• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | November 26 - December 2nd | I got a Ph.D. in Mahvel Theory

I guess Capcom and IGN already discussed and made agreements earlier this year, but they were going to go ahead with their own tournament series which is why Capcom x IPL didn't happen or was announced yet until now. I remember how IPL was splattered all over the Cross Assault stream and how a SFxT exhibition was held at one of the IPL events earlier this year. As for SFxT making, this is just a theory but I feel like Capcom said to IGN "if you want SF4, you have to take SFxT to, or no deal" lol. As for Marvel, what's the popular theory on that? Disney won't give the go ahead or something else?

But I'm very much looking forward to IPL events next year. I remember Markman saying that Daigo will be attending a lot more American events next year or something like that. I guess he had the low down on this for a while now. Would be great if every IPL was like a mini EVO with all the best from around the world coming to fight for whatever the prize money is. I'm optimistic that their events won't clash with regional majors like Final Round but we'll see.

Chi Rithy making the flight out to the UK for the 25th qualifier this weekend, hope he can take it.

Good luck to him but he's not the only foreigner going. Momochi and Mago will also be there. It was bad enough trying to take it from Europe's best, but now he may also have to deal with 2 of Japan's best players as well.

NeoDeus

As for Marvel, what's the popular theory on that? Disney won't give the go ahead or something else?

No real conspiracy, the discussions with Marvel were simply just not finished by the time this first event happened. I'd think there'll be something by the first event of next year.

Spooky wouldn't mind if Pavy would credit him. He doesn't care about asking for permission, just for some recognition if he's gonna make money off Spooky's hard work. And this isn't the first time Spooky told him to start giving credit either. Pavy started to give credit but quickly slipped into his old ways and stopped caring.

It's bullcrap, at least give credit where credit is due and link to the person who made the content you took and are slapping ads on so you can get paid. Not only is he not crediting Vic, but also making highlight vids of how "evil" Spooky is for getting mad when FunkDoc touches Spooky's computer when a lot of people don't understand that xsplit crashes all the time for retarded reasons especially with the DSLR involved, and if you don't know what you're doing, the stream can go down in an instant.

Pavy is a joke and someone the community doesn't need by leeching off the work of others. Give credit, that's all people ask for.

smurfx

get some go again
never ever touch spooky's equipment.

ib2obt41gM0JEw.gif

I guess Capcom and IGN already discussed and made agreements earlier this year, but they were going to go ahead with their own tournament series which is why Capcom x IPL didn't happen or was announced yet until now. I remember how IPL was splattered all over the Cross Assault stream and how a SFxT exhibition was held at one of the IPL events earlier this year. As for SFxT making, this is just a theory but I feel like Capcom said to IGN "if you want SF4, you have to take SFxT to, or no deal" lol. As for Marvel, what's the popular theory on that? Disney won't give the go ahead or something else?

But I'm very much looking forward to IPL events next year. I remember Markman saying that Daigo will be attending a lot more American events next year or something like that. I guess he had the low down on this for a while now. Would be great if every IPL was like a mini EVO with all the best from around the world coming to fight for whatever the prize money is. I'm optimistic that their events won't clash with regional majors like Final Round but we'll see.

Good luck to him but he's not the only foreigner going. Momochi and Mago will also be there. It was bad enough trying to take it from Europe's best, but now he may also have to deal with 2 of Japan's best players as well.

I'm sure IPL will be up there with EVO, Canada Cup, and Shadowloo Showdown in terms of competition and level of play. The hype and atmosphere I'm not so sure about.

Spooky wouldn't mind if Pavy would credit him. He doesn't care about asking for permission, just for some recognition if he's gonna make money off Spooky's hard work. And this isn't the first time Spooky told him to start giving credit either. Pavy started to give credit but quickly slipped into his old ways and stopped caring.

It's bullcrap, at least give credit where credit is due and link to the person who made the content you took and are slapping ads on so you can get paid. Not only is he not crediting Vic, but also making highlight vids of how "evil" Spooky is for getting mad when FunkDoc touches Spooky's computer when a lot of people don't understand that xsplit crashes all the time for retarded reasons especially with the DSLR involved, and if you don't know what you're doing, the stream can go down in an instant.

Pavy is a joke and someone the community doesn't need by leeching off the work of others. Give credit, that's all people ask for.

Sad part is all it takes for Pavy to give Sp00ky credit is Ctrl + C then Ctrl + V.

So like what BasedMonster does.

MrPavy is dead, long live BasedMonster.

alstein

Hope I don't go broke at NEC, saw the cab fare being like $25 from airport to NEC.

Add in the VF and one other tourney I"ll enter- and the bar on Friday, and potential Madoka movie sidetrip- I might be down to $20-30 for food.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I gotta say, if he really did brag about making money off of someone else's content, that's pretty scummy. I thought he was a cool dude before.
Pavy has always been arrogant. So fuck him.

BasedMonster is way better and never had an attitude about anything. Just put up the clip with links to the stream where he got it from, that's it.

jbug617

Banned
Reading on twitter that Dieminion is liking the change of SFXT 2013. I hope it's good and not that we going to play it because of IPL.

kirblar

i don't think the fgc lacks sponsors because its too raunchy. i just don't think there is anybody in it that is good enough to sell the product to big sponsors. also the fact that events don't usually do huge numbers plays a huge part in it.
The FGC's economics don't work out right. As you said, what is there to sell to people? They already own the games.

