• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

Loxley

Pandoracell said:
So i'm wondering if anybody can comment on my performance. My specs are:

AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2ghz
GTX 460
4GB RAM

Even with everything set to low, when i'm in certain areas (towns, in particular) my framerate takes a nosedive. We're talking sub 25 fps. Everything else is mostly in the 60 range. And even when settings are in the high/ultra range, my framerate never seems to stay near a locked 60, it hovers wildly in the 40-60 range, which doesn't seem right. Any tips? I really just want a locked 60 fps, regardless of how terrible the game looks, and I can't seem to reach that. Until I buy a gamepad, sub 60 fps is unbearable for me with M/KB. I'm fairly certain my CPU is holding me back a bit, but I don't want to hear that :/

I'm having the exact same problem and have yet to find a fix. I updated my NVIDIA drivers (I'm running on a GTX 560m) but all that seemed to do was reduce the frequency of the framerate drops by a little bit. I've been fiddling with my settings and .ini file since the game went live nothing seems to work.

At the moment I can only guess this is something that can be fixed with a patch :/

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Pandoracell said:
I'm going to post two screenshots to show my issue. These were taken with the 'low' preset, nothing else changed. In the first screenshot, i'm getting ~30pfs. In the second, 60. I'm in the same location, I simply turned around before taking the second shot. I understand the scene in the first shot is a fair bit more complex, but it shouldn't cut my framerate by nearly half.

http://i.imgur.com/5T1yC.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/J4Nsx.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

The entire game is like this for me, I stroll around all happy and all but once every hour or so I find a spot in the game where it for no obvious reason just can't go above 30 fps, it just sits there.

The M.O.B

MrBig said:
If my 9600 can still pump 40-60fps out of this you're doing something wrong.

No, the game is doing something wrong. I have a AMD 6870 and I can barely manage 30fps in outside areas on medium settings.

Others in this thread with lesser gpu have been getting better framerate than me. This shouldn't be happening and Bethesda needs to fix this crap asap.

Complistic

KKRT00 said:
Do You guys get random crashes to windows?

I've noticed it to happen mostly when i'm chasing something or using spells after chase, so dont know if its my GPU overheating [havent got any problem in BF 3 at all] or uGrid=7 is screwing with me, or its just a Skyrim thing on my config and drivers ...

Yeah i've got some pretty random CTDs. Very normal for a bethesda game. Will take a few patches I'm sure. Save often.

The M.O.B said:
No, the game is doing something wrong. I have a AMD 6870 and I can barely manage 30fps in outside areas on medium settings.

Others in this thread with lesser gpu have been getting better framerate than me. This shouldn't be happening and Bethesda needs to fix this crap asap.

I expect patches/drivers to hopefully smooth things out. Bethesda really dropped the ball with this game... the PC support so far feels really pitiful.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Complistic said:
Yeah i've got some pretty random CTDs. Very normal for a bethesda game. Will take a few patches I'm sure. Save often.

how often? I'm getting one every hmm, maybe 10-15 minutes, sometimes with an error prompt and sometimes the game window just vanishes as if I pressed alt+f4-

ShdwDrake

Banned
Is there anyway to get a quick bar in this game? I dont get why theres none there... really enjoying it though and I didnt care for Oblivion.

TheExodu5

Banned
ShdwDrake said:
Is there anyway to get a quick bar in this game? I dont get why theres none there... really enjoying it though and I didnt care for Oblivion.

Add an item/equip/spell to favorite. Open favorites with Q, hover over the desired item, and press the number you want to bind it to.

SalomonA

Amd Phenom 965 @ 3,4
Asus Direct CUII GTX 570
4gb 1333mhz ddr3 ram

Playing at 1680 x 1050res
Setting high with some settings at medium. 2x AA, 8x AF. FXAA turnes on.
60fps all the time, tho I have some serious fps drops while in towns/villages. Why? Its like 25-30 fps sometimes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wazzim said:
The threads at the Bethesda forum are very interesting to read. The game really is a technical mess on PC, they just screwed us PC gamers over for no reason. They got their fanbase on PC, no silly sales excuses this time.

It's really not a technical mess at all. There will always be some vocal people for whom the game doesn't work, but compared to previous Bethesda releases, this game is super polished.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Zefah said:
It's really not a technical mess at all. There will always be some vocal people for whom the game doesn't work, but compared to previous Bethesda releases, this game is super polished.
Yes. Except for a few rare crashes I have absolutely no issues at all so far, I think. And I'm on AMD.

Those things happen to like 3 people, and 30 more are repeating it without actually playing the game. Also, the UI is fine, screw the haters :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Bufbaf said:
Yes. Except for a few rare crashes I have absolutely no issues at all so far, I think. And I'm on AMD.

Those things happen to like 3 people, and 30 more are repeating it without actually playing the game. Also, the UI is fine, screw the haters :(

I said it earlier in this thread, but I think the UI works really well with mouse/keyboard. There are things that could be improved, but it doesn't feel Borderlands-style hamfisted like so many people seem to be implying. It's a huge improvement over Oblivion's UI at least.

2500k (4.7ghz) 2x 6950s. 4 GB RAM, SSD.

I have tried a dozen different combinations of settings, including disabling CF entirely, and I am getting CONSTANT flickering/disappearing textures. I know the cliche about waiting on Bethesda games, and hopefully it will get there, but for now, I just have to get this out:

FUCK YOU, BETHESDA. FUCK. YOU. I want my $60 and my last nine months of being excited about this game back.

It just sucks, because I know there is a game that I would really enjoy buried somehwere under all this shit. DAMMIT.

iNvid02

i fixed my flickering for the most part, just disabled aa and af from within the game and did it through nvidia inspector instead. rarely happens now

Kyaw

Is there no motion blur in this game?

It would have been quite nice to have motion blur in this type of game... :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kyaw said:
Is there no motion blur in this game?

It would have been quite nice to have motion blur in this type of game... :(

Disappointing indeed.

There is this setting in the SkyrimPrefs.ini, but changing it to 1 doesn't seem to do anything for me.

[BlurShader]
bUseBlurShader=0

I would be ok with a locked 30fps and decent motion blur, rather than this spiky 60fps nightmare. Although if I could just have 60fps that would be fine too. :(

KKRT00

Complistic said:
Its not my first Bethesda game, so i'm pretty skilled at using F5 ;D

Corky said:
how often? I'm getting one every hmm, maybe 10-15 minutes, sometimes with an error prompt and sometimes the game window just vanishes as if I pressed alt+f4-
Like 3-4 times in 30 minutes and then i played for almost hours without any problem.

Zefah said:
Actually is mostly technical and development problems, so PC port problems. Earlier Bethesda games were fucked up on all platform because of quest bugs, AI bugs, geometry bugs and so on, here we have only technical problems because they ignored PC version and havent checked it almost at all and definitely they havent tested it on mouse and keyboard setup ;\

Durante

Zefah said:
I agree.

In fact, according to Steam I've been playing for 15 hours, and I haven't had a single crash.

Blackface

Banned
Anyone saying this game isn't anything but amazing looking is out of their minds (unless on console). These were compressed twice, so a bit pixelated. Nothing fancy done to them, everything default. It looks better in motion.

0E9qh.jpg

U3hDM.jpg

XEjIO.jpg

7tZoT.jpg

I'm pretty impressed how well the game runs with my rig:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000
9800GT
4GB Ram
Windows 7

Mostly medium settings. Roughly 60fps in indoor areas, 30fps in big open areas. 2X anti aliasing at 1680 x 1050 resolution. Game looks great too.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
These shots are non ini edited. The only thing I did add was shadow detail to the trees. Everything ultra and maxed out.

6970 2GB OC@950/1450
2500k@4.5ghz
8GB RAM
W7x64

tesv2011-11-1218-22-2aiui8.png

tesv2011-11-1215-06-5u3us1.png

tesv2011-11-1214-38-351u8u.png

tesv2011-11-1214-38-0r3uqn.png

Other that some odd stuttering, the game is always at 60 except for like 1% of the time. Mainly after Riverwood (can't remember the name of that White something town, Whiterun?).

Cheech

IMO, some of you guys are screwing yourselves by messing with so many settings.

I have a last gen i5-760 running at 2.8ghz, 8 gigs of ram, 2x6870s. Running AMD driver 11.10, with the latest crossfire profile, and I am having ZERO issues. I went into the Skyrim video options and bumped the draw distance up a bit, but I've screwed with nothing else and the game runs like a dream. Also, I haven't messed with anything in the AMD driver settings.

Tattooth

Does anyone else get extremely long load times with the FPS limiter, when I limit to 30 FPS, my load times must quadruple. They go back to normal when I disable it, though.

LiquidMetal14

This is a thread that welcomes the casual and mainly for the enthusiast. And to help each other. If you can make the game shine and have the HW do it, they will. Anyone with great HW wants to make it look as good as possible.

markot

Banned
My only problem is that I cant stop imagining what they could do, with a good engine >.<

They have great artists and suchly, but there is only so much polishing a turd can be.

LCfiner

I am consistently impressed who well this is running on my machine.

I got the 2009 iMac with a 2.66 Ghz Core i5 and a weak 480M with 512 MB VRAM.

the only compromises I need to make is turn off AA, run at 1920 x 1080 instead of 2560 x 1440 (but it still doesn’t look jaggy) and make sure none of the setting are higher than “high”.

game runs at 30 fps with frequent jumps to 60 fps indoors. feels smooth and looks really nice.

if I bump up shadows and decals to ultra, turn on 2X AA, then I get mid 20s fps and it’s too choppy for my taste and doesn’t look too much better.

LiquidMetal14

KKRT00 said:
Mine for comparison 1.5x1.5 OGSSAA + 4x MSAA

http://i.imgur.com/SCB28.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
You in a different cave? Very similar rock patterns at the exits but yours has grass so it's def different. I want to see that locale now, just to compare :P

6 or 8 more pics in my next post, warning. Then no more spam from me.

KKRT00

LiquidMetal14 said:
You in a different cave? Very similar rock patterns at the exits but yours has grass so it's def different. I want to see that locale now, just to compare :p

6 or 8 more pics in my next post, warning. Then no more spam from me.
I'm pretty sure its the same, on the east from whiterun, quest to bring back guy's father sword, right? Its an entrance to the Boss.

Dmax3901

BoobPhysics101 said:
Skyrimprefs.ini

Change these settings. I found these in the Skyrim main folder under VeryHigh.ini, so ensure these are set appropriately:

Code:
[Display]
iMultiSample=16
iWaterMultisamples=4
iMaxAnisotropy=16
iTexMipMapSkip=0
iTexMipMapMinimum=4
fDecalLOD1=500.0000
fDecalLOD2=1000.0000
iActorShadowCountInt=6
iActorShadowCountExt=6
fSpecularLODStartFade=2000.0000
fLightLODStartFade=3500.0000
iShadowMapResolution=4096
fShadowBiasScale=0.15
iShadowMaskQuarter=4
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3
bFXAAEnabled=0
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=9999999.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=9999999.0000
fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=9999999.0000
fShadowDistance=8000.0000
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=100
iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=25

[LOD]
fLODFadeOutMultActors=15.0000
fLODFadeOutMultObjects=15.0000
fLODFadeOutMultItems=15.0000

[TerrainManager]
fTreeLoadDistance=75000.0000
fBlockMaximumDistance=250000.0000
fBlockLevel1Distance=70000.0000
fBlockLevel0Distance=35000.0000
fSplitDistanceMult=1.5000

[Grass]
b30GrassVS=1
fGrassStartFadeDistance=7000.0000

[Imagespace]
iRadialBlurLevel=2

[Water]
bReflectLODLand=1
bReflectLODObjects=1
bReflectLODTrees=1
bReflectSky=1

[BlurShaderHDR]
bDoHighDynamicRange=1

[Decals]
bDecals=1
bSkinnedDecals=1
uMaxDecals=1000
uMaxSkinDecals=100
uMaxSkinDecalPerActor=60

Give that a shot, ymmv, adjust to preferences. I still need to work on those settings as they MAY cause random CTD's (crash to desktop).

Quick question, what are you saying we do here? Go into veryhigh.ini and check that these are all as is? Or add all those to Skyrimprefs? I am confused.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Guess I must be out of my mind, because this game isn't stunning...and I'm not just talking about the visuals. :/

oneils

Pandoracell said:
I'm going to post two screenshots to show my issue. These were taken with the 'low' preset, nothing else changed. In the first screenshot, i'm getting ~30pfs. In the second, 60. I'm in the same location, I simply turned around before taking the second shot. I understand the scene in the first shot is a fair bit more complex, but it shouldn't cut my framerate by nearly half.

Do you have vsync on? If so, turn it off and see what happens. Also, what frame rate are you getting in the first shot?

Pandoracell said:

Pretty sure this is a result of triplebuffering and vsync being enabled. If my understanding on how that stuff works is correct, you're always going to end up with FPS locked at 60fps for anything that would normally produce a >60fps without vsync, and for any scene that would normally produce an fps between 30 and 60, the vsync will cause it to be locked at 30fps (i.e. 1/2 your presumably 60hz refresh rate)

goodfella

Funny how there is no fps change from when I go from fxaa to 4xmsaa with multisampling MSAA.

The game is definitely limited by the CPU.

LiquidMetal14

KKRT00 said:
I'm pretty sure its the same, on east of whiterun, quest to bring back guy's father sword, right? Its an entrance to the Boss.
I think it may be but not the same exit. Look at my ground texture. It exits into the snow.

A few more caps

tesv2011-11-1213-45-2bb2ij.png

tesv2011-11-1214-12-39r2jf.png

tesv2011-11-1214-14-4aj06v.png

tesv2011-11-1214-19-5g13hg.png

tesv2011-11-1214-36-4uh6bl.png

tesv2011-11-1215-06-16g6jt.png

KKRT00

goodfella said:
Fuuny how there is no fps change from when I go from fxaa to 4xmsaa with multisampling MSAA.

The game is definitely limited by the CPU.
Its not and there is fps hit ;p, just not that big, because game is optimized for 4x MSAA, thats the AA X360 is using.

LiquidMetal14

blame space said:
whoever suggested turning off AA and just using FXAA is spot-on. running ultra settings now at my display's full resolution
It's worth it just for the performance gains, for sure.

Durante

LiquidMetal14 said:
I think it may be but not the same exit. Look at my ground texture. It exits into the snow.

A few more caps

tesv2011-11-1213-45-2bb2ij.png
Heh, I've got almost the same one at night.

tesv-2011-11-12-14-35ykcwf.jpg

KKRT00 said:
Its not and there is fps hit ;p, just not that big, because game is optimized for 4x MSAA, thats the AA X360 is using.
You really can't optimize a game specifically for 4xMSAA.

Sanic

oneils said:
Do you have vsync on? If so, turn it off and see what happens. Also, what frame rate are you getting in the first shot?
tried a bit ago with vsync turned off and I'm getting between 36-38 fps when looking in the general direction of the first shot.

oneils

blame space said:
whoever suggested turning off AA and just using FXAA is spot-on. running ultra settings now at my display's full resolution

Are you able to get shadow details at ultra too? If so, that is awesome. I had to turn down shadow details to high so that I could use 8xAA.

What are your specs? I'm using a i5 2500K with a 460GTX 768MB. Running it at 1920x1080.

Top Bottom