fighting game now if only I didn't suck at it.
X.Bastion

2010. Deadly Premonition - This was really hard to choose as I missed out on some amazing games last year including Red Dead Redemption, Nier and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Nier and Deadly Premonition were much more than just fun games they were incredible experiences and very unique and I would probably rate them higher than any of this years candidates.

I have so many unfinished/missed games from this year I kind of feel it's unfair to vote but I didn't want to lose out on my vote. Still needed to invest more time into Deus Ex, Skyrim, Pokemon B/W and many others.

Suzzopher

1. Deus Ex Human Revolution - Great reinvention for the series, they nailed the feel of the original whilst making the game fresh.
2. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword - Nintendo finally made the game they always hinted they were capable of.
3. Batman Arkham City - More Zelda than Metroid this time, but again a class act from start to finish.
4. Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together - This is how you do a remake. The most addictive game I have ever played.
5. Xenoblade Chronicles - Monolith advance the JRPG genre better than anyone before them. Great combat, music, checkpointing and characters.
6. Super Mario 3D Land
7. inFAMOUS 2
8. Radiant Historia
9. Yakuza 4
10. Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
2. Xenoblade
3. Ghost Trick
4. Super Mario 3D Land
5. Mario Kart 7
6. Kirby's Return to Dreamland
7. Pokémon Black and White
8. Radiant Historia
9. Kirby Mass Attack
10. Solatorobo

* Minna no Rhythm Tengoku / Rhythm Heaven Fever will get my vote in 2012.

K' Dash

1- Dead Space 2
2- Dark Souls
3- Catherine

4- Skyrim
5- Gears of War 3
6- RE4 HD
7- Portal 2
8- Forza 4
9- Shadows of The Damned
10- Child of Eden

This is from what I played this year, I haven't had the opportunity to play Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3 or Xenoblade, so there it is.

1. Portal 2 - Just a genuinely funny game. While it's certainly missing the subtle dark humour of the first, it makes up for it in scale, humour, and polish. I don't think any game has made me smile more this year.

2. Terraria - Addictive. The side scrolling element I think is a wondrous degree of separation from Minecraft, essentially making the game a randomized, open world Metroidvania game, which is more than enough for me to make it my second favourite of the year.

3. Bastion - The game mixes soundtrack and gameplay like milk and honey. Amazing little game and probably the best surprise this year.

4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - A bit disappointing, but nonetheless entertaining, thoughtful, and endearing. The motion controls were really slick when they decided to work (which was most of the time) and the experimental structure and setting were really interesting, though a bit repetitive. Not the best Zelda game, but definitely a great one.

5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Roughly seventy hours in and I'm still finding new things to do. I've never been more impressed with a game's breadth before in this generation.

6. Batman: Arkham City - A fucking fantastic use of a license. Much like Portal 2 does, it builds on the greatness of the first game and cranks up the scope. There are just way too many distractions begging for your attention while doing the main quest, and that alone is sufficient. The quality of these side quests are what makes a big difference from other games.

7. Radiant Historia - I thought it was a great throwback to the RPGs of old, while adding in some interesting and unique mechanics.

8. Super Mario 3D Land - Inventive and refreshing. How could I not put the best game on 3DS on the list?

9. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - This game is just full of wit, and looks beautiful to boot. I just absolutely love the art style and animation, and the gameplay, I think, is just merely a complement to that. Although it does that pretty well too, of course.

10. Orcs Must Die! - A great take on the tower defence genre, full of humour and liveliness and more hands on action than you can ask for from this type of game. It's pretty challenging too, to boot.

And here are some games that I'd like to add, but couldn't, because I didn't play enough of them:

Dark Souls
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Bulletstorm
From Dust
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom