• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Cornballer said:
I don't know very much about it. It has James Badge Dale and Miranda Richardson. It's labeled as a "conspiracy thriller" and it's set in New York. Other than that, they're playing this one close to the vest. I'm looking for more info on the interwebs, and I'll put whatever I find into a new thread.
Ohh ok, its AMC though so some quality is expected.

finowns

Watched the two seasons of Life on hulu. I really liked it. Sad it only got 2 seasons seemed like a lot of story didn't get told.

I am half way through watching Spartacus: Blood and Sand, and to be honest this is really turning into one of the most enjoyable shows I have ever seen. Hell, it might be my favorite show ever depending on what happens in the rest of the season.

I was kind of turned off by some of the dialogue in the first several or so episodes (ie:lets see how many swear words we can fit into every sentence), but they seem to have toned it down so its not gratuitous, and the quality of the writing is much better overall. The frequent sex scenes are fine by me though.

Also because I am avoiding pretty much everything to do with the show due to spoilers, could someone tell me if and when there will be a season 2?

hamchan

GrumpyAlien said:
I am half way through watching Spartacus: Blood and Sand, and to be honest this is really turning into one of the most enjoyable shows I have ever seen. Hell, it might be my favorite show ever depending on what happens in the rest of the season.

I was kind of turned off by some of the dialogue in the first several or so episodes (ie:lets see how many swear words we can fit into every sentence), but they seem to have toned it down so its not gratuitous, and the quality of the writing is much better overall. The frequent sex scenes are fine by me though.

Also because I am avoiding pretty much everything to do with the show due to spoilers, could someone tell me if and when there will be a season 2?

Wow really? I thought this show got a bad reception. Maybe I'll start watching it after I finish everything else.

ruffles

So I'm up to season 7 of the X-Files and man, this season has quite a few stinkers. The quality of the show went to shit compared to seasons 1-5. I just finished the one Gillian Anderson wrote and directed and it bored me to tears. :/

Ashhong

hamchan said:
Wow really? I thought this show got a bad reception. Maybe I'll start watching it after I finish everything else.

on the contrary, as you will hear from EVERYONE that watches the show, it becomes one of the best shows after about 2-3 episodes into it. i dont know of anyone on gaf that doesnt like this show (that has seen the entire season). its great.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
GrumpyAlien said:

Yes, the main character Spartacus was diagnosed with cancer after season 1 was finished filming, he'g got better now and they will begin filming season 2 once he's all ripped n shit. In the meantime they are making a mini series about the Ludus.

Amazingly good show.

Decado

Ashhong said:
on the contrary, as you will hear from EVERYONE that watches the show, it becomes one of the best shows after about 2-3 episodes into it. i dont know of anyone on gaf that doesnt like this show (that has seen the entire season). its great.
I second this. Easily the best new show of the season, followed by Justified.

Just watched the Supernatural Season 3 finale..
"And if this is my last day on earth, I do NOT want it to be socially awkward!" :lol
OH SNAPZ at the ending though, can't wait for my season 4 DVDs to arrive.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Ashhong said:

It could get 100x better and still be dogshit as terrible as the first two episodes were. There was not one ounce of potential there.

jakncoke

Banned
Nurse Jackie s1/2. Season 1 was pretty solid throughout. Season 2 started off with a bang for me but tailed off till the final portion of the last eps when
Jackie drug addiction was uncovered by the hubby. So i assume s3 will have a lot to do with her addiction
. Any who gotta say Zooey is my fav character of the show

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Brian Fellows said:
It could get 100x better and still be dogshit as terrible as the first two episodes were. There was not one ounce of potential there.

Fucking cock.

Show is great, it and Breaking Bad are probably the best shows so far this year.

I'm surprised to hear all the love for Spartacus given how mediocre the pilot was for me. I watched it the other night for the first time. Guess I'll keep on going and see how the season progresses.

TheOddOne

'The Cleveland Show' earns a third season pickup from Fox
FoxFox announced today that is has ordered a third season of The Cleveland Show, this season’s highest-rated half-hour series among adults 18-34 and teens. The animated show that airs Sundays on Fox features voiceovers from Mike Henry, Sanaa Lathan, Reagan Gomez, Kevin Michael Richardson, Jason Sudeikis and Seth MacFarlane, as well as Arianna Huffington in a recurring role.

For the upcoming season, the show will feature guest voice appearances from Justin Timberlake, Kanye West, Snoop Dogg, Tony Hawk, and cast members from Glee. Cleveland is from 20th Century Fox TV. MacFarlane, Rich Appel and Henry are executive producers and co-creators of the series.
WHAT :lol :lol :lol

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
ruffles said:
So I'm up to season 7 of the X-Files and man, this season has quite a few stinkers. The quality of the show went to shit compared to seasons 1-5. I just finished the one Gillian Anderson wrote and directed and it bored me to tears. :/

Season 7 was pretty bad. It's obvious David Duchovny was bored with the role by that point, the writing was weak, and it's by far the worst season mythology-wise. There are good episodes to be found, but they're adrift in a sea of crap.

Decado

Cornballer said:
I'm surprised to hear all the love for Spartacus given how mediocre the pilot was for me. I watched it the other night for the first time. Guess I'll keep on going and see how the season progresses.
That's the thing...the first few episodes weren't good at all. It quickly becomes quite awesome, though. It's a real shame and I wonder how much impact on ratings and sales the first few bad episodes had/will have.

Decado said:
That's the thing...the first few episodes weren't good at all. It quickly becomes quite awesome, though. It's a real shame and I wonder how much impact on ratings and sales the first few bad episodes had/will have.
Well, the ratings steadily increased over most of S1, so I'm sure Starz aren't too worried about it.

Spire said:
Season 7 was pretty bad. It's obvious David Duchovny was bored with the role by that point, the writing was weak, and it's by far the worst season mythology-wise. There are good episodes to be found, but they're adrift in a sea of crap.
I loved
the episode in which Mulder finds out what happened with his sister
. Brings me to tears.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Just got caught up in White Collar. Good shit.
Yeah, Bryce Larkin does a good job :) Have to give credit to Tim DeKay too, at the beginning of the show I just thought he would be a boring-ass "by the book" cop but his character is actually pretty cool.

Something that came to my mind when watching Supernatural: I don't think I'm a huge fan of dramatic/dark TV shows. I don't really get why either, I love dramatic movies and depressing music and they never really put me in a bad mood but watching a really sad/dramatic episode of a TV show can ruin my day. :/ I guess you get invested in the characters because catching up on a show takes weeks or months.

Dax01 said:
I loved
the episode in which Mulder finds out what happened with his sister
. Brings me to tears.
Great episode, made me just remember the music during the
scene with Mulder watching the ghost kids
which was what helped make the scene so good.

I watched Smallville for the first time (all the seasons) and I love it. Some ups and downs but overall I love it. Hate what the did to Lana-Clark relationship and the way the writters destroyed Lana (too much drama full of stupid twists), in the other hand I love the Luthor family.

bud

i finished watching season 3 of the sopranos just now. i had seen season 1 last year and quit because i was too busy with school etc, but after reading that the breaking bad episode ''fly'' bears a resemblance to ''pine barrens,'' i got back into it again. i went through seasons 2 and 3 in a week and a half, i think. i'm hooked. oh my god is all i have to say. it is consistently fuckin' excellent. fuck, there are not enough superlatives in the world to describe just how much i love this. i have a huge smile on my face just thinking about it.

also, this show makes me hungry.

Blader

I just started The Sopranos recently too. About halfway through S1 now, and I'm liking it a lot. Don't know why it took me this long to get into it.

Also halfway through S2 of Supernatural. This show is good.

close to the edge said:
Yeah, Bryce Larkin does a good job :) Have to give credit to Tim DeKay too, at the beginning of the show I just thought he would be a boring-ass "by the book" cop but his character is actually pretty cool.

