• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 PC "optimized" for 30fps. User can uncap at own glitchy risk. Cacpcom.

Thrakier

I've been a PC gamer my entire life, 30 FPS is perfectly fine for 90% of games(ie, not Fighters/DMC esqe titles)

60 FPS is always preferable but it's very easy to go between 30 and 60.

All of this will be irreverent of course when the game comes out and works fine at 60 FPS.

Opinions, how do they work? It's hard as fuck to change, not something I can do at all, and every game is MUCH better at 60FPS, no matter the genre.

Opinions, how do they work? It's hard as fuck to change, not something I can do at all, and every game is MUCH better at 60FPS, no matter the genre.

Most games being playable at a steady 30 FPS isn't really an opinion.

And I said that it was always preferable.

Lanrutcon

'I really dont believe you're losing anything by playing at 30 frames per second'

I really don't believe you're losing anything when I buy your game for $9 at a Steam sale.

Dr Dogg

Why did they bother then with DmC getting 60fps when consoles were 30fps? Whos exactly porting Dead Rising 3?

Well if you think about it DmC came out on PS360 and PC at the same time, was running in Unreal Engine 3, was ported by QLOC who just handle PC ports for Capcom. Where as Dead Rising 3 is I'm assuming running on a proprietary engine from Capcom Vancover, was when development began a Xbox One exclusive with no forward thinking to future platforms and the port it also sounds is being handled by the same guys.

Now regards to how much they have backed themselves in to a corner, what the budget is for this or even how long/much it would cost to amend is beyond most of our scope bar wild speculation. Though pricing might be a big factor here and I did happen to notice a 'Downloadable Content' option in the menu so if it's a $60 game with shit loads of day one DLC and this comes with tradeoffs my purchasing discussion will have been made easier.

again, with this debate, people seem to be missing the actual point of hard-capping the frame-rate on a PC port. it's not about 30 vs 60, it's about having the choice to do either of these things and customize how the game runs to your liking. its a fundamental misunderstanding of the PC enthusiast audience to say something like "we don't think you'll lose anything by playing at 30". hey great, but you're also not really ensuring that my choice of playing the game at higher frame-rates will be just as enjoyable, and choice after all, was the reason I even spent $1000+ on a gaming PC in the first place.

again, with this debate, people seem to be missing the actual point of hard-capping the frame-rate on a PC port. it's not about 30 vs 60, it's about having the choice to do either of these things and customize how the game runs to your liking. its a fundamental misunderstanding of the PC enthusiast audience to say something like "we don't think you'll lose anything by playing at 30". hey great, but you're also not really ensuring that my choice of playing the game at higher frame-rates will be just as enjoyable, and choice after all, was the reason I even spent $1000+ on a gaming PC in the first place.

The OP states that the game can be uncapped and the video posted makes no mention of the animations being locked.

You can use your 1000+ pc to play the game at 4K if nothing else :p

Riposte

You can play at uncapped frame rates, it just sounds like the game wasn't built to handle it.

People get too emotional about frame rates. 60 is always better, but like, 30 is okay. You won't die. Sometimes with hardware or software there are issues that prevent an easy 60. It sucks, but it sort of outside my realm to judge the craziness developers go through.

EDIT: I find it unfortunate it when things are more about ideals than playing games you like.

The OP states that the game can be uncapped and the video posted makes no mention of the animations being locked.

You can play at uncapped frame rates, it just sounds like the game wasn't built to handle it.

People get too emotional about frame rates. 60 is always better, but like, 30 is okay. You won't die. Sometimes with hardware or software there are issues that prevent an easy 60. It sucks, but it sort of outside my realm to judge the craziness developers go through.

it's still a dismissal of having the game on PC work at different graphic settings/configurations which is half the point of even playing a game on PC to begin with. it's just silly.

It also states that they haven't tested it to see if the fucking thing actually works properly above 30FPS.

it's still a dismissal of having the game on PC work at different graphic settings/configurations which is half the point of even playing a game on PC to begin with. it's just silly.

You can uncap the framerate so it's still an option. Not to mention being able to change the resolution, force AA through Nvidia inspector, and so on. I imagine it'll have graphics options as well.

It also states that they haven't tested it to see if the fucking thing actually works properly above 30FPS.
If it was broken it would be a hard cap. Flat out.

Lanrutcon

No. 30 is not okay for some people, that's the whole point. I find 30 to be heavily distracting and highly unpleasant. 'Okay' is a framerate that doesn't actively fuck with my enjoyment of the product.

Riposte

No. 30 is not okay for some people, that's the whole point. I find 30 to be heavily distracting and highly unpleasant. 'Okay' is a framerate that doesn't actively fuck with my enjoyment of the product.

Are you saying you would be physically unable to play the Xbone version? Or any 30 frame rate game for that matter? I just have a hard time sympathizing. This has to be either hyperbole or a disability I wasn't aware existed.

From the FAQ on steam:
Q. What graphics options will be included in this release?
A. The game will include popular options such as V-sync, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, DOF, texture quality, shadow quality, model quality, and more.

Why include v-sync if there was a hard cap?

Wag

That probably means I can give up hope for Ultrawidescreen (21:9 AR) support.

Damn you Capcom.

You can uncap the framerate so it's still an option. Not to mention being able to change the resolution, force AA through Nvidia inspector, and so on. I imagine it'll have graphics options as well.
i'm only going to repeat this one more time because people seem to be focusing solely on "correcting" me on a fact that i'm not confused about.

the issue to me is that the developer, Capcom, doesn't seem to place a high priority on having the game work as intended at frame-rates beyond 30. it's an admission on their part that they are unwilling or unable to get the game optimized for anything past running at 30 fps. to me, this is a silly way to view porting your game to a platform that allows for quite literally, almost infinite combinations of hardware and settings. the issue is not that i don't think i'll be able to turn all the bells and whistles on, more that the developer doesn't feel it's important to address those concerns from the wider PC gaming audience.

Lanrutcon

Are you saying you would be physically unable to play the Xbone version? Or any 30 frame rate game for that matter? I just have a hard time sympathizing. This has to be either hyperbole or a disability I wasn't aware existed.

Yes, I am physically unable to play the Xbone version, because I don't own an Xbone. If I don't play games at 30 fps, I don't see why I'd pay for a machine that can barely manage that. That would be kind of stupid.

But you're right: if someone paid me there is no physical disability preventing me from playing an inferior version of a game.

Dr Dogg

From the FAQ on steam:

Why include v-sync if there was a hard cap?

Frame capping doesn't stop tearing silly billy (though a high refresh monitor does pretty much make it harder to spot)

That probably means I can give up hope for Ultrawidescreen (21:9 AR) support.

Damn you Capcom.

Well Dead Rising 2 and Off The Record work flawlessly at 21:9 resolutions despite no official support so fingers crossed. Could be even better in this with how open everything is.

Grief.exe

• You know your contract with Microsoft stipulates a timed exclusive.
  • The developers still lock the animations and physics calculations to frame rate.

Is this real life?

EDIT: I find it unfortunate it when things are more about ideals than playing games you like.

Sure, I won't die, but I probably won't buy the game either.

i'm only going to repeat this one more time because people seem to be focusing solely on "correcting" me on a fact that i'm not confused about.

the issue to me is that the developer, Capcom, doesn't seem to place a high priority on having the game work as intended at frame-rates beyond 30. it's an admission on their part that they are unwilling or unable to get the game optimized for anything past running at 30 fps. to me, this is a silly way to view porting your game to a platform that allows for quite literally, almost infinite combinations of hardware and settings. the issue is not that i don't think i'll be able to turn all the bells and whistles on, more that the developer doesn't feel it's important to address those concerns from the wider PC gaming audience.

People wouldn't have to correct you if you actually wrote what you meant.

Frame capping doesn't stop tearing silly billy (though a high refresh monitor does pretty much make it harder to spot)
Suppose you're right, L.A. Noire has a vsync option :p Was thinking of Watch Dog's 2 frame vsync which locked it to 30 FPS, not the same thing.

Human_me

While I'm really glad its coming to PC, I am disappointed on the 30fps Lock.

Sure you can uncap it, but I don't want my game messing up constantly.
I suppose if its really bad I'll leave the cap on.

Surely there must be a way to cap the physics at 30fps yet render the image at 60fps?

Surely there must be a way to cap the physics at 30fps yet render the image at 60fps?

The physics in this case would be how everything moves and reacts with the world so one imagines that would make it run really fast? Still, no where in the video does it say that these things are actually capped so people should stop assuming this.

Adry9

i1DCIb8RQOrv9.png

Hahahahahahaha... I love neogaf.

Grief.exe

It might not even be that bad, Capcom just can't account for some of the issues that come up.

If you unlock the frame rate in Dark Souls, for example, you cannot slide down ladders without falling through the game world and the jump distance becomes incorrect.

Dr Dogg

Suppose you're right, L.A. Noire has a vsync option :p Was thinking of Watch Dog's 2 frame vsync which locked it to 30 FPS, not the same thing.

Metro 2033 doesn't have VSYNC in the options so you have to force it via drivers or injectors but due to both how demanding and the way the engine performed it used to tear really badly for me even at low frame rates and at no point could I get more than 25fps using the DX11 renderer.

Watch_Dogs and more so Far Cry 3 have a really clunky way of implementing VSYNC. If you go into it thinking frames means refresh rate (1 frame full 2 half) and buffered frames as it sounds (though going more than 2 is going to have some serious latency implications) it make sense. Though I bet a lot if people whacked them as high as they could :/

Saying that SLI is knackered in Watch_Dogs' engine that I could get 90fps one second but be battered down to 40 the next whilst stuttering all the way I settled for a 30fps lock (well at 3200x1800 and Ultra textures to make up for it :p).

TheD

The Detective
The physics in this case would be how everything moves and reacts with the world so one imagines that would make it run really fast? Still, no where in the video does it say that these things are actually capped so people should stop assuming this.

You do not seem to understand what he said.

They do have a framerate cap as per
we're not gonna stop you from uncapping the framerate
and they said that if you disable it things could go up shit creek.

You do not seem to understand what he said.

They do have a framerate cap as per

Seems to imply that it's an option, hard capping the framerate would be actively stopping you from doing so.

Metro 2033 doesn't have VSYNC in the options so you have to force it via drivers or injectors but due to both how demanding and the way the engine performed it used to tear really badly for me even at low frame rates and at no point could I get more than 25fps using the DX11 renderer.

Watch_Dogs and more so Far Cry 3 have a really clunky way of implementing VSYNC. If you go into it thinking frames means refresh rate (1 frame full 2 half) and buffered frames as it sounds (though going more than 2 is going to have some serious latency implications) it make sense. Though I bet a lot if people whacked them as high as they could :/

The 2 frame lock(not the gpu buffer setting) is just an easy way to cap the game at 30 FPS no? Nvidia inspector has the same thing.

Thrakier

Most games being playable at a steady 30 FPS isn't really an opinion.

And I said that it was always preferable.

15fps games are also playable. Playable is like the minimum standard. The question should be: how much fun is it? How immersive? How responsive? How connected do you feel to the game? 60FPS always wins that.

Playable or not...that's not a discussion we should even think about. Bad enough that it's there and for a reason.

Uncapping the framerate and 'fast forwarding' the game can be a good way to get through the driving between districts crap that plagues the second half of the game.

So? Human_me did not say that you could not uncap it.

So your point is that nobody actually knows how it works because they didn't actually anything specific? At the very least there is no suggestion in the video what so ever that animations are locked to 30 FPS.

And it requires 6 GB of RAM minimum.

Pass.

Why don't you have at least 8GBs? More and more games are going to require it. You probably wouldn't be able to run it at 60 FPS anyway.

15fps games are also playable. Playable is like the minimum standard. The question should be: how much fun is it? How immersive? How responsive? How connected do you feel to the game? 60FPS always wins that.

Playable or not...that's not a discussion we should even think about. Bad enough that it's there and for a reason.

Not really, 30/60 work for TV/monitor refresh rates. Anything else feels choppy
gsync save us

Riposte

Sure, I won't die, but I probably won't buy the game either.

As someone who really loves 60 FPS, I can understand not wanting to bother with a lame port. Personally for me its a matter of games coming first before strict ideals. A great game at 30 FPS is better than nothing. I'm probably going to play this on PC before I get a Xbone and there's no reason to think the PC version will be in any way inferior (aside from exclusive DLC), so I'm not really dreading it too much. If there's anything I'd like to address, it is just I find the tone of some statements to be leaning towards fanaticism and it's a little too much to take in even as someone who is very pro-60 FPS.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yes, unless the game is extremely budget priced they should have the game up to minimum standards.
'Minimum standards' is a very subjective term.

I just don't understand why people cant wait and see before throwing them under the bus. Doesn't seem like a lot to ask, yet it seems quite popular to just assume the worst anyways.

Top Bottom