Real annoyed at my twitter feed turning into a bunch of people crying about hypothetical scheduling conflicts though. Give them a chance. IPL-type stuff is invite-only, right?

OceanBlue

Reading on twitter that Dieminion is liking the change of SFXT 2013. I hope it's good and not that we going to play it because of IPL.

The changes sound good. I never really hated the game anyway, but it sounds like these fixes change a lot of things that even SFxT players thought were dumb. I don't know if it'll be better to watch though, lol.

JeTmAn81

This was pretty amusing to listen to. Matrix is fairly spot on about Yipes, though. It's curious that he hasn't mastered Magnus in Marvel 3 the way he did in 2. He's probably the best Dante, Vergil, maybe even Spencer in the game, but his Magneto is just pretty good. He needs a point Magneto team to really iron out those wrinkles. It just ain't Yipes without some Magneto domination.

edit: more Yipes/Magneto discussion from YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtjsnO8DrxA

sleepykyo

Worst case scenario Capcom and/or Marvel see no future in Marvel based fighting games.

Really hope there relationship is fine, I know it probably won't happen, and most of you wouldn't want it, but I would love for Capcom to make a Marvel only 1v1 game again, that's toned down a bit.

I still expect UMvC4 around the time the Avengers sequel hits.

I understand that, but does that mean it was set in stone forever? "We are doing these things and THAT'S IT. No more support for this game no matter the circumstances."

Fucking random ass 99 cent iphone games get more support than this. We are looking at a game that will be supported by a devoted fanbase until the next Marvel Vs. Capcom game is released. Whether that's 3, 5 or 10 years down the road. You can't say the same for ANY Marvel based game. Surely Marvel/Capcom realizes this? If there's any Marvel based game you go all in for, it's Marvel Vs. Capcom. I doubt the MMO will even have that much fan support after a year.

You expect them to renew (what may be a more expensive license after Avengers hit it so big that WB wants their JLA now) for what will likely see fewer sales than UMvC3?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
This was pretty amusing to listen to. Matrix is fairly spot on about Yipes, though. It's curious that he hasn't mastered Magnus in Marvel 3 the way he did in 2. He's probably the best Dante, Vergil, maybe even Spencer in the game, but his Magneto is just pretty good. He needs a point Magneto team to really iron out those wrinkles. It just ain't Yipes without some Magneto domination.

edit: more Yipes/Magneto discussion from YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtjsnO8DrxA

I think it only seems that way because Yipes rarely plays Magneto on point anymore, but he still has one of the best Magnetos... not the best, but definitely up there. Watching him play random teams on his stream makes that point very clear.

sephi22

What do you guys think about SFxT and the December patch.

Yes, I know its dead. In fact, I was one of the first people to consider it as such (I was banned in the Cross Assault thread, I was pretty much done with the game a couple of days later). But I do remember having fun with the game for what its worth. Part of it was because I played Raven/Hugo.

Any of you interested in picking the game up again seriously/semi-seriously/casually? I had decided not to ever touch it again, but I think I'll give it a go to get my Plat when the patch hits. I think people should give it another chance in tournaments.

Having said that, I don't think EVO should pick up SFxT again, and even if they do, it should be relegated to a side tournament slot. There are games that got it better the first time around (like P4A) that deserve a breath of life that a slot on the EVO roster provides.

jbug617

Banned
It seems that IPL is going to pump some money into FGC majors. I said MLG would do it some favors if they had done the same thing like paying for tickets to the next MLG event for winners of majors.

sephi22

I suddenly realized why I don't like 'esports' too much.

Our regular FG weekly streams fill dead air with crowd shots, player cams, jokes, random commentary, etc.

'Esports' fills these gaps with multiple ads, some of them containing wub wub, and almost none of them related to fighting games or console culture.

MK at MLG was a torture since there were about 3 matches in an hour

I suddenly realized why I don't like 'esports' too much.

Our regular FG weekly streams fill dead air with crowd shots, player cams, jokes, random commentary, etc.

'Esports' fills these gaps with multiple ads, some of them containing wub wub, and almost none of them related to fighting games or console culture.

MK at MLG was a torture since there were about 3 matches in an hour
My own feeling is that there's no conflict between the two, and esports is a good thing for fighting games.

1) Esports will cause the genre to grow.
2) This leads to more games made at higher budgets, and more support.
3) Esports in no way interferes with community events and such (people still had Starcraft LAN parties when Esports took it up, right?).
4) Community events will grow due to popularity gained through esports.
5) Esports will retain its own style of presentation, as will community events.

This seems entirely right to me. While I might like the community event style more than Esports, this is actually a boon for the community. I mean, last time I checked, the NBA never stopped people from having local basketball tournaments.

sephi22

My own feeling is that there's no conflict between the two, and esports is a good thing for fighting games.
I don't know if you were replying to me, but I'm going to assume you were since you quoted my post.

I did not say there's any conflict between them. I do think E-sports acceptance is good for the FGC, and I'm offended that you assumed that I don't.

My point was that the current e-sports ad model should not be copy pasted to fighting games. 4 minute ad breaks are okay between 20-30 minute Dota matches played by a dozen or so teams.

They're not okay for 2-3 minute fighting game matches, especially when you're looking at 40-50 participants.

What could be over in 2 hours in a FGC major would take 5 hours to complete in MLG/IPL.

The stream's been up for over 30 minutes now and we haven't had a single match.

jbug617

Banned
to make a bigger audience they need to put Top 8 on finals day on the main stream. It would mean a bigger audience then it would get on a fighting game only stream.

Top Bottom