• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Are you starting with Vanguard before using links, to ensure your Lardsnack always goes first? Otherwise, you're liable to be too slow and everyone will have already attacked.

Haven't yet invested in that. I've been investing in Power Break.

Hrrm... Yeah time to put some in Vanguard.

Also what's the difference between Chase Samba and the one right after it? One makes the Dancer follow ally attacks, the other makes Allies follow up Dancer attacks. Which is typically better?

BearChair

Go farm some tp recovery items! If that's the only thing stopping you, get like 4 or 5 amrita II.

I did just that, five of them and one amirita, and I did it. The fight took nearly half an hour, but I did it.

Now on to the
dragons
. Hopefully, they are a little easier.

Roubjon

I finally started this after waiting a week to open up my package, and it's so great. I'm up to the third floor of the Lush Woodlands and I love how intense normal battles can get. It was relatively easy up until this point, and now the difficulty level is perfect.

I ended up dropping Fire Emblem until further notice with this game lol.

UberTag

Also what's the difference between Chase Samba and the one right after it? One makes the Dancer follow ally attacks, the other makes Allies follow up Dancer attacks. Which is typically better?
I would assume the former. Because you're going to be attacking normally a hell of a lot more with other people on the Dancer line than you will with your Dancer.

vall03

I would assume the former. Because you're going to be attacking normally a hell of a lot more with other people on the Dancer line than you will with your Dancer.

Nope, Trick Samba is better. After getting all the relevant dances up, a Dancer would be doing nothing but normal attack. Combine that with Swords Dance and Landsknecht Links, that would net you more attacks and dps per turn along with Trick Samba.

The only problem with Trick Samba imo is ruining Bushi and Imperial Charges, but that can be easily avoided.

Nope, Trick Samba is better. After getting all the relevant dances up, a Dancer would be doing nothing but normal attack. Combine that with Swords Dance and Landsknecht Links, that would net you more attacks and dps per turn along with Trick Samba.

The only problem with Trick Samba imo is ruining Bushi and Imperial Charges, but that can be easily avoided.

Alright, so Trick Samba and Swords Dance is the way to go. :)

I've been going at such a slow pace lol. Haven't had a character break level 10 yet. Still only on floor B2 of Lush Woodlands.

Anteo

Post game Content Boss ahead!

I just beat the Fire Dragon. The first time he destroyed me in 2 turns. The second and third I was close but made a very bad mistake near the end of the fight. In the third fight I landed Blind, Curse, Venom, Paralysis at different points in the fight, but didn't have enough burst to extend them. The last fight he was really hard at the beginning, taking out my NS many times until I got him to 3/4. Then I landed poison and that shit lasted for the rest of the fight. It was like 8- 10 turns. I don't even know why it lasted so long!

Anyways. Now onto the next boss.

vall03

Post game Content Boss ahead!

I just beat the Fire Dragon. The first time he destroyed me in 2 turns. The second and third I was close but made a very bad mistake near the end of the fight. In the third fight I landed Blind, Curse, Venom, Paralysis at different points in the fight, but didn't have enough burst to extend them. The last fight he was really hard at the beginning, taking out my NS many times until I got him to 3/4. Then I landed poison and that shit lastet for the rest of the fight. It was like 8- 10 turns. I don't even know why it lasted so long!

Anyways. Now onto the next boss.

Speaking of which, Im still jealous of people who can kill them in 1-2 turns even without the best equipment. Maybe I should try it again...

Anteo

Speaking of which, Im still jealous of people who can kill them in 1-2 turns even without the best equipment. Maybe I should try it again...

I want to try that at some point. That reminds me, I haven't changed my gear since I beat the main campaing boss. Also, status effects are so effective in this game. Landing venom, paralysis or blind to a boss should not be legal :lol.

Edit: My strategy right now is: NS tries to land a status effect (if he does he'll be hitting 800-1200 per hit for a while). LS and F control the damage output of the Boss. M checks status effects and heals, the R goes for the elemental weakness. Near the end of the fight, I make the LS use all her mana in attack spells, to take the boss faster.

B.K.

I must have a bad party. I can't keep my team alive for more than two or three battles. I never had this much trouble in the first game.

8 hours into the game. Still haven't cleared the boss in Lush Woodlands. Though I'm being overly cautious, and super stingy with medicas.

I'm back to liking L/F/D + N/R

Haven't been able to use much besides the Dancer's Regen Waltz. Going to max it out soon. Chase Samba isn't working due to team speed being weird. Links aren't working well either since I haven't had a golden opportunity to use Vanguard since that means wasting a turn.

Nightstalker with status effects is working great. Though status effects seem to overwrite each other while some text suggests they stack.

Are medics as bad as people ITT made them out to be? Can they be subclassed with anything to make them great?

spiritfox

8 hours into the game. Still haven't cleared the boss in Lush Woodlands. Though I'm being overly cautious, and super stingy with medicas.

I'm back to liking L/F/D + N/R

Haven't been able to use much besides the Dancer's Regen Waltz. Going to max it out soon. Chase Samba isn't working due to team speed being weird. Links aren't working well either since I haven't had a golden opportunity to use Vanguard since that means wasting a turn.

Nightstalker with status effects is working great. Though status effects seem to overwrite each other while some text suggests they stack.

Are medics as bad as people ITT made them out to be? Can they be subclassed with anything to make them great?

Link teams are all about setup, since you need Vanguard and Improved Link to maximize your link damage. And you can only have one ailment on the enemy at any time, so just focus on one and then start dealing damage with N since they get a bonus with any ailment. Medics are not that bad, it's just that they can only heal and not do much damage. They are better as subclasses I guess.

Been thinking about retiring and starting a new party.

I/R N/I B/L
A/M R?

Is is a good lineup? I'm a bit worried that the front row might be too squishy. Maybe switch the N/I for a N/D or bring back my F. Not sure if I want a main R, but it's only her or S, the rest of the classes don't do very well in the rear.

jineha

Neo Member
Chase samba lasts a few turns so team speed shouldn't be the problem.
And buff/debuff is one of the core systems in EO, vanguard is very usefull skill.
Anyway, making chase/link party effective takes a long time. It will maybe good to try another way till you reach lv22, then reset your build to chase/link.

balddemon

Banned
This post has 2nd land spoilers in it.

Just so you guys know, the gamefaqs forums are a pretty decent source of information.

Cleared
dense bushland
and
miasma forest
, as well as picked up and sold a bunch of the
dragon poop
, and have done all the relevant quests. Haven't even set foot into the new labyrinth yet.

I freaking love this game lol.

Something about a quest in the second maze.

B1F, 7 AM to 9 AM, where? Am I missing a secret entrance, or will it appear in the usual pathway leading to the stairs to B2F?

Zeldana

Neo Member
It's at D-5.
Thanks for this, I actually left off tonight with a mental note to tackle this quest and get it out of the way first thing tomorrow. I found the end(?) of the maze today but I'm waiting to get to around lvl ~27-28 (currently: 26) before attempting the boss fight.

I'm a lot better off in this game with my current party. Still haven't figured out the linking system well enough to plan out what I want when I have more Skill Points at my disposal, but at least I started with a Fortress this time. The biggest mistakes I made in EOIII was walking out without a Hoplite and keeping a healer and Farmer with me at all times. Suffice it to say I'm not getting wiped out as often this time around.

Current setup: F/L/D, R/M

Maybe not ideal, but it's working for me so far!

vall03

Ok, Im at my wits end. Any tips for
Fallen One/Black Dragon?
Ive been trying various strategies, but everything seem to fail one way or the other. I blame it on his first attack during the first turn. I don't think this is a level issue either and Im sure theres some strategy that I still haven't tried yet.

So I am late to joining this thread - but is there a post someone could refer me to for a basic overview of building a link/chase party?

tuffy

So I am late to joining this thread - but is there a post someone could refer me to for a basic overview of building a link/chase party?

The basic idea is that a Lendsmirkt invests in link skills, Vanguard, and (at veteran level) the link improvement skill that adds more chases. Run Vanguard on the first round to always go first, add more chases on the second round, then attack with links on the next three rounds to chase lots of attacks with elemental damage.

But you'll want to have lots of attacks to chase, and that's where a Dancer comes in. Using something like Trick Samba or Rush Dance to put out a lot of attacks means you'll have a lot of chases and the damage really adds up.

Fallen One/Black Dragon?
Ive been trying various strategies, but everything seem to fail one way or the other. I blame it on his first attack during the first turn. I don't think this is a level issue either and Im sure theres some strategy that I still haven't tried yet.

For the first turn, if you know you're going to act before him, have your dancer do the dance that removes bind. If you're going to act after him, have everyone use Thericas on themselves.

Every time you remove about 1/4 of his life, he'll do another binding roar, so try to keep up the unbinding dance before he does it. Also, every time he does the binding roar, he switches the element of the attacks he'll use until the next roar. He'll start with physical, then after the first roar switch to elemental, and then switch back after the next roar and so on. The physical attacks can be stopped with an arm bind, and the elemental ones with leg bind. The elemental ones are probably more dangerous since they cause status effects. You are STRONGLY encouraged to have his head bound every turn that is a multiple of 5.

vall03

For the first turn, if you know you're going to act before him, have your dancer do the dance that removes bind. If you're going to act after him, have everyone use Thericas on themselves.

