• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orioto art thread - New VG wall every thursday!

Bit-Bit

Thx!

I'm sorry lol i don't want to be mean but those frescoes are way too much. It's dead if there is nobody interested. I need to sell each month a certain amount at that point to survive. So i just cannot put my money on the wrong horse. This is a lot of work and love put toward a game fan community. If they are not there..

Yeah, a lot of the concepts of those panels in the fresco can be it's own art work. I personally feel like you're wasting your time on the big fresco when I'm sure just 2 or 3 iconic scenes would do.

orioto

Good Art™
Yeah, a lot of the concepts of those panels in the fresco can be it's own art work. I personally feel like you're wasting your time on the big fresco when I'm sure just 2 or 3 iconic scenes would do.

But that's cause i do the whole thing that it has a certain value, to my eyes at least! This is not some random fanart, this is pretty unique.

orioto

Good Art™
I'll the last step today and tomorrow ;)

MegamanFrscWip07.jpg

In my case, I haven't bought SMB3 mostly because, as much as I love the game, I just can't picture the fresco on a wall of my future home. I honestly am trying not to spend as much on gaming or entertainment any more, but the FFVI fresco was something really special and unique. I will definitely get the other two frescoes as well, but I doubt I'll buy any others, and definitely not so soon after getting the FFVI piece. I would consider getting one of your other Mario pictures somewhere down the road, perhaps, and even spending a fair amount of money on it if I can, but FFVI is one of the few games I would splurge on now just because I have so many wonderful memories of the game.

The other problem with a fresco is I feel like I have to get a large one since it's divided into smaller panels. Limited money and wallspace at work.

The only other games I can see that happening with are Xenogears, Shadow of the Colossus, and Suikoden 2. I will probably get one of your stunning Zeldas as a print eventually. Actually, looking over your work, I will have to get your Grandia at some point and Mega Man X too.

Yka

This could be your greatest fresco yet, Orioto!

My suggestions for improvements (I hope I'm not too late...):

MegamanFrscWip10Yka_zps434a3849.jpg~original

1. Robot master order is important part of the Mega Man games and I would love to use this artwork as a walkthrough guide each time I replay the first Mega Man game.

Suggested order: http://www.mmhp.net/GameHints/MM1.html#Order

You should number the boss fights like I have done in the picture.

P.S. It doesn't matter at all that the stage/level panels and Mega Man suit/power combinations don't follow this order.

2. Bomb Man stage: I moved the big blue power up from the Cut Man stage here (made it a bit bigger and darker blue). I added a firing Mambu.

3. Cut Man stage: I removed the big blue power up (Mega Man should have picked it up on his way to the platform). I added the second Adhering Suzy and a firing Mambu (altered the green bricks a bit).

4. Fire Man stage: I added a small white power up and a 1up Mega Man head (altered the platform under it). 1up Mega Man head is a must!

5. Ice Man stage: Center of the panel looked too empty so I added one Pepe (penquin). Pepes should have white speed/movement trails! I also added a big white power up (under the water so lightly blue) and a Foot Holder.

6. Mega Man should have the Guts Man / Super Arm suit in the Yellow Devil panel (Mega Man isn't shooting so it is a perfect fit).

7. Doctor Wily should be visible in the final battle panel (but I'm sure that was already your plan...).

8. The final picture should have FIN or THE END text. I would prefer FIN since you are a French artist.

I will definitely get at least one large fresco, if you add some of these ideas to your work. Those numbers are very important to me. And those enemies. And power ups. Small details and fixes. Ahh... I want it all!!!

orioto

Good Art™
This could be your greatest fresco yet, Orioto!

My suggestions for improvements (I hope I'm not too late...):

1. Robot master order is important part of the Mega Man games and I would love to use this artwork as a walkthrough guide each time I replay the first Mega Man game.

Suggested order: http://www.mmhp.net/GameHints/MM1.html#Order

You should number the boss fights like I have done in the picture.

P.S. It doesn't matter at all that the stage/level panels and Mega Man suit/power combinations don't follow this order.

2. Bomb Man stage: I moved the big blue power up from the Cut Man stage here (made it a bit bigger and darker blue). I added a firing Mambu.

3. Cut Man stage: I removed the big blue power up (Mega Man should have picked it up on his way to the platform). I added the second Adhering Suzy and a firing Mambu (altered the green bricks a bit).

4. Fire Man stage: I added a small white power up and a 1up Mega Man head (altered the platform under it). 1up Mega Man head is a must!

5. Ice Man stage: Center of the panel looked too empty so I added one Pepe (penquin). Pepes should have white speed/movement trails! I also added a big white power up (under the water so lightly blue) and a Foot Holder.

6. Mega Man should have the Guts Man / Super Arm suit in the Yellow Devil panel (Mega Man isn't shooting so it is a perfect fit).

7. Doctor Wily should be visible in the final battle panel (but I'm sure that was already your plan...).

8. The final picture should have FIN or THE END text. I would prefer FIN since you are a French artist.

I will definitely get at least one large fresco, if you add some of these ideas to your work. Those numbers are very important to me. And those enemies. And power ups. Small details and fixes. Ahh... I want it all!!!

Lol!
Well that's the kind of post i was expecting some days ago ;) But you needed to see the content of each panel lol!

Actually i agree with almost everything in your post and it's funny i was thinking about doing most of this yeah. I even forgot the moving trail for the penguins (that i added for the bullets in the first panel).

I'll do all of that. Now, the number hmm.. lol. I'll see!
Thx anyway, great input!

PS: Oh, for the guts man weapon, he can have it in the yellow boss but.. he wouldn't use it in that fight.. no ? There is nothing to throw ?

orioto

Good Art™
So, the next one is a pause from videogames, but many of can appreciate it still i think.

Let's see if the fresco theme is obvious to some!

MiyaFrsc01.jpg

So, the next one is a pause from videogames, but many of can appreciate it still i think.

Let's see if the fresco theme is obvious to some!

MiyaFrsc01.jpg

Castle of Casgliotro, pretty cool.

The theme is anime? Or its Miyazaki works?

You should post that on the anime thread.

The Megaman fresco was awesome.

Salamando

Yeah i'll do all that stuff but i hope i can also do that kind of more "marginal" game. But for that i need fans to assemble :p And i will certainly not wait for the 4-5 regular poster here to buy all my stuff lol ;) Really, the only way is to make my work known.

I'll try to spam the hell of capcom fans when it's released (Wednesday i think).

See for now, FFVI sold 88. Mario bros 3 sold 21... I need to find a regular middle ground lol. I really don't get why the Mario one is not selling better, even if i still think the idea of having a poster focused on gameplay is a little too hardcore for most people. We'll see with megaman.

Dammit, completely forgot to buy the FFVI one once payday hit. Any chance of it being available again?

Trike

So uh, not that I don't love your art or anything, but isn't this thread technically against the "no self promotion" rules? I mean it pretty much is a giant advertisement for your shop. Not to mention your social media accounts.

orioto

Good Art™
Dammit, completely forgot to buy the FFVI one once payday hit. Any chance of it being available again?

I'll probably put them on the shop a one last time when the three parts are done. Cause it makes sense!

So uh, not that I don't love your art or anything, but isn't this thread technically against the "no self promotion" rules? I mean it pretty much is a giant advertisement for your shop. Not to mention your social media accounts.

Good point :p
But it's also 5 years old you know... It started as a community thread where gaf can interact and ask me for things. And it still is, even more with the frescoes.

gokieks

Ooooh, will definitely be getting that.

Any chance you can do one solely for Totoro? Of all the Miyazaki/Ghibli movies, I think that would be the most successful. Hell, I'd probably buy multiple myself just to give people as gifts (who doesn't love Totoro?!)

orioto

Good Art™
Ooooh, will definitely be getting that.

Any chance you can do one solely for Totoro? Of all the Miyazaki/Ghibli movies, I think that would be the most successful. Hell, I'd probably buy multiple myself just to give people as gifts (who doesn't love Totoro?!)

It's my fav miya movie, maybe someday hehe! But i think Mononoke is more popular actually!

gokieks

It's my fav miya movie, maybe someday hehe! But i think Mononoke is more popular actually!

I would guess Mononoke (or actually, Spirited Away) is the most popular Miyazaki movie among the general public because they got proper overseas releases. But for anime fans (i.e. the people who would buy merchandise), it's Totoro without a doubt.

I mean, compare the number of Totoro plushes/toys/music boxes/dioramas/etc. to that of any other Ghibli movie - it's not even close.

orioto

Good Art™
I would guess Mononoke (or actually, Spirited Away) is the most popular Miyazaki movie among the general public because they got proper overseas releases. But for anime fans (i.e. the people who would buy merchandise), it's Totoro without a doubt.

I mean, compare the number of Totoro plushes/toys/music boxes/dioramas/etc. to that of any other Ghibli movie - it's not even close.

Well Totoro is the perfect plushy :)

New002

Just wanted to come in and say that your work is stunning! I came across a wallpaper of yours a few years back and I was blown away by it. Imagine my surprise when I clicked this thread and there it was :)

I'll definitely have to pick something up in the future for my game room.

orioto

Good Art™
Just wanted to come in and say that your work is stunning! I came across a wallpaper of yours a few years back and I was blown away by it. Imagine my surprise when I clicked this thread and there it was :)

I'll definitely have to pick something up in the future for my game room.

Thx a lot :)

annnd a new page!

GAfTitre01.gif

Available till the 11th of October! here!

Poster here until the 2nd of November.
Be quick if you're interested cause you never know with Disney..

GAfTitre01.gif

No update tonight cause night of chamions + dexter + breaking bad.. Monday nights are tough.

Salamando

I'll probably put them on the shop a one last time when the three parts are done. Cause it makes sense!

Can't wait to see all three. Especially interested to see how you work the World of Balance/World of Ruin fragmentation. 1.5 parts for each, with the center of the second having some massive destruction? Could be epic.

orioto

Good Art™
Can't wait to see all three. Especially interested to see how you work the World of Balance/World of Ruin fragmentation. 1.5 parts for each, with the center of the second having some massive destruction? Could be epic.

I didn't think about that yet hmmm.. Is there a real split ? I don't remember lol...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You've never been irrelevant. Watcha talking about?!

orioto

Good Art™
Well kotaku.. is disappointing in term of consequences :p 4000 people came to the poster page, 0 bought it.

Doesn't smell good for any next Megaman love.

I should find a way to be sure, before i do the art, that people are interested in it. If i could kickstart each fresco lol...

Anyway that's always unmotivating, but i'm progressing slowly on the next one.

MiyaFrsc02.jpg

orioto, how does art on licensed characters impact an artist? I mean, do you have to do anything in particular for "fanart" to be something that can be sold?

orioto

Good Art™
orioto, how does art on licensed characters impact an artist? I mean, do you have to do anything in particular for "fanart" to be something that can be sold?

Technically you have to be in the parody domain. Meaning, the characters have to be designed with caricature in mind. Mine are pretty dumb for examples. But in the end it doesn't really count cause if somoene want to take your art out, you won't be able to justify yourself anyway, so... But tons of fanart are sold in expos and such, even on the web. It's tolerated as long as you don't print 500,000 poster at factory level lol. Limited sell is good for that.

Technically you have to be in the parody domain. Meaning, the characters have to be designed with caricature in mind. Mine are pretty dumb for examples. But in the end it doesn't really count cause if somoene want to take your art out, you won't be able to justify yourself anyway, so... But tons of fanart are sold in expos and such, even on the web. It's tolerated as long as you don't print 500,000 poster at factory level lol. Limited sell is good for that.

do you still have to put the original trademark for whatever characters you're using as information? Sorry to derail too.

orioto

Good Art™
do you still have to put the original trademark for whatever characters you're using as information? Sorry to derail too.

no trademark is bullshit i think. People putting trademark are making it worse cause they justly don't have the right to use that trademark ... It's like they would have an official authorization or something

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Orioto, I just got your SMB3 fresco in the mail. In the process of finding a frame for it now. It's really fantastic - your work is really something else... keep at it! The Mega Man fresco looks amazing, too - I'll have to pick it up someday...

Gobias

Banned
I had that Metroid cave one as a desktop a real long time. Real great stuff, man. Didn't know anyone on here made it. In fact, your Metroid ones always isnpired me to get back to writing for some reason.

I think I'll start using it again.

Top Bottom