• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold (to consumers) 4.2 million units as of Dec. 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikaruga!

Neo Member
warofthegeny4ypz.jpg

IvorB

For a time, yeah, but PS3 hardware doesn't seem to have been doing big numbers for ages over there. This together with the Wii U being stillborn and home console software doing a fraction the business of handheld software (It's shocking how close Vita versions of PS3/PSV games come to matching sales of the PS3 versions given the huge userbase difference) and the fact that practically all the biggest franchises in Japan are handheld based now just leads to that conclusion.

I can't imagine a scenario where a home console does massive numbers in Japan again unless something drastic happens is all. Would love to be wrong though, obviously.

Hmmm... maybe. But I seriously doubt that any useful conclusions can be drawn from WiiU performance on the state of console gaming in Japan. The WiiU is a flawed product and it is doing poorly. The PS4, I would say, is a much better product so it should hopefully do better. Once a new FF comes out or some other home console series that the Japanese love I think we will see great performance from PS4.

I didn't, but by that date I expect at least 15 million.

Does anyone remember the predictions the execs made back in early December? There was one figure what they expected from end of December and another of what they expected at the end of March?

They aren't gonna sell 15 million, it would be something if Sony could ship 2m consoles/month on average for the next 6 months straight. I expect 7.5m through end of March, and another 2.5m through end of June.

10 million is a reasonable figure, beating Wii LTD for June 30, 2007. I expect Sony to give a figure like 9 million at their E3 conference.

lol

Sethista

That is one of the greatest thing Ive seen recently.

ALl this will be very interesting to talk about after NPD. Its very interesting to see the attach rate for PS, 2 games per console. I think its a very good number, considering every game is 60 dollars still, or was at launch. I expect this number to go up, after prices for games drop and more titles are available.

Ikaruga!

Neo Member
Glad you like my pic :)

They are flooding the USA, they need to send some of thoes units to Europe.

No worries, they are in stock here everywhere, you can also order some from amazon and get them with their overnight express within one day delivered.

Ikaruga!

Neo Member
I don't know what you're talking about, it's wildly inaccurate! I mean Don Mattrick doesn't even work at Microsoft any more!

I know, but everybody loves him, right? :(

Though I've made a version without him, cause I was thinking about that too:

warofthegen2a9ftw.jpg

Ballmer won't be there long either, MS is losing all their key figures :(

Gxgear

Sony may have started production earlier, but they still produced less and still hit demand sooner, so your point is accurate but largely irrelevant.

Any sources to suggest or confirm PS4 is lagging behind in production, despite having started a month earlier?

Atlas157

warofthegen2a9ftw.jpg

Get the very last frame of this gif and put his face on there.

major_nelson_working_hard-95588.gif

Zachi

Banned

warofthegen2a9ftw.jpg

LOL...

though for accuracy, I think Wii U is still in the 4.5M range

Felessan

You'd be hard pressed to find someone who loves his PS4 more than I do, but really, I can't foresee any scenario where the console does good business in Japan. That market is pretty much dead for home consoles at this point
There is no real evidence for this. WiiU struggle has nothing to do with consoles in general as shown already, and rise of hendhelds/mobile gaming is not necessary lead to significant decline in home gaming - after all it's kinda different leisures.
In reality there is no clue what is the current state of console gaming in Japan - WiiU is unattractive and have little to offer from 3rd party, Wii died too early, PS3 is old and was kinda complex to really push the boundaries for many devs.
This means that last several years there was just a void in console space. It could mean that consoles by themselves becoming obsolete, but on other hand it could mean that there just nothing here to fill this void.

What's the most popular game on this list? Dynasty Warriors? Yakuza? COD? Dream Club? I expect PS4 to sell as much as whatever the top selling game is. :)

Dynasty Warriors (PS3/numbered) : 300-400k
Yakuza ( PS3 ) : 500-700k
CoD ( PS3 ) : ~200k

If we take into account many other factors (DW is a rerelease, Yakuza has a PS3 version, CoD has a PS3 version, etc ), I would say that those titles would probably only sell around 30-50% of what they could had moved had they been exclusives...

I'd guess 500k at launch, and reaching a million within 2-3 months. Then slowdown.

So 3 million for the Xbone, And 4.2 Mill for the PS4, I wonder if that extra 1.2 mill was people like me who switched from the xbox 360 too the ps4 and not the xbone. So had MS not messed up with the policies and specs of the Xbone it could quite easily be the other way around, Just shows that gamers really are fussed what they spend there money on.

We have to wait and see if thats really true. A few weeks ago many people predicted the doom of console gaming in the west, and yet we had the most successful launch ever. I still have a little hope, that PS4 is able to get a bit confidence back into consoles in Japan. And Sony shifted their focus on the markets they had lost to Micrososft last generation and won it back with their strategy. I agree that Europe finally get the treatment from Sony that it deserves but Japan was "sacrificed" for more than just declining interest in home consoles.

The sales have been awesome, but I think there are quite a few people that when looking at those sales are underselling or ignoring altogether that we just had the longest generation in console history. I think it reflects more of the gaming enthusiast's desire for new hardware.

PS3 and 360 combined have barely passed PS2 and that's with more years without a successor console.

Thorgal

Honestly, I think the PS4 is going to bomb in Japan. Wii U levels of bomb. I just don't see many people picking up such an expensive machine to play Yakuza and Knack. I'm guessing the launch numbers will be mediocre and then there will be a huge drop-off right after. 3DS and mobile seem to be the only things they care about over there.

This gets repeated again and again and i don't understand this argument .

Is 399 ps4 expensive ? depends on what your personal opinion is on expensive .

Is it too expensive to be a hindrance to it's sales ? Apparently not. as they sell faster then Sony can make them in the rest of the world .

Now 40.000 Yen is roughly 399$ (actually it is a bit cheaper even ).

Now unless someone can show or tell me that the average Japanese person/gamer has on average less income/Allowance then a western one there is not a single proof that it is "too expensive " for the Japanese to buy.

Also .according to some A Japanese person cannot have both a Phone for games and a Console for games. he can only have one .
How does that make any sense ?

Vizzeh

Banned
So 3 million for the Xbone, And 4.2 Mill for the PS4, I wonder if that extra 1.2 mill was people like me who switched from the xbox 360 too the ps4 and not the xbone. So had MS not messed up with the policies and specs of the Xbone it could quite easily be the other way around, Just shows that gamers really are fussed what they spend there money on.

I would say the biggest factor with Xbox losing the customers they did is that theres a good chance its mostly Core/Hardcore Gamers (some bringing their 'less' enthusiastic gamer friends with them ofc)

I would love to see the figures of an average Casual and average Core/hardcore gamers game collection/money spent on Games per year. I would hazard a guess that Not only Sony would get those gamers but get some of the best types. The ones who buy games.

Be interesting to see a % of Core/Hardcore switched to Sony and a % of Casual switched to Sony, that wont happen ofc, but we can certainly compare Games Sold.

BadWolf

I would say the biggest factor with Xbox losing the customers they did is that theres a good chance its mostly Core/Hardcore Gamers (some bringing their 'less' enthusiastic gamer friends with them ofc)

I would love to see the figures of an average Casual and average Core/hardcore gamers game collection/money spent on Games per year. I would hazard a guess that Not only Sony would get those gamers but get some of the best types. The ones who buy games.

Be interesting to see a % of Core/Hardcore switched to Sony and a % of Casual switched to Sony, that wont happen ofc, but we can certainly compare Games Sold.

More like coming back to Sony.

The 360's success was in a large part due to Sony's mistakes with the PS3 (launched a year later at a ridiculous price etc.). But even then the PS3 was able to catch up.

With no head start and a higher price? Very little chance for MS to keep up.

Combined, PS4 & Xbone will be well over 10m by March for sure. Absolutely safe bet there.

In regards to Titanfall exclusivity, I'm still not seeing any reason why EA or Respawn would so terribly lament the Xbox/Windows exclusivity. The lion's share of sales will be on the 360 no matter what anyway. If anything, they're probably missing PS3 sales far more so than PS4, but I'm sure whatever fat check(s) they got from MS have eased that pain in any case.

Anyone who wants to game will find a way to buy it and play it...whether that be via their 360, X1, or PC. I really don't see them "losing" much money especially since any check MS will have given them will undoubtedly cover the small audience that doesn't own or plan on getting one of the three devices it will be available on.

Vizzeh

Banned
More like coming back to Sony.

The 360's success was in a large part due to Sony's mistakes with the PS3 (launched a year later at a ridiculous price etc.). But even then the PS3 was able to catch up.

With no head start and a higher price? Very little chance for MS to keep up.

Yeah agreed for the most part :)

onQ123

The sales have been awesome, but I think there are quite a few people that when looking at those sales are underselling or ignoring altogether that we just had the longest generation in console history. I think it reflects more of the gaming enthusiast's desire for new hardware.

PS3 and 360 combined have barely passed PS2 and that's with more years without a successor console.

But PS3 , Xbox 360 & Wii has outsold PS2,Xbox , Gamecube & Dreamcast by a lot.

Yeah, it's a little unfair to compare against a 13 year PS2 number but then downplay this past generation since it lasted 7/8 years. Wii is at 2/3 of the PS2 number by itself after 7 years.

kyser73

PS2 was being manufactured for about 12 years, so come back to me about the PS3 sales in 2018.

Could you clarify this for me? The PS360 has done 160m units since launch, the PS2 155m ish. And 50m of those were after the PS360 launched.

Sure. PS2 was on the market six years before PS3 released. PS3 was on the market seven years before PS4 released and the 360 was on the market eight years before XB1. Console sales always fall off once newer consoles are released. In PS2's life span, it sold more consoles including the time during PS360's market time (where sales fell off), than PS360 did in a span with no concerns of successors. And with the desire for new consoles, I do not see PS360 having the sales longevity of PS2 either which will keep their combined numbers from clearly surpassing PS2. PS4's better launch pricing will help see to that.

Another way to look at it is PS3 and 360 had more time on the market before a successor and yet neither came close to what PS2 did in six years. That's also ignoring the ~20M for Xbox in an even shorter span.

So what I'm getting at is that while launch sales are great, I still expect the market to shrink and would caution people not to get overly excited with what we've seen at launch. To me it seems this last gen needed more time to achieve similar results to the gen before. And I still expect the current gen to have fewer sales than last gen. New consoles are great for the gaming enthusiast, but what is going to be the primary sales driver for non-gamers and casual gamers? (Side note: Go here for my early definitions for these types of gamers.) Keeping the answer short because I need to go, I do not see what is supposed to continue to push sales to such high levels once the enthusiasts have had their fill.

Wii was a sales anomaly for Nintendo that used the Blue Ocean strategy to bring in non-gamers. That's why I'm not including Wii.

PS2 was being manufactured for about 12 years, so come back to me about the PS3 sales in 2018.

And it sales weren't strong for all twelve years.

Phades

LOL. I won't be surprised if Bish comes by again to fork another thread titled "Rescue an xbox one now"

Lol the electronics version of the aspca. Rescue one from your local electronics shelter. Prevent the mistreatment of xbox units by taking one home today instead of a PS4. Thousands are suffering and for a little over a dollar a day, you can save an xbox in the wild. Look at these pictures of xbox units sitting on shelves, neglected in store rooms, and occasionally cramed into bathrooms and break rooms. Call now!

In terms of the PS4 selling 10 million overall before 2015, it's possible. If it doesn't happen then I think it will be pretty close. It will also depend on how well the future exclusives are too though. Infamous and The Order are the main reasons I'm planning on getting one late next year.
If the PS4 manages 300k units on average per month world wide till november, plus 800k on the japan launch, that leaves only needing to sell 2 million units through the holiday season to make that figure. That seems fairly lowball of an estimate. Greater than 11 seems probable if the current demand doesn't sputter out by the end of 1Q and doesn't manage to do only half of this year's sales during next year's holiday season.

I'm hesitant to assume Japan will do 1M for them. I could see it only being a few hundred K the first week.
I'm thinking in the range of 700k-900k at a minimum. I'm thinking more than 1.3-1.5 won't happen though in the first week. Japan has done way more in the past and they are probably feeling a similar generational fatigue and want to move on. IIRC there is a stronger push to move on to newer things over there than in the US. The pre-orders also sold out quickly similar to the rest of the world. I think a lot of folks are lowballing this one a bit too much.

Mario007

Sure. PS2 was on the market six years before PS3 released. PS3 was on the market seven years before PS4 released and the 360 was on the market eight years before XB1. Console sales always fall off once newer consoles are released. In PS2's life span, it sold more consoles including the time during PS360's market time (where sales fell off), than PS360 did in a span with no concerns of successors. And with the desire for new consoles, I do not see PS360 having the sales longevity of PS2 either which will keep their combined numbers from clearly surpassing PS2. PS4's better launch pricing will help see to that.

Another way to look at it is PS3 and 360 had more time on the market before a successor and yet neither came close to what PS2 did in six years. That's also ignoring the ~20M for Xbox in an even shorter span.

So what I'm getting at is that while launch sales are great, I still expect the market to shrink and would caution people not to get overly excited with what we've seen at launch. To me it seems this last gen needed more time to achieve similar results to the gen before. And I still expect the current gen to have fewer sales than last gen. New consoles are great for the gaming enthusiast, but what is going to be the primary sales driver for non-gamers and casual gamers? (Side note: Go here for my early definitions for these types of gamers.) Keeping the answer short because I need to go, I do not see what is supposed to continue to push sales to such high levels once the enthusiasts have had their fill.

Wii was a sales anomaly for Nintendo that used the Blue Ocean strategy to bring in non-gamers. That's why I'm not including Wii.

And it sales weren't strong for all twelve years.
Stop. PS2 sold around 100 million before the PS3 was released. PS3 sold 80 million and Xbox360 sold 80 million before their successor was released. Yes there is a year of a difference but you're comparing 120(with original Xbox numbers) to 160 and still trying to make the point that 120>160.

Vizzeh

Banned
Stop. PS2 sold around 100 million before the PS3 was released. PS3 sold 80 million and Xbox360 sold 80 million before their successor was released. Yes there is a year of a difference but you're comparing 120(with original Xbox numbers) to 160 and still trying to make the point that 120>160.

I normally dont like to get involved in the numbers comparisons as it opens up too much interpretation but since its a sales thread, whatever.

With PS3 + Xbox360 Selling 80million, I wonder How many of those 80million were RROD/YLOD and repeat purchases ( I personally went throuh 3 Xboxs and 1 PS3, Only Xboxs died for me.)

Is there a Games Sold to customers ps3 v xbox 360. (with or without the Xbox Year headstart)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom