• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Super Mario Maker full price?

I'm sure that, for a lot of gamers, the game just isn't worth the price of admission. Not everyone is into Mario or making levels after all.

Personally, though, I already got more enjoyment out of Mario Maker (months worth of hilariously entertaining gameplay videos) than full priced "AAA" games like Infamous: Second Son. And I don't even own the former yet!

I certainly wouldn't pay full price for it but anyone who is into 2D Mario will get a ton of value out of it. I do want to buy it eventually but since Nintendo games never drop in price, I probably won't.

entremet

I'm sure that, for a lot of gamers, the game just isn't worth the price of admission. Not everyone is into Mario or making levels after all.

Personally, though, I already got more enjoyment out of Mario Maker (months worth of hilariously entertaining gameplay videos) than full priced "AAA" games like Infamous: Second Son. And I don't even own the former yet!
If you're not into Mario why would someone buy the game?

It seems weird to stand " not into Mario" more like "not into 2D platformers" cause is there anyone that really dislikes Mario and wont play any game involving him? That would be weird.

I think Mario Maker might be Nintendos minecraft and will help to broaden the community for the upcoming NX release. Its might be the perfect time for that game.

I'm not sure I understand this question. Unless we interpret "not being into something" differently. I've always taken it to mean "to have very little or no interest in something."

Ex. I can't honestly say I'm into Sonic as a game or franchise, and yet I've purchased a couple of Sonic games on sale very cheaply ($2 or $3). I had some fun while they lasted, but not enough to become a fan or pay full price for them.

entremet

I'm not sure I understand this question. Unless we interpret "not being into something" differently. I've always taken it to mean "to have very little or no interest in something."

Ex. I can't honestly say I'm into Sonic as a game or franchise, and yet I've purchased a couple of Sonic games on sale very cheaply ($2 or $3). I had some fun while they lasted, but not enough to become a fan or pay full price for them.
Gotcha

jeemer

To me it's ridiculous that nintendo still charge what they do for a title like NSMBU, nevermind a level editor.

I own a wii u and I personally wouldn't even buy mario maker for £5. Level editors have never interested me in the slightest, and I will be voting with my pocket.

Tybolt

Banned
Infinite Mario levels is all I ever wanted in life. I would pay $100 USD for it. Considering I still play SMB, SMB3, and SMW every so often for the past 20+ years, I will probably play this game on and off for the rest of my life

He doesn't know about inevitable server shutdowns!
laughinggirls.png, etc.

To me it's ridiculous that nintendo still charge what they do for a title like NSMBU, nevermind a level editor.

I own a wii u and I personally wouldn't even buy mario maker for £5. Level editors have never interested me in the slightest, and I will be voting with my pocket.

Have you even watched what the possibilities are within the game?
It's not because you're not interested in level editors, that you have to devaluate such games.

Hey guys,
through this post and youtube videos I found out that the game does not have slopes?
Or you cant add water tiles in stages?

I so wanted to create land hybrid stages sorta like my favorite Mario stage of all time.
XRGWJaN.png

Anyone remembers this stage?
https://youtu.be/MjQuz0vNbDE?t=9m38s

Kinda torn about this. ::(

Because... It's a new game with loads of content and almost unlimited possibilities in regards to Mario 2d platforming levels.

To me, that easily justifies the sticker price.

I'm pretty sure you can add water tiles. I believe I saw it during E3.

You can't add water tiles. Water levels are completely underwater, non-water levels have no water. fortresses have lava at the bottom, that's the most liquid you get.

There are also no dolphins or pufferfish.

TI82

Banned
You can't add water tiles. Water levels are completely underwater, non-water levels have no water. fortresses have lava at the bottom, that's the most liquid you get.

100%, its not just locked behind the dumb time wall?

That's just stupid.

Because... It's a new game with loads of content and almost unlimited possibilities in regards to Mario 2d platforming levels.

Ha. I hope they have a more expansive tileset if they make an NX sequel. DLC is probably out of the question.

Kinsei

Banned

Crap. The current level idea I have in my head "Bowser's Resort Castle" (Working Title) just got harder to make. I'm sure I can make due with just an underwater sub-level, but I wanted water segments in the castle itself.

100%, its not just locked behind the dumb time wall?

That's just stupid.

As proof here is a level where the guy wanted to make a Wind Waker level, but because there are no water tiles he used ice as a substitute.

Personally I'm not broken up at all. There's enough stuff in the game as it is to provide endless possibilities already, though I wouldn't dislike it either.

I can understand how introducing liquid tiles could be weird for Nintendo from an ease-of-use standpoint. How do you make sure the water is being placed inside a container, etc. As a theme with water at the base of the screen, though, that wouldn't be hard at all.

Simbabbad

I can understand how introducing liquid tiles could be weird for Nintendo from an ease-of-use standpoint. How do you make sure the water is being placed inside a container, etc.
Nintendo needs no container.

Giant_Bubble.PNG

donkey-kong-jungle-beat-20040826025359224.jpg

Ktdguide434.png

It's a silly omission, like Swoopers or Pokeys.

jeemer

Have you even watched what the possibilities are within the game?

Yeah, I'm completely uninterested.

I was pretty unimpressed with nsmbu and sm3dw too. I guess at this point I'm too jaded after decades of mario to want an infinite number of player created mario levels with 95% of the same assets. Not going to happen as long as nintendo are still around, but I feel like it's about time for mario to just die.

Gwarf

Banned
I don't understand the "price is justified by the content" defense.

Like, how boring will it be to play through your own levels? You'll want to play other people's creations, but the problem is 99% of user created content will be trash, just like what happened with the Littlebigplanet community. This would have been a far easier pill to swallow at $40 than at full price.

99% of content created by Adobe Photoshop is also trash...

Would you say Adobe Photoshop should be way cheaper because people suck at being artists?

Yes it's not apples to apples, but still I think people underestimate content creators, their complexity and their value.

It is many times more difficult to make any creator, especially if it is a solid creation experience.

If you think Photoshop is way overpriced, I think you would also find Mario Maker a bad value. Yes, the imitators exist, but they suck and that's why they're free.

Pinky

Banned

I was pretty unimpressed with nsmbu and sm3dw too. I guess at this point I'm too jaded after decades of mario to want an infinite number of player created mario levels with 95% of the same assets. Not going to happen as long as nintendo are still around, but I feel like it's about time for mario to just die.

What a ridiculous thing to say. "I don't like thing, so make it go away for good!" Or, you know, just don't bother playing Mario games. To wish for the end of an iconic character like Mario, in which many gamers still get enjoyment from, is just childish.

Peltz

Mario just isn't your thing, man.

Is this a game where it is better to buy a physical copy or a digital copy? I can't make up my mind, but I do like that you can pre-load the digital version.

amnesiac

Well you can get the artbook for free if you call a number and give them your eshop receipt code or something, so it doesn't really matter.

What a ridiculous thing to say. "I don't like thing, so make it go away for good!" Or, you know, just don't bother playing Mario games. To wish for the end of an iconic character like Mario, in which many gamers still get enjoyment from, is just childish.

You're wasting your time responding to someone like him.

Well you can get the artbook for free if you call a number and give them your eshop receipt code or something, so it doesn't really matter.

Can confirm. Nintendo says you have to give them the receipt code over the phone, but when I called all they needed was my email address, NNID, and mailing address. No idea when the thing's going to ship out, but I have an order number. Current status is "on backorder".

Coketruck

I feel like the game's content (and theoretically unlimited amount of new levels that can be played) justifies the price tag. However, I also think that a sequel (maybe as a launch title on the NX?) with expanded content is a no-brainier. New tile sets based on SMB2, All Stars and even stuff like Paper Mario, putting water on above-ground levels, vertical levels, create your own over world map... Endless possibilities.

Lutherian

Dear Gaffer,

If SMM seems too expansive for your wallet and you can't Google/Qwant/DuckDuckGo some websites to buy it at a lower price, then please, cancel your order and whine about this somewhere else.

You're welcome.

I thought it was $40 too. Not really feeling it at at $60 with all the other games out. I'll wait for a sale. It looks like a lot of fun though.

Mael

Actually, yes.

Photoshop has got to be one of the most pirated programs out there, for the number of people who Photoshop stuff.

Not really.
If Adobe is making a killing with corporate sales they shouldn't drop the price to satisfy the general demand for it.
Let people pirate if they want but come on hard anytime a company doesn't pay the premium.
On top of that it pretty much secure the corporate market because people outside of work use it, like it and want to use it at work.
It's the same idea why MSFT never minded people pirating their software.
Also corporate customers are less price sensitive so you can bleed them more easily.

Gwarf

Banned
Actually, yes.

Photoshop has got to be one of the most pirated programs out there, for the number of people who Photoshop stuff.

What does piracy have to do with the price?

Stealing from people doesn't mean the product should be cheaper.

Edit: Beaten like a paint.net download click advertisement!

If you think Photoshop is way overpriced, I think you would also find Mario Maker a bad value. Yes, the imitators exist, but they suck and that's why they're free.

Photoshop is an interesting example because you cannot buy current version anymore. You must rent it if you want a legal version. So from a specific viewpoint, Photoshop is INSANELY overpriced even if you already think so about Super Mario Maker.

What does piracy have to do with the price?

Stealing from people doesn't mean the product should be cheaper.

Specifically in the case of Photoshop, and the number of kids/teens/adults I have known that have pirated it my whole life...a lot of those people would have bought it if it was $50 and not hundreds of dollars. This isn't like gaming where the pirates never would have bought the game otherwise, Photoshop was literally priced wrong.

I think it's gotten better in recent years once they realized they could make money from casual users with student licenses and cheap subscriptions. But a decade or two ago it was ridiculously expensive, yet everyone had it. Definitely was priced wrong.

Photoshop is an interesting example because you cannot buy current version anymore. You must rent it if you want a legal version. So from a specific viewpoint, Photoshop is INSANELY overpriced even if you already think so about Super Mario Maker.

Exactly. I should say I don't think Mario Maker is overpriced, just that Photoshop is.

jeemer

You're wasting your time responding to someone like him.

Nice to know people can figure out my entire personality based on 4 sentences i wrote.

to be fair, it was poor phrasing as i was on the way out the door at work. i'm all for games existing for anyone and everyone. i do not sit actively wishing for franchises to be cancelled. i don't "hate" any game or series.

i have enjoyed mario games over the years, but recent entries have done very little for me. i personally would be unaffected if mario was put to bed for good at this point. for that reason, mario maker being full price melts my brain.

Mario just isn't your thing, man.

yeah, i think you're right man. i got a wii u so i thought i'd give this gens titles a shot, but i think i'm done with mario games.

Mael

Specifically in the case of Photoshop, and the number of kids/teens/adults I have known that have pirated it my whole life...a lot of those people would have bought it if it was $50 and not hundreds of dollars. This isn't like gaming where the pirates never would have bought it, Photoshop was literally priced wrong.

I think it's gotten better in recent years once they realized they could make money from casual users with student licenses and cheap subscriptions. But a decade or two ago it was ridiculously expensive, yet everyone had it. Definitely was priced wrong.

You misunderstand Adobe's goal with Photoshop.
They don't give a shit about the market of students and casual users.
They want the corporate money and professional, these people don't have a choice and want the best regardless of price.
Why do you think they're renting their software instead of selling them now?

Pinky

Banned
to be fair, it was poor phrasing as i was on the way out the door at work. i'm all for games existing for anyone and everyone. i do not sit actively wishing for franchises to be cancelled. i don't "hate" any game or series.

i have enjoyed mario games over the years, but recent entries have done very little for me. i personally would be unaffected if mario was put to bed for good at this point. for that reason, mario maker being full price melts my brain.

Fair enough.

Top Bottom