Every time you remove about 1/4 of his life, he'll do another binding roar, so try to keep up the unbinding dance before he does it. Also, every time he does the binding roar, he switches the element of the attacks he'll use until the next roar. He'll start with physical, then after the first roar switch to elemental, and then switch back after the next roar and so on. The physical attacks can be stopped with an arm bind, and the elemental ones with leg bind. The elemental ones are probably more dangerous since they cause status effects. You are STRONGLY encouraged to have his head bound every turn that is a multiple of 5.

Huh? Heres the problem though, Binding Roar also removes buffs, so even if I act before him, not only will it bind me, it will also remove the Freedom Waltz buff, so its kinda useless by the next turn. Unless of course buff removal is chance, but he did it to me twice already so I doubt that would work. Tried to stun hax him too, but it didn't last long for a few turns. But then again, I'll just have to keep on trying.

Soulhouf

I didn't start the game yet (I want to finish my Lunatic run on Fire Emblem Awakening first) but I have a question.
Is it possible to redistribute skills as in the first EO? It's important for me because I hate following a guide but experience by myself before making the right build instead.

tuffy

I didn't start the game yet (I want to finish my Lunatic run on Fire Emblem Awakening first) but I have a question.
Is it possible to redistribute skills as in the first EO? It's important for me because I hate following a guide but experience by myself before making the right build instead.
It is, and only costs 2 levels this time around. So it's very easy to experiment with all sorts of skill combinations in the tree.

Huh? Heres the problem though, Binding Roar also removes buffs, so even if I act before him, not only will it bind me, it will also remove the Freedom Waltz buff, so its kinda useless by the next turn. Unless of course buff removal is chance, but he did it to me twice already so I doubt that would work. Tried to stun hax him too, but it didn't last long for a few turns. But then again, I'll just have to keep on trying.

Oh right, completely forgot about the buff removal. You'll have to count on Thericas then. Or you could try giving your medic head bind immunity? There's an accessory that gives 8 resist, and a piece of armour that all classes can use that give another 3 resist.

vall03

Oh right, completely forgot about the buff removal. You'll have to count on Thericas then. Or you could try giving your medic head bind immunity? There's an accessory that gives 8 resist, and a piece of armour that all classes can use that give another 3 resist.

Sadly, I don't have a Medic, and I kinda hate those resist accessories since they wont work for me. I seriously just need to find a way to live the first few turns and dish out as much damage as possible within that same time too.

The basic idea is that a Lendsmirkt invests in link skills, Vanguard, and (at veteran level) the link improvement skill that adds more chases. Run Vanguard on the first round to always go first, add more chases on the second round, then attack with links on the next three rounds to chase lots of attacks with elemental damage.

But you'll want to have lots of attacks to chase, and that's where a Dancer comes in. Using something like Trick Samba or Rush Dance to put out a lot of attacks means you'll have a lot of chases and the damage really adds up.

Thanks, so if I'm currently rocking F N D front and M R back, should I replace my Nighsteeker with a Lardvark? I'm still on the first Land (almost done with it though), if that matters.

Totakeke

Post-Game
Fallen One

Theracia A on the two dancers/medics to refresh and you get one guy that's free to act! Most effective plan I have for that so far. :p

I'm kinda stuck at the part of that boss encounter where his Darkness Blade or something like that acts before my Fortress's Party Guard, wonder if his attack just acts first or my Fortress is too slow. Head bind works great, but still having problems surviving one single attack.

tuffy

Thanks, so if I'm currently rocking F N D front and M R back, should I replace my Nighsteeker with a Lardvark? I'm still on the first Land (almost done with it though), if that matters.

Nightseekers offer less setup and status effects can be very useful, but aren't going to match the pure damage output of a Landsmackt - especially when paired with a Runemaster who can make enemies weak to the element you're linking with. But don't be afraid to try some different styles to see what works for you.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Fallen One/Black Dragon?
My strategy for this boss fight was:
Use the 5 cost burst skill on round one that causes a guaranteed stun. This blocks the first roar and allowed me the time I needed to buff up and beat the crap out of him. I tried to unleash as much damage as possible in a single turn so that I took him from above 75% health to below 50% health so as to 'skip' one of the roars that occur based on his health.

I also had my sniper/arcanist and arcanist both with 3 points in the passive that has a chance to block binds/status to their row and on turns where I expected a bind, I would move my arcanist to the front row to block as many binds as possible. This wasn't that critical though because everyone usually still got hit with 1-2 binds anyway.

While blocking binds was a nice bonus when it happened it couldn't be relied upon so I also brought like 10 thracia's or whatever they're called to use on turns where I predicted he would roar.

Aside from that, my sniper and arcanist where able to bind him up and I kept casting releasal spell so that my odds didn't diminish later in the battle. He doesn't seem to have any particular resistance to binds and I could shut him down pretty reliably. And I used the black mist burst to extend key binds such as a head bind on turn 9. Having a head bind on turns divisible by 5 most the most critical.

edited for terrible spelling and grammar =\

Nightseekers offer less setup and status effects can be very useful, but aren't going to match the pure damage output of a Landsmackt - especially when paired with a Runemaster who can make enemies weak to the element you're linking with. But don't be afraid to try some different styles to see what works for you.

Cool - I'll keep that change in mind if my damage output starts to fall off. I'm having fun with the setup so far, though, so I don't think I'll make any changes just yet.

Nekki

How's the dungeon variety in the game?? I only played the first one, but I remember there wasn't this huge variety until quite late into the game. I still really liked it though hehe.

tuffy

How's the dungeon variety in the game?? I only played the first one, but I remember there wasn't this huge variety until quite late into the game. I still really liked it though hehe.

None of the sequels stuck to the progressively-darker forest theme quite like the first game and this one's no different. Each of the mazes has a distinct flavor for a nice change of scenery.

Link teams are all about setup, since you need Vanguard and Improved Link to maximize your link damage. And you can only have one ailment on the enemy at any time, so just focus on one and then start dealing damage with N since they get a bonus with any ailment. Medics are not that bad, it's just that they can only heal and not do much damage. They are better as subclasses I guess.

Been thinking about retiring and starting a new party.

I/R N/I B/L
A/M R?

Is is a good lineup? I'm a bit worried that the front row might be too squishy. Maybe switch the N/I for a N/D or bring back my F. Not sure if I want a main R, but it's only her or S, the rest of the classes don't do very well in the rear.

How much do I want to invest in the initial link skills anyway? My Rune Master has volt/ice invested at 2.

My Landsneckht currently only has 1 point invested in Blazing Link and Freezing Link. Do I want to max those or is 1 point enough?

scy

How much do I want to invest in the initial link skills anyway? My Rune Master has volt/ice invested at 2.

My Landsneckht currently only has 1 point invested in Blazing Link and Freezing Link. Do I want to max those or is 1 point enough?

Improved Link is a higher priority than maxing the individual Links themselves; the bulk of Link damage comes from the multiple hits. You want that first and then you can worry about boosting each of the links.

Beat the game last night. Ran out of TP on the final boss but it couldn't really significantly hurt me and regen waltz was enough to keep up for the most part. Getting lost at a couple spots made me a bit too strong for my own good.

Loaded up my save and tried to take on a dragon and oh god

Cleared the 3rd Land last night, entered the 4th and oh my god the music in this game is so good!
Now to ponder if I want a bushi in my party or not. Running a L/F/D A/R party right now and thats working pretty well, though I think subbing nightseeker on my dancer was not very worth it.

scy

Cleared the 3rd Land last night, entered the 4th and oh my god the music in this game is so good!
Now to ponder if I want a bushi in my party or not. Running a L/F/D A/R party right now and thats working pretty well, though I think subbing nightseeker on my dancer was not very worth it.

Dancer/Nightseeker is basically all about generating auto-attacks to constantly trigger Mist Haze (+ whatever your on-Normal Attack forges are) to fuel Trick Samba + a Link Landsknecht.

If you don't use a Link Landsknecht, there's probably a better sub option. Though, I quite like the regular attack spam to get Stuns and Petrifies off.

Althane

For Nightseekers, what's the opinion of the Spread Throw skill and the Preemptive Spread?

A 70% chance (at max rank) to hit every enemy with a potential blind/nerve and get some extra damage (the status mastery skill) for the rest of the battle seems pretty sweet.

Totakeke

For Nightseekers, what's the opinion of the Spread Throw skill and the Preemptive Spread?

A 70% chance (at max rank) to hit every enemy with a potential blind/nerve and get some extra damage (the status mastery skill) for the rest of the battle seems pretty sweet.

It's good for random mobs, but otherwise there's more worthwhile stuffs to put it into if you're more concerned about bosses.

Dancer/Nightseeker is basically all about generating auto-attacks to constantly trigger Mist Haze (+ whatever your on-Normal Attack forges are) to fuel Trick Samba + a Link Landsknecht.

If you don't use a Link Landsknecht, there's probably a better sub option. Though, I quite like the regular attack spam to get Stuns and Petrifies off.

Ah okay, I haven't hit 40 quite yet (everyones at 36) but I'll keep that in mind for when I get there. Also I have been using a link Landsknecht and I've been trying to work my team around that.

Top Bottom