• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

spiritfox

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal
Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: Into the Labyrinth
Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: Even in this thread, FOE!
Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: Welcome to the Explorer's Guild
Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: Beware the Cute Ones

speaking of cute ones, so far i encountered this cute little red enemy once on the overworld, i defeated it in one hit, nothing happened... there anything more to these guys than meets the eye?

Kirlia

Banned
speaking of cute ones, so far i encountered this cute little red enemy once on the overworld, i defeated it in one hit, nothing happened... there anything more to these guys than meets the eye?

You encountered a Pooka, I believe. After the battle, you should have gotten a Power Book. There are five types of Pooka, and each, should you defeat it, gives you a book that raises a character's stat (whichever one the book applies to) by one. You can use each type of book (Power, Intelligence, Vigor, Speed and Luck, and all are one-use items before disappearing) on each character ten times, meaning that you can use a maximum of 50 books on a character to improve all stats by ten. So definitely be on the lookout for Pookas (but don't worry too much if you can't get to one in time; they reappear if you explore long enough/plenty of time passes).

Anteo

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: Into the Labyrinth
Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: Even in this thread, FOE!
Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: Welcome to the Explorer's Guild
Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: Beware the Cute Ones

Deers, Why did it have to be deers

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: Warp Wires Welcome
Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: Community not Ariadne
Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: Exploring Labyrinths Without David Bowie
Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: Medics? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Medics
Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: A Landsknecht Walks Into a Bar...
Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: Your Princess is in Another Labyrinth

Just brainstorming a bit. :p
I thought a pun on Ariadne Thread/Community Thread would be fun but I couldn't think of a really good one.

My favorite ones so far.

another one:
Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: It's dangerous to go alone! Take this map!

While the hype is strong for a community thread in here, i'll just ask away:

What do binds do exactly? I keep hearing about them but i am not sure what they are and whether they are important or not.

My team is only level 8 across the board and i am using a Fortress, a Landsknecht and a Dancer in Front Row, while the back is made up of a Medic and a RM.

None of these can do binds (yet) so am i screwing myself out of something if i keep going with this team cos right now i don't feel like i'm missing something, i have been slaying a couple FOEs left and right and it feels ok like this..

What do binds do exactly? I keep hearing about them but i am not sure what they are and whether they are important or not.

Three types of binds: Head, Arm, and Leg.
Say you're fighting a magic-using enemy. Bind their head so they can't think and their magic attacks won't work.
Fighting a big ape that can take away 75% of a character's health in a single hit? Bind its arms and it can't use them anymore.
Leg binds also reduce speed in addition to stopping leg-based attacks, I believe.
It's not a necessary status effect to inflict but I've found it majorly helpful and landing a successful bind on a difficult boss can be thrilling and let you relax for a turn or two. :p

omlet

Head Bind - Reduces magic defense and disables any skill that requires Head (these are things like magic skills and other "verbal" things like taunt and charge).

Arm Bind - Reduces physical damage done by basic attacks and also disables any arm-based skills (many physical attack skills).

Leg Bind - Reduces evasion rate to 0, prevents Flee, lowers turn speed (I think), and also disables any leg based skills (some attack skills and defensive skills are leg-based).

Unlike a status effect, you can have all 3 binds on you at once (likewise you can apply all 3 to an enemy at once). Binds will effect friend and foe alike and as you get farther in the game you will fight enemies that will bind you.

Bind application is based on the LUK stat IIRC. A class you will unlock later specializes in binds.

In EO 1 (and Untold) and 2 there is a class called Dark Hunter that deals absurd damage to enemies under Bind status. Fun class, but it's not in EOIV.

Binds are useful but you don't need to worry about not having them. Thing about party building in EO is that you can never have everything; you'll always be missing something from your party and as such certain things will be easier (or harder) for one kind of team than they were for another.

omlet

thanks! aren't there sub-classes later on though? Maybe i can still have binds if i give one of my guys a subclass that has bind then?

Yeah, that's what I did. My medic has the arcanist subclass for debuff and bind support. The thing is that subclasses can only get a skill to half rank, capping its effectiveness, and also the arcanist class has a good LUK stat while medic does not. It will work but not as reliably (enemies will resist the bind much more often) as if you had the bind skills at full rank (on main class) with a good LUK stat to back them.

The arcanist class gets a skill that will reset/nullify all of the bind/ailment resistances of an enemy (at a very high TP cost) and then you can more easily stick binds/ailments, but it takes a turn to do so depending on what you're fighting you may not be able to afford that turn sometimes.

Some people like to just swap out arcanist for medic since arcanist can also heal. They can't heal as well as a medic but they can typically heal good enough (if they sub medic), especially if you have a dancer in the party who can help heal or remove ailments when needed. I would not recommend subbing Sniper onto another class for binds.

Sniper and the Arcanist are the binding classes, use the Arcanist class if you want to bind everything.

You get subclassing half way through the 3rd land.

Better to retire your medic and then do Arcanist with subclass Medic than subclass Arcanist on your Medic though. It doesn't take too long to level it back and you can use one of the items you get when you unlock arcanist to get instant lvl 15(or was it 20). Having the strong reliable binds of the Arcanist makes a lot of fights a ton easier, and it's nice against annoying random encounters too since it's aoe binds.

You don't really need Binds at all, though they're very good, kinda like how you don't need various status ailment like paralyze but they help a decent bit. Early game unless you have a Sniper though you're not going to do binds at all, and Snipers bind rate is awful for a while so mostly it's fairly crap early game.

omlet

So my afternoon plans for today fell through so I'm working on this thread atm for a couple hours or so.

Dandy Crocodile, you still up for supplying some artwork and stuff? If so I will focus on just informational/text stuff for now and not fire up good ol' GIMP today.

Should I draft this in a google docs for you guys to chime in as we go?

Edit: I also like the princess title idea, or maybe some variation, like "Sorry, the Princess is Fighting and Healing in Another Labyrinth?" :p

Dandy Crocodile, you still up for supplying some artwork and stuff? If so I will focus on just informational/text stuff for now and not fire up good ol' GIMP today.

I've got a bunch of resources downloaded for each game and I'll get cracking on 'shopping them up when I get out of work. :)
Let me know what sort of sections you're writing so I can do the headers.

omlet

So far the outline is...

(thread intro - need a banner)

What is Etrian Odyssey? (quick overview of style of game)
Pave Your Way (mapping)
Series Entries (with sub-headings for each game, few details about each game)
Class System (with sub-headings for each class in the series, few details about each class and which games they're in)
Battle System (a bit about FOEs and system stuff)
Other Resources (fansites/wik)

Feel free to suggest other things to include.

Battle system probably should be a bit more generalized like Game systems or Mechanics, as a new player to the series fairly recently, a bunch of stuff confused me a bit:

- Binds(as seen on this very page a few posts up, system isn't obvious and isn't explained in detail in the game)
- FOEs
- Retiring, Subclass/Grimoire
- Rows(specifically how they function in these games compared to others in the genre, back row can get hit, just less often, back row can melee front row, back rows take less damage)
- Speed/Turn Order(and the dependance on weapons "weight" to determine your speed, though not sure that's the same in every game, but again something that's not explained anywhere)

ok got most of that, thinking of exchanging my medic for an arcanist soon... but then i won't have a healer at ALL until i learn sub classes right? well except for my dancer but thats just support healing hmmm

ok got most of that, thinking of exchanging my medic for an arcanist soon... but then i won't have a healer at ALL until i learn sub classes right? well except for my dancer but thats just support healing hmmm

Arcanists heal with circles. I don't remember if they need certain prerequisite skills before doing that though.
I found the Arcanist heal was perfectly fine until I got subclassing to make an A/M.

EDIT: Yes, with Circle Boon and Dismiss Circle you will have mild passive healing with an option of moderate-large heals.

omlet

Battle system probably should be a bit more generalized like Game systems or Mechanics, as a new player to the series fairly recently, a bunch of stuff confused me a bit:

- Binds(as seen on this very page a few posts up, system isn't obvious and isn't explained in detail in the game)
- FOEs
- Rows(specifically how they function in these games compared to others in the genre, back row can get hit, just less often, back row can melee front row, back rows take less damage)
- Speed/Turn Order(and the dependance on weapons "weight" to determine your speed, though not sure that's the same in every game, but again something that's not explained anywhere)

I was planning to talk about FOEs, Binds, and turn order, but rows, retiring/subclassing and grimoires are good suggestions.

As Dandy Crocodile said, you can kinda heal with Arcanist, though it requires some planning. Basically circles do a small heal every turn if you have the passive for it(put at least 1pt in it, think you need like 4 anyway as prereq) and then you can dismiss heal to remove the circle for a fairly substantial group heal. The thing though is when I switched to Arcanist, I also got the heal power thing(the one you use with the charges you gain) and I had a Fortress tank which took most of the damage anyway, so I'd just heal with that and didn't need to heal with the Arcanist much, until I got the subclass Medic. You also get the heal per step taken out of combat to regen between fights, so you're always full at the start of the fights.

You can just wait for the subclass stuff though if you prefer, but that means you'll have to regrind the arcanist more to reach the others' levels since it happens quite a bit later. Or you can even wait a bit more to finish that labyrinth then you get an auto level to 35 item to catch up faster.

As others have mentioned, the Healer has passive healing and you can also do a heal when you destroy their circles, you'll understand what I mean later on.

I never used a Medic, even if I did have a Dancer helping the front line.

- FOEs

Then it wouldn't be a class-based system. It's like a FPS without guns.

omlet

Then it wouldn't be a class-based system. It's like a FPS without guns.

Huh?

He's not stating an opinion on the game design, he's replying to my post above talking about the heading of "Battle System" should be generalized into "Game Mechanics" with a "Battle" section under that along with another section for stuff that isn't directly related to the combat.

Huh?

He's not stating an opinion on the game design, he's replying to my post above talking about the heading of "Battle System" should be generalized into "Game Mechanics" with a "Battle" section under that along with another section for stuff that isn't directly related to the combat.

Huh. I was following the other conversation (he was in both).

Carry on and ignore me.

Alright, so i was gonna switch to Arcanist earlier only to figure out i don't HAVE Arcanist on my list yet so at what point in the game will i unlock him?

Also: Did i screw myself this time? In Lush Woodlands, i managed to have the bear chase me all over the place to open up the blocked passages EXCEPT for one (the one all the way to the right), he just wouldn't follow me that far and i tried a lot of times too... so i just killed the bastard in the end ( was a messy fight but i came out on top) now he's gone and won't respawn ;( I have no other way to go in this labyrinth and it seems that was the only way to do it... does the game screw you like that on occasions or is there another way out?

Also: It seems i did all the quests so far and i simply won't get new ones at the dancing peacock... what gives?

Anustart

You'll get arcanist after end of 2nd land.

I'm currently leveling one! Keep changing party members to give everyone a shot. Game is just sooo good. Tell me eo v is coming someday.

You'll get arcanist after end of 2nd land.

I'm currently leveling one! Keep changing party members to give everyone a shot. Game is just sooo good. Tell me eo v is coming someday.

Play EO3 when you're done with IV, it's considered by many to be the best of the series.

Or wait for the eventual remake in probably 2-4 years.

Kirlia

Banned
Play EO3 when you're done with IV, it's considered by many to be the best of the series.

Or wait for the eventual remake in probably 2-4 years.

I couldn't wait; I got EO3 as a birthday gift not too long ago. I'm really enjoying it so far. It's challenging, but not overwhelming (yet).

omlet

Just checking in to say Dandy Crocodile and I got a lot of work done on the community thread today (well, I guess today is relative considering what time of night it is here right now lol). About 17500 characters and counting. He got most of the initial artwork done tonight. I'm still typing up stuff about the series. Should get some more done tomorrow afternoon.

Alright, so i was gonna switch to Arcanist earlier only to figure out i don't HAVE Arcanist on my list yet so at what point in the game will i unlock him?

Also: Did i screw myself this time? In Lush Woodlands, i managed to have the bear chase me all over the place to open up the blocked passages EXCEPT for one (the one all the way to the right), he just wouldn't follow me that far and i tried a lot of times too... so i just killed the bastard in the end ( was a messy fight but i came out on top) now he's gone and won't respawn ;( I have no other way to go in this labyrinth and it seems that was the only way to do it... does the game screw you like that on occasions or is there another way out?

Also: It seems i did all the quests so far and i simply won't get new ones at the dancing peacock... what gives?

If you sleep, FOEs respawn. Or well they respawn after a day or something, so you could just run around for a while.

Quests are tied to your missions progress. Basically you'll need to complete whatever mission you're on right now to get more sidequests of appropriate level.

And as said, Arcanist is unlocked later on, around lvl 25-30 or so, until then you'll just medic.

If you sleep, FOEs respawn. Or well they respawn after a day or something, so you could just run around for a while.

right, i can do that BUT how am i supposed to lure him to said spot? He will follow up to a door or a corner, then quit chasing me, this basically locks up the entire Lush Woodlands dungeon for me since i can't progress past the only place that is left to explore since the way is barred

Quests are tied to your missions progress. Basically you'll need to complete whatever mission you're on right now to get more sidequests of appropriate level.

I only got the the first Outland Count mission so far which i completed a long time ago, got some sidequests, which i completed also and that's it, not more new mission :(

And as said, Arcanist is unlocked later on, around lvl 25-30 or so, until then you'll just medic.

got it

edit: THIS damn game!!! I just went through Lush Woodlands again and i noticed i forgot to map out one TINY pathway which i must have overlooked... yeah, figures it's the one that takes me to a second bear FOE which then breaks the barrier and also to a set of stairs which led to advancing the story and probably the missions etc. as well DOH, you gotta be REALLY thorough with this it seems ;) my own damn fault though...

Anteo

got it

edit: THIS damn game!!! I just went through Lush Woodlands again and i noticed i forgot to map out one TINY pathway which i must have overlooked... yeah, figures it's the one that takes me to a second bear FOE which then breaks the barrier and also to a set of stairs which led to advancing the story and probably the missions etc. as well DOH, you gotta be REALLY thorough with this it seems ;) my own damn fault though...

Happens to the best of us. Same for the threads, people forget to buy them really often.

Nachos

Aw man, I just found out you all were going through with the community thread. I'm wrapped up in a personal project right now, but if that wasn't eating up my free time, I'd definitely be willing to help with text/graphics.

I'm not sure how far along you are with the graphics, but as far as typefaces go, I think I've got a few suggestions. All of the Etrian games from the fourth one onward have used Neuton, which, luckily, is free for use. However, just about any transitional serif would both fit thematically and have enhanced legibility over any old-style serif or modern/didot one. As for display typefaces, I've been thinking of using free faces like My Fair Cody, Coco, or Valkyrie in the English 2 Untold OT, so you might find those helpful, too. The latter two eschew more towards the style of Untold, though, since they're originally made for fashion design.

I'll definitely be looking forward to it once it's out, though! Feel free to PM me if you need any help with typesetting.

I haven't touched IV in a while, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but FOEs respawn every seven days, while bosses respawn every fourteen. As for the side quests, I think you basically unlock at least one new one every time you reach a new mini-dungeon/stratum floor.

- FOEs
You might already have this covered, but be sure to mention the difference between how the grimoires in Untold and 2 Untold work, as well as the King Grimoires. As for the speed bonus, I'm pretty sure that its been additive as of 3, while it was multiplicative in 1 and 2.

omlet

I've got sections for the following gameplay things, but not sure how much detail is really good to go into. I mean, it's a CT not a comprehensive wiki.
FOEs
Binds
Formation
Attributes
Turn Order
Buffs
Conditional Drops
Chasers
Critical Hits
Attack Types
Retiring/Resting
Subclassing
Grimoire
Streetpass/Guild Card

What are you guys' thoughts?

Edit: Actually already bumping up against the character limit for the whole post... gonna have to make some cuts.

spiritfox

Maybe cut the game specific stuff like Streetpasses and Grimoires, and just gove a brief overview of the game mechanics, highlighting special stuff like binds and FOEs.

omlet

Probably a good idea. I wasn't planning on writing a Seven Kings Grimoire walkthrough for the thread so I can keep it short. Will probably be able to finish this complete draft tonight, actually. Any volunteers to proof-read/review?

Alright people, the community thread is ready to go but we need one last opinion on a thread title.

These were former favorites:

And if you have an idea for a different title please say it now!

Your princess is in another Labyrinth sounds good to me!

I just paid 1000en for a fuckin KOPIS at that Lush Woodlands vendor??? WTF :(((((

teasing me with a "broad bladed sword" yeah right.... what a chump, too bad i can't kill NPCs or else...

Top Bottom