• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is your avatar a bunch of crappy text? The thread to fix that lives again!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Damn it, my avatar isn't showing for some odd reason.

The website hosting it has died or something. Dx

Is there some intrepid wwwizzarddd out there that could crop and resize this to fit within avatar limits? In return I will hand over my firstborn.

tumblr_letsvisXn01qabkrxo1_r1_500.gif

traveler

Not Wario
Finally added the avatar I want to my profile so I can get this text taken off. Would a kind mod be so nice as to change it back for me?

Clipper

Ah, it's nice to have some free time to re-enter this thread again...

Blakero said:
Just set that as my avatar, please take the lock off :)
You need it to be 90 wide. Use this one (making sure you host it elsewhere first). Note that I added 10 pixels of transparency to the right side to stop the image from stretching.

serlingrod.png

Clipper

zerokoolpsx said:
Uhh, it has to be 90x120 doesn't it?
Here, I just crop the image.
http://i.imgur.com/o4BdW.jpg

This is what confuses a lot of people. The only rules are:

• After scaling to width of 90, the height must be less than or equal to 120
  • The file size must be less than or equal to 150kB (i.e., 153,600 bytes or 150kiB).
  • Image content must be suitable

The first rule is not a restriction on size of your image. It is actually restriction on the aspect ratio alone. Another way of writing the first rule is:

• The value of width divided by height must be less than or equal to 0.75.

Thus, only tall, thin images (where the width is less than three quarters of the height) fail the first rule.

Neuromancer said:
That's his way of saying he doesn't like your avatar.

:D

Hahaha. I didn't mean it that way, honest!

(I also considered just responding to this and saying "YOUR avatar is fine from a rules standpoint!")

Clipper

Muffdraul said:
For the record, I won't be replacing my old avatar with a new one. I prefer to simply not have one.
The general response to this from the mods is that you first need to prove that you know how to set a valid avatar. After you do that, and have the mark of shame removed, you are free to going back to being avatarless.

And if that's too much work, you could instead use one of my "emperor's new avatars":
90x120 transparent image: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm309/Dr_Clipper/GAF avatars/transparent.png
90x1 transparent image: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm309/Dr_Clipper/GAF avatars/transparent2.png

Muffdraul

Clipper said:
The general response to this from the mods is that you first need to prove that you know how to set a valid avatar. After you do that, and have the mark of shame removed, you are free to going back to being avatarless.

Ah I see, thanks.

Well, I set a new and valid (and awful) avatar, and it's displaying... so I assumed that meant I was all set. But then I went back into my profile and the damn "I Don't Know How..." text avatar is still there. Apparently I still need a mod's blessing.

Muffdraul said:
Ah I see, thanks.

Well, I set a new and valid (and awful) avatar, and it's displaying... so I assumed that meant I was all set. But then I went back into my profile and the damn "I Don't Know How..." text avatar is still there. Apparently I still need a mod's blessing.
Is this it:
4645516841_d2fc03af4b_s.jpg

Looks OK to me but you're right, you need a mod to give you access back.

phantomfox30 said:
Need help?

Clipper

Muffdraul said:
That was it until just now, I just switched to one of Clipper's transparent avatars.
The other one was fine too, it's just that the mods have probably missed checking the thread for a while. One will probably be by soon to fix you up...

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
This is the original avatar I made:

snapshotlarge.gif

Problem was it's way over the size limit. I managed to get it under 150kb, but...

snapshotsmall.gif

It kind of makes me nauseous to look at. :( Any help/suggestions to make it look closer to the original while staying under the size limit would be appreciated.

Btw it's from the movie Love Exposure.

Clipper

ICallItFutile said:
This is the original avatar I made:

snapshotlarge.gif

Problem was it's way over the size limit. I managed to get it under 150kb, but...

snapshotsmall.gif

It kind of makes me nauseous to look at. :( Any help/suggestions to make it look closer to the original while staying under the size limit would be appreciated.

Btw it's from the movie Love Exposure.
Here's some methods that could help reduce file size:
  • Delete every second/third/etc. frame and increase delay between frames to compensate (seems to be what you did, but new delay seems wrong)
  • Reduce colour depth (In GIMP, you do this with Image...Mode...Indexed. Switch the image mode to RGB, then back to indexed and it will allow you to choose how many colours can appear in the final image.
  • Don't bother stretching it to 120 height. This will make both the file size smaller and will make it look better as it won't be so ugly and out of proportion. You want your image to be exactly 90 width, but height can be any value up to 120.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Clipper said:
Here's some methods that could help reduce file size:
  • Delete every second/third/etc. frame and increase delay between frames to compensate (seems to be what you did, but new delay seems wrong)
  • Reduce colour depth (In GIMP, you do this with Image...Mode...Indexed. Switch the image mode to RGB, then back to indexed and it will allow you to choose how many colours can appear in the final image.
  • Don't bother stretching it to 120 height. This will make both the file size smaller and will make it look better as it won't be so ugly and out of proportion. You want your image to be exactly 90 width, but height can be any value up to 120.

Yeah I deleted quite a few frames. It might seem off, but I fiddled around with it and that was the best I could do.
How many colors would you recommend? Anything less than 128 too few?
Problem with just constraining to proportions to 90 width is because of the strange resolution of the video, it makes the image 90 x 50. That's much too small to me.

Bleh, this seems more of a hassle than it's worth.

Clipper

ICallItFutile said:
Yeah I deleted quite a few frames. It might seem off, but I fiddled around with it and that was the best I could do.
How many colors would you recommend? Anything less than 128 too few?
Problem with just constraining to proportions to 90 width is because of the strange resolution of the video, it makes the image 90 x 50. That's much too small to me.

Bleh, this seems more of a hassle than it's worth.
On the resolution side of things, what you want to do is also strip some of the useless data from the sides. Square images look pretty good, so see if you can crop enough of the sides to make the original image square and then reduce it to 90 X 90.

Top Bottom