• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom expects to ship 1.2m copies of Dead Rising 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwarb

It looks like the best of the console launch bunch, It should sell a few. X1 should out do the 360 through the launch period, if only for much better supply. Also more pre-orders.

Dysun

They can ship that number and sell them over years at bargain bin prices. The initial sell through won't come close though

DeerMan

Banned
Three words:
Word. of. Mouth.

When the game releases people will hear how good it is and will play it at a friends house and will buy DR3; maybe even buy a xbox one if they didnt own one already.

crozier

They can ship 4M. The question is whether it will sell through...

Personally, I think 1.2M is doable. It has more mass-market appeal than it's predecessors.

With the avalanche of DR3 Xbox One dash visibility on 360, people on forums seem to be ignoring for some reason, I don't think it will have any problem.

That's a pretty far stretch. Seeing as how it's one of the big launch title's of the Xbox One, I wouldn't be surprised if it sells a ton. 1.3mil though... not sure on that.

Gammacide

Lol no. I think we are overestimating the sagging zombie craze...by a lot. And Capcom are overestimating their sagging games...by a lot...again.

bon

That actually seems pretty reasonable for Capcom. It looks like one of the better games in an underwhelming launch lineup.

UNCMark

Banned
If that janky mess of a Zombie game that came out this summer on XBL can do a million, this should be able to some day.

Sanke__

6rAsA1M.gif

lol

DeerMan

Banned
Do people really want the new cod,battlefield,ass creed when they are the same old milked franchise with nothing new? DR3 has a ton of new weapons and an open world. I don't think the former will sell good. People like to root for the underdog, and with it looking so good it's hard not to.

BigDug13

Lol no. I think we are overestimating the sagging zombie craze...by a lot. And Capcom are overestimating their sagging games...by a lot...again.

It's "shipped", not "sold". So as long as MS can convince enough worldwide retailers to buy 1.2 million copies of that game to sell, they'll meet their goal.

JLeack

Banned
I think it'll manage that. It's a top 3 next gen launch exclusive with more broad appeal than Forza. I know I'm getting it.

border

Sales were 17% below expectations. Who is supposed to be eating crow?

They sold 1 copy of the game for every Xbox One sold, which is about as good as you can expect.

It sounds like they have trounced Ryse as well.

I'm no Mathmagician but the internet has told me that 1000*1000<12000000
LOL, it is but it's still pretty impressive for 3 months after launch.

I'm pretty sure that the Wii U has no 3rd party million sellers with an extra year on the market. I do wonder how many of those copies are on shelves though...

These are their 9month results. 1.2 million is for the end of year, they still have 3 months (2 in real world) to sell 200k.

1million in just over 2 months is excellent, just look at the gifs and idiot posts on page 1 to see the reaction to their forecast back in Oct.

I'm no accountant, but in this OP, Capcom's expectation is that DR3 will sell 1.2 million in the second half of the fiscal year. Today's results are for the third quarter of that fiscal year. This means they have one more quarter to go. They have until the end of March to sell another 200,000 units, which is why they say DR3 is on track to meet their expectations.

More than likely, they will meet or exceed their expectations, which is great news for the franchise. Loved DR3 and hoping a DR4 will come out in a few years.

Sales were 17% below expectations. Who is supposed to be eating crow?

They sold 1 copy of the game for every Xbox One sold, which is about as good as you can expect.

It sounds like they have trounced Ryse as well.

The OP is about Capcom shipping 1.2m copies by 31st March 2014. The fiscal period ended in December, so on 31st December 2013 they had shipped 1m out of 1.2m they were intending to. So presumably they will do or will have shipped the other 200k by the end of March.

Also, 3m consoles sold as of 31st December doesn't mean 1 copy sold per 1 Xbox One... Ryse numbers weren't too far off Dead Rising 3 in the NPD figures we got either.

w00zey

This has been one of my favorite games of launch. I can't remember the last game that as soon as I finished (got the S rank) I immediately pushed past the menu and started back up. While this might be normal for others I am very much a single serving person.

border

Also, 3m consoles sold as of 31st December doesn't mean 1 copy sold per 1 Xbox One... Ryse numbers weren't too far off Dead Rising 3 in the NPD figures we got either.

Sorry, I meant one copy sold for every 3 Xbox Ones....just didn't type it that way. 1:3 attach ratio is pretty good I suppose.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
After finally starting it... I can say I am very pleasantly surprised.
I thought it was slapped-together before I started it, but it's actually really well made. Probably the worst story of the three, but the most raw-fun to play. Super impressed with the level of detail, care, and attention put into it. And it isn't overtly long or padded either.

Only worth-while game on the Xbox One so far, in my opinion.

You're right, you aren't, because you seem to think there are 9 months in a year ;)

edit: by god, the grey!

edit2: They will undoubtedly hit the remaining 200K within the last 3 months of their year.

Noogy

This has been one of my favorite games of launch. I can't remember the last game that as soon as I finished (got the S rank) I immediately pushed past the menu and started back up. While this might be normal for others I am very much a single serving person.

I didn't think I'd ever say this about a Dead Rising game, but 3 has become my favorite launch title since maybe Condemned, and Halo before that. They did a great job streamlining everything, and I admit I got caught up in their silly story.

RetroStu

Banned
Its funny seeing the Lost Planet 3 sales because i literally didn't even know it had come out until i saw it on the shelves in a pre-owned store one day. I guess they didn't market it much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom