• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom expects to ship 1.2m copies of Dead Rising 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkhero1

I think it will do just fine. Advertise during The Walking Dead or something. People love their zombies.

I haven't been following Xbox One news but it's a launch game right?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I could see it hitting that, depending on how well the Xbone actually does at launch... mostly because zombies and limited software availability can be a powerful combo. It's not an easy target to hit, but I don't think they're being unreasonable.

Mesoian

They'll do it. Easily, it's a launch game. People need things to play.

Barring the XBone...exploding or something, I could see them hitting 2 million by april.

Yeah ZombieU made a killing, so this should be a hit. Plus zombie games are few and far between.

...What other zombie games will be available for the XBone?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This certainly a reasonable number to expect given that Capcom handed off the publishing details to Microsoft.

evolution

I guess its possible before April, Somethings gotta give though, How much money do they expect people to spend at a launch? Its going up against everything.

I think it will do just fine. Advertise during The Walking Dead or something. People love their zombies.

I haven't been following Xbox One news but it's a launch game right?

Yes, and it's the one exclusive with the most marketing behind it.

It will do just fine. The Xbox One will sell fairly well at launch (can't say for following shipments), and this and Forza will probably be competing for the top pick for attaching to that launch system.

I'm just glad they set their sights realistically given it's releasing on a new system.

Yeah ZombieU made a killing, so this should be a hit. Plus zombie games are few and far between.

Sarcasm? ZombiU was a good game, albeit rushed, on a floundering system that hardly caters to that audience. And there isn't that many zombie games on consoles. Tell Tale's The Walking Dead, Dead Rising...maybe Resident Evil if they go back/stay that route. Anything else is some bonus or mod. There are far more racing, fighting, traditional fantasy, and military shooters out there.

Mesoian

It's actually a good game, different to be sure, but good. Too bad it was sent to die.

It is a safe, middling, uninteresting 3rd person shooter. If it didn't have the Lost Planet name on it, which stands for something VERY different, it probably would have sold better out of curiosity.

Do you honestly believe DR3 will have that kind of attach rate?

How is DR3 doing on amazon preorder chart anyway.?

It's possible, I doubt it will reach the number Capcom want, but with a decent ad campaign behind it, it should do reasonably well.

That and it;'s easily one of the most interested and fun games on the X1 at launch.

That doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all.

until you saw ass creed 4, cod, bf 4, nba 2k14, and forza 5 all coming at launch. has there ever been a game which achieved more weekly sales than its first 2 weeks? sales will drop week after week. only certain games can maintain high weekly/monthly sales.

Marleyman

Banned
Yeah ZombieU made a killing

Bill-Simmons-Says-Wow-2013-NBA-Draft.gif

StuBurns

Banned
1:4 attach rate (through March) for a non-system seller? That doesn't seem unreasonable?
Did they say by March? I mean in it's entire life, I wouldn't be surprised if it crawled to 1.2m over the next year at all.

I also think other than KZ, it's going to be the best selling exclusive on XBO till TitanFall.

How many games do people expect others to buy after plopping down 500$?

At most the majority of people will be getting 2-3 games.

So Battlefield or Call of Duty, Killer Instinct, and perhaps Ryse or Dead Rising 3.

That is my best guess for the way the sales will go on X1.

But I mean, still MS has said nothing about pre-order numbers, and with all the negative press they would have said " oh yeah we are at 1.5m pre-orders too! " pretty quickly.

I dunno about that number, seems rather ... confident. Confident that 70% of all X1 owners buy your product.

Dezzy

It will probably reach that goal simply because it's one of the few main launch games. One of the nice bonuses about being a launch game is that people don't have many choices, so if they want a new shiny game, they'll probably grab it.

They are hoping for 1.2m through the games lifetime? Or just the first month it's available. I'm hoping for their sake it's the former.

Why does everything have to sell million+ right at release? It's likely a projection for the quarter.

It is a safe, middling, uninteresting 3rd person shooter. If it didn't have the Lost Planet name on it, which stands for something VERY different, it probably would have sold better out of curiosity.

It was missing that "over-the-top Capcom" gameplay according to Capcom.

1:4 attach rate (through March) for a non-system seller? That doesn't seem unreasonable?

No, it doesn't. Something doesn't have to be a system seller to do well. The Last of Us did just fine, and that was a new IP. If we are going to look at it that way, then nothing is going to do well.

The game has the most/widest marketing behind it of any XBOne title. Unless people are out to buy XBOne just for Forza, it's likely to be the best selling launch exclusive.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sarcasm? ZombiU was a good game, albeit rushed, on a floundering system that hardly caters to that audience. And there isn't that many zombie games on consoles. Tell Tale's The Walking Dead, Dead Rising...maybe Resident Evil if they go back/stay that route. Anything else is some bonus or mod. There are far more racing, fighting, traditional fantasy, and military shooters out there.

Left 4 Dead, Dead Island, State of Decay, last of Us (kinda), ZombiU, House of the Dead...I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple.

What I don't get is that Microsoft rescued this game as it wasn't going to be made right? But now that it is they expect 1.3 million copies to ship?
Wouldn't it have been worth making in the first place if they had that much confidence in it? And especially as a multi platform game?

I don't know, but 1.3 million is nothing to sneeze at. It's a large number for a zombie game to hit in the face of juggernauts like CoD, BF3, Forza 5 and AC. Even Ryse will probably outsell it. I don't see it happening. Especially if the reviews wind up being so so.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
That's roughly a 20% attach rate if the 5M figure by March is correct.

Thats pretty high and a big number for MS to hit.

It's not impossible, but I would think 500-700k is more likely.

Dead Rising is much bigger than Forza in America, DR2 was much bigger on 360 than PS3, and Killer Instinct has no retail presence. On a ravenous userbase with only a handful of true exclusives before March, it is bound to overachieve.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
It's a launch title with a huge marketing push behind it. I'd be surprised if it didn't hit those figures.

I played the previous games and one think I know. After 15 to 20 hours it get very lame , at least it has for me. I don't think I would get this game new maybe used. I figure most may do the same. This would hurt that target number they shooting for no question.

Bruno MB

Dead Rising (released on August, 2006) shipped more than 500,000 units in its first two weeks (Xbox 360 had sold 2.4 million systems). That's only in North America since it was released in Europe and Japan a month later. As of end of December, 2006 it had already shipped over 1 million units worldwide.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Completely expect a shipment of 1.2MM in this timeframe. Capcom is king of stuffing and then eating it later, so not surprising even if the xbox superbombed and sold 8 units.

sörine

Banned
Microsoft has been pushing it hard, I think they're trying to position it as their launch tentpole with Forza. I've seen more television ads for the game than any other Capcom title since probably RE6.

1.2m is still rather high for launch though and Capcom's recent track record with HD games doesn't really inspire much confidence. I can't remember the last time a major HD game of theirs hit it's initial projection?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
That sounds really reasonable. I mean I can assume most people who buy an xbone will buy DR3 because of the small selection. Demand for DR3 should be high enough to warrant shipping 1.2 mil copies.

zainetor

Banned
sörine;88265779 said:
Microsoft has been pushing it hard, I think they're trying to position it as their launch tentpole with Forza. I've seen more television ads for the game than any other Capcom title since probably RE6.

1.2m is still rather high for launch though and Capcom's recent track record with HD games doesn't really inspire much confidence. I can't remember the last time a major HD game of theirs hit it's initial projection?

that's because they had insanely high projections. This one seems more reasonable.

javac

It'll be one of the games people pick up with Xbox One so that's more than achievable. People posting reaction gifs are just being stupid I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom