• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

Dmax3901

Amazing screens. I don't understand the wizardry. I got a CTD due to Microsoft Redist flipping out. Wouldn't let me alt+ctrl+del so had to just reboot.

Holy hell I finally got the shadows to look as decent as this engine is going to allow, what a fucking difference.

Had to set all 3 shadow map settings way the hell up to 8192

iShadowMapResolutionSecondary
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary
iShadowMapResolution

and up the distance to 8000

fShadowDistance

CaLe

Gully State said:
Playable framerates or is it your usual artistically glorious but borderline unplayable configs?

Extremely playable for me. Thanks Octagon, much appreciated.

Regarding stuttering / frame skips on AMD, anyone else experiencing that ?

Shepard

CaLe said:
Anyone else with an ATI / AMD card suffering from intense stuttering practically randomly ? Everything is often butter-smooth, but looking at a light source or seemingly at random the game starts "skipping" frames.

It's extremely annoying...
Same here, game runs flawlessly during combat heavy scenes, and then I stare into one of those glowing mushrooms on a tiny corridor, and my framerate almost halves :\

The M.O.B

CaLe said:
Extremely playable for me. Thanks Octagon, much appreciated.

Regarding stuttering / frame skips on AMD, anyone else experiencing that ?

Frame drops, frame skips, stuttering, you name and im getting it.

I have a AMD 6870 and the game is running terrible for me. No way should I be maxing 99% of PC games including BF3 yet struggle to keep a steady 30fps on this game.

CaLe

Shepard said:
Same here, game runs flawlessly during combat heavy scenes, and then I stare into one of those glowing mushrooms on a tiny corridor, and my framerate almost halves :\

The M.O.B said:
Frame drops, frame skips, stuttering, you name and im getting it.

I have a AMD 6870 and the game is running terrible for me. No way should I be maxing 99% of PC games including BF3 yet struggle to keep a steady 30fps on this game.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one... I'm running CF 6870s.

Last time I purchase AMD graphic cards...

Tesseract

Banned
CaLe said:
Anyone else with an ATI / AMD card suffering from intense stuttering practically randomly ? Everything is often butter-smooth, but looking at a light source or seemingly at random the game starts "skipping" frames.

It's extremely annoying...

same here. it's fucked. how well does the game run when you're sitting in a chair? for me it fixes all of my problems, but then i stand up and boom goes the renderer.

CaLe

Tesseract said:
same here. it's fucked. how well does the game run when you're sitting in a chair? for me it fixes all of my problems. but then i stand up and boom goes the renderer.

Hmm I didn't have any problem with sitting in a chair and getting up, but then again I only sat down in the intro, after arriving in the first city and speaking with the blacksmith.

But yeah... This game is running piss-poor on AMD cards.

BFIB

CaLe said:

Getting the same here on my 5850. Earlier, I put the settings on low, just to verify, and even on low settings, my FPS drops in the teens when in town, or when I look at a light source. Extremely annoying. I default to High settings, which I would be happy with if I had a stable framerate. Still played 15 hrs worth though.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
leng jai said:
Why do people still bother with AMD? It seems that every second big game has significant issues with their cards at launch.

Bullshit. This is the first one for me if what is written is true. And my friend with 560 experiences constant problems with BF3 lke flickering, blacked out screen and so on. The only other problem I had were god rays in Bulletstorm (6950-6970 issue).

Aside from dual card support I have experienced less problems with AMD than NVIDIA. But dual card suppport always sucked.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The only problems I've had with a modern game since getting my HD 5870 in November or so of 2009 was with RAGE. Otherwise, this has been a kick-ass card.

Nekuru

Not sure if this was mentioned before but such a long read. Anyway, is anyone having Issues getting 5.1 surround sound working on the PC? I can only get Stereo.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
leng jai said:
Why do people still bother with AMD? It seems that every second big game has significant issues with their cards at launch.

I bought a GTX 570 2-3 months ago after being an AMD user since 2007 and the Rage debacle convinced me never to go back - unless, of course, AMD gets their shit together. But they won't.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
CaLe said:

Framerate drops to 40s for me in some areas. But otherwise the game seems to run 50-60 fps pretty solid. I modded my characters movement speed and I can run without any slowdown (older Bethesda games would stutter more, some sort of engine limitation).

I have 6950 CF with Radeon pro configured to alternate frame render. It seems to reasonable use both cards using this method.

I have had the game crash about 6 times over the course of 12 hours. Nearly every time it does I see models not get shaded (usually neon blue color) or when a dragon shows up.

AMD's driver support is pretty shitty during releases, especially with CF. Radeon pro + 15-30 minutes of tinkering at the start of the game is pretty much a requirement.

leng jai said:

Because often times you can get two mid ranged boards an crossfire them and get 1.5x Nvidia's best board for basically the same price and power consumption. The tradeoff is the above.

Dmax3901

Fuck. Think I've just fucked my saves. One of them (several levels ago) loads but the rest crash seconds after I click them.

Curse you and your fantastic screens TheOctagon!

How come every inn I go into has a physics bug? It's really weird - only happens in taverns/inns, but all of them have that collision sound effect playing repeatedly and objects flying around everywhere.

Dmax3901

BoobPhysics101 said:
Revert your uGrids settings.

I'd deleted both .ini files and verified integrity of the cache, no luck. But all is well, I'd copied saves over before I tried stuff, one of them is recent and works. Thank CHRIST.

RedSwirl

Wait so does this game have problems on AMD cards too?

Anyway, what I came here to ask was if anyone playing the PC version with a 360 pad noticed if the higher framerate (compared to 360) had any improvement in input lag. How tight do the 360 controls feel on PC?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
RedSwirl said:

Anyway, what I came here to ask was if anyone playing the PC version with a 360 pad noticed if the higher framerate (compared to 360) had any improvement in input lag. How tight do the 360 controls feel on PC?

Very tight.

BigJiantRobut said:
How come every inn I go into has a physics bug? It's really weird - only happens in taverns/inns, but all of them have that collision sound effect playing repeatedly and objects flying around everywhere.
There appears to be a bug with physics when your fps gets too high. I'm assuming you've disabled vsync? I'm using FPS Limiter (set to max 60) to fix it for now: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34

Also this has fixed the y-axis sensitivity going up in high fps areas. It will still go low when the fps dips however.

The M.O.B

Has Bethesda acknowledged the shat performance people are getting with great rigs?

I want to know if I should wait a week until patch fixes this crap, or trudge through the game because of no fix in sight.

epmode

RedSwirl said:

I've noticed that the controls are fine if you can get a solid 60 FPS. Start dropping and weird stuff happens. The big thing is that vertical sensitivity is screwed up: Looking up will be at a different sensitivity setting than looking down. This happens with a mouse too so I guess it doesn't matter to you.

Sounds like it's patchable but who knows.

CaLe

teh_pwn said:
Framerate drops to 40s for me in some areas. But otherwise the game seems to run 50-60 fps pretty solid. I modded my characters movement speed and I can run without any slowdown (older Bethesda games would stutter more, some sort of engine limitation).

I have 6950 CF with Radeon pro configured to alternate frame render. It seems to reasonable use both cards using this method.

I have had the game crash about 6 times over the course of 12 hours. Nearly every time it does I see models not get shaded (usually neon blue color) or when a dragon shows up.

AMD's driver support is pretty shitty during releases, especially with CF. Radeon pro + 15-30 minutes of tinkering at the start of the game is pretty much a requirement.

Can you please share your radeon-pro settings ? I forced the Oblivion profile and set AF, but I didn't notice any improvements.

Thanks

i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz
16gb ddr3 ram

Tried to run it on Ultra and FXAA on and murdered my poor old 4850. Can't wait to upgrade my gpu soon. Other than that though I can EASILY play this game on high but without FXAA. That shit kills it.

Nekuru said:
Not sure if this was mentioned before but such a long read. Anyway, is anyone having Issues getting 5.1 surround sound working on the PC? I can only get Stereo.

I would like to know this as well. I noticed when I play certain DVD movies on my pc it works but I NEVER had it work on a pc game. PS3 and 360? No problem. :\

Jijidasu

Alright, I think I need to keep my hands off of the uGrids tweak. For some bloody reason it causes me to crash. Sadly this is the second time I've vowed not to touch it, but hopefully there will be a fix or a proper mod out soon enough!

I always kept a save in there before I would try using the uGrids tweak, so I just load that and play again normally :(

Shepard

Wow, just noticed a great performance increase after setting all draw distances in the game to the max (!). I was getting around 40~45fps in High (All the options set to high, not the default game 'high' option), now ith hovering around 50~60.

Lucario

Now this is odd.

2500k (stock, no overclock)
Radeon 5850 (no overclock)
8GB DDR3

60FPS completely maxed outdoors w/ no enemies around, most areas with bunches of NPCs are at a completely playable 40. Very rarely will it drop below 30. I haven't seen anyone get this much performance out of a 5850 or even higher end ATI card, so I'm completely baffled as to how my computer is pulling this off. I wonder if it's because I'm using the Windows 8 RC? I'm not gonna complain about it, certainly.

Hawk269

Yeah, the ugrids tweaks makes the camera movement stutter a bit for me. Even though I am getting good framerate. All the other mods posted work well. But to be honest, what is the Ugrids mod actually doing? I installed it ran the game, looked around, then uninstalled it and ran the game in the same areas and I did not notice too much difference. With it installed my fps does drop, but it also stutters alot more.

Is not using nvidia inspector and does those changes impacting the use of ugrids for me possibly? THat is one thing I have not done is download and install nvidia inspector.

BTW..Still loveing the game! Had some really great moments. Some stuff is bugged, I have a side quest that no matter what I do I cannot complete. Outside of that, I had 1 lock up and that is it.

Buggy Loop

I was running this game pretty good at high settings until i went to the bleak falls barrow, went from butter smooth to unplayable. Sigh

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
5850 oc
i5 750 stock
8gb 1600mhz

Settings were default high @ 1080p and I put some options higher and my frame rate is a rock solid 60fps.

I'm surprised my rig is doing so well with BF3 and Skyrim.

Kyaw said:
Well, i fixed the ugridstoload crash by deleting the ini files and running the game with default generated ini's. Then i edited the ini (the shadow, water etc) to my liking.

It's been working well so far. Man, i thought i was doomed and had to start the game again...

Maybe add the bolded to the OP in case any one breaks their saves with ugrid changes.

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you

I'm never messing with ini's without backing up my saves again.

tesv-2011-11-13-01-283gzhk.jpg

tesv-2011-11-13-01-32bnbpg.jpg

TrounceX

2500k @ 4.8Ghz
GTX 570 SC
16GB RAM
SSD

Ultra settings
FXAA (tried MSAA but I actually like the soft, smoother look of FXAA better. I know, I know)
Did most of the .ini tweaks in the OP
Ugrids = 7 (probably going to 9 after seeing people successfully recover their saves)

Pretty solid 60fps outdoors with random drops to around 45 for seemingly no reason.

Also am I the only person here who thinks this game is drop dead gorgeous? I've been absolutely blown away several times today. Going from 360 Oblivion to PC Skyrim is a world of difference and easily comparable to a generational leap. Once some high res texture packs come out holy shit this game is going to look incredible. Hopefully the modders can come through quickly.

Ok so anyways before I go I'd just like to give a big thank you to PC GAF. You guys are a huge help as always <3

TrounceX said:
2500k @ 4.8Ghz
GTX 570 SC
16GB RAM
SSD

Ultra settings
FXAA (tried MSAA but I actually like the soft, smoother look of FXAA better. I know, I know)
Did most of the .ini tweaks in the OP
Ugrids = 7 (probably going to 9 after seeing people successfully recover their saves)

Pretty solid 60fps outdoors with random drops to around 45 for seemingly no reason.

Also am I the only person here who thinks this game is drop dead gorgeous? I've been absolutely blown away several times today. Going from 360 Oblivion to PC Skyrim is a world of difference and easily comparable to a generational leap. Once some high res texture packs come out holy shit this game is going to look incredible. Hopefully the modders can come through quickly.

Ok so anyways before I go I'd just like to give a big thank you to PC GAF. You guys are a huge help as always <3

I do think the game looks incredible at times.

But technically, Witcher 2 blows it away in so many key areas. Once Skyrim gets better textures/shaders, it should be interesting to compare.

Ashodin

TrounceX said:
going from oblivon to skyrim
I was playing PC modded Oblivion just the week before and leading up to, and Skyrim STILL blew me away.

The game is fucking GORGEOUS. Art direction is out the fuckin' ass.

I dive into the world and I lose track of time.

<3

Izayoi said:
Looks nice, but my framerate tanks outside (single GTX 580). Any huge hitters that I can drop in order to bring the frames up a bit?

Follow my tweaks and you should be able to run maxed out. I am, running on a GTX 570 that's OC'd to GTX 580 speeds.

JoNike

Neo Member
Zefah said:
Does anyone know how to take in-game screenshots? I am using FRAPS, but the screenshot function is totally unreliable. I think FRAPS starts to fail if I alt+tab or something.

Any suggestions?

F12 using the steam overlay?

Munin

Are there any actual forests or somewhat lusher areas in the game? I only ever see barren landscapes in videos and screens that remind me of FO3 more than anything..

Top Bottom