Something that came to my mind when watching Supernatural: I don't think I'm a huge fan of dramatic/dark TV shows. I don't really get why either, I love dramatic movies and depressing music and they never really put me in a bad mood but watching a really sad/dramatic episode of a TV show can ruin my day. :/ I guess you get invested in the characters because catching up on a show takes weeks or months.
Good pseudo-father/son relationship. Also, good set up of maintaining the main villain for next season.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I can't believe you guys are just now watching The Sopranos. I personally consider it to be the greatest television show of all time.
Better late than never, though.

bud said:
also, this show makes me hungry.

For sure, I could go for some buffalo moozadell right now.

Iceman

I have to watch the Shield (only watched the first couple of seasons), The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood, and Rome.

What should my order be?

So i've been watching Spartacus over the last week. I hated the first episode when i watched it a couple months back, but gave it another shot based on recommendations in this thread. This show is AWESOME. By episode 4 i was hooked. The over the top gore, the rampant sex and nudity, the ridiculous swearing
"By Jupiter's cock!"
... it all works. I haven't had this much fun watching a show in ages. Underneath that trashy exterior is some genuinely good writing and a few of the characters are gold.

John Hannah/Batiatus, in particular, is amazing.

Acid08

Banned
I have been watching 30 Rock on Netflix streaming and I really really like it. Halfway through season 3 now. I have no idea why I never watched this show in the first place, it's exactly the show I've been feeling like watching.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Dirtyshubb said:
Great episode, made me just remember the music during the
scene with Mulder watching the ghost kids
which was what helped make the scene so good.

That episode is weird for me, from a story standpoint I hate the way they concluded Mulder's sisters storyline, but it is executed beautifully. It's a beautiful, moving episode giving us an infuriatingly unsatisfying end to a major arc.

JesseZao

Third of the way through season 2 of X-Files. So far it's been great. Season one seemed to alternate good and bad episodes earlier on, but so far season 2 has more good than bad.

ruffles

Spire said:
That episode is weird for me, from a story standpoint I hate the way they concluded Mulder's sisters storyline, but it is executed beautifully. It's a beautiful, moving episode giving us an infuriatingly unsatisfying end to a major arc.

What did you find unsatisfying? I think the arc came to a good conclusion, although, there were some inconsistencies from what other characters have told Mulder what really happened to his sister.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
ruffles said:
What did you find unsatisfying? I think the arc came to a good conclusion, although, there were some inconsistencies from what other characters have told Mulder what really happened to his sister.

Having her being dead was frustrating enough, but adding on the nonsense about her escaping a top secret government testing facility only to prance into a magic pixie dreamland for abused children just took it over the edge. The X-Files always deals in absurdities, but they're usually given more support than just "hurt children turn into starlight." which is stretching things even by X-Files logic. And beyond the actual details of it all, Samantha Mulder's fate was an arc introduced in the very first episode, it was the key motivation behind Mulder and one of the shows main mysteries. To guess and puzzle over the clues and hints they gave us for seven years only to be given an answer that has never been hinted at before is extremely annoying. People enjoy mysteries because they given you pieces of the whole puzzle and it's fun to try to figure out the bigger picture. When you get to the end and you find out all the pieces you've been given are worthless and the answer is something from left field, you're pretty pissed.

I have seen a few episodes of Party Down on Netflix streaming these last couple of days. Pretty damn funny and it has just the kind of humor I like the best. Should keep me happy until Curb comes back.

I am also going to start watching Dr Who again. I got almost to the end of season 3 and haven't watched any season 4 yet. I wasn't that impressed most of time tbh. So, should I just skip to season 5? Is it a lot better than what I have seen up to now? I keep seeing the amazingly cute chick from the new season on peoples avatars and I figure I might as well check it out.

gdt5016 said:
Just skip ahead to the new season.

It's actually a good show now.

The new Doctor/companion/showrunner=win.

Thank you. About to watch episode 1 in a bit. I didn't even realize it was a rebooting of the series until a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom