• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel warns Hizbollah over Iran

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's fine. do the Arabs who can trace their history to plot of land over 500 years ago have the same right to the land or should they rot in Gaza or whatever refugee camp they happen to be in? Israel says the eastern European and the Ethiopian with a distant thousand year old connection to the land is more entitled to the land than an Arab.

You keep saying that because jews have the right to become citizens of Israel it makes them evil. Countries get to decided who they let immigrate. Why does being born in Argentina make someone more entitled to Spain than a black african?

Your missing the point that there are still Arabs in Israel they never left they weren't forced out. It wasn't a "arabs out jews in." that your trying to make it.

And the declaration included these gems

will foster the development of the country for the benefit of all its inhabitants; it will be based on freedom, justice and peace as envisaged by the prophets of Israel; it will ensure complete equality of social and political rights to all its inhabitants irrespective of religion, race or sex; it will guarantee freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture; it will safeguard the Holy Places of all religions; and it will be faithful to the principles of the Charter of the United Nations.
to the Arab inhabitants of the State of Israel to preserve peace and participate in the upbuilding of the State on the basis of full and equal citizenship and due representation in all its provisional and permanent institutions.

I'm not unaware of this, and it is their right to feel that way if they so choose even if I don't agree with them. However, if guys like me see it differently, I don't think anyone (especially a non-Jew) has the right to tell me I'm wrong or tell us how we should feel (general statement, not directed specifically at you). In my eyes, it's equivalent to a white guy telling a black person to "get over it" when talking about slavery or discrimination they face in the present.

Jews not caring about Israel is not necesarily a statement that they don't care about their own history, it can be because they're disgusted with Israel's policies or they don't see the need for a separate homeland in this day and age. Opinions are diverse and people can reach different conclusions with the same information.

Well, you know, it's an open debate. I don't think anyone should have immunity from criticism. You can be upset, but then again, if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

I'd be careful about applying persecution parallels like that. It depends on a lot of things. And there's a well-known, acrimonuous relationship between African Americans and American Jews.

Jews not caring about Israel is not necesarily a statement that they don't care about their own history, it can be because they're disgusted with Israel's policies or they don't see the need for a separate homeland in this day and age. Opinions are diverse and people can reach different conclusions with the same information.

Well, you know, it's an open debate. I don't think anyone should have immunity from criticism. You can be upset, but then again, if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

I'd be careful about applying persecution parallels like that. It depends on a lot of things. And there's a well-known, acrimonuous relationship between African Americans and American Jews.

There are very few jews that don't see a need for Israel. I'd like to know who you're talking about. Not defending are critizing israel isn't saying Israel doesn't need to exist.

You keep saying that because jews have the right to become citizens of Israel it makes them evil. Countries get to decided who they let immigrate. Why does being born in Argentina make someone more entitled to Spain than a black african?

And the declaration included these gems

I didnt say anyone was evil, I`m pointing out a fact. One that you are trying to obfuscate. Israel believes in rights for one demographic, but denies the rights of people it views as undesirable or a `demographic threat`. We arent talking about a simple matter of immigration, we`re talking about people with legitimate title to land and houses inside Israel not being allowed in, because they are Arabs.

Your missing the point that there are still Arabs in Israel they never left they weren't forced out. It wasn't a "arabs out jews in." that your trying to make it.
but isnt it?
'Livni proposed moving several Israeli Arab towns to Palestinian side of border'

RawPower

Banned

Well, there are some criticisms that are just way out of line.

Both groups have gone through some pretty ghastly shit over the years, so the comparison seems apt. Assuredly, there are quarrels over who has had it worse, but that seems pointless from my end. Further, I have no idea what acrimonious relationship you're talking about, and that's kind of a sweeping statement overall. Either way, what Jewish people and black people think of each other is not particularly relevant here at all.

I didnt say anyone was evil, I`m pointing out a fact. One that you are trying to obfuscate. Israel believes in rights for one demographic, but denies the rights of people it views as undesirable or a `demographic threat`. We arent talking about a simple matter of immigration, we`re talking about people with legitimate title to land and houses inside Israel not being allowed in, because they are Arabs.

but isnt it?
'Livni proposed moving several Israeli Arab towns to Palestinian side of border'
Is nazareth going anywhere?

Proposing territorial exchanges aren't the same as what you are trying to make it sound like. And abbas talked about making some settlements israeli does that mean the Arabs are denying citizenship based on religion? I mean its not like they said this http://www.usatoday.com/NEWS/usaedition/2011-09-14-Palestinians_ST_U.htm

And to your first point it also had to be determined if they left or were forced out. It also wouldn't transfer to their kids, and does the same right apply to jews that were kicked of their land? They held their titles to land to a country that doesn't exist anymore. I think Israel could grant them that right but it is not inherent and fundamental.

RawPower

Banned
Perhaps if I was better at articulating my thoughts, I wouldn't have to keep editing my posts. I feel like a lot of my points are getting lost in the shuffle because people are replying to my posts before I have a chance to expound on my thoughts.

magash

Perhaps if I was better at articulating my thoughts, I wouldn't have to keep editing my posts. I feel like a lot of my points are getting lost in the shuffle because people are replying to my posts before I have a chance to expound on my thoughts.

Okay. What are your thoughts?

I have no idea what acrimonious relationship you're talking about, not to mention how sweeping a statement that really is. Either way, what Jewish people and black people think of each other is not particularly relevant here at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American–Jewish_relations

Gee, Rawpower, I'm not even American and I know about this. How come you don't?

I think some would take issue because you equated your experience/history with theirs. It's a bit of an ironic retort on my part considering you played the Catholic card a bit. :)

There are very few jews that don't see a need for Israel. I'd like to know who you're talking about. Not defending are critizing israel isn't saying Israel doesn't need to exist.

If they don't care about Israel, including when it's fighting for its "survival", then they don't think there's a need for it. Silence is consent.

If you're interested, read this essay from people who want to stop this apathy and anti-Israel activism among young Jews:

http://jppi.org.il/uploads/Factors_in_delegitimation_of_Israel_and_younger_Jews.pdf

If they don't care about Israel, including when it's fighting for its "survival", then they don't think there's a need for it. Silence is consent.

If you're interested, read this essay from people who want to stop this apathy and anti-Israel activism among young Jews:

http://jppi.org.il/uploads/Factors_in_delegitimation_of_Israel_and_younger_Jews.pdf

I really don't think not advocating for Israel is the same as not thinking it should exist. Or that it doesn't have the right to exist.

RawPower

Banned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American–Jewish_relations

Gee, Rawpower, I'm not even American and I know about this. How come you don't?

Because I've never experienced any hostility from my black buddies (who are quite passionate about the black predicament in America) even though I make it known that I am proudly Jewish and that some of my opinions can be considered to be pro-Zionist. My attitude on this subject in real life is no different than it is on here. I'll take a look at that link.

I think some would take issue because you equated your experience/history with theirs. It's a bit of an ironic retort on my part considering you played the Catholic card a bit. :)

Comparing Jewish persecution to black persecution is much more reasonable than any comparison between Jews and Christians. The latter is completely absurd, and I don't think anyone can argue that.

Edit: In fact, the link you posted just now seems to agree with me on this.

I really don't think not advocating for Israel is the same as not thinking it should exist. Or that it doesn't have the right to exist.

No way you read that fast.

The problem is you believe there are only Jewish supporters of Israel and those more mellow about it.

You do concede there are anti-Israel activists among Jews, right? And not just one in a million, right?

Comparing Jewish persecution to black persecution is much more reasonable than any comparison between Jews and Christians. The latter is completely absurd, and I don't think anyone can argue that.

Yes, I'd concede that first point, but just to be sure we understand each other, my whole argument wih the Catholic angle was a personal example to mark the difference between individuals and organizations. I don't support the Vatican (and even though I can relate to the struggle in Northern Ireland, I don't support the IRA either). It was not about persecution since I was bringing that up first as a reply to someone else in this thread (who didn't bring up persecution either).

RawPower

Banned

The problem is you believe there are only Jewish supporters of Israel and those more mellow about it.

You do concede there are anti-Israel activists among Jews, right? And not just one in a million, right?

It's pretty well known that many of the more Orthodox Jews believe that we shouldn't be settling in Israel again until Yahweh gives us the ok. Yet we both know that this will never happen, and so did the Zionists apparently.

Yes, I'd concede that first point, but just to be sure we understand each other, my whole argument wih the Catholic angle was a personal example to mark the difference between individuals and organizations. I don't support the Vatican (and even though I can relate to the struggle in Northern Ireland, I don't support the IRA either). It was not about persecution since I was bringing that up first as a reply to someone else in this thread (who didn't bring up persecution either).

Fair enough. Being half Irish, I suppose I could also relate to the Northern Ireland struggle. That's a debate for another thread though.

The article you quoted never states that there much antiisraeli activity from jews (besides radicals like chomsky).

Kad5

To be fair, Chomsky is anarchist and doesn't believe in the existence of ANY state whatsoever.

Yes but he does believe in communities having self-determination i'm pretty sure. In that sort of system there could easily be jewish communities that could exist.

low-G

Only a decade? In that scenario it'd probably take a few centuries to 'rebuild' Israel.

P.S. Israel would not be rebuilt.

P.P.S. I mean World War 3

pgtl_10

I was thinking of starting a thread about the genetic relationship between Palestinians and Israelis but I didn't really know where to go with it. It's kind of interesting but I don't know how relevant to anything it is. Seems to be the case that the Palestinians are a mix of ethnic Jews who converted to Christianity/Islam with neighboring populations of Arabs. The people we call Jews today are the ones who fled to Europe and mingled with their respective native European populations.

There is undeniably a cultural divide, but the two probably share more than most people realize.

I would argue there is some culture connection too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom