• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nows the best time for Sony to bring Crash home?

I'm just in wonder at the firmness of OPs beliefs. He's very certain Crash could be successful.

From my point of view, as someone who grew up in the late 90s, Crash was the game we settled for when visiting friends who didn't have a Nintendo.

qko

If Naughty Dog announced they were putting full resources to a new Crash game we'd see the same meltdown reaction of Retro working on DK Tropical Freeze.

And much like Retro and DKR:TF, it would be one of the greatest games of its genre, it would still get negative reaction because people would want more Uncharted or the Last of Us.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Not enough folks in this thread are considering that if Sony did get Crash back, Naughty Dog almost certainly wouldn't be the developers for a new title in the series. They'd give it to someone else. Maybe even enlist a 3rd party.

Noidea why people are claiming Activision wouldn't work with Sony, Crash was a launch title for Xperia Play and was given away in selected countries with the phone... Game since then hasn't been released on other mobile.
They worked together only 4 years ago.

I think Sony could get a remaster, but I don't think a new title would be worth it, would need to be a quality AAA title.

SNURB

The original ND team lost interest in Crash Bandicoot a long time ago, and the current team has never shown any signs of wanting the franchise in their hands besides some irritating PR stunts. If they had to make a new Crash game now, they wouldn't be putting their heart into it. Naughty Dog isn't known for making half-assed games, but I'd still rather have a team that is passionate about the franchise.

Personally, I say that Sanzaru is the best candidate to revive the series. They did a damn fine job with Sly 4.

The original ND team lost interest in Crash Bandicoot a long time ago, and the current team has never shown any signs of wanting the franchise in their hands besides some irritating PR stunts. If they had to make a new Crash game now, they wouldn't be putting their heart into it. Naughty Dog isn't known for making half-assed games, but I'd still rather have a team that is passionate about the franchise.

Personally, I say that Sanzaru is the best candidate to revive the series. They did a damn fine job with Sly 4.

Please explain how you know what the minds of ND are thinking unless you visited the studio or something?

LakeEarth

While I believe that a new quality Crash game would be successful on nostalgia alone, I don't believe it could ever happen. Sony couldn't even get him for Playstation All-Stars, and he's the original Playstation All-Star.

schaft0620

We need more 3D platform games, Ratchet and Clank will be really great next year. I think it's bizarre that there hasn't been anything with Crash but, some times the best thing to do is to take years away and then make a big return. That is what would be best for Sonic, it seems to be working for Mega Man the thrust is pretty real there. I think it would backfire if Mega Man, Sonic, Crash and Mario all got games around the same time.

We need more 3D platform games, Ratchet and Clank will be really great next year. I think it's bizarre that there hasn't been anything with Crash but, some times the best thing to do is to take years away and then make a big return. That is what would be best for Sonic, it seems to be working for Mega Man the thrust is pretty real there. I think it would backfire if Mega Man, Sonic, Crash and Mario all got games around the same time.

This like this are really hard to gage, they can take off and sale well as the ps4 itself did, or they can have issues and do poorly and worse than anyone would have guessed (halo 5)

So, i still think it all depends on the execution of the product but crash is a good guy to have in that mix.

Nolan North or Troy Baker as the voice of Crash Bandicoot please.

In all seriousness, I would comment a lot more if the IP acquisition really happened, but until then, my question would be how much would Sony pay for what effectively is a dead franchise? MS supposedly paid less than 100 million for Gears. I would say that, today, Crash is worth 1/10 of Gears, at best. Would activision sell crash for less than 10 million? Even if Sony is willing to pay a premium of say, $20 million, would they sell? Not sure.

Also, thinking logistically, what would Sony's end game be if they were to buy the IP? Probably to reboot it, but rebooting it at full price or as a small PSN downloadable game? Would Sony pay such a high price ($20 mil) just to get the license and then another $30 million to try to reboot it? That's a risky proposition.

Who would make the game? ND are currently 306 strong and hiring another 12 FTE and 2 PTE right now. They were at ~200 when they went to the "2 person team". I think they are big enough to have 2-3 projects at different stages at any given time. However, they would need to have people still passionate about the franchise who want to revive it. It's the same question that ND currently has with Jak, how do they revive it and who will work on the product?

I think Crash could definitely be rebooted and sell well. Not Uncharted or TLOU numbers, but well enough. Expectations would just have to be set based on the current gaming market and the overall budget/marketing/reception for the product.

Give it to Platinum. Working relationships already established thanks to Transformers Devastation.

CTR reboot goes to Rushy and Evolution.

Come at me

Has platinum ever made a platformer?

SNURB

Please explain how you know what the minds of ND are thinking unless you visited the studio or something?

What's there to explain? Do you really expect ND to shift gears from something mature and gritty as TLOU to simplistic and cartoony as Crash or Jak? The Last of Us changed everything. Uncharted was a big change obviously but TLOU was a game changer for the studio's entirety. They'd created something touted as artistically worthy (personally I half agree) and they made a whole new name for themselves (the DLC is clearin that regard.)

ND are always growing but right now their core team isn't about stuff like Crash anymore.

Ahem. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-the-history-of-animation-at-naughty-dog.aspx

Lead animator Josh Scherr on subject of whether he missed working on Jak and Daxter and Crash Bandicoot:

“No, I don’t, because we’ve got an amazing team of people making some really expressive performances with our current stable of realistic characters. I mean, animating the stylised stuff is a lot of fun, but the stories that we’re trying to tell right now are a little bit more grounded and a little bit more grown up than they were back in the Jak and Daxter days.”

What's there to explain? Do you really expect ND to shift gears from something mature and gritty as TLOU to simplistic and cartoony as Crash or Jak? The Last of Us changed everything. Uncharted was a big change obviously but TLOU was a game changer for the studio's entirety. They'd created something touted as artistically worthy (personally I half agree) and they made a whole new name for themselves (the DLC is clearin that regard.)

ND are always growing but right now their core team isn't about stuff like Crash anymore.
Seems silly thinking to me, where was the reverse question from jak to uncharted. So why would you consider that question but your ignoring what they did do? To say that artist and designer can't create a l
ess realistic characters is a stretch, since most artists tend to get away from realism anyways.

I do work with artists and it's easy to find the mess realistic style for my projects.

K-BillyDJ

Neo Member
Twinsanity was the only non Naughty dog Crash worth playing. At some point I would imagine Activision would use Crash to start a new line of mobile games similar to how spyro was used to move skylanders. Candy Crash coming soon....

SNURB

Seems silly thinking to me, where was the reverse question from jak to uncharted. So why would you consider that question but your ignoring what they did do? To say that artist and designer can't season less realistic characters is a stretch, since most artists tend to get away from realism anyways.

I don't know how to respond to this, honestly.

I don't know how to respond to this, honestly.
That's fine.even. I just can't computer your idea over very well. I will give you credit that they are out of touch with it.but designing the character and world for crash artistically and level wise should take be that hard for a good team.

Remember guys, Jack the Nipper is totally right in that a studio should be able to do as they please and make the Crash Bandicoot game that he wants that neither the studio nor Sony would want to do based on digital nostalgia sales and his own desires.

jjonez18

I honestly don't see why they just didn't make an alternate Crash Universe. Different ip, but similar gameplay, setting, artstyle, you know the whole nine yards. PlayStation fans would go for it. I hate to say it, but I think this is more of a Sony/Naughty Dog problem. Maybe Sony don't see the need for it with Naughty Dog having moved on.

Shadoken

People in this thread actually think Crash is anywhere near as big as Mario or even Sonic?
You guys are confusing PS1's huge success with how big Mario and Sonic are.

Are we going to start seeing posts 10 years from now saying Knack is bigger than Mario because Knack on PS4 outsold some Mario game on Wii U.

Crash Bandicoot is like Sonic the Hedgehog except nobody buys the terrible games.

I dont even see the point of this comparison. Crash doesnt have any relevance right now and didnt have anywhere near as many chances as Sonic did.

Remember guys, Jack the Nipper is totally right in that a studio should be able to do as they please and make the Crash Bandicoot game that he wants that neither the studio nor Sony would want to do based on digital nostalgia sales and his own desires.
Not sure where I said they do as they please. Your really stretching things here. Can you explain where I said they can do as they please? That is a whole different idea that hasn't even been talked about.
And why are you saying they don't want. It isn't like I'm even saying they want to or not. It's really hard to have discussions with you if your making up things this way.
Do I think Sony would like to make a crash game? Maybe, I don know, never talked to the guys at Sony.

Do I think some nd staff would like to make a less realistic game? Probably and that's just my guess.

Not even sure what your trying to say. You know something to warrant your comments?

It's hard when your delusions about Crash make you ignore a lot of sense about Crash's viability.
Whatever you say man. I'm just a fan that would like to see it come back. Wishful thinking and what is has nothing to.do with ignoring what may or may not can be done. I didn't ignore nothing and I know it's not an easy thing to do. But its not the impossible like your implying your being worse than me just on the opposite of the flip bro.

So in your eyes, for Sony to even work out a deal to make the game while Activision retains the license is just so a far fetched idea. A world ending idea. Well, thats your opinion and that's your right.

kyser73

I'm sick of shooters and open world games. If developers keep making the same shit they will kill more developers and franchises. Tomb raider copying uncharted is yet another blemish to kill off the franchise. You guys should be begging for crash, Daytona or something different and a change imo

Mate all you want to do is bring back a load of old games.

Move on. The mid-00s have passed.

Plus ND have said they don't want to go back to Crash and its ilk.

SNURB

Twinsanity was the only non Naughty dog Crash worth playing. At some point I would imagine Activision would use Crash to start a new line of mobile games similar to how spyro was used to move skylanders. Candy Crash coming soon....

Eh, Twinsanity is decent to say the least but it's a mess (unpolished gameplay, glitches, extremely short) due to troubled development. I'm probably in the minority that thinks that the later games like Crash of the Titans are underrated gems and need more love.

CUB7Ye5U8AAikfQ.jpg

I think we found him! IT ALL MAKES SENSE

No reason to have Naughty Dog work on a new Crash when UC and TLoU sell so well. I suppose another dev could work on it, but would anyone really buy it? Maybe a simple game like the first 3 would be low budget enough to avoid too much risk.

Fairly sure people said worse about shenmue 3. People laughing and being a bit rude to fans of shenmue. I'm a big shenmue fan as well but I do worry the development of 3.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Crash was always a garbage character, designed to be "zany" and "edgy" ugh. He's a total product of the 90s. Crash is not timeless like Mario or Donkey Kong or even to a lesser extent Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sony already has a fantastic mascot character with Ratchet (& Clank).

Ratchet >>>>>>>>>> Crash

PKrockin

Maybe we can get Naughty Dog back on the series so they can turn him into an edgy, cussing criminal type so they can progress platformers into mature storytelling. Maybe have him escape from prison a hardened criminal and immediately push around elderly passerby.

Spyro too. All hail Spyro, heroes rise again! Obliterating everything that's not your friend!

The style and look wouldn't be bad for a new crash game, he would just look smoother and have a very cg texture look to him if ND or a good developer pushed the engine. HIghest IQ possible, Top end AF along with texture work that was cutting edge.

over stylize it, super bright beatiful colors and make it look 50 times better than this

crash-bandicoot-papu-papu-concept-art.jpg

islandcaves.jpg

i trust that if the visuals set a new bar for computer games visauls, people would take notice in large amounts.

I know this is "real" but this is the quality i would want to see it near

cb___aku_aku_prop_by_semashke-d6oac4z.jpg

Crash was always a garbage character, designed to be "zany" and "edgy" ugh. He's a total product of the 90s. Crash is not timeless like Mario or Donkey Kong or even to a lesser extent Sonic the Hedgehog.

Ratchet >>>>>>>>>> Crash

I also prefer ratchet over crash. I never understood the love.

I also prefer ratchet over crash. I never understood the love.

Ratchet was a PS2 game continued on by the developers of spyro while ND sort of made a worse game in the jak series imo

I do prefer Crash over ratchet but I felt ratchet was going downhill from itself a bit focusing on guns a little too much as the series went along.

Aurongel

ITT: nostalgia overpowering common business sense.

Platformers don't sell like they used to and the Crash brand isn't worth pursuing considering Sony's financial situation.

Move on folks.

ZarKryn7

Ratchet >>>>>>>>>> Crash
Edgy? Explain edgy?

Top Bottom