• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom expects to ship 1.2m copies of Dead Rising 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

capture4bguum.png

capture3phuxi.png

this is the first target sales we have for a nextgen launch title so far I think. this is for the second half of fiscal year, until end of March.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2013/2nd/explanation_2013_2nd_01.pdf

So what happens when they don't? Another megaman game shown to the public but skeeted in development hell and pulled from under the rug? Niiiice, get that money Crapcom.

GooeyHeat

Wait, Lost Planet 3 came out?

That's the real news here, IMO. I didn't know that happened at all. Did anybody on GAF care?

border

I think its achievable.
DR1 sold quite well rite?

DR1 wasn't a launch title. Microsoft probably won't even ship 1.2 million systems by the end of the year, so even if Capcom can sell a copy to every XBone owner they won't hit their target. But maybe Capcom knows something we don't. Maybe Xbone pre-orders are higher than we thought they were. Even assuming that 50% of Xbone early adopters buy DR3, that means that MS would have to ship out 2.4 million systems.

Problem is that they are competing with Ryse for early adopters, and a new IP is probably more appealing.

Rockondevil

It does seem a long shot but I wouldn't say unlikely. There aren't to many games at launch for either console and DR3 is arguably one of the better ones.
It isn't like the consoles aren't going to sell out this holiday season. They most definitely will and there will be plenty of hardcore gamers looking at any games.

I however will wait and see how they go, it will be interesting to see if they hit their goal.

BigDug13

That seems...unreasonable. So we had a LOT of PS3's and 360's in the world in 2010 when DR2 came out on both PS3 and 360 and it only sold 2.5 million copies. On both PS3 and 360 with really healthy userbases, 3-4 years into this gen?

(these are real numbers provided by Capcom: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/oar/business/digital.html)

And as an exclusive title for a launch console that is not widely releasing, they expect 1.2m?

I think it's attainable only because DR3 will have so little competition in the first few months and people will want to throw games at their new system.

Gxgear

DR1 wasn't a launch title. Microsoft probably won't even ship 1.2 million systems by the end of the year, so even if Capcom can sell a copy to every XBone owner they won't hit their target. But maybe Capcom knows something we don't. Maybe Xbone pre-orders are higher than we thought they were. Even assuming that 50% of Xbone early adopters buy DR3, that means that MS would have to ship out 2.4 million systems.

Problem is that they are competing with Ryse for early adopters, and a new IP is probably more appealing.

Fiscal year. Totally doable.

ZeroAlpha

Banned
Hmm think you over reaching Capcom, we don't even know how good the game is yet either. I will be getting it soon after launch if its at least as good as DR1.

They could get a good percentage of Xbox One buyers due to being an early exclusive. 1.2m copies in 4 months doesn't seem absurd to this layperson.

Derpcrawler

I thought MS published the game? I will sound like a douche, but I hope it will bomb which could lead to PS4 release. Believe.

iBuzz7S

Banned
DR1 barely had 2 million in lifetime 360 sale so far. Capcom is hoping DR3 hit 1.3M in less than a year...
Can be achieved quite easily.

• Game is launching with the Xbox One
  • People know what to expect
  • You aren't limited to 72 hours in-game (unless you choose that particular mode)
  • First next-gen zombie game

How many ever Xbox One consoles are sold in the first year, at least 1/3 will have Dead Rising 3 played.

As noted in the other thread, I don't see it happening.

I suppose they can load them onto retailers and retailers can offload them in bargain bins later like the first two Dead Risings.

So they can probably sell-in 1.2M. But they'll probably sell-through like a third of that.

Darmik

That's pretty high for a launch title isn't it?

Unless it's a major title that causes a big splash, most successful launch titles hover around the 500k mark I thought? Even if The Xbox One sells around 4 million through to March (which is being pretty generous) it would require a quarter of Xbox One owners to buy the game. For a violent sequel which has never really set the charts on fire previously, this seems like a big ask. Unless they mean lifetime sales which would be possible but Capcom doesn't seem to be the kind to rely on this.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong. I don't want the game to be a failure.

Icomp

Second post should have been first post.

Glorious gif.

Capcom have high hopes, nothing new here.

Gxgear

SECOND half of their current fiscal year

Am I crazy or does that not mean Oct '13 through Mar '14?

I was just pointing out it's the fiscal year when the post I was referring to implies end of year 2013, the 'second half' was never in question.

Bsigg12

I can see this happening. The game is much more accessible than previous Dead Rising games and if Microsoft markets it hard enough, they'll reach that goal.

I wasn't going to get it or Ryse until recently actually. After getting some hands on with both (demo stuff), I've decided to pick them up.

BigDug13

Yeah that's what I took from it. They expect 4 months of sales to be 1.2 copies. I guess they said "shipped" so as long as they can stock those shelves, it doesn't matter how many copies actual gamers buy.

demolitio

Being one of the big early exclusives for X1 might help them with that, but I always like to be more conservative with my estimates so I'm never letdown, something Capcom does the exact opposite of.

I guess it depends on the amount of X1's out there early on and how much the game appeals to those buyers. Good thing for Capcom that zombies are always fun and people might feel like getting their "The Walking Dead" on in a game with decent production values.

Darmik

Can be achieved quite easily.

• Game is launching with the Xbox One
  • People know what to expect
  • You aren't limited to 72 hours in-game (unless you choose that particular mode)
  • First next-gen zombie game

How many ever Xbox One consoles are sold in the first year, at least 1/3 will have Dead Rising 3 played.

I honestly don't see it. I remember there being a lot more hype for the original Dead Rising. It came after launch, came with a demo and was one of the first kinds of games that had hundreds of characters on screen at once. The impact with this title is not really there now. It is more accessible now but honestly Dead Rising as a whole doesn't really have the mainstream appeal of stuff like Titanfall which is the only game I can see meeting this target this quickly. Unless there has been a huge impact made by Dead Rising 2 being a Games for Gold title I don't really see this changing as much as I enjoy the series.

I mean people who are buying this console for the multimedia stuff aren't going to be buying games like Dead Rising 3. A lot of core gamers aren't going to be interested either. I just don't really see it unless the Xbox One is a smash success.

Vitor711

EA expects there to be 10 million PS4s and XboxOne's sold by the end of the fiscal year.

Even if PS4 outsells Xbox One (which most people expect to happen), no way that's going to be a 9:1 difference. More like 6 million PS4s and 4 million Xbox's. And, with a 1:4 attach rate, it's doable. Especially for a launch game.

I was just pointing out it's the fiscal year when the post I was referring to implies end of year 2013, the 'second half' was never in question.

Oct 13 - Mar 14 is correct.

Thought you might have the confused the time period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom