• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom expects to ship 1.2m copies of Dead Rising 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
For comparative purposes and as an example of shipping stupid amounts of titles.

Capcom shipped 300K units of Lost Planet 3 last quarter.

It sold less than 10K for all platforms in NPD August. It's unlikely to have done much better in September.
It sold 34K in Japan on the PS3, first week, per Famitsu.

Gxgear

Yeah that's what I took from it. They expect 4 months of sales to be 1.2 copies. I guess they said "shipped" so as long as they can stock those shelves, it doesn't matter how many copies actual gamers buy.

Not to mention with a 5 million unit forecast of Xbone sold (shipped), it's entire plausible to think 1 in 5 people would want to check out a relatively publicized 3rd party Xbone exclusive.

Into

The difference between Dead Rising and its situation on the 360 and Dead Rising 3 on Xbone is that the purchasing habits of consumers has been more front loaded on the biggest games aka the "heavy hitters" and all the heavy hitters are coming out at the same time as DR3, Call of Duty, FIFA, Madden, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4, Need for Speed etc.

So no, i do not think they will reach that number, the cost of the Xbox One is already high enough at 500 smackaronies' at best the average buyer might buy 1-2 games, chances are it will be the titles i mentioned.

I don't understand the stupid gifs and response. It's a major exclusive on a brand new console, i'd say it will probably sell more than that.

UNCMark

Banned
I'll wait until I see reviews before I say whether or not they have a chance of hitting that. If the reviews are good, they should have no problem.

Rand6

The difference between Dead Rising and its situation on the 360 and Dead Rising 3 on Xbone is that the purchasing habits of consumers has been more front loaded on the biggest games aka the "heavy hitters" and all the heavy hitters are coming out at the same time as DR3, Call of Duty, FIFA, Madden, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4, Need for Speed etc.

So no, i do not think they will reach that number, the cost of the Xbox One is already high enough at 500 smackaronies' at best the average buyer might buy 1-2 games, chances are it will be the titles i mentioned.

I know it doesn't mean anything but this is Amazon best seller ranking for Xbox One : http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ames/6469296011/ref=zg_bs_nav_vg_2_6469269011

Dead Rising 3 is above Madden, Fifa or AC4.

I don't understand the stupid gifs and response. It's a major exclusive on a brand new console, i'd say it will probably sell more than that.

Pretty much. You can't compare DR3 to prior DR games or other Capcom games. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people who have never played a DR game or have never liked a DR game would still pick up DR3 because they need something to play at launch.

The problem with that analogy is you're comparing 360's final years with it's giant library and almost weekly heavy hitter release schedule to the XBONE launching with a limited library and one that won't grow that much going forward in the short term.
Chances are that the major titles from Novembers launch will still be the titles getting picked up in Q1 & Q2 when people are picking up the console.

Duxxy3

The original dead rising didn't have to compete with killer titles like dead rising 3 will have to do. It was released in a dry period before the PS3 and Wii came out.

500k, maybe 800k, is much more likely.

synce

Sales of LP3 below expectations... Expect to hear the same thing about DR3. Capcom doesn't get it

Raide

Hrmm...might actually do it. The Xbox One lineup if pretty diverse and DR3 is the only next-gen zombie game out there. There are only so many shooters people will buy at launch, so if they want some zombie fun, DR3 will have them covered.

koutoru

Personally, I think it's actually a realistic number to hit as long as they don't expect it to hit that number in a month or so.

Copenap

To get the console wars tension out of the way, I wouldn't expect it to achieve that on the PS4 either.

That said, the most optimistic forecasts for Xbox One sales till March are 5million units I believe. So that's already an attachment rate of ~25% in the best case. One in 4 persons buying an Xbox One need to buy DR3 and if Xbox One sells less, let's say 4 million units which I believe isn't unreasonable, it would need to be 30% already.

Now you're thinking, "well, but it's a console launch so the compitition for sales isn't that big".

While that is true to some degree there are still a ton of huge third party franchises releasing. Battlefield 4, CoD, AssCreed 4 which are all way bigger franchises.

Add to this the other first party releases and the fact that sales nowadays are heavily frontloaded which means the most sales will most likely come from the first couple of weeks, where the total number of Xbox One units sold will be even less (though I'm not entirely sure that's true for release window periods).

Last but not least you also have to keep in mind that it's a M/18 rated game (depending on the country I guess) so that is shrinking the possible buyers even more.

That's why I conclude that goal is pretty ambitious. It's not impossible though.

Into

The problem with that analogy is you're comparing 360's final years with it's giant library and almost weekly heavy hitter release schedule to the XBONE launching with a limited library and one that won't grow that much going forward in the short term.
Chances are that the major titles from Novembers launch will still be the titles getting picked up in Q1 & Q2 when people are picking up the console.

It is not a limited library in terms of heavy hitters though, its actually loaded, every major third party game is present this time around. Which it was not at launch for 360 nor was it in august of 2006 when Dead Rising came out. With a system this expensive it will struggle to steal dollars from the likes of CoD, BF4, AC4, Madden, FIFA and the like.

Last but not least you also have to keep in mind that it's a M/18 rated game (depending on the country I guess) so that is shrinking the possible buyers even more.

That's why I conclude that goal is pretty ambitious. It's not impossible though.
Forgot about that; iirc, the game is actually banned in Germany, so that's one out of the thirteen markets XB1 is launching in gone.

I think they could ship these numbers. But there'll basically be a ton of them sitting in warehouses and it will be like $10/10 euro/6 pounds before long.

krumble

If I were buying xbone on launch (not in my budget this year unfortunately)

I would pick up forza 5 and dead rising 3

I think this is a realistic goal given the launch line up

Seems reasonable. Game is incredibly fun and really should be everyone's day one purchase list. So awesome and virtually everything has been improved over previous games.

sleepykyo

Seems not only possible, but also probable. New console, open-world, zombie game, Microsoft exclusive, etc.

Not particularly happy about the whole raise dlc sales by full game download and add--on game content.

Also what a difference a comma makes. LP3 does 300k below expectations is bad enough. LP3 does 300k, below expectations in Europe and NA sounds like quite the bomba.

EA expects there to be 10 million PS4s and XboxOne's sold by the end of the fiscal year.

Even if PS4 outsells Xbox One (which most people expect to happen), no way that's going to be a 9:1 difference. More like 6 million PS4s and 4 million Xbox's. And, with a 1:4 attach rate, it's doable. Especially for a launch game.

speaking of console sales what has Nostradamus been saying?

Bruno MB

We shouldn't underestimate Capcom when it comes to channel stuffing. We are talking about the same company that shipped a million units of Super Street Fighter IV: 3D for 3DS launch.

Lost Planet 3 shipped figure (300k) confirms that download sales weren't previously included in the Capcom total sales section.

SystemsGo

Banned
For comparative purposes and as an example of shipping stupid amounts of titles.

Capcom shipped 300K units of Lost Planet 3 last quarter.

It sold less than 10K for all platforms in NPD August. It's unlikely to have done much better in September.
It sold 34K in Japan on the PS3, first week, per Famitsu.

Sweet, I get to pick it up from the bargain bin sooner than I thought.

Radec

Its a launch title. And I doubt 80% of Xbone users by the end of march will have this game.

Good luck capcom.

Its a launch title. And I doubt 80% of Xbone users by the end of march will have this game.

Good luck capcom.

Why? It's one of the more interesting looking launch titles and the current zed craze should see it sell reasonably well. Will it achieve 1.2m sold or shipped? Probably not, but I think it will come close...

Capcom seems like the only publisher still content with great sales (500k-1.m)

The others are all in some greed fueled delirium expecting 3-5 million sales, closing studios that 'only' get 1-1.5 m sales, and spending 50+ million on marketing, the voices in their head all shanting 'opportunity cost, opportunity cost' in canon

Capcom seems like the only publisher still content with great sales (500k-1.m)

The others are all in some greed fueled delyrium expecting 3-5 million sales, closing studios that 'only' get 1-1.5 m sales, and spending 50+ million on marketing.

They apparently aren't paying for development and likely won't be paying for the ad campaign, I think 500k to 1m sales is reason enough for them to celebrate.

Radec

Why? It's one of the more interesting looking launch titles and the current zed craze should see it sell reasonably well. Will it achieve 1.2m sold or shipped? Probably not, but I think it will come close...

Do you honestly believe DR3 will have that kind of attach rate?

How is DR3 doing on amazon preorder chart anyway.?

Celine

Unexpectedly achievable prediction by Capcom.
Seems they are tired to miss the forecast of their titles...

I just realized that DR3 is the only game technically by a japanese company (but in reality developed by a canadian dev) that will be ready in the Xbox One and PS4 launch window (well there is Knack but it's clear it is a SCE America project).
It's just a sad fact for someone like me that grow up with japanese games since late '80.

SeanNaess

Neo Member
Well they could easily have access to pre-order numbers and make their estimates based off that. I can definitely see it selling 1.2 million by the end of their fiscal year. It's one of the main reasons why I'm purchasing an Xbox One at launch! :)

Edit: All titles will be available for download from day one. So I wouldn't be surprised if Dead Rising 3 sells a lot bit more for all the people out there who are going all digital.

This is unlike Capcom, seems pretty conservative! Perhaps its based on Microsofts estimations but I would like to hope that would be pretty achievable.

EMT0

Banned
I'm actually expecting that number to be bigger. Forza isn't for everybody, and between Dead Rising and Ryse, I think a winner is pretty straightforward for most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom